Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 24541 times)

nDed

• Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2012, 02:12:46 am »

Had leftover pita dough so I made some kind of ghetto calzone. Filling was mozzarella and tomato sauce with pepperoni/bacon/shallot/broccoli saut. Leaked a little since I was too lazy to reduce the sauce, but otherwise it turned out pretty tasty.
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »

Wow, there is really a difference between good hummus and bad hummus, isn't there?

I thought I liked hummus the first couple of times I had it and then I had some that was gross, and I thought maybe I didn't like it after all. But I decided to give it another try today and this kind is really good. It's from the deli at my grocery store; I think the big-name packaged stuff is probably not better, even though it is significantly more expensive. The store-brand stuff seems to have a creamier texture.

Today's after school snack was caramelized onion hummus and one of those 100-calorie Arnold sandwich thins (honey wheat). Maybe the bread makes a difference, too -- this stuff has a pretty good flavor; last time I was dipping with pasty white pita, which I don't think held up as well.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »

Yeah, I realize that the ideal thing, nutritionally, is to use it as a veggie dip. But I am still in the "getting accustomed to it" phase, so I'm going easy on my palate. Too much texture and my sensory receptors shut down and I start gagging on stuff. It's a weirdness of mine.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 480
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2012, 08:09:46 pm »

I really want to make these guys.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 770
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »

Been eating a bunch of hummus the past couple of days because you don't have to chew it. 

You should try making your own -- it's pretty easy.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

nDed

• Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »

I really want to make these guys.

I've tried a similar recipe before and it turned out okay save for the occasional squishy dud. I'm thinking using dried chickpeas soaked overnight rather than canned might have yielded better results.

Falafel is probably my favorite chickpea preparation. I don't care if you used dried beans or canned for that "creamy hummus center" texture, I will eat up all your falafels.
Love never blows up and gets killed.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 480
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2012, 07:59:50 am »

Every time I go to this place, which is around the corner from the store I work at, I am blown away. This guy's other restaurants are hit or miss, but this place hits it out of the park every time. The other day I had Cajun shrimp with Andouille sausage and white beans. Holy shit. I took a bite and had a feeling that I normally only get from really expensive, extravagant foods. "I'm happy that I am alive in a universe where I can eat this." So good. I need to learn some cajun recipes. The beer was also great-- Left Hand Brewery's Octoberfest.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »

Monster trail mix, I love you. Even if I did buy peanut butter M&Ms instead of regular...turns out that's actually a pretty damn good swap.

I make mine with cashews, raisins, craisins, chocolate and peanut butter chips, and (apparently) pb M&Ms. Who has a good trail mix recipe? Chaos Girl has become very fond of helping me mix them up so that she can take them to school.

I did a thing with yogurt-covered raisins and dried blueberries one time, but it lacked the necessary crunch factor.

Also, did I share my adventures with oatmeal breakfast cookies here? Doesn't look like, but I am a huge fan. The chocolate-cherry-hazelnut ones were less than stellar, but the cranberry-walnut-brown sugar & cinnamon ones were really phenomenal.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up