Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25510 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

Also: apparently a California-style burrito that you get in not-California is different from a California Burrito you get here in southern California.  A California Burrito is carne asada, cheese, and french fries.  Apparently a California-style burrito is any generic burrito + avocado?

Are the french fries on the burrito or served as a side dish?  Are there no beans on said burrito?

I think the main thing that distinguishes a California burrito from it's brethren is that the beans are whole rather than refried.  The beans are sometimes black rather than pinto (i've seen them both ways).  It also has rice along with the choice of meat and cheese, and can be had with any number of veggies added, avocado included.  It's also typically wrapped in aluminum foil for whatever reason.

A Mexican style burrito, for lack of a better term, typically is filled with refried beans and some kind of meat and cheese.  It's served on a plate topped with gravy and/or cheese and maybe onions.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2010, 01:33:57 pm »

Of course, I can't fathom gravy on fries, either. Cheese, sure, but cheese with gravy seems to make the choice of gravy even less appealing than just pouring gravy on them alone.

Oh man, gravy fries with an open face roast beef sandwich is Comfort Food. Also: Diner Food. Any diner that does not offer this dish needs to seriously reevaluate its life choices.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »

I hate ketchup, period.

I dip my fries in mayonnaise.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2010, 02:52:50 pm »

So we now have 3 threads proving hot dog sauce is pretty much confined entirely to western PA.

Western New York has something called "chili sauce" (not really close to chili as we know it from Texas or elsewhere) that they put on  hot dogs.  I think that's close.

You know what I sometimes like on my french fries?  Barbecue sauce.  SUCK. ON. THAT.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2010, 02:59:09 pm »

high five jay-ell. i guess it's a good thing i add so much pepper to my fries-dipping mayo, else i might be deranged and/or infantile.  ::)

I think the main thing that distinguishes a California burrito from it's brethren is that the beans are whole rather than refried.  The beans are sometimes black rather than pinto (i've seen them both ways).  It also has rice along with the choice of meat and cheese, and can be had with any number of veggies added, avocado included.  It's also typically wrapped in aluminum foil for whatever reason.

what you're describing here is known as a Mission burrito, from its origin at a restaurant in the Mission district of San Fransisco. a standard Mexican burrito isn't nearly as overpacked and tightly-wrapped as a Mission burrito, and the refried/whole bean distinction you make holds true. we have a great local chain called Willy's that makes a great Mission burrito; the biggest i've ever seen was a three-tortilla monster at Taqueria Quetzlcoatl in St. Pete FL. Just about the size of a tall newborn.


re:mayor
if you make mac&cheese and don't add barbecue sauce you are MISSING OUT
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:11 pm »

You know what I sometimes like on my french fries?  Barbecue sauce.  SUCK. ON. THAT.

Salt and malt vinegar or death.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2010, 06:22:40 pm »

I'm not very much into gravy at all... maybe on a hot open faced turkey sandwich, that's about it for me.

But I can SEE why people dig it on meats and such, it's just not my thing, I find that the combination of fattiness and duplication of flavour just obscures the flavour of the meat.

Some people could see it as an enhancement, sure.

Just not on fries. On fries, I don't see the logic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2010, 06:34:33 pm »

my former roommate famously ordered "a pizza chicken burger and disco fries" on new year's eve in brooklyn.

the reason the story was famous is that the waitress apparently said "you know it's not really a burger, right?"
"yeah"
"and... you know it's not really a pizza, right?"
"yeah."
"ok."

(chicken, on a bun, with marinara sauce and maybe some mozz cheese or something? i was not there, i was riding the subway for 3 hours and watching people puke)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

I would not call that a chicken pizza burger, either.

Maybe "a drunk man's shitty chicken parm".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »

I've heard tell that mayo MIXED with 'chup is grelish on fries but I've never tried it.

OH MAN YOU GUYS

2 parts mayo
1 part ketchup
garlic powder
worcestershire sauce
a ton of black pepper

i have heard those things referred to as 'frysauce' by friends from out west(utah).
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2010, 08:22:34 pm »

i have heard those things referred to as 'frysauce' by friends from out west(utah).

Yes, frysauce, I remember that shit.  It was the default condiment in Utah.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:04 pm »

I enjoy this idea that condiment/sauce preferences are either right or wrong. Anyway, here is the correct dipping sauce for anything fried:
Mash a garlic clove in a bowl into a paste and add some salt and saffron if you have it.
throw in 2 egg yolks with some lemon juice and dijon mustard, whisk that.
1.25 cups of of olive oil added until smooth.
pepper.
I also sometimes add hot sauce because everything in life needs a little spice.
Bam.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »

Olive oil and salt are the proper condiment for fried calamari.

Oooh, now I want calamari. There is a strong possibility this will happen tonight, I am scheduled for some hoemance.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2010, 08:41:51 pm »

the biggest i've ever seen was a three-tortilla monster at Taqueria Quetzlcoatl in St. Pete FL. Just about the size of a tall newborn.


re:mayor
if you make mac&cheese and don't add barbecue sauce you are MISSING OUT

when i went to mexico i had a burrito the size of my forearm, but a baby-sized burrito would last me at least a week.

also, i usually have salsa on my mac+cheese

... I am scheduled for some hoemance.

good luck, sistahfriend.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2010, 01:52:57 am »

Meyernaze BITCHES
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up