Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Poll

Would you prefer...

Banner Ads (468x60) For Cool Stuff
- 10 (47.6%)
A single Pop-Under every 12 hours.
- 1 (4.8%)
Donations Only.
- 10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: August 07, 2003, 04:35:58 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advertising -vs- Donations  (Read 6887 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2003, 02:59:18 am »

looks like nobody wants the pop-unders, and if you did that you'd get no money coming in from me visiting as it would never load.  if you put a banner ad that isn't flashing or bouncing or otherwise annoying i probably won't block it :)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2003, 04:50:34 am »

The poll was just a rough indicator to see how hated banner ads would be.

It's dead even right now between banner ads and donations - of course, if donations stop coming in (as they have), it won't be a choice.

But in another thread I pointed out that it's not really fair to expect the same five people to donate ad nauseam.  Banner ads would mean that no one would have to pony up anything, and I'd limit it to text ads and static things.

In any case, the point will be moot once I get an exclusive deal with a single advertiser, who shall go nameless at this point.

But those ads will be welcome - just you wait and see.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2003, 05:14:24 am »

Oh, I'll click your ads, jough, and I'll donate as soon as I get some Abrahams to spare.

Quote from: "jough"
In any case, the point will be moot once I get an exclusive deal with a single advertiser, who shall go nameless at this point.

But those ads will be welcome - just you wait and see.


I think maybe the only ways ads will be welcome is if they're either porn or from a certain geek goods store... why can't I think of the name...?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2003, 05:30:27 am »

No no no, nothing like that.

All I will say further on the subject is that the ads will be HIGHLY RELEVANT to the theme of this site.

Perhaps I've said too much already.  :shock:

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2003, 05:32:44 am »

How's about a banner that disappears if I make a donation? I don't mind banners and I would/will donate.

You could have some kind of content for donaters. Don't know what that would be and I would not want to stratify the board, either. OK so it's a bad idea. Forget I mentioned that one.

Don't do not popups, popovers, poptarts, popstars, popsicles or anything else that pops. I hates them, precioussss.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2003, 06:09:16 am »

aww, man, i was really hoping for some thinkgeek ads. oooh.... i may have another guess. but i'll save it so i can say "i knew it!" regardless of my actual guess.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2003, 04:56:25 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You could have some kind of content for donaters. Don't know what that would be and I would not want to stratify the board, either. OK so it's a bad idea. Forget I mentioned that one.


Donators get a special rank of their own choosing.  I think that's neat.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2003, 05:01:05 pm »

Whoops. See, yesterday I got a pop-up while surfing the board and thought that meant Jough had made his choice, hence my comment above. But it turned out that Erin had left a window of the Washington Post up that I didn't notice, which auto-refreshes and brings up new ads every few minutes. Whoops.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2003, 05:08:01 pm »

No, I wouldn't subject you people to pop-ups. They're too easily blocked to be a reliable source of revenue, anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up