Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aminals  (Read 98392 times)

Asherdan

• Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 664
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
Re: Aminals
« Reply #975 on: August 03, 2017, 05:10:53 pm »

hosss need to lay down for an hour or two a day and let themselves really sleep. Being a herd and prey animal, they need to find a pretty safe situation in their head before they'll do that. Because, y'know, the whole being eaten alive thing.

So I've been keeping an eye out to see if Cocoa was comfortable enough to start bedding down. I went out way earlier than usual the other morning and got my answer. She'd gone into Oakie's stall with him and laid down to snooze while he stood next to her, watching out.

That's a good sign for both hosss.

Can't nothing stop me from singing "Oakie's got a girlfriend, Oakie's got a girlfriend!" at him, either.
You cannot confiscate my will

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 07, 2017, 04:32:50 pm »

We cleared out the fenced garden yesterday. For the fall/Winter it's going to be a pen for these fellas.

Surprisingly, Spouse has an interest in raising meat birds, chicken and turkey at least.

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 16, 2017, 10:03:36 pm »

Hammy and Jab-Jab in repose:

TBH, I'm disappointed in the conformation and stock quality on both of them. Jab-Jab is going to make weight for the fair and be eligible to show and auction, but if Hammy doesn't pick it up she won't make weight and have to show as a 'feeder'. Jab-Jab has his toes bowed out in the rear and his shoulders aren't bulked out like you'd want, either. Neither of them will show for shit as market stock so I've told the youngest boy to concentrate on his showmanship.

I mean, they're only pigs and the one who comes home will still be delicious. I'm down to my last four pounds of Buckle bacon in the freezer and I'll be walloped if I'm ever buying store quality pig-belly again.

ALSO: I just got notice the turkey chicks have shipped, so I'll pick them up tomorrow or Friday. WHEEEEEE!

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 17, 2017, 12:41:24 am »

Why do you care about conformation on pigs? Is the bacon less delicious if his toes aren't perfect?
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 472
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #979 on: August 17, 2017, 02:08:47 am »

If they are really cute you can salt the bellies with tears which saves a few cents a lb, really adds up if it's a well-fed pig
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 17, 2017, 02:34:00 pm »

Well, the ugly one is going in the freezer, the less ugly one is going to the fair and then to the junior livestock auction. A pretty pig who shows well will make more ca$h at auction for the kid to fund their next project with. Unfortunately, it's looking like the best the kid can hope for is fair meat market pricing (about $1 a pound) for four months of work. That's a little disappointing to a kid who really wants dairy and breeding goats.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 17, 2017, 05:00:26 pm »

But why will people pay more for the pretty pig at auction? Like I know there are kinds of livestock that people breed fancy for show. But these are just for eating, yes?

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 17, 2017, 05:44:41 pm »

Nope, a champion gilt (unbred female) is stock a farmer would add to his line to improve the overall genetics of either show or market animals.

But the gilt is a poor grower (she may not make the 200lb. minimum to sell) and she looks off, so her value as breeding stock is squat.

Jab-Jab is a neutered male (barrow) so he is all for market.

The optimal plan here would have been to have a decent gilt to show and market because as meat or brood stock she'd have greater value. The barrow could be shown for fun and then put in the freezer.

Like I said up thread, it'd be nice for the kid to get a better return for four months of work is all.

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 17, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »

Oh shit, ALSO, the turkeys just arrived at the post office so Spouse picked them up and is getting them into the brood tank. All ten made it, hooray!

TOMORROW:: TURKEY PICTURES

Important update: one chick did arrive dead as a stone. I guess it's not too easy to count the little fuzzballs when loading them up for shipment, though, because the other 13 (!!!) made it.

Jesus fuck, I got a FLOCK.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:19:20 pm by Asherdan »

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 17, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »

Maybe they throw in extra because they know not all of them usually make it? Really, it's kind of surprising any of them do, via the post office.

Asherdan

• Mod Squad
  • Todd
  • [Evil Scientist Laugh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 18, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »

Yes, people say they throw in a few extra because of travel deaths, but it's not an official thing. Just a customer service effort.

GOOBLE GOOBLE!

Story time: I thought Spouse was going to put them in the tank but she got all eager and started cleaning the tank out, so she put the turkeys in the extra small animal cage we have. Then she had a nice thought and took them in the house and set them up in the den. After half an hour she finished with the brood tank and came in to a turkey chick horror, all little chicks sprawled out in total dying distress, shivering.

The den is the coldest room in the house and they were under the A/C vent...

I gotta give her credit, though. She bundled them up in a big beach towel and set them on top of a heating pad to recover for half an hour, then she took the cage out into the garage where it was 90 and hooked up their heat lamp and water. So, they all made it. I set them up in the brood tank for final and got their food and water set up. All 13 made it through the night and are looking good.

We got so many birds that Spouse mentioned keeping one female, kind of like how the president does turkey amnesty each Thanksgiving, and letting her go in with the chickens and try to lay.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]   Go Up