Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010  (Read 5934 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:57 pm »

It's alright mate, I'm just a cock really
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 02:44:05 am »

It's alright mate, I'm just a... cock really

FTFY
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

My childhood best friend -- with whom I am still in contact --

(however inconsistent that contact may be)

 -- uses ellipses...and dashes --

and odd
   spacing --

because she thinks --

apparently --

that she is...

Emily Dickenson.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »

I used to use more ellipses when writing fiction until I noticed that when I was reading fiction, nearly every time a writer used ellipses, it was a bad sentence that annoyed me. So I try to use them VERY sparingly now.

I also have a tendency to use too many dashes in my other writing, partly as a way around the fact that certain of my editors object to any slightly complicated sentence. But one of them finally smacked me down about it (nicely) and I am much more concious of it and careful only to use them when I can't think of any other way out.

I have no idea whether messageboard posts count as fiction or nonfiction so I don't know which bad tendency I might be not paying enough attention to here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »

I have no idea whether messageboard posts count as fiction or nonfiction so I don't know which bad tendency I might be not paying enough attention to here.

Non-fiction, I am not a real person so.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:15:36 pm »

My childhood best friend -- with whom I am still in contact --

(however inconsistent that contact may be)

 -- uses ellipses...and dashes --

and odd
   spacing --

because she
thinks --

apparently --

that
she is...

Emily Dickenson.
emendo gratis
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »

Dashes are alright when used judiciously or if you were Jack Kerouac, and even he isn't anymore.

What I hate is when people are careless about them and start a clause with a dash, then end it with a comma.  The hell!
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »

http://www.cwgp.org/gurewitch_and_onstad.php

appears to be in Rochester New York

What's the panel called? "How to succeed at webcomics by never updating"?
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »

canned
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

If I knew I could sustain a family and own a home by drawing cats once every ten days I would have taken more art classes in college.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 09:42:31 pm »

If I knew I could sustain a family and own a home by drawing cats once every ten days I would have taken more art classes in college.

based on his current business model/schedule, if onstrad would update every 10 days, he could afford in excess of 3 families and 5 homes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:20:50 am by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 10:31:18 pm »

based on his current schedule, if onstrad would update every 10 days, he could afford in excess of 3 families and 5 homes.

And if he put just ONE mp3 of his butt on the internet, he could even double that.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »

is he still sitting at his drawing board? 
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Gurewitch and Chris Onstad Wednesday, February 10, 2010
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41:05 pm »

is he still sitting at his drawing board? 
Dude webcomics are really hard, give the man some time for his creative process to work.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up