Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2004, 03:53:27 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
You know what the saddest thing is?
I haven't read an actual book, aside from perusing stuff I've already read, in about two weeks. I used to polish off about two a week, but right now I feel absolutely no urge to start a new book. Conversely, I've been rerouting all o the money and brainpower I'd usually spend on new books to alt-country albums and comic books.
What should I read that will return me to the fold of....book....?


I find that it runs in cycles.  I'm always reading something.  Might be the back of a shampoo bottle or a seed catalog, but I've got to read.  Of course, my level of involvement varies.  Usually I have at least 3 or 4 books that I can graze from.  I don't always have a book that I'm really committed to, unfortunately.

I'm going through a drought at the moment.  Nothing is appealing to me.  Tomorrow I could pick something up and spend 7 straight hours reading it, then go to the library and get everything I can by the author.

Life is funny that way.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2004, 05:02:47 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2004, 05:13:59 am »

When's that from, Paul.  My guess is around 1972.  Am I close?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2004, 05:17:41 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
When's that from, Paul.  My guess is around 1972.  Am I close?


You missed it by one year.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2004, 03:20:45 pm »

I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to note that I recently read two Dean Koontz books on the recommendation of a co-worker (and what else do I have to do with my time while I'm at work), and he is still a hack, just as I remembered. Indeed, he is the King of the Hacks. The man can't put a paragraph together without sticking an extended simile in there. Nothing can ever be just what it is. It gets extremely tiresome after a while.

Yeah, like after two pages.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2004, 05:04:31 am »

Magazine: Ad Busters
Comic Book: Transmetropolitan
Book: I'm embarrased to write this, cause I'm not all touchy feely usually but, I just finished  tuesdays with morrie.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2004, 05:13:36 am »

First, a key.
MF: Modern Fantasy
PF: Pure Fantasy
ST: Satire of Today
HF: Historical Fiction
---
MF: Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere
PF: Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
ST: Maxx* Barry, Syrup
HF: C. S. Forester, Hornblower and the Hotspur
SF: Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
PF: Terry Pratchett, Mort
PF: Neil Gaiman, Stardust
HF: Wilbur Smith, Monsoon
PF: Gregory Maguire, Wicked
SF: Ben Bova, The Precipice
ST: Max Barry, Jennifer Government
PF: Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures
SF: Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe, and Everything
---
All books I've started and finished in the last three months. [edit to add]There are many I've forgotten because they made no impression. Yes, I'm a ridiculous Discworld fan, and a Gaiman fan. Sue me.[/edit] Sorry I don't post in this thread very often, but I just tear too quickly through cheap fiction.
---
*He added the extra 'x' to enhance the somewhat criminal satire. An excellent read, very funny, fast, and fun.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2004, 05:54:43 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"

ST: Maxx* Barry, Syrup


I bought Syrup at an airport bookstore.  Talk about your perfect airplane read.  I want a can of Fukk Cola.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2004, 07:04:47 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
Magazine: Ad Busters


Aie.  I gave up on them a while back (around the time of the Jesus-in-a-landfill issue, if that means anything to you).  I find it kind of embarassingly self-satisfied now.  I mean, even more so than a publication of that genre deserves to be.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2004, 02:46:46 am »

I took William Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties with me on my trip this weekend.  Took a little persistance, but I'm halfway through it and into now.

I'm kinda torn over Gibson.  I read all of 'em 5 or 6 years ago and enjoyed them very much.  However, I've picked them back up to read again and they haven't engaged me at all.  Normally when I find a book I like, I'll read it over and over (or at least parts of it...)  So it's odd that I can't do that with say, Count Zero or Neuromancer because I enjoyed them both very very much on the first go round.

Also, I seem to be very conscious that Gibson is Writing as opposed to just telling a story.  Don't get me wrong, he can turn a phrase exceptionally well.  There are some beautifully descriptive passages in the book I'm reading that have struck me with their literary merit.  However, there's a part of me that thinks that going around hitting people between the eyes with your goddamn literary merit can distract them from the story you're trying to tell.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2004, 02:01:25 pm »

I'm reading Andrew Vachss "Dead and Gone" right now. I'm a regular reader of his stuff, but somehow missed this one. Also, much of the book takes place in Portland, which is a bonus. I just finished "Black Images in the Comics" by Fredrik Stromberg (I'm sure there's a way to put an umlaut over that 'o' but I don't know how). Interesting, if brief book, on a topic that deserves a great deal more analysis.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2004, 04:21:57 pm »

So I finally started reading again; right now I'm doing Cut Numbers, by Nick Tosches, A Cook's Tour, by Anthony Bourdan, and A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Alexander Solzhenitsky. Respectively, they're about gangsters trying to fix the New York State lotto (with tons more navel-gazing than you'd expect from a crime novel; Tosches is like the Elmore Leonard that actually has stuff to say), a cook's tour of the world, in search of the perfect meal, and a day in the life of a prisoner of a Siberian labor camp. An odd set, I know, but they are all united in the fact that they were cheap (none more than $5.95).
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2004, 05:09:50 pm »

Be sure to read Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, if you haven't already.  He's an arrogant prick, but it's still a good read.  Remember, don't order giraffe on Mondays.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2004, 07:47:55 pm »

Second on Kitchen Confidential. It's a riot and it gives you good insight.

Any other foodies out there, have you read "The Debt to Pleasure" by John Lanchester? If you haven't, it's awesome.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2004, 08:07:00 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Any other foodies out there, have you read "The Debt to Pleasure" by John Lanchester? If you haven't, it's awesome.


Never heard of it, tell us more.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up