Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 92974 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »

I am reading the Narnia series with the oldest daughter (if you couldn't guess by my previous post).  We finished "Dawn Treader" this weekend.  The last chapter of that book gives me CHILLS.  I remember it from when I read it as a kid, and again this time around.  One of the most masterful build-ups to an event that I think I've ever read.  I know the movie for this book is coming out soon, and I am debating whether to see it or not.  Can they pull that off, or will they freakin' butcher it?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2010, 08:06:39 pm »

I'm currently about 40 pages into The Ghost Map, about the 1854 London cholera epidemic, on my wife's recommendation. It was the book for Multnomah County's Everybody Reads 2010. So far it is horrifying, but also interesting.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:56 pm »

Not exactly a book, but thought a few TOUAMBers may appreciate this:

15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better Than Anyone Else Ever Has Or Will

Sorry if this has already been posted.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2011, 05:13:27 pm »

I just stumbled upon that yesterday and had it linked for my Friday linkdump.  In fact, I dropped a comment on it, suggesting that this should have been included:

"Where is home? I've wondered where home is, and I realized, it's not Mars or someplace like that, it's Indianapolis when I was nine years old. I had a brother and a sister, a cat and a dog, and a mother and a father and uncles and aunts. And there's no way I can get there again."

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:50 am »

The U of Chicago Press is still doing a monthly eBook for free.

This month is The Lavender Scare which combines history, perverts and shameful behaviour.

Right down my alley, in other words.

That practically makes it TOUAMB's official book.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2011, 04:34:44 am »

Made a pretty good find at Borders over the weekend. Sure, I felt like a vulture, but I got Flannery O'Connor's Collected Works for under $15. I went immediately to Everything That Rises Must Converge. That story is so good, but so depressing. So, so depressing. The last two paragraphs are a sure way to kill any buzz I might have. But so good. I'm gonna read the other stories in that collection this week.

Other than that I've been reading crime fiction nearly exclusively for at least a couple months.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2011, 05:38:18 am »

Flattery O'Connor is my favorite author.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »

What crime fiction? Anything you'd recommend?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:08 pm »

Flattery O'Connor is my favorite author.

Flattery? I don't enough know how that could be made into a joke.

Flannery.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »

Shit, and here I thought that was on purpose.

I wonder if that's where all those cans came from. I wish I was smart enough to make that joke.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2011, 04:50:03 pm »

I wonder if that's where all those cans came from. I wish I was smart enough to make that joke.

Oh, you are, you are. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »

[insert joke about an irishman who only pays compliments to sheep]
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:01 am »

What crime fiction? Anything you'd recommend?

I've really been enjoying Wambaugh's Hollywood series. Read a couple Robert Crais books, those were pretty good. A couple of Walter Mosley's newer ones. Oh, and Charlie Huston, I really enjoyed Caught Stealing.

And Elmore Leonard. Always Elmore Leonard. Swag is the most recent one of his I read I think, it's an older one but one of his best.

Right now I'm reading Killing Floor by Lee Child, and it's been good so far. For some reason he's never interested me, but someone strongly recommended him and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I had a bunch of Amazon gift money and also spent some time at Borders, so I have a stack of books that I'll post about if they end up being any good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2011, 03:44:51 pm »

Try Westlake, too, if you haven't. He's fantastic.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2011, 05:58:54 pm »

Try Westlake, too, if you haven't. He's fantastic.

Seconded.  John Dortmunder is a classic character.  "Kahawa" was another favorite Westlake book of mine.

Little bit more old school, (of Westlake's generation), but I love Lawrence Sanders, especially the "Deadly Sin" books.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Up