Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill Bill  (Read 4382 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2004, 12:26:21 am »

Hey: for spoilers, do this:

[ color=#eee][ /color]

like, you know.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Kill Bill
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 03:48:54 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "jough"
I refute none of that.

I also heard someone say yesterday that "I don't like Tarantino movies."

They may as well have said "I don't like movies."  I mean, Tarantino is a master of the form.  He's the Rodin of cinema.  (Generally if you don't like Rodin's work, you just don't like sculpture)

Wow. He's made, what, 4 movies?


Yes, but my statement would have held true after the second.

I was pretty down after Reservoir Dogs, I just think that your statement is awfully blankety.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 10:19:11 pm »

I liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but only because of the humor. Kill Bill Volume 1 was one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. It was boring, slow, and plotless. The characters were uninteresting and, except for a few roles, poorly acted. I guess this movie is an 'homage', but I found it less entertaining than any of the movies it's imitating. People keep telling me that he puts a unique twist on old styles of cinema, but to me it just seems modernized.

It didn't even have the sense of humor that made me love Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs... The only thing I liked was the music.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2004, 10:28:16 pm »

I fell asleep watching Kill Bill 1 because there was no real story beyond the waking up and revenging thing. I did like the fight scenes and the music, and the set styling was really pretty cool too. I liked the movie for the most part but a story/plotline/character development would have made it more interesting for me. I hear we get all that in the second installment (I have a five year old, so who knows if I get to see it in the theatre....although I will have to see Home on the Range).
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Kill Bill
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 10:48:42 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I fell asleep watching Kill Bill 1 because there was no real story beyond the waking up and revenging thing. I did like the fight scenes and the music, and the set styling was really pretty cool too. I liked the movie for the most part but a story/plotline/character development would have made it more interesting for me. I hear we get all that in the second installment (I have a five year old, so who knows if I get to see it in the theatre....although I will have to see Home on the Range).


I had many of the same problems as you with the first installment (though they didn't keep me from enjoying it, generally), and I vastly preferred the second.
Logged
goose means greedy

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Kill Bill
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 04:01:25 am »

It's like Jackie Brown has fallen off the face of the earth...

He's made five movies, if you count Kill Bill as two separate movies (apologies if you don't).  Plus his contribution to that one movie.  Four Rooms?  Something?

I love Jackie Brown, almost as much as Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.  Resevoir Dogs is pretty OK too.

But, the Rodin of cinema?  I dunno...

He does kick ass.  And he is a master of the form (I say this, but I used to think he was a bit of a hack--just an ethical disclaimer).  But I still think that there is room for Tarantino disdain by people who generally love and understand the medium.

In Literature, it sometimes seems to me almost no one agrees on what is great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Kill Bill
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 04:04:37 am »

Try finding someone who can dish on Shakespeare and still be taken seriously at cocktail parties.  

Some things are just unassailably great.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Kill Bill
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 04:20:38 am »

Agree with that.  Shakespeare is one of the few that everyone seems to agree on.  TS Eliot is a better example, I think.  I, among many others, adore the man.  Some people loathe him.  I still respect them as literary critics and lovers, and I'm sure that Eliot's detractors still respect those critics who admire his work.

But, I've never been to a cocktail party.

Quote from: "jough"
Try finding someone who can dish on Shakespeare and still be taken seriously at cocktail parties.  

Some things are just unassailably great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 05:19:39 am »

I haven't seen either Kill Bill yet (I will, just give me time) but I think Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are two of the best movies of the last 30 years.  Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies evar.  Jackie Brown was a good watch but didn't reach the level of the first two.

I've seen Four Rooms a couple of times and enjoyed it on both occasions  Trying to remember who the four directors were -- Tarrantino and Robert Rodreguez are all I'm coming up with.  Oddly enough, this wasn't the first four directored movie -- New York Stories did the same thing about 10 years earlier.

We need a movie review thread.  Maybe I'll start one later.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up