Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanking Around, Wondering...  (Read 46016 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »

She must be quite a large woman.

Not any more. She's been dead for thirty years.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2010, 03:49:50 pm »

I woke up this morning wondering what's going on in that van.  It made me optimistic there would be a strip posted.  Sadly I was mistaken.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2010, 05:17:15 pm »

But wait... I just noticed he is promising a strip this afternoon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

He is such a tease.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2010, 06:10:48 pm »

Quote
build one's own house out of one's hands

I like the idea that Cormac McCarthy lives in a house made of his own giant hands.

Quote
Noun: Oralingus.
This is one of the Achewoods that I didn't find funny at the time, but now I think back to it randomly and crack up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:15:23 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2010, 08:09:24 pm »

Now the message promising a strip this afternoon is gone.  The link begging for money is gone too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »

I still see them both.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2010, 08:42:53 pm »

I still see them both.

Did you refresh your page?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »

Okay, now it's back.  Stop this ride, I want to get off.  Ha ha haaa...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:54 am »

Crikes man, put up a jokey page with Ray a'splaining how things have gotten slipped off your cracker so we can quit making shit up in our minds, y'know.

can
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2010, 02:55:32 am »

The man who mentioned a sawzall got hissef a can.

My only other thing I want to offer as a failing lurker is this:  what if it ended up that Onstad's greatest achievement was indirectly putting a great writer in touch with his editor?   (Given that Onstad plays English like a piano and is fairly young, I'd expect more, but you never know.)
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2010, 03:56:52 am »

whenever I hear a particularly awesome piece of American English Vernacular, I think of Achewood.

which is weird. "Hey, black dude who works with me, you remind me of an internet cat."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2010, 04:48:38 am »

what if it ended up that Onstad's greatest achievement was indirectly putting a great writer in touch with his editor?   (Given that Onstad plays English like a piano and is fairly young, I'd expect more, but you never know.)

The great writer seems to have done a runner.  I think we may have scared him off.

It's okay Mike, we still love you even if you never write that great novel.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2010, 05:04:40 am »

I ain't gone, I'm just...

I'm trying to tamp down a family argument that almost got me thrown out of ANOTHER place to live, which would make it twice in six months, and... while I think I'm making progress on that front, my grandmother's in her second day in the ICU. And we're still working on getting my car fixed after my girlfriend parked it in front of a library with the GPS on the dash and the inevitable smash-and-grab that inevitably greeted her when she came back out with the Twilight novella.

In the face of these predicaments, making like Albert Brooks in "Defending Your Life" is crushing enough, let alone actually working on writing.

I appreciate the offers of help and I might eventually follow through on them but, right now, feeling like I'm letting people down by not immediately engaging their kind offers and/or getting feelings of inadequacy piled on top of feelings of inadequacy by people who misread my personality as being spurred by negative reinforcement when there is nothing that motivates me less than having my ten thousand previous mistakes pointed out... these things are counterproductive to short and long term goals equally.

However, maybe this is the simplest explanation for Achewood: the author fucked up a little bit and fell enough behind where all attempts to dig out make him feel even worse because he can't fix it all immediately/without disheartening criticism/easily/without-secondary-setbacks and so he's just spinning further and further down a shame spiral.

Which, of course, makes me empathize with Onstad to the point where my internal quip "he only said Monday afternoon, not THIS Monday afternoon" is significantly less funny to me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:50 am »

omstrad just gave us a fuck you friday sans cartoon
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up