Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004  (Read 10107 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 06:25:05 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Yeah, I had no idea who Drabble was. He sucks enough to merit pranking, though.
What do you think Ray thinks of that Garfield live-action movie coming out?


Oh sweet jeebus say it ain't so....

I think it's interesting that noone seems to have ever heard of Drabble before.

How many comics (newspaper that is) can really make a decent movie? In the 40's there were a pile of Dagwood and Blondie movies but I don't know if the movies came first....anyone know the answer to this?
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 06:43:55 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
He needs to prank Marvin next. Sweet Christ that comic sucks so hard. That hack has fallen so far as to write his comic as if the characters were reading another comic, because he realizes that Marvin exhausted the storylines about, oh, after the first comic. And they're never, absolutely never, amusing - in any way. They periodically put the comics in our local paper up to votes - and Marvin just keeps chugging along. I'd rather our comic section was just one enormous Drabble than have Marvin in it anywhere. At least Drabble is a slightly funny name.

/rant


After he gets done with Marvin he needs to move onto Fred Basset, then Hi and Lois, and to top it off he should hit BC.  Now there's a comic so bad it made the news.  
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 06:59:59 pm »

Oh Jesus BC. I hate to say it, but very likely "worst comic ever" - especially the shoving his religious beliefs down my throat every morning. Also, Comet Cursor will rape your computer. Once it is there, it can not be removed - at least that's my experience.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 07:14:23 pm »

I can't believe no one wants to see Ray lay into Doonesbury or Prince Valliant.

Personally, I'd like to see Ray put the new "Opus" strip out of its misery.  It's no "Bloom County" - hell, it's not even "Outland."

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 08:39:33 pm »

Three words:

Funky.
Winker.
Bean.

'nuff said.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2004, 08:51:13 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"

Or For Better or for Worse.  He could brag to the human characters about the time he boned Farley.


Oh, now that would be truly evil.

I actually sometimes read Drabble, sort of unintentionally, because it's next to another strip that I do read, and sometimes there's a duck in it and my eyes are irresistably drawn to it.  (Because any joke with a duck in it is funny, right?  Or am I thinking of a chicken?)  And yet, I had no idea what was being referred to till I clicked on that link to the strip's website.  That's how memorable it is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004, 09:24:34 pm »

Why the hate for Doonsbury?
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2004, 09:44:24 pm »

I can't disagree with the idea of B.C. being pranked; it needs it something desperate. My lord.

That said, I do have a soft spot for some of the comics on Asherdan's semi-comprehensive list, most of them because I read them as a wee tot and thus thought they were funny. (And "Hagar the Horrible" because it's a comic about Vikings and thus begs the question of "who in the world came up with this idea, and why?!")

That, and there are still clipped "Zits" cartoons sitting around the V-Adore family estate, because my parents were big "Zits" fans while I was in high school. Sigh.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 10:00:41 pm »

First of all, I didn't ask.

And secondly, I haven't even heard of half of those comics.

Ziggy would be impossible to put down.  He already hates himself.

The Family Circus would be a good one, but who is Ray going to beat on?  Billy?  PJ?

No, it has to be a strip that is hatefully unfunny yet surprisingly successful enough to warrant an annual calendar, prime time teevee specials, and lunch boxes.

Are comics even that popular with kids today?  I mean, I haven't seen Garfield shit in like, ten years.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2004, 10:16:09 pm »

Making fun of the Family Circus is old-skool web humor.  The DFC was IT in about '99 or so.  Surely I don't need to link to  this, but here it is anyway.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2004, 11:09:15 pm »

I read the paper [Globe & Mail, we're good leftist Canadians]'s comics page with closer attention today.  Drabble has much more meaning for me now, and I'll even be able to remember its name.  Heaven knows I don't speak unilaterally for the Youth of Today, but I certainly don't read comics... except for Eightball et al.

As for Family Circus sucking, I agree that it's pretty old news.  Even Charles Schultz ripped into them.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2004, 11:31:56 pm »

Luann: Actually, a coworker and I really enjoyed reading this comic and then making up filthy stories about her and the other folks in the strip.

Thx to AugustWest; I thought that the DFC had been permanently expunged from the internet long ago due to Bil Keane's having set lawyers on the creator much like crazed dogs. Also, after reading the DFC, the Family Circus has become slightly less unbearable.

The Anchorage paper gets the most shitty strips available. The only one worth reading is Mutts.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2004, 11:47:20 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Heaven knows I don't speak unilaterally for the Youth of Today, but I certainly don't read comics... except for Eightball et al.

Who else reads tons of actual "comic book" comics, i.e. Hellboy, Fantastic Four, Capt. America, 1602, etc? Who actually went out and bought plastic sleeves and little cardboard sheets for all of them last week? Who organized them alphabetically last night? WHO IS A SAD, SAD MAN?
Me. All of them. Me.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2004, 12:25:25 am »

You just bagged and boarded your comix last WEEK?  Dude, how the fuck have you been storing them up until this point?

I got rid of most of my childhood comic books during my last move - but I still have some for sentimental value.  The only ones I have that are worth anything are the Sandman originals, and even they aren't worth much. Maybe I'll eBay the whole lot one of these days (I still have the graphic novels).

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Drabble is Your Wife - 12 February 2004
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 12:32:33 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I can't disagree with the idea of B.C. being pranked; it needs it something desperate. My lord.

That said, I do have a soft spot for some of the comics on Asherdan's semi-comprehensive list, most of them because I read them as a wee tot and thus thought they were funny. (And "Hagar the Horrible" because it's a comic about Vikings and thus begs the question of "who in the world came up with this idea, and why?!")

That, and there are still clipped "Zits" cartoons sitting around the V-Adore family estate, because my parents were big "Zits" fans while I was in high school. Sigh.


I guess one of those imponderables would be how do you prank call some cavemen? Maybe Ray could give a letter to that big turtle and he could carry it to BC. That would be funny. How ironic is it that the one shamelessly Christian cartoon is set a few million years before Christ? Also, I don't remember it always being that way....was it?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up