Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama make me stop voting?  (Read 6668 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:56 pm »

You're absolutely right.  Things aren't perfect yet. 

So, let's give up on trying to make them better.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 04:35:20 pm »

I'm not quitting shit, but I am  not voting for another major party canidate not named kucinich.

I am also not sure that things getting worse wouldn't be better.  Maybe letting Palin burn this shit to the ground would be the fastest way to get a reasonable society. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:39:56 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 04:57:25 pm »

See, the difference is when we say that we are right.  You are either wrong, selgiraffe or ignorant.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 05:04:47 pm »

i don't know, we just had basically 30 years of unmooring and destruction and i'm kind of waiting for the rebuilding to start. reagan, bush 1, clinton, bush 2; i don't know that we're any better off as a planet than we were during the cold war.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 05:32:05 pm »

gimme Teddy R. and LBJ any day of the week. Those were dudes who knew how to Get Shit Done.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »


Screw those guys, man. I want my Nixon and another J. Edgar.

Nixon??!!  That RINO socialist?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 11:50:41 pm »

I'm not quitting shit, but I am  not voting for another major party canidate not named kucinich.

I am also not sure that things getting worse wouldn't be better.  Maybe letting Palin burn this shit to the ground would be the fastest way to get a reasonable society. 

Maybe Dennis needs to be the power behind the throne and let Elizabeth run for the President.   If we're going to elect on looks, I'd take her over Palin any day.
Logged

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 06:00:29 am »

I don't mean to be a dick but none of you are making any sense
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »

I voted for Kodos.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »

If you keep electing the least of the possible evils, the hope is that you slowly progress to someone with very little evil, to continue the turn of phrase.

Some of the best changes happen over the course of generations and, sure, that sucks because we're only given so many years of membership into this damned human race but that is the ticket you're given and that's no reason to spite future folks taking The Ride out of simple impatience.

Obama ain't perfect but John McCain probably would'a turned most of the Arabian desert into glass and... that not having happened is still a win.

These are the things I tell myself so I can sleep at night, sure, but that doesn't necessarily make them ineffective strategies toward governance.

Throw your votes away on psycho narcissists who talk a good game like Ralph Nader, just to prove some goddamned point, and instead of Al Gore winning and being a mostly-well-meaning-slightly-compromised president, you end up with a dude born with a silver oil derrick in his mouth, trying to burn the world down because White Rapture Jesus told him to.

Consider the myth of Ragnarok: the good guys can never stop the end of the world, all they can do is wake up and put it off another day.

That's more or less how I vote, I think. Sometimes we must change by fractions not whole numbers. Sometimes we can't change at all, just hold off The Bastards from making it worse and... in our goddamned mayfly lives, maybe that IS winning.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 06:02:30 am »

But... but...

Then I couldn't have made all those cultural references and pretend that I'm clever!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 03:27:28 pm »

I find that "blind faith in the face of insurmountable evidence" really works for me.

As a life strategy in general, and specifically when it comes to politics and religion.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »

I find that "blind faith in the face of insurmountable evidence" really works for me.

It's funny how you can agree with people so much in some ways and be completely opposite in others.
This isn't just a glib observation by the way, I've been noticing a bit lately how many of my friends who I agree with about so many things are operating from completely different first principles.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »

It's funny how you can agree with people so much in some ways and be completely opposite in others.
This isn't just a glib observation by the way, I've been noticing a bit lately how many of my friends who I agree with about so many things are operating from completely different first principles.

For the record, I was being sort-of flip and sort-of serious.

I mean, I vote because I believe it will make a difference, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. Why? Because it makes me feel better to believe that, and it doesn't hurt anything or anybody. And maybe it does, in some small way, matter -- not today, not tomorrow, but someday, when my grandkids are having grandkids, the world might be different because enough people like me took the smallest possible action and helped elect a slightly-less-evil version of President.

This is also the reason I pray for people in need, regardless of their personal beliefs about God. Might help, can't hurt.

It feels better to believe in a higher power than not. I've tried it both ways, and the latter just results in my feeling confused and angry all the time. So I *choose* to believe in a loving God, and I *choose* to believe in democracy, because to allow disbelief and disillusionment to cloud my worldview is to succumb to despair.

However, YMMV. I certainly understand that to many (most) people of intelligence, this sort of willful self-delusion is unfathomable.

Fortunately, both my God and my government promote tolerance.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Obama make me stop voting?
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »

It feels better to believe in a higher power than not. I've tried it both ways, and the latter just results in my feeling confused and angry all the time. So I *choose* to believe in a loving God

I am not trying to start a debate, but find it interesting that I have also tried it both ways and come to the opposite conclusion. But I should also point out that I have never not been confused and angry all the time, so this probably says much more about certain psychological traits I have. I just feel less confused and angry as a non-believer.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up