Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sloppy Fallout 3 Makeouts  (Read 21309 times)

nDed

• Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Sloppy Fallout 3 Makeouts
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2012, 01:49:42 am »

I'm grateful to Bethesda for basically saving the series with Fallout 3, but I much prefer New Vegas to it in almost every way. Hopefully Obsidian gets a steady gig doing Fallout games while Bethesda focuses on Elder Scrolls.
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2012, 04:37:55 pm »

Is it wrong that I was happy to miss going to a nephew's birthday party (I had to work on Sat.) because I would get to play New Vegas uninterrupted from the moment I got home until I couldn't stay awake any longer around 11pm?
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2012, 10:51:41 pm »

Me too, also.

I like the story of FO3 best, but I really liked the combat tweaks in New Vegas, and hardcore mode is awesome. Also, a lot of people didn't like the factions in NV, but I really did. My brother complained that it made it impossible to get 100% of the achievements and quests done in a single playthrough, but I think that's part of the fun.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:01 pm »

Ok, how the hell do you survive the feral ghoul onslaughts in Vault 34?  They're too fast for grenades, and so tough that by the time I've knocked the first guy down with either the plasma rifle or the 5mm assault rifle that his mates are snacking on my brains before I can re-target.  My Guns/Energy skills are both right around 50, explosives 40, and level 15?  Am I just not tough enough yet?
God that place is a nightmare, with no lights, radiation steadily burning away, random blocked routes and the screams and hisses of the ghouls echoing through the hallways.  I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares last night.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2012, 01:55:45 am »

Ohhhhh yeaaaahhhh! I looked it up on fallout.wikia.com to jog my memory and holy crap, I remember this vault well. Are you down by the armory?

I think I was level 18 or 20 when I tried it. I play a stealth character, so I eventually got past it (after numerous replays) by creeping in and lacing the hallway with mines. Then I'd blast the first ghoul to pieces with a plasma grenade and let the rest of them chase me (I had Light Step so I didn't trip any of the mines) all the way down the hall until they were all blown to bits. I think I used about twenty mines of various types spaced strategically down the corridor.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I may also have let some of them out and then quickly closed the door behind me so that I could take them on a few at a time. I don't know how you'd play it as a tank-style character, but I'd suggest maybe leveling up a time or two and trying again. Do you have the armory key yet? No point rummaging around in there 'til you have it, really.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2012, 02:33:30 am »

I'm not pure tank - I emphasized brains and quickness in the character creation (at the expense of Endurance mostly) and put the early skill points into science, lockpick, speech, and repair.  Plus guns, energy and explosives.  Melee, unarmed, and medicine I'm still weak in, as was sneak and barter until I figured out how important they are.  I've been dumping points into barter recently to be able to finish some quests that are dependent on your ability to negotiate.
Was the armory key on a drowned body in the flooded area?

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:57 pm »

Was there any way to save the monorail?  I tried a couple different ways to get there and it always pulled out of the station just as I was getting to the train door.  Had I made it, I doubt there would have been time to get to the bomb.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2012, 01:40:02 am »

Was there any way to save the monorail? 

Check in Ogdenville, North Haverbrook and Brockway.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2012, 05:33:08 pm »

Are those Fallout 3 locations?  Because the New Vegas map doesn't seem to have them anywhere.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2012, 02:23:50 am »

Are those Fallout 3 locations?  Because the New Vegas map doesn't seem to have them anywhere.

Maybe you shouldGoogle them ask Leonard Nimoy.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »

I'm not pure tank - I emphasized brains and quickness in the character creation (at the expense of Endurance mostly) and put the early skill points into science, lockpick, speech, and repair.  Plus guns, energy and explosives.  Melee, unarmed, and medicine I'm still weak in, as was sneak and barter until I figured out how important they are.  I've been dumping points into barter recently to be able to finish some quests that are dependent on your ability to negotiate.
Was the armory key on a drowned body in the flooded area?

I had to look it up on fallout.wikia.com, because I don't remember. There are two passwords on submerged bodies; one gets you in to the Overseer's office and the other will get you into the armory. They key I was thinking about is actually to the gun case, it is given to you by a woman named Pearl, who you may or may not have met yet. I hope I did not spoil that for you.

Was there any way to save the monorail?  I tried a couple different ways to get there and it always pulled out of the station just as I was getting to the train door.  Had I made it, I doubt there would have been time to get to the bomb.

Yes, it is possible to save the monorail (and to use it as transportation throughout the rest of the game). Again, it's been quite a while since I played, but I know that I used the monorail several times as a convenient way of travel (before I thoroughly pissed off the NCR and they stopped letting me on). But it's probably not worth going back for if you're very far past that point -- it's not mission-critical.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up