Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real  (Read 9309 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 01:47:46 pm »

The world has about 100 times as much Jim Morrison as is required.

I don't know, this is pretty wonderful.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:12 pm »

I don't know, this is pretty wonderful.

I'd take that over their official output every time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »

There were some cute boys at my high school who were into The Doors, so I tried to like The Doors.  In the end I realized liking The Doors wasn't really possible for me no matter how I tried, so I also gave up on those boys.  When I look back now, I'm glad I didn't end up liking The Doors.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 01:30:02 am »

Am I the only one here who likes The Doors?

I mean, they are a ridiculous band, and Jim Morrison is even more ridiculous, but they have some fuck*ng awesome songs. And most of their albums are pretty strong.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 01:53:39 am »

I really dig their first album, but then I am out.  Like 4 minutes into the album he says light another cigarette.  I used to drive around in high school a lot chain smoking, and when he said that I was usually just finishing my first cigarette and lighting up my second, if done correctly right as he says the words (this maybe doesn't make sense- I would get in my car, start the album, start my drive and start my smoke.  My smoke was over right as he would say those words and I would smoke again.  I always wondered if it was intentional.  I mean, a lot of people probably cued up records then lit a smoke back in like 66 67 whatever, so it makes sense it would be on purpose.)  That is not a good reason to like them, but I also like them cause that album is good.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 02:42:09 am »

I listened to the Doors incessantly when I was in high school and they just sound sort of ridiculous to me now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:43:44 am »

My opinion of the Doors has fluctuated through the years between 'they're okay,' to 'this shit sucks.' Right now I think they're okay and LA Woman fuck*ng cooks. When I was a little kid I thought Riders on the Storm was fuck*ng awesome. I still remember hearing it on the radio in my mother's car one night while sitting along in the parking lot of the grocery store. Light My Fire is a cool song, but once I've heard it I don't want to hear it again for a long time.

I think they're biggest problem is they didn't have a bass player until LA Woman.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »

I think they're biggest problem is they didn't have a bass player until LA Woman.

Don't let that scare you my friend, let that liberate you!

watch the whole clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xillqqt0Y0
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »

The Doors were my Emo Teen music in high school. I need some more distance from that before I can dig them again.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 07:54:18 pm »

Seems like we're all sort of in agreement, then.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

This reminds me of a really weird poster I once saw.  I went to a very left leaning University, and I came across a poster that was hand painted and said "Do you like The Doors? Come and meet other people who like The Doors and listen to the music of The Doors.  It included a date, time and house address and that's it.  I remember thinking, "I don't like The Doors all that much, but this would be pretty entertaining, and I bet there will be free drugs."  I never went, I sort of thought I'd be lying to claim I like The Doors.  I mean, I don't hate them or anything, but I don't really like them either.  I really regret not checking out what was going on there though.  Then again, it could have led to all sorts of bad things...  I'll never know.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 10:56:08 pm »

Never knowing....that should be the regret.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 12:48:30 am »

Am I the only one here who likes The Doors?

I mean, they are a ridiculous band, and Jim Morrison is even more ridiculous, but they have some fuck*ng awesome songs. And most of their albums are pretty strong.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am.  And by god, where would TV documentaries about the 60's be without the organ riff from Light My Fire?  Where, I ask you, where?

I mean, its one of the big three songs that are shorthand for the "Turmoil and Upheaval of the Late Sixties".  Light My Fire, All Along the Watchtower and Gimme Shelter.  Right?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 05:23:30 am »

I bet it would make sense to a lot of you if I said my Doors are your AC/DC.

Except for the fact that I've loved AC/DC from the moment I heard them and I've never gotten tired of hearing them. Even 35 years on. I got burned out on Led Zeppelin even, but never AC/DC.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hologram Tupac keepin' it real
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 05:29:50 am »

Oh, and I just remembered, I had a doors fueled bad trip. A friend had died and I took some mushrooms at a party. I was doing fine until The End came on. I thought I was literally walking into hell.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up