Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.  (Read 10585 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 01:35:57 am »

JESUS CHRIST BOREDOMS.

I do not listen to them that much, but when I am in a boredoms mood all I do is blast boredoms all day. This has lead many of my friends to think that they are my favorite band.

Holy shit, Boredoms.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 08:34:06 am »

I'm really happy I saw Comets on Fire before they went on their indefinite hiatus.

I'm still heartbroken I moved after I had bought tickets to see The Raincoats and Shellac. Those were easy to sell but hard to part with. Electric Wizard is playing their first show in 10 years at the maryland death fest (though they are much more stoner doom metal than death metal) and I'm going to be extremely disappointed to miss that, too.

Though Death Grips are coming to town soon. That should be a really fun show.

I don't think I really have many concert experiences that would make people immediately jealous, but I do have a lot that are extremely special to me. I did get to go backstage and meet Donovan once because a friend was an assistant producer on one of his recent records, does that count? He stayed in what I think of as the Donovan "character" the whole time he was chatting with people.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 12:07:30 pm »

my roommate just told me this, but it happened the day MCA left for the big party in the sky: he was riding the bus home and blasting Intergalactic on his headphones. He heard something weird. He took them off, and the guy in the seat behind him was rapping along! He turned around and they shouted/rapped along to the song for a few lines. Everyone else was staring at them and stuff. Awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

I don't think I really have many concert experiences that would make people immediately jealous, but I do have a lot that are extremely special to me.

This is where I'm at.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2012, 09:11:54 pm »

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2012, 07:26:55 am »

I don't really remember most of them, so I could be wrong, but the only one I went, "oh that fucker" was Ash and Minutemen.  Fuck you, Brokowski. 

I don't really have any either?  Radiohead after Hail to Thief.  The Rapture when they were good (touring off first album).  Sonic Youth and Broken Social Scene have broken up or are on hiatus since I saw them.  My favorite shows have got to be Jonathan Richman with like 4 other people in the crowd, Supergrass- opening for Radiohead in 2003 at the Woodlands in Houston, absolutely no one was there to see them at this huge venue.  I yelled a request they stopped their other song to play and they said thank you by throwing us a drum stick.  That Rapture show and the first time I saw Spindrift.  That might be it actually.  Oh, My Bloody Valentine.  Even though it was a reunion tour that is probably the best/most eye opening/powerful/loudest (and I saw (reunion) Dinosaur Jr. in a tiny punk venue in OKC and Acid Mother's Temple at a barely bigger punk venue in Denver.  They were playing an Auditorium that sits 3700.  It still felt louder, which I don't think is usually the case.) show I have ever been to.  It was fuck*ng incredible.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »

I suppose some people might be jealous of that deal I saw where Dinosaur Jr. were interviewed by Henry Rollins.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »

I just inadvertently discovered that I am getting Madeline Peyroux tickets for Mother's Day. This is kind of a big deal, she doesn't tour often and her tours don't make too many stops. But I guess she's a bit of a niche -- there aren't a lot of white people in their 30s who are into modern jazz.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 05:51:44 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 06:50:29 pm »

I'm not ashamed of No Doubt because I saw them when they were still only an OC thing, all early adopter style.

I listen to No Doubt without shame. I like their music quite a lot. I got caught in a mosh pit of 10,000 kids at a No Doubt concert.

I took this photo.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »

Did everyone see Fight For Your Right (Revisited)?

That was pretty fucked up. I really like that Make some Noise song though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »

What a great performer Al is -- that's going to be one that people ought to be jealous of in 30 years or so, whether they actually are or not.

I've seen Weird Al 3 times now. So I won't be jealous.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 07:41:28 pm »

JESUS CHRIST BOREDOMS.

I do not listen to them that much, but when I am in a boredoms mood all I do is blast boredoms all day. This has lead many of my friends to think that they are my favorite band.

Holy shit, Boredoms.

Just curious, do you get into a Boredoms mood when you are bored?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »

Broken Social Scene have broken up or are on hiatus since I saw them.

I saw Broken Social Scene in a tiny club. They posed for a picture after the show.

I actually have TOUAMB to thank for that show. One of their songs appeared on a mixtape that Starlight sent me. Otherwise I would have not known about them.


Supergrass- opening for Radiohead in 2003 at the Woodlands in Houston, absolutely no one was there to see them at this huge venue.  I yelled a request they stopped their other song to play and they said thank you by throwing us a drum stick.

I was one of the 15 thousand people that showed up late for that show, which is rare for me. I like to watch the opening band because you never know when something amazing is going to happen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 04:25:37 am »

I listen to No Doubt without shame. I like their music quite a lot. I got caught in a mosh pit of 10,000 kids at a No Doubt concert.

I took this photo.

I like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpZJ9EgJho

I saw Broken Social Scene in a tiny club. They posed for a picture after the show.

I've only seen them at huge venues. Like Coachella and this outdoor summer concert series in Salt Lake. When I saw them at Coachella, one of the dudes proposed to his ladyfriend on stage.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up