Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Moonbats vs. Medicine  (Read 3327 times)

Victoria Waterfield

• Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 329
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Moonbats vs. Medicine
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 05:45:41 pm »

They really say this?

Acetaminophen is an ARTIFICIAL drug created by SCIENTISTS of course it causes autism

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 06:31:05 pm »

I think the concept of "herd immunity" is important to try to get them to understand.
When your whole worldview is about how exceptional and unique your children are, the concept of being part of a herd are anathema.  The thing is, viruses are pretty much automata, and they operate at a population level, not an individual level (although the effects on any given individual are certainly important to the victim).  Viruses don't care how balanced your chi is, or whether you're on a gluten free diet, or how much raw milk you've consumed.  Exposure and the presence of their target protein on your cells is all they need to do their work, which is just to make as many more virus particles as they can.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ianmalcolm2

• Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »

To veer off to the side a little bit into 'my child's social dysfunctions are actually signs of latent genius' territory:

Any of you dudes been exposed to this "indigo children" stuff? I guess some moonbats are arguing that what we would call ADHD or autism or whatever actually represents the next stage in human evolution——it's just that the 'big pharma' illuminati cabal are trying to suppress it.

It's like if the big reveal of "childhood's end" was way less cool.
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 08:50:06 pm »

I've heard the phrase, but I think it's a ridiculous assertion that variation in human behavior is a recent development or indicative of the future path of the species.  I think it may be true that the society we have developed fits people to different degrees, and we have seen the opportunities for those who might have been good scouts, spiritualists, or manual laborers be replaced by occupations that require long apprenticeships for intellectual specialization (including what we do daily with computers).  I don't know what the future of human evolution will look like, but the pressures that normally drive adaptation would seem to be largely blunted by the civilization we have achieved.  I doubt any observable change happens in time scales we can comprehend.  Archaeology has found plenty of ancient human remains that are indistinguishable from our contemporaries, even in features that appear to be "on the way out" (little toes or wisdom teeth) or could substantially increase fitness with changes (lower backs).

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 473
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:14 pm »

I can't stop being mad about this.

Of course they believe [that trauma can affect gene expression] now-- their "science" trusts rats more than it trusts women of color.

oh my fuck*ng god.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 11:22:43 pm »

Calm down Dan, it's gonna be alright.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 12:06:57 am »

I WANT TO BE ON YOUR SIDE, INTERNET LEFT WING LADIES, BUT YOU'RE MAKING IT SO HARD.

It's tough because sometimes they say things that seem really goofy initially, but over time I realize that they're right. I always appreciate that and am glad I didn't argue about it. This is not one of those times.
Social pressures exist

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 12:29:02 am »

It's tough because sometimes they say things that seem really goofy initially, but over time I realize that they're right.

Such as?
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 02:14:52 am »

One lady in particular posts angry things about racism in America that sometimes rub me the wrong way, but I usually end up thinking for a long time and realizing she is right. Having a hard time coming up with an example. But too many of the other ones are more of a "even a broken clock is right twice a day" type deal. If you whine enough and claim enough things are patriarchal plots, eventually you will write one really true article and trick me into following you on twitter.
Social pressures exist

ianmalcolm2

• Showbiz
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 03:22:18 am »

^ re: theinevitable—— I spend far too much time reading the rantings of crazy people for shits and giggles, but the most frustrating part of laughing at this stuff is how close they get to real insight while remaining so, so far away.

One example I can come up with is a website that considers itself a 'media watchdog'. It's tragic, because while they do a wonderful job of cataloguing all the ways in which mass-media socializes us into consumerist passivity, they attribute it all to a shadowy cabal of illuminati lizard-men whose lineage stretches back to pyramid times.

Like, replace lizard-men with the "faceless capitalist momentum and Freudian death drive," and they'd have something legitimate to say! I think the best thing for conspiracy theorists of all stripes would be to make them read Hannah Arendt's 'The Banality of Evil'.

But now we're just off-topic
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 05:56:12 am »

But now we're just off-topic
Welcome to TOUAMB, wandering off topic since the early 21st century.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »

Welcome to TOUAMB, wandering off topic since the early 21st century.

Over a decade of tangential connections served!
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »

One example I can come up with is a website that considers itself a 'media watchdog'. It's tragic, because while they do a wonderful job of cataloguing all the ways in which mass-media socializes us into consumerist passivity, they attribute it all to a shadowy cabal of illuminati lizard-men whose lineage stretches back to pyramid times.

As a sometime member of the mass media, I LOL so hard at the idea of media conspiracies. Trust me, the media could never be organized enough to pull off a conspiracy. Anything that looks like coordinated movement is simply a result of them all being sheep - or lemmings, in the metaphorical sense of lemmings that isn't true of the behavior of actual lemmings.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

• Showbiz
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »

Exactly! Any pernicious movement in media is the result of competition for viewers' attention. And the things advertisers and marketers will do for attention are bad enough without making lizard-men the culprits.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 06:20:21 pm »

maybe the reason you aren't getting as many writing jobs as you want is that they just want an army of people out there saying "hey, I get articles published sometimes, but I don't know ANYTHING about any lizard-men." Plausible deniability.
Social pressures exist
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up