Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wednesday Night Cookery  (Read 16240 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »

Roommate and I have two different bottles of ketchup. Mine stays in the fridge. Because scalding hot fries dipped in room-temperature ketchup just aren't the same.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:39 am »

Scalding hot fries need to sit in their box a little longer.  Pizza burns with salt rubbed in them are not rad.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2010, 03:27:57 am »

Dude, I hope that warm potato salad you're eating is mustard based instead of mayo-based.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2010, 05:59:26 am »

Dude, I hope that warm potato salad you're eating is mustard based instead of mayo-based.

THIS
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2010, 07:16:45 am »

Most foods, I either want them refrigerator-cold or thoroughly heated. My palate is somehow related to the McDLT.

Ketchup, fridge. Mustard, fridge.

Peanut butter?

You know, I will put the extra effort into spreading cold peanut butter if it gives me cold creamy peanut butter instead of a lukewarm peanut-flavoured oilslick the consistency of jizm.

I am just that motivated and hardworking.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »

Dude, mustard, mayo or lemon based, they all get eaten warm. Here's the secret...make it then eat it.

No sir, I will not.  Immediately eating it does not allow time for the flavors to meld.  The preparation is not complete until it's sat for a few hours at a minimum.  The dressing has to have time to properly permeate the potatoes.


Quote
Also, all you people eating cold foods are evolutionary dead ends. As soon as the juice is turned off you'll all wither up.

Me & my warm foods and knowledge of compressor-free food lasting? Me & my GIT will be swinging.

I got that knowledge too, but I choose to use available technology while it's available.  I know how to dig a latrine, but I don't shit in the backyard.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »

No sir, I will not.  Immediately eating it does not allow time for the flavors to meld.  The preparation is not complete until it's sat for a few hours at a minimum.  The dressing has to have time to properly permeate the potatoes.

This is why I hate the trend of guacamole made table-side. Yes, at a place like Chevy's it proves your guac wasn't made last week and heat-treated to avoid browning but I've been to nice restaurants that used to have really, really good guac that now just tastes like separate ingredients because of this trend. I'm looking at you, Oyamel.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »


I got that knowledge too, but I choose to use available technology while it's available.  I know how to dig a latrine, but I don't shit in the backyard.

This.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 03:41:13 pm »

This is why I hate the trend of guacamole made table-side. Yes, at a place like Chevy's it proves your guac wasn't made last week and heat-treated to avoid browning but I've been to nice restaurants that used to have really, really good guac that now just tastes like separate ingredients because of this trend. I'm looking at you, Oyamel.

Oh, I thought that was just a douche move that a lot of restaurants had adopted to justify charging an extra $5 for the guac.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »

I bet you guys can figure out that you could substitute 'avocado' for 'potato' up there and get my feelings on the guacamole topic.

I'm not sure I'd be cool with the $5 extra for the privilege, though.

I like me some straight up slices of avocado but I also like to get my guac on. Or make some avocado compound butter. Sometimes it's nice when your avocado plays with the other flavors at the playground.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2010, 04:52:25 pm »

you're for "separate but equal" but calling others "potato racists" ash? really? really.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »

Ash is a very complex man.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »

welp, i sure feel for you buddy.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wednesday Night Cookery
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 12:15:38 am »

Buttered the bread. Shredded (pre-) sharp cheddar. I wonder if I used too much? Bread isn't stale, but not really fresh.

It's Tuesday but it just felt right, so I made a grilled cheese sandwich. Used different bread (white grocery store bread this time, but really good white grocery store bread) and American cheese product. Success! Except that while I love American cheese on a burger, it doesn't have enough flavor for a grilled cheese sandwich, in my opinion. But this tasted exactly as it did when I was 5. I'll have to experiment with different cheeses and better bread now. Once I have the grilled cheese conquered, what next? Seriously, I'm spending way too much money eating out (was looking through my checking account today, FUCK) and need to starting eating most of my meals at home, or bring them from home. And I haven't cooked consistently for like 4 or 5 years. I'm not joking.

Oh yeah, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Christ I love this beer.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up