Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: False Baseball for the New Generation  (Read 32886 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 02:41:55 pm »

OK, here for your handy reference:
Banana Town Bollos      Carlos del Vaca
The LSD No-No         miles
Mad Cows            Turbo Ninja
Fightin' Phlogistons          iron_felix
Tommy Friggin' Tiger      Asherdan
THA RAIN MAN COMETH   A-Cap
Obscure References      AugustWest
Sturdy Thighbones      Jorge Fabregas
Hot Bloody Fat         Asherdan Jr.
Heartattack and Vine      LFM
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »

Iron Felix streams his starting pitchers, pass it down.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »

Well, duh.  My pre-draft rankings backfired horribly and I wound up with two starting pitchers who weren't starting the season either on the DL or in the minors.

Is this a breach of false baseball etiquette?  I can stop if people have a problem with it, but I've never done any fantasy sports outside of these TOUAMB leagues and nobody complained for the first three years, so I always thought it was just an ordinary strategy.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 05:27:12 pm »

It's no breach as far as I'm concerned and I have dabbled in it from time to time. I'm just commenting on different strategies that I see, generally. It would be kind of boring if there was only way to go about it.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:31 pm »

What the hell does that even meaning, streaming his pitchers?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 05:45:12 pm »

It means that Don Drysdale Bert Blyleven wishes that he could give felix golden showers.

I think "churning," would be the more accurate descriptor, but I was too late to the game to coin any terminology.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2363395_stream-starting-pitchers-fantasy-baseball.html

Quote
Streaming starting pitchers--picking pitchers of the waiver wire daily and dropping them the next for another pitcher--is one way to make up for weaknesses in the starting pitching you drafted.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 06:13:55 pm »

But...but... how will your players build any team spirit?  Any comraderie?  Any esprit de corps, if you will?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:11 pm »

Define "streams."  You mean, picks up a guy who's starting tomorrow, then tomorrow he dumps that guy in favor of someone who's starting the next day?

Yeah, you can do that.  I do it sometimes.  It's all part of managing your roster.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 01:41:38 am »

Hey, here's a joke I made up after today's Mets-Nats game.  What did K-Rod say to Willie Harris?  "Fuck you!  FUCK you!  FUCK YOU!"

Ha ha haaaaaaaaa.  Frikkin' awesome.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »

Hmmmm.  Here I was miffed that I didn't have Roy Halladay's complete game, zero-earned run effort in my lineup yesterday.  But then, I won all the pitching categories except saves anyway, so no biggie.

Looks like I am the all-pitching, no-offense team.  But it's early days yet.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2010, 03:48:28 pm »

Looks like I am the all-pitching, no-offense team.  But it's early days yet.

And my pitching is weaker than Ukraine.  I thought I'd have the bats to make up for it but so far everyone seems to be asleep.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2010, 04:35:36 pm »

Tha sugah cameth pourin down on ash this week. Feel the burn, old man.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2010, 05:26:39 pm »

The Sturdy Thighbones weathered a crappy week from Justin Verlander, Mike Gonzalez (blech), Jake Peavy, and Javy Vazquez to pull out a solid victory over Heartattack and Vine.

I love the hell out of my lineup. Especially now that Gordon Beckham's second base eligibility has kicked in  It  may not have been too bright to assemble an AL-only starting pitching staff, though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:30:29 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2010, 05:59:34 pm »

Of course it's a long season. Look forward to continued indignities this week, though.



Edit: Let the record show that this small bit of trash talk seemed to inspire an immediate Max Scherzer mini-meltdown.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:18:37 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:56 pm »

Two beisbol things I've never seen before in this play:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7393789

1. Someone severely underestimating Juan Pierre's arm (who knew that this was possible?)
2. A third base coach running into fair territory seemingly to distract the cut-off man.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af214/earthshiner/what.jpg

Watch around the 1:00 mark:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7399911
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up