The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on December 01, 2005, 05:47:20 pm

Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 01, 2005, 05:47:20 pm
Just to start things off; I believe that our first blog of December is Lil' Neff talking about...erggghhhh.
I went to Suicide Girls (http://www.suicidegirls.com) to see if they actually did have a new dudes section (hey, it's winter-time and my gas bill is going up); as far as I can see, they don't, but I couldn't look at the website for more than a minute at a time without being felled by the twin hammers of Pretention and Over-Crowded Homepage. It was like having my eyes bludgeoned out by the Strokes. Not by the hand of one of the Strokes, but actually as if someone picked up the Strokes and jammed them into my eye sockets.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 01, 2005, 06:19:10 pm
"Triple hot mocha fluenza." This is all.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: antioch on December 01, 2005, 07:01:19 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"

I went to Suicide Girls (http://www.suicidegirls.com) to see if they actually did have a new dudes section (hey, it's winter-time and my gas bill is going up); as far as I can see, they don't, but I couldn't look at the website for more than a minute at a time without being felled by the twin hammers of Pretention and Over-Crowded Homepage. It was like having my eyes bludgeoned out by the Strokes. Not by the hand of one of the Strokes, but actually as if someone picked up the Strokes and jammed them into my eye sockets.


 Aren't you the guy who gets pissed when people link bad websites? Yeah, I've avoided that stew since I fell into it by way of the former Makeoutclub byway. Boo to that!    

I want LN to start writing more modern poetry and hyping it like he runs a hip hop label. The joint-o-vision arc has been pretty funny (in blog form).
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 01, 2005, 08:22:31 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Just to start things off; I believe that our first blog of December is Lil' Neff talking about...erggghhhh.
I went to Suicide Girls (http://www.suicidegirls.com) to see if they actually did have a new dudes section (hey, it's winter-time and my gas bill is going up); as far as I can see, they don't, but I couldn't look at the website for more than a minute at a time without being felled by the twin hammers of Pretention and Over-Crowded Homepage. It was like having my eyes bludgeoned out by the Strokes. Not by the hand of one of the Strokes, but actually as if someone picked up the Strokes and jammed them into my eye sockets.

You mean that there's more to SG than just the picture packs floating around on eDonkey? Whoda thunk it?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 01, 2005, 10:32:43 pm
Andalucia just finished a semiotics (or something) paper on SG, and, instead of dropping the $10 for research, she just searched SoulSeek and downloaded from there. Apparently, one picture is of a woman in bondage gear pouring Pabst Blue Ribbon on herself. If that doesn't tell you the (fake) target audience, I don't know what would.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 02, 2005, 04:38:13 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Andalucia just finished a semiotics (or something) paper on SG, and, instead of dropping the $10 for research, she just searched SoulSeek and downloaded from there. Apparently, one picture is of a woman in bondage gear pouring Pabst Blue Ribbon on herself. If that doesn't tell you the (fake) target audience, I don't know what would.

Wow, it's like an explosion at the Pretentious Hipster Factory. Was she also wearing a black trucker hat emblazoned with an upside-down cross? Because that's what I'm picturing.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 02, 2005, 05:06:48 am
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 02, 2005, 05:22:49 am
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 02, 2005, 05:59:43 am
That's kind of the idea I had, but to me, PBR is simply really cheap but not absoulte shit beer (though I almost never drink it).  I'd never made the connection between the two before this board.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Choop on December 02, 2005, 07:07:24 am
Two words: Knoxville. Jackass.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 02, 2005, 07:16:43 am
Quote from: "miles"
That's kind of the idea I had, but to me, PBR is simply really cheap but not absoulte shit beer (though I almost never drink it).  I'd never made the connection between the two before this board.


It's absolute shit beer.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Thee on December 02, 2005, 10:24:23 am
Hipsters "lower" on the totem pole will like PBR.  Others will wear Pabst shirts or "I heart Pabst" bracelets, but won't touch the stuff.  Also, note that the suicide girl was not, in fact, DRINKING the PBR.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 05, 2005, 04:09:29 pm
Beer thread split into a new thread in Sports & Leisure so we can theoretically talk about the actual blogs in here.

So, about the "blog, revisited" concept: Which is weirder, the realization of how long the blogs have been running now or the lameness of doing reposts of optional material?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on December 05, 2005, 04:15:02 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Beer thread split into a new thread in Sports & Leisure so we can theoretically talk about the actual blogs in here.

So, about the "blog, revisited" concept: Which is weirder, the realization of how long the blogs have been running now or the lameness of doing reposts of optional material?


BRING BACK VARIETY HOUR!
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Limmo on December 05, 2005, 06:02:37 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"

BRING BACK VARIETY HOUR!


That won't be necessary, thanks.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Thee on December 05, 2005, 07:57:59 pm
Reposts strike me as lame, but to give 'stead credit, that was a good bit of writing.  I, too, would be proud of it.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 05, 2005, 09:50:42 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.


you've poured me an overflowing carafe of Haterade there
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 05, 2005, 10:09:09 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.


you've poured me an overflowing carafe of Haterade there

I love you too, Toroid. May your cup always runneth over.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 06, 2005, 02:01:12 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "miles"
So, Bobby mentioned it, but why is PBR such a hipster thing?

As I understand it, it's the hipster appropriation of symbols of the underclass -- basically, the same reason that trucker hats were popular and '70's-style retro advertising t-shirts are big now. Consciously adopting products seen as "shoddy" or "gauche" despite having better means reflects a certain hip irony, I think.

Feel free to correct me, people who actually know things about this.


you've poured me an overflowing carafe of Haterade there

I love you too, Toroid. May your cup always runneth over.


You are absolutely right, though, Adopting and commercializing signs of the underclass is that disgusts me most about hipsters. Also I hate their aesthetics, contrarian attitudes and I'm going to spin out of control if I don't stop now.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 06, 2005, 02:07:14 am
So if someone who is genuinely broke drinks PBR it is OK?

Just like if someone wears a trucker hat because he is a trucker I guess.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 06, 2005, 02:23:10 am
Quote from: "miles"
So if someone who is genuinely broke drinks PBR it is OK?

Just like if someone wears a trucker hat because he is a trucker I guess.

I think about it this way: if you genuinely like whatever you're doing, I'm okay with that. But if you hate it and are doing it ironically (and think that doing it nonironically is terminally lame), then fie on you.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on December 06, 2005, 03:58:45 am
here here! V-Adore I'm in complete agreement with you. I hate those kind of trends and uh oh...i think i feel a rant coming...no wait false alarm it's just a story.

Let me tell a little tale. I'm a bit of a tight wad, I'm frugal (that's a better way of saying it) so I look for the best deals and consider the price over the style 90% of the time. So I wore Converse Chuck Taylor's and (even still) I buy a lot of my clothing at Thrift stores. Now about 4 years ago (maybe? approx?) those two things became ever so popular. It was the trend to look cheap. Did it effect me? Hell no, I kept on shopping at thrift stores and continued to lace up my Chucks. Because it's just as bad, in my eyes, if you change your life either away or towards a trend. Eventually this Chuck Taylor craze took a turn for the worst and the price jumped to like, what is it now, $45 or $50? For rubber and canvas? Those shoes are so poorly made it's sad! So some acquaintances say "mang, you can't wear this and that blah blah, it's so trendy! You gotta be original (dawg)!" And I say to them "Dude I'm so original (cartman voice) I wear what I want! I wear what I want!"

Yeah for a while I was trying to make this story relevant to the topic but I think I failed and probably ended up just confusing people. Thanks for reading though!
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2005, 03:58:51 am
Quote from: "miles"
So if someone who is genuinely broke drinks PBR it is OK?

What if someone actually likes PBR?  Is it ok to drink it then?

~Paul
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 06, 2005, 04:43:44 am
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
Let me tell a little tale. I'm a bit of a tight wad, I'm frugal (that's a better way of saying it) so I look for the best deals and consider the price over the style 90% of the time. So I wore Converse Chuck Taylor's and (even still) I buy a lot of my clothing at Thrift stores. Now about 4 years ago (maybe? approx?) those two things became ever so popular. It was the trend to look cheap.


Must be on some kind of cycle because it was cool to look cheap when I was in Jr. High/High School (about 8-13 years ago).
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2005, 05:08:00 am
hm, so.
the saddest thing:

Oh, yeah, bye man. Hey wait, rock/paper/scissors. Yeah, I know you said you wouldn't bet any more money. What, are you afraid I'll win? Just like 5$! That's all! OK, ok, ok. Rock, paper, scissors... shit. Yeah, ok. So what did I say? 5$? Here it is. No, no man, it's cool, it's cool, you won it, it's yours. Yeah, I think you'd better leave now. Bye.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: ndpatel on December 06, 2005, 04:29:53 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
Let me tell a little tale. I'm a bit of a tight wad, I'm frugal (that's a better way of saying it) so I look for the best deals and consider the price over the style 90% of the time. So I wore Converse Chuck Taylor's and (even still) I buy a lot of my clothing at Thrift stores. Now about 4 years ago (maybe? approx?) those two things became ever so popular. It was the trend to look cheap.


Must be on some kind of cycle because it was cool to look cheap when I was in Jr. High/High School (about 8-13 years ago).


chucks have always been cool. that's just the way it is.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 06, 2005, 05:58:49 pm
Certain people just can't wear them unironically though.

Smallish counterculture girls look best in them.



Kind of Like Ally Sheedy in Breakfast Club or Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink but, like, WAYYY Cuter
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on December 06, 2005, 06:03:04 pm
Personally, I think big ungainly guys with size 12 feet look best in Chucks.  Especially bright red Chucks.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on December 06, 2005, 06:34:14 pm
I think Chucks should come back down to a reasonable price so I can wear them again. They are so versitile! I can wear black ones with anything. But for some reason I still have about 6 pairs (all different colors) of them in my closet, too bad their all extreamly old and ripped to hell! Right where your tops start on both sides, that's the point where they all go to broken town. I'll try to get a picture up of my collection.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: andalucia on December 06, 2005, 06:35:52 pm
Yeah, also there was that thing where Nike bought out Converse, so not only are they not Edgy, they are also actively part of the evil empire.  Just sayin'.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: ndpatel on December 06, 2005, 11:15:16 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, also there was that thing where Nike bought out Converse, so not only are they not Edgy, they are also actively part of the evil empire.  Just sayin'.


right now i don't even own a pair of chucks, so i don't know why i am The Dude Who Must Defend Chuck Taylor's Honor, but so be it.

i think the deal is that they're actually just cool shoes, you know? i mean minus the hipster crap, they are aesthetically pleasing things to have on one's feet, plus i always thought them to be rather comfortable.

not everything cool has to be about sticking to the Man, i guess. i mean shit,  it's not like sony even paid the clash until like, four or five years ago, but i still bought all those records, you know?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 07, 2005, 12:04:18 am
I wear Vans because I used to work someplace where I had to stand behind a counter on a concrete floor for 8 hours. Now I wear Doc Marten's, because I have to stand behind a desk on a thinly-carpeted concrete floor for 8 hours, and I can't wear sneakers. I have Frye boots because I got them 4 years ago and they're still in great condition, some Chucks because they were on ultra-sale at Urban Outfitters and I got them for $10 and...flip-flops? That's basically it. I don't really think about aesthetics, really, although I used to worry that my Vans made it look like I was wearing clown shoes. I know that Women Notice Shoes, but I'm pretty sure that the Women Who Notice Shoes are also the Women I Don't Want To Date.
Apparently VF Corp, the company that makes Vans, are pretty evil, and Doc Martens are made entirely in China now. Frye boots are made entirely in the US, so I can feel okay about owning three pairs (another win from UO ultra sale- $120 boots for $35? Don't mind if I do!).
The whole "sweatshop" issue is techy; the term itself hard to define, although I like the wiki definition, which says that sweatshops are not defined by their locations, but by their working conditions. I've seen it posited that sweatshops are actually a natural stage in the economic evolution of a country; America used to have a shit ton of sweatshops. The problem is, in many places, the economic development of a country has been crippled, specifically to make sweatshops the only viable industry; there is also the problems inherent in sending manufacturing jobs overseas. And, in any case, most people don't work in a sweatshop because they're forced to (although sometimes they are; I've heard such things about sweatshops in Guatemala that are essential forced labor camps, although I haven't seen any facts on the matter and am in fact too lazy to google for them, as this is a conversation that began with cartoon cats); sweatshops are the best jobs around. Forcing companies to just shut down sweatshops is actually worse than keeping them open.
So what are we to do? If we were actually to bankrupt Nike, the situation would be much worse than before. Also, if we just refuse to purchase Nike and other such brands, they can just as well attribute the loss of sales to competition within the marketplace and miss the point entirely. And I never wore Nikes, even before I found out about the sweatshops.
What's the world community to do?  Well, in my perfect totalitarian dictatorship, there would be a world minimum wage, calculated out using the GNP of a country; I'll leave that to people smarter than I. American companies, or even companies that operate branches in America or import to America would have to pay this minimum wage, as well as adhere to regulations regarding working environments, etc. Finally, companies that imported goods into America would have to pay taxes that would make setting up a plant overseas only slightly more economically feasible than setting up one in the States; thus, companies would keep their factories in other countries open, but new factories would be more likely to open in America. Any long-term economic loss would be more than made up for by the good PR created (Chuck Taylors- An American Original, Actually Made By Americans Again!). We'd probably have to throw in there some stuff about factory sizes (no fair just increasing the size of your factories, Nike! Bad Nike!), and we could funnel back most of the import taxes to the country of origin itself, or some sort of international body that could distribute it in a manner positive to the country of origin (as many places that have sweatshops don't have the best government).
Now all I have to do is ally myself with Victor Von Doom, totalitarian monarch of Latveria (apparently, Latveria is a pretty democratic place; they have a Parliament or something. Von Doom does get supreme veto powers, but I've read that he's actually quite sensitive to the needs of Latverians.). With his DoomBots, we can take over the WORLD and make every company act like IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_ikea/social_environmental/the_ikea_code_conduct.html)! Wobbly CD racks and rancid meatballs for all! That is, as long as that dastardly Reed Richards and Squirrel Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel_Girl) don't get in our way!
DAMN YOU SQUIRREL GIRLLLLLL!!!!! (http://www.geocities.com/druj_nasu/Doom_squirreled.JPG)
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 07, 2005, 05:29:04 am
I wear New Balance shoes because I wear a EEEE and nobody else makes that shit.

Also, I didn't realize that Squirrel Girl was different from The Flying Squirrel (who is so minor that she doesn't yet have a wiki page).
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 07, 2005, 06:36:39 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also, I didn't realize that Squirrel Girl was different from The Flying Squirrel (who is so minor that she doesn't yet have a wiki page).


Not to be confused with Die Fledermaus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Fledermaus_%28The_Tick%29).
Did I mention I love wikipedia? I love wikipedia.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on December 07, 2005, 04:21:13 pm
Molly needs to do a better job of understanding her man. And Beef shouldn't be so worried about waking her up to retrieve his late-night snack.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 07, 2005, 04:27:32 pm
I'm glad we finally got this entry. As soon as Beef mentioned his list you knew Molly had to react to it eventually.

Cilantro sucks.

Edit: New rank, bitches! How ya like me now?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Biz Markizzle on December 07, 2005, 04:45:46 pm
Beef's post gave me a nostalgic feeling on account of I grew up about 30 seconds from a Tom's of Maine factory and store. Their chips are pretty good. One time when I was in 3rd grade I think we went on a fieldtrip to the factory and it was one of the most boring fieldtrips ever. We didn't even get free stuff. Not even toothpaste!
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 07, 2005, 05:03:29 pm
Oh Beef, Beef.  The chips story, it is the saddest thing.

But um, Tom's the toothpaste company makes chips?  I actually use their toothpaste religiously but it never occurred to me to think "Hey, you know what these people should make?  Snack foods!"

Edit:  Cort!  I bow down before your majesty!
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: MattFish on December 07, 2005, 06:17:33 pm
Okay, I think I see where this is going. Molly and Little Nephew working at Starbucks together. Violence ensues.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 07, 2005, 06:46:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Edit: New rank, bitches! How ya like me now?


God. Keep us informed when you move over into the Q Continuum.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: andalucia on December 07, 2005, 07:09:10 pm
Man, I have never seen Tom's of Maine chips, but I would be all over that if they are as bracingly enjoyable as their toothpaste, and especially if they don't come in an unnecessarily sturdy sharp metal tube.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 07, 2005, 07:19:09 pm
Quote from: "Teodor"
Lately, I've been trying to pin down what makes an "Asian" flavored coleslaw tick (don't you just love how since the Blog Quality Bar has been set so low, I can mention this entirely without a segue, and it will seem like high literature simply because there are no misspellings and you can't tell which band I'm listening to?).

Sad(dest thing) but true.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on December 07, 2005, 07:40:53 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Okay, I think I see where this is going. Molly and Little Nephew working at Starbucks together. Violence ensues.


Oh, man I totally forgot LN worked there. He's probably gonna end up being her supervisor.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Biz Markizzle on December 07, 2005, 09:55:07 pm
No, I've never actually seen or heard of Tom's of Maine chips of any sort. I know they do make salt and vinegar flavored toothpaste, but actual chips?  I wonder if they are real. Maybe someone with better internet research skills can investigate this. I know there is a company called Tom's Foods that makes chips and other...foods...but as far as I know they have nothing to do with Maine?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2005, 12:50:53 am
There used to be a snack food company called Tom's.  You'd usually find their stuff in the less refined vending machines.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 08, 2005, 06:08:44 am
OK, I am so confused by all this nonsense.  Chips?  Toothpaste?  Vinegar?

Is the toothpaste really that good?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 08, 2005, 09:58:51 am
http://www.tomsfoods.com/products.cfm

Not the same, you see. The other company makes natural bathroom products. And yes, they are pretty good and "natural."
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2005, 02:49:33 pm
Eh. I'm a Dirty Chips man. Mmm, Lightly Salted.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 08, 2005, 05:50:35 pm
I didn't know you liked sailors so much. (http://www.catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=231)

REMEMBER THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN TOMS, PEOPLE.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2005, 07:42:41 am
I guess i'm the last to see Molly for what she is, but there is no doubt about it now, she's a bitch.

~Paul
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Ben-San on December 09, 2005, 07:52:34 am
I guess I am not sure what about the most recent entries casts a clear light of truth on Molly == Bitch. The potato-chips scenario is one of Beef's worst-case imaginings (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004) as far as I can tell and I have to say that his Christmas list really is pretty non-helpful for someone who wants to treat him better than he thinks he deserves to be treated.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Hobot on December 09, 2005, 05:19:05 pm
I agree with Ben; I don't understand why the recent blog updates are definitive proof of Molly's bitchiness.  She's not my favourite character, but I think she makes Beef at least somewhat happier than he would be if he were alone.  I didn't get the impression that she outright refused Beef's request for steak and eggs; she was just frustrated that he didn't provide her with a better way to show how much she cares about him.

Maybe I'm sympathising with Molly because my SO is kind of like Beef, in that he doesn't like the gift-giving aspect of the holiday season; this makes me feel guilty that I do enjoy it, "And that sends me into a shame spiral."

Having said that, I do miss Heaven Molly.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 09, 2005, 05:49:03 pm
Quote from: "Hobot"

Having said that, I do miss Heaven Molly.


Yeah, well isn't that how we all feel when the honeymoon is over...
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2005, 06:07:58 pm
Quote from: "Hobot"
I agree with Ben; I don't understand why the recent blog updates are definitive proof of Molly's bitchiness.

It's proof because Beef made a very simple request and she is blaming him for not doing her job for her.  If she doesn't like his suggestion (an unexpected steak) and wants to give him a "proper" present she should just do it and stop complaining that Beef isn't being helpful.  Mantonio mentioned that "Molly needs to do a better job of understanding her man."  I agree, if she was paying attention she wouldn't need a fuck*ng list, she would already know what he wants/needs.  But she's in holiday complaint mode.  I just can't stand people who act like they're oh so put upon by the holidays.

~Paul
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Ben-San on December 09, 2005, 07:24:24 pm
Well, it's not like Molly can't/won't come up with original gift ideas for Beef; see also the train schedule (http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2004/12/and-then-you-know.html) last year. The problem as I read it is that she sees Beef as having on one hand asked for a more direct communication and then on the other refused to give it. Calling the list swap a bitchy thing for her to try is perplexing as it appears to be Beef's idea.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 09, 2005, 08:30:45 pm
Quote from: "Hobot"
Maybe I'm sympathising with Molly because my SO is kind of like Beef, in that he doesn't like the gift-giving aspect of the holiday season; this makes me feel guilty that I do enjoy it, "And that sends me into a shame spiral."

So you're seeing Brad Goodman?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 09, 2005, 09:09:50 pm
Speaking as someone who has a very, very Beegiraffe SO -- yes, it is hard to understand your man, especially when you know that doing basically anything he doesn't like sets off a cascade of passive-aggressive shame. I can empathize with Molly here a lot. ("Why am I supposed to explain my every fleeting thought clearly, but you can be obscure and I'm supposed to put up with it?")*

Molly is doing her best with a difficult guy, and Beef is doing his best to deal with the complex and difficult social interaction that is being in a relationship. I think it's a bit simplistic to describe their dynamic as one-sidedly as "Molly is a bitch," much like I don't think Beef and Ray's dynamic can be summed up with "Ray is an asshole." One ofthe things I like best about this comic is that, for all its absurdity, the character relationships are well-textured and have realistic complexity.

* In many ways the difference between my SO and Beef is that Beef tries harder.**
** Sorry. Love-life things aren't going so hot for me right now. I promise to get back to talking about the depressed dogs and retarded otter soon.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: arkabee on December 09, 2005, 10:12:08 pm
if i asked for steak and eggs for christmas,
and i got steak and eggs for christmas,
i'd be happy.

if i asked for steak and eggs for christmas,
and i was told that was not an acceptable answer,
i'd be sad.

if i asked for steak and eggs for christmas,
and i got steak and eggs for christmas,
and i was brought the steak and eggs on a nice
plate carried by the person i loved wearing a cute
christmas outfit and was also presented with
unasked for things like maybe my favorite beer
and clutch playing on the cd player
then that would be extraordinary.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 11, 2005, 05:16:17 am
I would think that buying gifts for Beef would be the easiest thing on Earth- whatever you get him, he will be amazed that you got it. CD's, DVD's, books, magazines- he's gonna love it. However, we did see how he reacted to the shirt she bought him.
I think I've finally figured out my family enough to actually get something for my dad that he might actually like/use: two hardcover (hard-cover is key for my dad) books by Joseph Ratzinger, a.k.a. Notorious P.O.P.E., one on  the Liturgy and one on unknown implications of the Cathecism. I'm sure these make my employee holds look a bit off at work, because there are two books by the Pope right next to the book and DVD of Naked Lunch (for my brother).
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 11, 2005, 07:23:53 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I would think that buying gifts for Beef would be the easiest thing on Earth- whatever you get him, he will be amazed that you got it.


That's a good point.  And if he doesn't like it, he'll feel too guilty to actually tell you.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 11, 2005, 07:42:46 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Notorious P.O.P.E.

All makin' gang signs while blessing shit. All hittin' the sacramental champagne. All weed in his giant hat.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Lister on December 11, 2005, 09:11:44 pm
Lowered popemobile with 22" spinners and hydraulics bangin', all custom grafix and metal flake...

SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Bozack on December 11, 2005, 10:28:15 pm
All pumping gregorian chant out of Rockford Fosgate speakers, bass turned all the way up. All pourin' the blood of Christ onto the ground for his homies. All wearing a robe with "Stop Snitchin'" written on the front.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 11, 2005, 11:17:15 pm
Have I mentioned lately how much I love you guys?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: misterqueue on December 12, 2005, 11:23:10 am
Pat used tit-headed as a derogatory term for being stupid; that says sssooooo much.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Doc on December 12, 2005, 01:49:13 pm
Tit-headed doesn't even begin to cover it.
4AM
(this is a reference to Greek Mythology)
An embroidered turtleneck.
Not to mention his personal rule for when he confronts Roger, concocted I can only imagine to 'even the score' in his head.

This is truly a culmination of all Pat has come to embody, Pat must die now for he has reached the end of his personal evolution, there is nowhere else for Pat to go.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: oball on December 12, 2005, 02:10:28 pm
Quote from: "Pat"
I vowed then and there that if I did not move more samples than Roger, I would quite simply tear his head off in the parking lot once evening came. Hands only. No mechanical advantage or levers. Step on his foot, cup the base of the skull, and pull up. My rule.


Holy crap that is awesome.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 12, 2005, 02:15:40 pm
Who wears sweat##### in public after grade school? Dammit Pat, have some dignity.

And it isn't murder-free because vegetables and fungi were alive too you ignorant bastard.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 12, 2005, 03:17:40 pm
I was starting to wonder how Pat was going to get himself arrested for this one, but bam, once again he impresses me. This may in fact be the Pat Apotheosis, after which no Pat content will ever compare.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Climalene on December 12, 2005, 11:01:18 pm
Can someone pull this off as a Halloween costume next year?  No shirt, sweat##### that say "Cheat" across the crotch and "Loaf!" across the rear, dumping Nalgenes full of water over your head, jogging in place...
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 13, 2005, 01:55:55 pm
So did I miss it, or did Teodor not list the baby as one of the things that wakes him up? How is this possible? Making noise and pissing people off is what babies do. It's their thing.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: yu-huang on December 13, 2005, 02:18:18 pm
*sigh*


I sure miss Pat in the strips lately; maybe you need a special setup for him to be a special asshole these days, I don't know, but I certainly could use some more Pat. C'mon, dude got a sandwich thrown at his pork-pie hat; wore a cape; shot everybody silly, etc. Pat has my undying love.

[/rant]
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: misterqueue on December 13, 2005, 02:21:55 pm
Dude, we've seen Pat twice in the last two months at least.

I mean.. the last time we saw Lyle as far as I can tell is way back on Aug 8th (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08082005).

In conclusion, more Lyle.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 13, 2005, 02:34:34 pm
Can we start a new thread for the blogs titled The Tower of Retard Babel?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 13, 2005, 03:43:49 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Can we start a new thread for the blogs titled The Tower of Retard Babel?

Hell, let's rename Wild Card.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 13, 2005, 04:49:33 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "wombat"
Can we start a new thread for the blogs titled The Tower of Retard Babel?

Hell, let's rename Wild Card.


Or the whole messageboard...
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Hobot on December 13, 2005, 05:11:27 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "wombat"
Can we start a new thread for the blogs titled The Tower of Retard Babel?

Hell, let's rename Wild Card.

Not a bad idea.  It might encourage me to post there (and, as we all know, that is in everyone's best interest).  Or, if we wanted to be dangerously clever, we could rename it The Tower of Retard Babble.

*PUN POWER!*
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: jough on December 13, 2005, 05:18:42 pm
<throws a yellow flag onto the field>
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 13, 2005, 06:33:59 pm
Quote
A yellow flag means that there is a hazard on the race track and that the drivers should slow down and stay behind the pace car. This flag typically is displayed when there has been an accident. However it can come out for other reasons such as, light rain, debris, an emergency vehicle needing to cross the track, a NASCAR tire check or even if an animal has wandered out onto the track.


Ooo, where's the animal?
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 13, 2005, 06:46:18 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote
A yellow flag means that there is a hazard on the race track and that the drivers should slow down and stay behind the pace car. This flag typically is displayed when there has been an accident. However it can come out for other reasons such as, light rain, debris, an emergency vehicle needing to cross the track, a NASCAR tire check or even if an animal has wandered out onto the track.


Ooo, where's the animal?


Um, I think he's throwing a Penalty Flag for Punning. That's a football reference, not a racing reference.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 13, 2005, 08:47:08 pm
Well DANG.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on December 13, 2005, 11:17:43 pm
Quote from: "misterqueue"
Dude, we've seen Pat twice in the last two months at least.

I mean.. the last time we saw Lyle as far as I can tell is way back on Aug 8th (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08082005).

In conclusion, more Lyle.


I'd like to see Lyle expound upon his conspiracy theories.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: miles on December 15, 2005, 05:52:19 am
Aww, poor Beef.  S.O.-S.A.D.'s a bitch, man.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on December 15, 2005, 06:35:06 am
I have one of those lights.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Golfhaus on December 15, 2005, 01:26:29 pm
Do they work? <hopeful>
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Mantonio on December 15, 2005, 01:28:29 pm
Boy, Ray sure seems really worried about the diabetes. So worried he has to put comfort food in his Starbucks.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: aparrish on December 15, 2005, 02:40:47 pm
Quote
Turns out T. Orezscu's quaff of choice is a doppio (two espresso shots), into which he shakes a half packet of raw sugar. No frills, just the straight stuff. Yesterday he downed it in one quick gulp before jumping on his skateboard and youthfully kicking away.

This is exactly what I drink.  Down to the half packet of raw sugar.  I don't have a skateboard, though.
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: robot_god on December 16, 2005, 04:26:28 am
Lyle is a good tipper???

?????
Title: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: V-Adore on December 16, 2005, 05:44:09 am
Quote from: "*****_god"
Lyle is a good tipper???

?????

Extravagantly drunk people often tend to be, although more from negligence than courtesy.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2005, 01:44:18 pm
Rod Mann's Nut Sampler.  heh.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2005, 02:17:31 pm
Dang old California people and their See's. So wacky.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: wombat on December 19, 2005, 02:33:26 pm
Oh dang I am going to have to buy my birthday chocolate from someplace else now.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: antioch on December 20, 2005, 06:55:25 am
Quote from: Onstad
MY POLICY ON PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW GETTING THINGS FOR ME OFF MY AMAZON WISH LIST:
Thanks!

Oh hee hee man hee hee hee!
Solid update but I am NOT looking forward to reading the end of NP's book.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 20, 2005, 07:47:36 am
Dang old California people and their See's. So wacky.

I had a brief stint working as an assistant manager at Fannie May candy store for four months until the company folded (its recipes, name, and some of its properties have been purchased and although the candy is made in a different factory, the stores have re-opened). People would come into the store and rag on other chocolate companies like crazy. "So, I went to europe and sampled all the finest chocolates there. They don't compare! Godiva is too waxy. Whitman's Sampler? Get serious." Some of the attitude I can chalk up to regional preference, but you know what? I ate that chocolate all day and never got tired of it. I would sometimes have cravings for it on my days off. I informed my friend on the west coast of Fannie May's supperiority and she said "Really? I always thought See's was the best." No, it is not. It is not the best. My dad's wife sends me See's candies every Christmas and Easter and it is not that good. Granted, the stuff she sells me is probably the type of stuff that they buy from other companies and slap their names on (Fannie May did that with peripheral stuff), but I have no problems passing judgment on their entire product line based on those candies.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 20, 2005, 06:43:42 pm
I had a brief stint working as an assistant manager at Fannie May candy store for four months

I've heard of Fanny Farmer chocolates...(If I had some land, I would be a "Fanny Farmer" HA-HAW!) but I've never heard of Fannie Mae outside the context of low-income housing lenders. The internet tells me there are Fanny May chocolates....weird.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 20, 2005, 07:26:24 pm
Well, it is Fannie May http://www.fanniemay.com/ which is a sister company of Fanny Farmer (first names spelled differently). Fannie May is the superior product line. Now I'm hungry... Freddie Mac has yet to make his foray into the chocolate industry, but maybe he should. Maybe he should.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Hobot on December 20, 2005, 08:13:02 pm
I've heard of Fanny Farmer chocolates...(If I had some land, I would be a "Fanny Farmer" HA-HAW!) but I've never heard of Fannie Mae outside the context of low-income housing lenders. The internet tells me there are Fanny May chocolates....weird.
The confusion stems from the fact that a small box of Fanny May candy is given to each new Fannie Mae tenant in anticipation of the tenants' soon-to-be-broken dreams.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Golfhaus on December 20, 2005, 10:32:44 pm
I dated a girl from CA that sent me some See's once as a gift. I don't remember a whole lot about it, except I didn't like it that much.

Give me fuck*ng Hershey's, man. I ain't proud.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: theinevitable on December 21, 2005, 03:57:36 am
so...
onstad is implying that we should send him presents?

Also: Strays? Why would you want strays? It's like if the Beatles got together, but it was really just... without the bassist who wrote most of their songs.

I guess that comparison wouldn't work for the Beatles, because the Beatle's bassist who wrote many of their songs is alive, whereas Lennon is dead. I don't know what his counterpart in Jane's Addiction is.

ANyway. what I'm saying is, Strays is not a great thing to listen to.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: AugustWest on December 21, 2005, 05:37:35 am
so...
onstad is implying that we should send him presents?

Also: Strays? Why would you want strays? It's like if the Beatles got together, but it was really just... without the bassist who wrote most of their songs.

I guess that comparison wouldn't work for the Beatles, because the Beatle's bassist who wrote many of their songs is alive, whereas Lennon is dead. I don't know what his counterpart in Jane's Addiction is.

ANyway. what I'm saying is, Strays is not a great thing to listen to.

Fuck you.  McCartney is a sellout fuck*ng hack.  He's about this far from dang ol' Johnny Cougar.  He'd do waterbed commercials on AM radio if there was more than 4 bucks in it for him.  Fuck that shit.
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: theinevitable on December 21, 2005, 05:10:47 pm
what?
what?

Why are you...
what did I....
ahh!
ahh!
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: evan on December 22, 2005, 10:40:15 am
So does Nice Pete's novel actually exist?
Title: Re: Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
Post by: Emergent_C on December 22, 2005, 03:34:03 pm
So does Nice Pete's novel actually exist?

And is it illustrated? I'm horrified by the idea that it is, yet I'd be more interested in it with, you know, pictures and stuff.