Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra  (Read 7735 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:36:57 am »

I bet if he had pasteurized Bulgarian boy-milt, even in January, he'd have no problems.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:37:16 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:08 am »

Quote
I hate you in the only way that helps me understand you.

I've got a new favourite quote ever. Sweet.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »

For a Fuck You Friday, this strip was remarkably devoid of Fuck Yous.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:33:20 pm »

Holy shit this is good. I officially don't care what other people think about Molly anymore, I'm gonna say flat-out that I think she is awesome.

So many good words.
"Catholic Strategy Gus"
"correctly aknowledging the presence of a registered service animal"
"fully septic maniac"
"I hate you in the only way that helps me understand you."
"dead in the middle"

I don't know what Catholic Strategy Gus means. Perhaps it refers to the Catholic rule against contraceptives? They have that rule, right?

I am gonna be thinking about that last panel for days, too. It's hella deep.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »

I think the Catholic Strategy, with its implied sorta-deception, is not unlike what we Down South encounter around Baptists re: alcohol.  The old joke goes that you always take two Baptists giraffeing with you, because if you take one, he'll drink all your beer.  The punchline (that the mutual social pressure will prevent either from drinking) works the same way as the Catholic Strategy.  If another Catholic (in this case, the spouse) knows you're at the titty bar helping put a single mom through college, then you're less likely to go.

Or is "Catholic Strategy Gus" an invective, referring to the compulsive need to tell (confess?) everything to one's spouse?

As a Presbyterian, I'm pretty sure that I'm thinking about this way too much.  I'm gonna go have a drink.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:17:39 pm »

I took the "Catholic Strategy" to mean the idea that you can commit any sin you want and still get absolution so long as you contritely confess.  A sort of "It's better to seek forgiveness than permission" kind of thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:35:05 pm »

Hmm. All good theories. Whatever it means, "The Catholic Strategy" would make a great band name.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »

I like Molly. I am also married to a man who sometimes finds it difficult to Like things, even when they are Nice.

It's got nothing to do with her hectoring him into going someplace and everything to do with him carping about each detail because deep down inside he truly believes that he does not deserve to be happy. When a man is chronically unhappy, his wife feels like she's failing him, and when he repeatedly chooses unhappiness, it can make a wife angry. She thinks, "Why won't he let me succeed at the only thing that matters?"

Or so I hear.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:11:30 pm »

For a Fuck You Friday, this strip was remarkably devoid of Fuck Yous.

As a lady, I can tell you it is all about the fuck you's .  Molly is saying it with her mind.  Look at her eyes those panels, and you will see.  These are skillfully drawn "fuck you" eyes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 05:15:33 pm »

How do you know that he didn't choose the place in an attempt to make her happy, and now is ruining it by badmouthing everything?

I'm not saying, necessarily, that that happened, I'm just saying you can't assume either way.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:46:30 pm »

Beef has depression.  Nothing makes him happy.  This equals "fuck  you" for Molly.

As a fun side note:   "Fuck you" eyes and "Fuck me" eyes are totally different things. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 06:35:01 pm »

Sure I can, in the context of the strip. History suggests that this is a Molly push.

Heck, Beef has had enough trouble cooking up his own roasted chicken with ding-dong.

Sure, if you're already biased against Molly it looks that way. But I don't think we have enough information either way to assume that she dragged him out to some fancy restaurant against his will.

I was looking through the archives just now and while I can't find any evidence of a time when Molly has forced Beef into doing something he really does not want to do. However, I did sort of rediscover what I like about the Molly-Beef dynamic, something I think 'Stad does really well, which is to invent marital arguments in which both partners have valid complaints and there is no clear solution. It's a lot like life, in that rarely is someone completely wrong or completely right, and when it comes right down to it, all we have to work with is the sum total of our shared insecurities.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 07:22:42 pm »

It's a lot like life, in that rarely is someone completely wrong or completely right, and when it comes right down to it, all we have to work with is the sum total of our shared insecurities.
oball's sig's source!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:08 pm »

Thanks you. The phrase I'm thinking is "preponderance of evidence".

But I'll agree with you on the second half of your second paragraph. Like life, Achewood is often 256 shades of grey instead of easy peasy black/white, and that is a thing that makes it gooderer.

And bringing it back home, I am laying a black/white label on Molly sooooo...

Awww, you're not rolling over *that* easy, are you? Things were just starting to get good!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:27:42 pm »

Ash, I am looking at you with my "fuck you" eyes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up