Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone like the Wire?  (Read 7785 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »

i try to like their old stuff,
the MBV cover of that one song is pretty good.

but their newer single is great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rkMv6iF0c&feature=related
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »

I like it.  Jangly guitars and all.

Let the "Holy Crap!  Arkabee!" comments ensue.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 11:01:57 pm »

A must if you have not already been directed to this by someone else on the internet: On The Wire as a Victorian serial novel:
http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/03/when-its-not-your-turn-the-quintessentially-victorian-vision-of-ogdens-the-wire/
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 04:52:17 pm »

Dammit I was just going to post that.

I've seen a couple episodes, but like Ark I've listened to the band a lot more.

Hey Ark, how ya doin?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:57 am »

Dammit I was just going to post that.

I've seen a couple episodes, but like Ark I've listened to the band a lot more.

Hey Ark, how ya doin?

so so approaching fair to middlin.

you?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 01:31:02 pm »

so so approaching fair to middlin.

you?

Lot of upheaval right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ok.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 12:09:48 am »

Lot of upheaval right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ok.

i am endeavoring to persevere, myself.  would you like a plate, too?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 08:00:42 pm »

i am endeavoring to persevere, myself.  would you like a plate, too?

Sure!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 02:03:35 am »

There is a character in the recent movie Cedar Rapids that is a fan of "the HBO series The Wire.".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:09:03 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 04:25:55 am »

"You slinging bean pies up in this mother fucker?"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »

Man, I downloaded this show and just watched the pilot episode and I really, really liked it. Good to know I have entertainment/brain oblivion stored up for some months ahead. Five years from now I'll download Breaking Bad and will let you know what I think of it.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 07:55:32 pm »

YEAH! This show is excellent. The author also wrote a great essay about how he was inspired by a book I really enjoy, Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

Don't get turned off by the kind of slow start to season 2. It ended up being one of my favorites.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like the Wire?
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:10 pm »

The Wire was a great show. It really got me interested in television again. I don't have cable so I had no idea that television could be so good. Broadcast television had gotten so bad I had stopped watching altogether. The Wire is definitely cut from a different cloth than CSI or Law and Order or whatever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up