I'm sorry. I can't do it.
I just can't imagine Cort in an Adult Situation.
You know, I've always thought that virtually every woman I've ever met (except my dear wife, thank god) has felt exactly this way about me.
That is because you, dear August, are representative of what I like to call "The Marrying Kind."
Funny story. When Pedro and I were kids, just after he had screwed up the <parts> to ask me out but just before he actually asked, I dropped this bombshell on him:
"You know, you're just like a brother to me."
At the time, I knew that I liked him, but had no idea that he liked me, and, since I was seeing someone else *and* my best friend at the time had a four-alarm crush on him, I felt the honorable thing to do was to pull out the "you're such a good friend" line and let dear Jenni have a shot. Little did I know.
He ended up asking me out anyway, and Jenni and the guy I'd been dating (who, I'm ashamed to say, got kicked to the curb) were more than a little annoyed. But, in retrospect, Jenni (and her husband) seem pleased with the way things turned out.
The morning of our first date, Jenni and I had a conversation about whether or not Pedro would try to kiss me. My reaction: "Who, Pedro? Hell no. He's so...innocent.*"
See? The marrying kind.
Incidentally, I wonder if those of you who have met Pedro and I have greater-than-average trouble with my participation in such conversations, since you know both halves of the equation, so to speak.
A fascinating question of mental gymnastics.
*
He did.