Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...  (Read 67630 times)

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 478
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #975 on: September 20, 2018, 10:08:14 pm »

Really promising job opening at work. Have contacted a few people but haven't heard back yet. Drooling a little.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1312
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #976 on: September 21, 2018, 01:14:12 pm »

My younger daughter has not been doing well with the transition to middle school. In particular, she's not enjoying the hallways between classes. She's a small kid, and the halls are super crowded (the school is in the midst of a construction project which makes it worse). In particular, she's having trouble getting from lunch to the next period, which is basically a study hall/activities period. She's not allowed to bring her backpack to lunch, so she has to go to her locker after lunch, swap out her stuff, and get to the next class which is at the far end of the school. She's been late for it almost every day, and the teacher gives her a hard time about it (which is galling because it's not an actual class).

So Mrs. del Vaca e-mailed the teacher and the guidance counselor, went over the situation, and said "My kid is not goofing off or anything, she's trying her best but it's not working. This is a ridiculous thing for her to be stressed out about; can anyone figure out why this is so hard and help fix it." And the teacher wrote back like yeah sure, we'll see what we can do.

This morning, she writes again: the break between those periods is only four minutes, when all the rest are five. WELL THERE YOU GO. Good on Mrs. del Vaca for making them actually look at this shit. A big part of her struggles this year is that some of the teachers seem to not give a shit; they're like "No one is going to help you in high school so we should we do that now." Jeez, what a shitty attitude.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

• Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10026
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
« Reply #977 on: September 22, 2018, 03:53:47 pm »

A big part of her struggles this year is that some of the teachers seem to not give a shit; they're like "No one is going to help you in high school so we should we do that now." Jeez, what a shitty attitude.

Of course independence is important but the really shitty thing about that attitude is that it doesn't really reflect how life actually works. I don't know very many people who didn't have mentors, or weren't cut some slack, or didn't get some help to get to wherever they are. Those teachers are just assholes.
I was decaying inside from postponed consequences. - Walter Kirn
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]   Go Up