Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!  (Read 8485 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:22:14 pm »

If they are worse than Youtube comments, there must have been a new standard established.  Honestly, I think 90% of the You Tube comments are generated by some pre-alpha release AI that has been trained on Google-translate conversations from 7th grade chatrooms.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »

Which has the most intellectually toxic commenting culture?

These are Mr. Bear's first appearances in almost two years, apart from that one blog post, so I just assumed a dude had gotten rusty.  I like Smells' theory, though, that he's just getting his own back at a bunch of bitchy Portlanders.  In any case, "having half one's eyes on" is a vintage-style Onstadism and more than makes up for the weaker dialogue.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »

Ever been to topix.com and read the forum/comments section for your local community. 

shudder

My hometown's community message board would be hilarious if it wasn't real. 90% of the most recent threads are about to handle the cat population of a certain part of town. Old cat ladies foaming at the mouth vs. Kill 'em all and let god sort them out. Conspiracy theories are rampant about mysterious cabals of county parks department and the mayor's "cronies". "HOW COME THE COPS NEVER GET TRAFFIC TICKETS?? THINK ABOUT IT!"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »

I call the local topix up here "hillbilly TMZ".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »

And you learn so much about the local dating scene, especially in re: who is a skank and who ain't.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

Edit: Sorry if my chosen thread title conflicts with (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052003) in your mind-banks.

My first thought was, "wow, super zombie thread" before I looked at the date.
Logged

AKKOLADE

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 03:14:14 pm »

LOOK EVERYONE! I'M A LITERAL CHILD WHOSE INFERORITY COMPLEX IS SO GIANT HE FEELS THREATENED BY WORDS OF MORE THAN TWO SYLLAS!

What a bunch of anuses.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »

I find the idea that if you pick up some trash and then put it back down you are littering to be funny.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:56 pm »

I like it too Paul.  I've had a similar experience actually - where I've picked something up that looked intersting only to realize it was just garbage, and then, because I don't litter, being stuck needing to sove the problem.  It's a weird situation, since I wasn't the original litterer. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »

LOOK EVERYONE! I'M A LITERAL CHILD WHOSE INFERORITY COMPLEX IS SO GIANT HE FEELS THREATENED BY WORDS OF MORE THAN TWO SYLLAS!

What a bunch of anuses.

Counterpoint:  Hey, it must be well written.  It uses big words.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bulldog Jones

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
  • Hi! Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 06:33:24 pm »

I find the idea that if you pick up some trash and then put it back down you are littering to be funny.

If I remember my childhood correctly, parents and teachers intentionally instilled this principle in us - the idea that, as soon as you touch some litter (or even if you see it and do nothing, like the Seinfeld finale) it becomes your responsibility. At least, this is exactly what runs through my head every time I pass by some trash on the ground.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: 19th May 2012 - Can't you SEE?!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 02:46:31 am »

For those of you counting at home, the picture on the cover of the book is in fact the first google image result for Grover Cleveland.

I was hoping that Onstad would use someone else's portrait just to shake things up.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up