Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92984 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »

That is one of the best books ever. I also liked Kraken. I don't like all of his books, but I loved those.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »

Quote
My anime loving niece pointed that out to me too, but apparently the victors in Battle Royale are still treated like murderous scum once the event is over.  In Hunger Games they become the living trophies of the inhuman state they live within.

This isn't completely true... or rather... in Battle Royale they are treated like murderers because SPOILER:
they decide to BECOME THE RULING BODY and kill the guy running the game. It isn't clear (to me, at least) what would have happened if they had won.

Just saw that movie, it was really enjoyable.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2012, 08:56:55 pm »

The Hunger Games books are on my list. Pedro recommended I see the movie first, then read the books. My BFF said that for most book/movie stories, that's a good plan, but in this case, she thinks I might enjoy the movie more if I've already read the book. What do you guys think?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »

yesterday on Reddit someone posted "This is my response when someone asks why I didn't read the book before I saw the movie."

Kind of thinking I might just alternate rewatching The Wire with reading urban history books for the rest of my life. The other night I found myself staying up until almost 3 reading articles from when St Louis thought about building an El in the early 20th century.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2012, 04:18:19 am »

That is one of the best books ever. I also liked Kraken. I don't like all of his books, but I loved those.

I picked up The City & The City on somebody's recommendation here, maybe yours. But I don't remember it being that strongly recommended. Just got bumped to the top.

I liked Hunger Games when I read it. That was two years ago and I haven't had a desire to read the other two. It was recommended to me by a lady with whom I was having sexual relations, and I think I lost interest when that ended. Oh sexual relations. Is there anything you won't make me do?

I just finished Hunger Games this morning.  Since it was published in 2008 and the Great Outdoor Fight was in 2006, I think Suzanne Collins hella ripped off Onstad.  Also Romeo and Juliet.

And The Lottery? It's a chilling tale of conformity gone mad.


Kind of thinking I might just alternate rewatching The Wire with reading urban history books for the rest of my life. The other night I found myself staying up until almost 3 reading articles from when St Louis thought about building an El in the early 20th century.

I was watching The Wire again until I hit a wall halfway through the fourth episode of the 5th season. I hate that fuck*ng plagiarist reporter. What a wiener.



Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:32 am »

yeah, that plotline and the serial killer one were pretty bad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2012, 08:29:38 pm »

Read and saw Hunger Games this time home, books first. I think I wouldn't have been happy the other way around.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2012, 10:05:35 pm »

Read and saw Hunger Games this time home, books first. I think I wouldn't have been happy the other way around.

Me too.  I much prefer reading first, it restricts my imagination the other way.

What did you think of the movie?  I thought it was pretty well done.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:43 am »

i havent seen THG yet, but jennifer lawrence is a talented(also, fuck*ng gorgeous) young lady.

something i just realized: she's from KY.  in Winters Bone, she played a tough, starving, put upon girl from appalachia who had to take care of her family.  in THG, her character is a tough, starving, put upon girl who has to take care of her family.  they live in district 13, which used to be appalachia.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2012, 09:44:04 pm »

I thought the movie was whizz-bang. Of course, a lot of what made the book good would have made the movie six hours long. In addition (spoilers):

It is hard to see Woody Harrelson in a movie and not think "hey, it's Woody Harrelson." Other than that, they didn't make Katniss cold and heartless enough. In the books, she takes zero shit. In the movie, I don't think they played that up enough. That takes a lot of character development to make it believeble and not just "wow, she's a bitch".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2012, 05:38:46 pm »

Finally getting around to The Diamond Age. I got about 70 pages into it last summer and then got distracted, so I had to restart. Doing a readalong with my BFF, who almost exclusively reads trashy romance and urban fantasy nowadays, so that'll be interesting. I wonder if she'll like it -- I seriously doubt there will be any gratuitous romantic affairs.

I'm also stoked to be starting a new nonfiction at the same time -- The Disappearing Spoon (And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements). I think I picked it up based on somebody's positive review on Goodreads, but I'm not sure.

(I'm trying, and failing, to keep myself limited to 2 books at a time, one fiction and one non. I may abandon The Price of Everything because I suspect I've already finished the good bits.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:19 pm »

Finally getting around to The Diamond Age. I got about 70 pages into it last summer and then got distracted, so I had to restart. Doing a readalong with my BFF, who almost exclusively reads trashy romance and urban fantasy nowadays, so that'll be interesting. I wonder if she'll like it -- I seriously doubt there will be any gratuitous romantic affairs.

This is one of my favorite books. Like most Stephenson books I'm pretty hazy on how it ended but I remember the rest being excellent.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:39 am »

This is one of my favorite books. Like most Stephenson books I'm pretty hazy on how it ended but I remember the rest being excellent.

Yeah, that's the standard knock on Stephenson, and there's probably a little merit to it.  I don't care, though.  The rest of the books are so fuck*ng great that I just don't give a shit that he doesn't do endings well.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2012, 04:38:26 am »

I remember loving that book. I did a book report on it and told my 9th grade English class all about every twist and turn of the plot. It was riveting, I'm sure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2012, 07:05:01 am »

the baroque cycle had the perfect ending, i don't care what anybody says. he nailed it that time.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24   Go Up