Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do You Realize?  (Read 7212 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Do You Realize?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 02:51:03 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
And I suppose that's why it's much less annoying when Stereolab or Moby has music in a commercial--it's just music, the background, and not so much pimpin' per se.


Well, apart from my more recent hatred of Moby, I do have to admit I liked the fact he didn't get any money whatsoever from any advert using his music (a clause he put in the legal wranglings). On the other hand it meant stuff from Play was on fuck*ng everything, and he sold more copies.
So I hate him for it, at the same time as liking that he wasn't demanding money.
Damn paradoxes.

I do have to say, I am never going to let anyone use any of my stuff for an advert, if I ever get popular enough that anyone would want to.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Do You Realize?
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 03:30:24 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

I do have to say, I am never going to let anyone use any of my stuff for an advert, if I ever get popular enough that anyone would want to.


I'll be sure to mention this in a few years when you're pimping for OxyClean.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

I do have to say, I am never going to let anyone use any of my stuff for an advert, if I ever get popular enough that anyone would want to.


I have a similar conviction that if I ever publish the books I'm writing I won't let anyone make movies out of them. But I suspect it's easy to feel this way now, when I would be so thrilled if anyone offered me five dollars for one of them that that would seem like enough.

But let's hang together slink if we ever become famous enough for people to wave that money at us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 05:28:30 pm »

Plus as a new author you wouldn't have the pull to get a custom contract like that.

It's like all those bands who insist their stuff be sold as a whole album only and not as singles on iTunes or whatever. It's all people like Madonna and Radiohead who've built up the clout to be choosy about their works.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »

The only ad that ever irked me was the jeans commercial that only used the "some folks are born - made to wave the flag - ooh they're red white and blue" line from "Fortunate Son."  Muy republicano.

Beyond that, however, it doesn't matter.  The original post also neglects to mention that internet cable ad from a few months ago in which not only did "Do You Realize" appear, but the Flaming Lips themselves.  If the band appears in an ad, you can't blame the record company for ho-ing them out.  And if they sell an extra 50,000 copies of Yoshimi Vs. The Pink *****s  to people who've never heard of the Flaming Lips as a result, more fuck*ng power to them.  

Zeppelin in Cadillac ads?  I'm personally sick of the ads, but if teenagers who have never heard them before get a Zeppelin album instead of the latest drop D/ goth-metal / hate-my-dad CD, fabulous.  Ditto for the "Pink Moon" Volkswagen ad.  And if selling "Lust For Life" to companies that leave out the flesh machine line keeps Iggy waist-deep in Chinese whores, terrific.  Cuz his album sales sure aren't.

I went to the NAMM convention on Saturday, and, to paraphrase Lie Bot, the saddest thing is seeing an old rock star trying to make a buck.  If selling a song to a company provides a living for someone who should just stay home and not drag his wrinkled ass out into the light, spiffy.

When Spieltod hits it big, I'm going to see that our music only appears in military recruitment commercials.  And one black-and-white cologne ad.

THIS IS SOME DAMN GOOD COFFEE, DIANE
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Do You Realize?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 06:33:50 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"

But let's hang together slink if we ever become famous enough for people to wave that money at us.


Excellent. A pact will keep me in shape. So yaboo Jough! Mwaha.
Although I have to say, if I ever finish my book, and the right director comes along...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 06:52:02 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
All that moral and philosophical discussion aside, I find that the best possible 21st century use for the song "Rubber Band Man"  (Spinner's version from, what, late 1970's?)) is the Office Max commercial being shown now.


That IS some funny shit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 07:12:41 pm »

The whole sell-out tag springs from the 60's when the music was supposedly "anti-establishment" and "revolutionary", but we know now that was just the conciet of the baby boomers.  About the only ones who have never used their songs in advertising is The Beatles, but that's just because they are so filthy rich that ad money is chump change to them.  Then again, so are the Stones, but they have no problem with whoring thier music out.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 10:29:37 pm »

Actually, Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs.  It's true, I swear.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 10:37:32 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Actually, Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs.  It's true, I swear.


Only the publishing rights

And I guess the songwriter's rights only really matter when transferring to a new medium, sampling, or covering.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Do You Realize?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 11:04:46 pm »

And not all of them, in any case (back in the 80s Jackson's then friend Paul McCartney started trying to buy them himself).

V-Adore

  • Guest
Do You Realize?
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 11:43:20 pm »

As a side effect of this thread, I had "All We Have Is Now" running through my head all day today, and I will almost certainly put Yoshimi on the player after I get home tonight. If the commercial could indirectly remind me of what a fine album Yoshimi is, then in my mind all is good.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 12:35:43 am »

....The Beatles had always tried to prevent their work being used in advertising, but under Jackson's ownership, Beatles songs appeared in TV commercials for the first time - though the surviving Beatles had more success in preventing the use of original recordings.....

Full Story at BBC News

From Guardian Unlimited November, 1995

The three surviving members of the Beatles attack fellow singer Michael Jackson in a magazine article published today for 'cheapening' their work by allowing it to be used in advertising.

Jackson, who bought the publishing rights to the Beatles ' music for £50m in 1985, allows songs to be used in TV commercials for products including Nike trainers. He is thought to have received about $250,000 (about £166,000) for one advert.

They are, not surprisingly, a little miffed and a row has been brewing for some time. George Harrison warned: 'Unless we do something about it, every Beatles song is going to end up advertising bras and pork pies.'

He was backed by Paul McCartney, who said Jackson - with whom he recorded two singles in the 1980s, Say Say and The Girl Is Mine - had 'cheapened' the songs released.

The bitter comments are made in the latest edition of Elle magazine, just ahead of the release of the Beatles Anthology album this month, which will feature the first new tracks for a quarter of a century.

McCartney was outbid by Jackson for the rights and is said to still be furious at his refusal either to sell them back or, more gallingly, to increase his royalties, despite stories that Yoko Ono has re-negotiated the share due to her late husband, John Lennon.

It is perhaps an even more painful pill to swallow because, as he reveals in a book, McCartney: Yesterday And Today, by Ray Coleman, that it was he who advised Jackson, at a lunch party given by singer and actor Adam Faith, to get into publishing.

The 4,000-song ATV catalogue includes over 159 Lennon-McCartney Northern Songs gems and almost 100 other Beatles compositions. The group own neither their greatest compositions nor their most treasured recordings.

Despite the row, Jackson sees himself as a custodian of the great recordings of the 1960s, and recently blocked a rap album of Beatles' songs.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 03:02:06 am »

That's right, Michael Jackson can liscense Beatles songs for ads, but not the Beatles performance of those songs.  That's what I meant to say.

On a slightly seperate topic.  If Paul McCartney wasn't such a cheap ass this would have never happened to him.  He had a chance to get the Beatles publishing rights but balked at the price.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Do You Realize?
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2004, 03:13:08 am »

Well, Sir Paul's getting up in years you know.  He's got to save for retirement and all that...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up