Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DYEL?  (Read 14039 times)

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: DYEL?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »

Question: up the weight for heavier singles or increase reps?
I don't like more than 3 reps for heavy DLs.  Core muscles fatigue quickly under that kind of loading and you put your spine health at risk (or at least I do).  Heavy doubles or triples are the best type of work to progress DL.  Are you doing rack pulls?  It's the first 4 inches of DL that puts the most miles on.  You can go heavier and higher reps if you like by pulling out of a rack instead of from the floor.
As a more advanced question, I don't know whether to move from my linear 5RM program to something intermediate like 5/3/1 or Texas or Madcow yet.
You and I are pretty close in terms of max and bodyweight, but I think you will have a higher ceiling than I do given your build. I really like 5/3/1.  I don't see any reason not to start a good periodization program like it.  Make sure you're eating enough and doing good recovery work (including sleeping enough).
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 06:26:20 pm »

As a rugby player who works out with his team I can say the most efficient method of working out involves running (200 because 80 is a match minutes) and lifting your own weight. The kind of shenangians you're talking about is at best, a waste of energy.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

• VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 243
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:25:23 pm »

I think that he's interested in just lifting as much weight as possible, so the type of workout you're talking about wouldn't help reach those goals.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 08:59:19 pm »

Powerlifters are unfit for running marathons, marathon runners are unfit for competing in a powerlifting event.  Crossfitters, one might note, are masters of mediocrity. 

Bobby Isosceles

• Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:24 am »

I don't like more than 3 reps for heavy DLs.  Core muscles fatigue quickly under that kind of loading and you put your spine health at risk (or at least I do).  Heavy doubles or triples are the best type of work to progress DL.  Are you doing rack pulls?  It's the first 4 inches of DL that puts the most miles on.  You can go heavier and higher reps if you like by pulling out of a rack instead of from the floor.You and I are pretty close in terms of max and bodyweight, but I think you will have a higher ceiling than I do given your build. I really like 5/3/1.  I don't see any reason not to start a good periodization program like it.  Make sure you're eating enough and doing good recovery work (including sleeping enough).

I'm reaching the stage where I am either having good DL days OR good squat days but never both; I think I will try a deload week and if that doesn't work it's time to do some 5/3/1.

If the first four inches do the most work, wouldn't it make sense to do more deficit pulls then to get the launch off the ground?

(this coming from someone crazy enough to do trapbar deficits)
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Bobby Isosceles

• Showbiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 12:58:55 am »

As a rugby player who works out with his team I can say the most efficient method of working out involves running (200 because 80 is a match minutes) and lifting your own weight. The kind of shenangians you're talking about is at best, a waste of energy.

Wasting energy is good and gets the ladies.

From a cardio perspective I try to get one long run/mountain bike in a week at least. For example, today I did a 40 mile bike ride, which to me is about equivalent to an 8 mile run. I figure as long as I can get a half marathon done in ~2H I am okay.

Bobby Isosceles

• Showbiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 03:16:23 pm »

That said, it is generally better to weight yourself and lift yourself (e.g., a weighted pullup or dip) than it is to lift or move a weight (e.g., lat pulldown or decline press). The former are called closed kinetic chain movements and require a lot more neurological involvement (keeping core stable, etc.) than open kinetic chain movements.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:05 pm »

Aw what-ever, running is good too, even on those days* when your guts cramp up and you have to drop a loose-goose-deuce in the gutter like a damn hound and then finish your run.

*today

Let me just make sure I understand you. You were running this morning and were feeling some intestinal distress so you defecated in the gutter and continued with your run. Is that what happened?
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

• Showbiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »

Yeah, in a nutshell. It's a good thing I run before dawn. I prairie dogg-ed it to a dark stretch of road and took care of the problem and ran another mile and a half.

I been sick and ain't all the way well yet.

I will say this is a problem I'd rather have running in the pre-dawn hours on a trail rather than during a particularly heavy lift in a crowded gym.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1304
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 11:16:50 pm »

Gastro-intestinal distress is apparently not altogether uncommon among runners.

Yet another reason why I don't run.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 02:22:34 am »

Okay, now that I have the facts let me just say Good Lord!
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 07:46:13 am »

I have never shit in a drain while running, but maybe I am not doing it right?

It made me get hemorrhoids probably (I definitely had them...) and having those made me pee blood and I want to throw up really bad at least once a week, but yeah, no shitting in drains.
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:36:14 pm »

Raise your hand if you've puked during a weight workout (I have, but not in a long time).  Many moons ago a pencilneck friend of mine asked me to help him get started in weight training.  We had done some sets of lat pulldowns (he wasn't strong enough for chins) and had just finished a set of bench presses, and he abruptly booted into a handy trashcan.  To his credit, after recovering for a few minutes he wanted to press on, so we did and he wasn't completely turned off by the experience.  I learned that newbies need quite a bit of recovery between sets, and I haven't made anyone throw up since.  At this point in my training career I know exactly where the limit is in myself and can work right up to that edge without going over.

Bobby Isosceles

• Showbiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 02:41:39 am »

You haven't done this yet? Gotta learn to work to failure, bro.

Pulled 375 today - didn't shit myself but, in the words of a friend, "you look like Captain Kirk as he's about to hit a man in a lizard costume with a giant foam rubber boulder."

Bobby Isosceles

• Showbiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:28 am »

Raise your hand if you've puked during a weight workout (I have, but not in a long time).  Many moons ago a pencilneck friend of mine asked me to help him get started in weight training.  We had done some sets of lat pulldowns (he wasn't strong enough for chins) and had just finished a set of bench presses, and he abruptly booted into a handy trashcan.  To his credit, after recovering for a few minutes he wanted to press on, so we did and he wasn't completely turned off by the experience.  I learned that newbies need quite a bit of recovery between sets, and I haven't made anyone throw up since.  At this point in my training career I know exactly where the limit is in myself and can work right up to that edge without going over.

Since I'm going for strength and not hypertrophy, I take 3-5 minutes between sets and do 3-6 reps per set. I've never reached the point of pukery, but after really heavy deadlifts or farmer's walks, I feel so utterly drained from a CNS burnout perspective that I basically become depressed for a few hours.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up