Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 15584 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2004, 04:26:27 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man.  I realized a long time ago I could never get a PhD. without changing my name.  
Yeah, it's worth revealing my surname for this.


Oh, but that is BEST reason to get a PhD I ever heard of.

Some days the only thing that kept me in grad school was that I wanted to be able to say "I'm a doctor, Jim, not a (whatever)."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2004, 04:33:35 pm »

Other great (real) doctor names I've encountered:

Dr. Pain/Payne
Dr. Strange
Baz De Baz, M.D.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2004, 05:12:57 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
It could be worse.  Instead of a soda, you could be gravy.


That is truly the limit!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2004, 08:27:11 pm »

With my last name, I feel honor-bound to get a PhD, possibly in evil-ology. (Were I to combine my last name and my SO's upon marriage, it is entirely possible that I could have the finest evil pseudoscientist name in the history of man; this is, needless to say, very tempting.)
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2004, 09:21:19 pm »

I am determined to get a Ph.D. so that my kids' friends can tell their parents they're going to play and Dr. and Mr. Dunston's house.  

That just sounds neat to me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2004, 09:26:34 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I am determined to get a Ph.D. so that my kids' friends can tell their parents they're going to play and Dr. and Mr. Dunston's house.  

That just sounds neat to me.

This is stone awesome.

Just don't turn into one of those people who insist on being called Doctor even when it's awkward or obviously making them an asshole. My AP English Language teacher was one of these people, to the point that it became a miniature tradition for particularly gutsy or fatalistic students to end their year with her by yelling "thanks, Mrs. Cog-Nard!" and running away as quickly as their legs could carry them.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2004, 09:33:31 pm »

Oh, goodness, no.  All I ask is that my children address other adults by their proper titles until they are old enough to vote.  I will also expect my students to refer to my by my proper title; fortunately, Mrs. is as proper as Dr. in my case, since I'll be no more proud of obtaining my Ph.D. than I am of being married to Mr. Dunston.  As for everyone who's not my student or child, some variation my actual name will do just fine.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2004, 09:37:55 pm »

Sorry folks - I've been too busy drinking and plotting the demise of my students lately to post. But here goes.

My name's as plain as plain gets. Sara Childs. Yes, that's Sara with no h, and Childs with an s at the end (Julia Child has no s, and no, we're not related). No, obnoxious childhood friend, I'm not going to change my surname to Adult when I grow up. Yes, obnoxious chlidhood english teacher, my name is grammatically incorrect. Kee-rist.

Luckily, my sweetie (and, in all likelyhood, future spouse's) last name is a nice, uncommon anglicized Polish name. And who knows, this thread might inspire me to change my name to Louise (my middle name) Mite. Hmmm...
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2004, 09:51:02 pm »

Yay for Polish names!  

My maiden name was one of the rarer names in the world -- it was kind of a shame to let it go, but I figure, that's what the men in the family are for.  Sure, I had a husband who would've gladly let me keep my maiden name, and a mother-in-law who encouraged me to do so (the only reason she didn't is because of a cultural misunderstanding between her and an immigrations officer).  But in the end, I just decided to do the traditional thing and take Pedro's name.  

How un-empowered of me.  Hey, it's my own brand of feminism: I'm celebrating the femininity inherent in Cold War era gender roles.  Conformity is Freedom!  Down with the Reds!  

Sorry.  It's an odd day.  Incidentally, Pedro and I will be out of town starting this evening and ending Saturday afternoon, in celebration of his sister's college graduation.  This isn't the appropriate place to announce this, but I just realized that it's almost six and I haven't packed.  

Toodles!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2004, 10:29:32 pm »

I always wanted my students to call me Herr Doktor Professor.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's in a name?
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2004, 11:01:33 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
Luckily, my sweetie (and, in all likelyhood, future spouse's) last name is a nice, uncommon anglicized Polish name. And who knows, this thread might inspire me to change my name to Louise (my middle name) Mite. Hmmm...


Man, we totally have the same middle name.  Let's be friends or something.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2004, 11:32:59 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I am determined to get a Ph.D. so that my kids' friends can tell their parents they're going to play and Dr. and Mr. Dunston's house.  

That just sounds neat to me.

This is stone awesome.

Just don't turn into one of those people who insist on being called Doctor even when it's awkward or obviously making them an asshole. My AP English Language teacher was one of these people, to the point that it became a miniature tradition for particularly gutsy or fatalistic students to end their year with her by yelling "thanks, Mrs. Cog-Nard!" and running away as quickly as their legs could carry them.

This is why I liked attending a school where it was forbidden to address any teacher as Dr. (unless an M.D.). It was much easier just to call all the professors Judy or whatever than trying to remember who was Dr., Mr., Mrs., Ms. . . .
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
What's in a name?
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2004, 02:17:10 am »

Louise might what?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2004, 03:18:50 am »

I thought I also must make mention of this...
I just bought my car of someone who was called Farquharson.
Farquharson Inkster.
For as long as my car is around I get to remember it from the forms.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's in a name?
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2004, 03:30:24 am »

!!!
Slink and his car win.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up