The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jough on December 18, 2005, 08:27:48 am

Title: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 18, 2005, 08:27:48 am
Hey kids,

I'm getting to know the new system just as you are.  Hopefully Simple Machines Forum here will work out better than phpBB once the dust settles.

Let me know if anything seems truly broken or if you have any questions.  Click the "help" icon above for some tips on how to do stuff.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: antioch on December 18, 2005, 09:15:39 am
 I keep clicking the TOUAMB logo to take me back to the main page, but it isn't linked. I can adapt. I mean, it's not too far from the "back" button on my browser, but I thought I'd bring this to your attention anyhow.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Lister on December 18, 2005, 10:25:33 am
So far the only thing I miss is some way to go to the next page of a topic instead of clicking on the page number, but that's like way overly internet nitpicky of me.  I like what I've seen of it a lot, and there seem to be many new shiny buttons to push.  I will push them now:

 :-* >:( ;D :D ;) :P
This internet web page is under construction!!!!!! LOL!
Button?
Button!

Buttons are fun.

Edit: Do I see my IP address because it's mine, or because everyone can see it?  I hope it's just me... :o

Edit again: Oh, hey, it explains it right there.  It's just me.  I am e-shamed. :-[
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2005, 01:12:17 pm
Ooooohhhhh....  This is just as traumatic as I thought it would be.

I miss the 'location' under the avatar pictures.  Any way to put that back?  Also, I think I lost an unread PM in the switch.

Oh!  And what happened to my title?  It's still on the messages that came from the old board but it's not showing on this one.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: andalucia on December 18, 2005, 03:04:35 pm
It's cold and I'm afraid.  A bunch of yellow faces are lined up in a row above what I am typing.  Some, their little faces are moving.  This will take quite a lot of adjustment.

Edit 1: Also, I am no longer Morrissey's Pompadour, but I have apparently earned some stars.

Edit 2:  Do we... do we really need that Karma feature?

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2005, 04:19:48 pm
Speaking as the oldest and most decrepit board member, I am finding the font much less comfortable to read than the old board.   Do we have any choices?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: slink on December 18, 2005, 04:30:11 pm
I'm vaguely scared, but I can adapt I'm sure.
Likewise I think I am anti-the karma feature, though it would be funny to see Jough amass all the bad karma over the next three weeks.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 18, 2005, 05:29:55 pm
I also found the logo not being linked confusing.

Are you still setting up mods? I'm not seeing things that I think I should be.

Does "glow" not show up right for anybody else in the help page?

What's with the stars/karma/smite? I didn't see anything in the help section.

Is it possible to reword quotes back to "Jough wrote"?

Can I permanently set "don't use :)s" like on the old board?

Do we still have ninja edit?

The "insert quote" buttons underneath the compose box are awesome.

Thank you for not using the nested folder style for the path at the top of each screen.

Any idea what the idle time is? Like if I just leave the board open in a background tab for an hour then refresh will it update the "since last visit" stuff? I know on the old board it was an hour for a while, then it was two.

Quote from: andalucia
Edit 1: Also, I am no longer Morrissey's Pompadour, but I have apparently earned some stars.

I think your title is only replace by "moderator" in fora that you are actually a mod. If you were to post in the main Achewood forum you'd still be all Morrissey'ed up.

edit: It's going to take me forever to get used to double-spacing after a quote.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Choop on December 18, 2005, 05:38:49 pm
Why are the threads backwards (newest->oldest)? Found it:  "Show most recent posts at the top" option in the profile.

Where's the something to click to take me to the first post in the thread that I haven't yet read?

I liked the keyboard-friendly formatting (alt+b for bold) in phpBB. Any way to get that back?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2005, 05:55:12 pm

Do we still have ninja edit?


We had Ninja Edit?  I have no idea what that is, but I want it back desperately.

Non-ninja edit:  Anyone else getting something weird with the formatiing here?  I'm getting my message smooshed into the end of Choop's when I load the whole page - it's fixed only if I click on my own message individually.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 18, 2005, 06:08:13 pm
Okay, lots of questions.

* I'm still trying to figure out everything here myself. 

* All of the styling is in CSS, so yes, I will probably make this board look more like the old one between now and Christmas. 

* I haven't even gotten started on the header templates yet, so yes, the logo will link back to the home page of the board, don't worry.

* I don't know about keyboard friendly formatting, but there are a number of "packages" (hacks/mods for this board) that are meant for phpBB migration.  I'll look into them later today.  I know you can hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview, and I think there are some others.  I'll have to check out the help.

* I liked the Karma idea, but it's easily turned off if people don't want to see it.

* Most of the new features, like the Calendar, Birthdays listed on the home page, and Karma and stuff, I turned on just to try out all of the new stuff.  I expect we'll find a lot of it useless and can get rid of it later.

* For some reason this board handles user ranks that aren't tied to post counts as user groups.  It's a little maddening.

So some people have titles/groups and others don't.  It'll list every title/group that you have under your name.  I'll be slowly and manually re-adding people's custom titles to their profiles soon.

OR

There's an option to let people choose their custom title in their profile.  Is this something we want people changing at will?

* The "new" icon in the thread sections will take you to the posts you haven't read yet.  I don't know how long it leaves things unread, and can't seem to find any options here regarding this.

* I'm still figuring out user groups, and am not sure how this board handles mods and such.  As far as I know, it should work.  But it's all tied to the user groups and there are a LOT of permissions that can be set for each group, including the mods group.  Like, 100 different things that admins can let mods or users do in each forum and stuff.  I like the added controls but maybe the defaults are a little too restrictive.  I mean, is there ever a reason to NOT let someone edit their own posts?  Or not edit them after XX number of minutes?

* I could probably re-word any board messages by editing the english language file.  No problem there.  I like "___ wrote" better than "Posted by: ____" too.

* The stars I don't really get - it's supposed to be tied to rank more than the title is.  I didn't see a way to turn them off completely, but I think I can apply zero stars to everyone at once if I needed to turn them off (the admin section is AMAZING).

* I think you can turn off smilies in your profile.

* I don't know what "ninja edit" means.

* The nested folder thing was an option and I immediately hated it.  I almost reverted back to the old board before I found a way to do in-line links there.

* Editing the footer was a real chore as it was stuck/hidden in some PHP file for the source code of the board, and not part of the template.  I know they want people to keep the copyright notice, but shit, don't they think people may want/need to add their own stuff in the footer?

* Idle time right now is an hour.  You'll have to let me know if it resets read posts on you or not.  I can pretty much make idle time up to 999 minutes, but that messes with the "Who's Online" option.

* Do we like or dislike the showing of who's online on the bottom of the forum home page?

* Does the spell check work?

* Do we like smilies?  I do, but I can actually turn them off completely if we need/want to.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 18, 2005, 06:50:08 pm
Can you explain what the karma is? I'm guessing that more=better and that people with high karma can do things that might otherwise seem giraffey (like posting several messages within a few minutes)

"ninja edit" means that if you edit your own post before somebody replies to it and before X minutes have passed that the "last edited" flag won't appear. Mainly useful for when you hit post and realize you messed up some formatting or spelled Teodor wrong or something.

I just don't get the system with the stars. Why are mine the same as slink's when I'm closer to Jough in post-count. I'm not saying that they're bad I just don't get it. Or are they connected to applaud/smite?

Also: *****s with no ##### fuck*ng
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 18, 2005, 07:02:04 pm
Well, I can't tell if SMF allows for ninja edits or not, but this mobile version of the board ROCKS.

I posted this from my CELL PHONE, bitches!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2005, 07:37:29 pm
The edit function does seem to work that way.  I quickly edited a typo in my second message above and it doesn't have any 'edited' comments added to it.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: slink on December 18, 2005, 08:26:14 pm
How was the migration by the way?
I am about to move a phpbb board over to a new host, and have been having the odd niggle with it (it's a forum that currently isn't getting nearly the traffic this one is, but may be at some point) but might make the switch to something that sounds very css based. I love css, and if everything I am working with and used to can be themed with css I am one happy bunny.

Also, might want to do something about avatar size. It got quite strict, which was probably a good thing, but I would have to redo yet another better compressed version of mine...
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 18, 2005, 08:39:18 pm
I *heart* quick reply.

Okay, avatars will now automatically resize if you upload or link to another off-board site (it actually will recopy the avatar to this server and resize it.

Size is 150x150 max, which is larger than I had it set on the old board.

Other than the differences with user groups and custom ranks, and some permissions troubles (mods can't post in any forum but those they moderate?  can't figure that one out yet) the migration was amazingly good.

All threads, posts, PMs, sigs, and most other user settings (including timezone offset and other things) transferred perfectly.  I was actually really surprised how well it worked.  I expected to spend the day today moving posts and threads - now I can concentrate on fixing some glitches, getting titles set up right, and working on the board layout and style.

If you uploaded or set your avatar prior to, um, now, you may want to re-load it so it comes over with the new settings.  Keep it to 150x150px and it shouldn't resize it at all.

At least, my avatar worked properly the first time.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Ben-San on December 18, 2005, 08:43:50 pm
Unfortunately, it still seems to be adding a scroll bar even though this avatar uploaded fine. Is this intended function?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2005, 09:07:08 pm
I can't get it to upload my avatar, I keep getting an error message.  It will link to it but it does not seem to be automatically copying it - at least I assume this from the fact that when I left-click and get Properties I still see my original URL.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: slink on December 18, 2005, 09:35:10 pm
Unfortunately, it still seems to be adding a scroll bar even though this avatar uploaded fine. Is this intended function?

That's down to your resolution/window size. Mine doesn't do it unless I pull the window width in. Can be fixed by changing the css behaviour to not scroll assuming (hoping) it's css-ability is that good.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 18, 2005, 09:50:49 pm
(mods can't post in any forum but those they moderate?  can't figure that one out yet)

You appear to have fixed that one.

Also, my avatar loaded fine and works fine.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 18, 2005, 09:54:37 pm
I'll take a look at the stylesheet later, but hopefully it's just a matter of the whitespace preservation.  I'd rather control avatar sizes on add/upload.  After that, we don't really need to have a scroll bar if it goes over some predetermined size in the CSS.

The board will only recopy the avatar if it is larger than 125x150 (had to reduce the width to 125 so as not to screw things up on the sidebar).

The avatar size on the old board was 100x100, so still this is larger.

Anyone with a funky avatar I'll be correcting manually since there aren't many.

Also, I believe I've solved the user group/moderator problem, and all mods are now global board mods now in addition to mods of a particular forum.  That way mod power extends to all fora, but you're not *responsible* for modding anything but your own forum.

I figure I can trust any mods here to use their power only for good.  Moderating hasn't really been a problem so far.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 18, 2005, 10:11:48 pm

I figure I can trust any mods here to use their power only for good. 

MMWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

I am now blissfully FREE to implement my sinister TOUAMB moderating scheme!  Today the Board, Tomorrow the WORLD!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 18, 2005, 10:31:39 pm
Unfortunately, it still seems to be adding a scroll bar even though this avatar uploaded fine. Is this intended function?

Yeah, the "overflow: hidden" was fuck*ng hard-coded into the php rather than being accessible via the stylesheet.

I have to say that so far I'm not impressed with the FUBARed template system for this thing.  Ugh.  The code is a mess.

It is fairly well commented, though.

I'll have to do a lot of sorting through this stuff over the next few days.  Thankfully most of what I want to change is affected by global templates, rather than having to change 40 different ones (okay, there are only 31 template files, but still).
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2005, 10:40:21 pm
This is gonna take a while.  I like having many many features.  Even if they only get used infrequently.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: miles on December 19, 2005, 02:19:52 am
Some things will take some time getting used to, I think, but so far I really like it.  I'll probably never push most of those buttons, but, for example, I like how it tells us in which thread the most recent post was made.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 02:28:17 am
A couple of things I've noticed so far:

How does it indicate topics with new posts in the individual forum? Am I just too dumb to notice this?

Also, it seems like it's marking all posts in a forum as read just by looking at the main forum menu, not actually by clicking/reading. Has anyone else had this problem?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 19, 2005, 03:43:46 am
V-

At the level of the board, I think new topics/posts in a forum are indicated by the big blue icons to the left. They grey out when there are no new topics or posts.

At the level of the forum, there is a new tag and also if there is a post within a certain time frame there seems to be a bolded "today" or "yesterday" along with the date/time stamp. I used this to indicate what I should read and just clicked 'mark all read' today since everything is new.

I don't know if this is even your question or not.

Here's a question from me, though: is the 'total time logged on' going to measure how much time I've spent on the board forever? That seems a little odd unless it wants you to mock yourself for how much of your life you waste here.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2005, 03:44:50 am
There's a little blue bubble with the word "new" next to the topic name if there's new posts. If you visit a forum with multiple new topics then leave the icon on the main page changes, but if you go into the forum the little new bubbles are still there for the topics that you missed.

I don't seem to have any actual mod powers other than a Sticky button in each thread. Is this just me?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 19, 2005, 03:48:22 am
Yeah, me either. Global Moderator seems to be a title without any special abilities.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 07:56:12 am
Okay, okay, I'll see what the hell is up with the moderator group.

Dang, this thing has more of a learning curve than I'd hoped.

Also, a couple people have PMed me saying they can't post.  I'm not sure why that is, since they don't have anything special about their accounts.  But I'll have to look into that too.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 19, 2005, 10:01:24 am
I like the karma points. Why? I can find things out like everybody likes wombat. It's a club I never knew existed that everyone belongs to.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2005, 02:20:35 pm
Man. This has caused a drastic flare-up of my chronic not-noticing-there's-another-page-in-the-thread-itis.

I've noticed some of Jough's more entertaining tweaks since yesterday. Like the Quick Reply box and the "time wasted" meter.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 19, 2005, 02:28:38 pm
I like the karma points. Why? I can find things out like everybody likes wombat. It's a club I never knew existed that everyone belongs to.

Whoa.  It's sure a club that I never knew existed either.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 19, 2005, 05:47:18 pm
I like the groovy little changes in the Karma points and the time online meter. And the newsbox is an interesting feature too.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 05:49:00 pm
I remembered how we often like to give each other "points" for cool posts, so I thought the Karma feature could be used for that.  The board lets you rename the name of the Karma thing, as well as what to call the +1 and -1 links.

At first I went with "Hit Points" and thought maybe an AD&D (2nd ed.) reference would be in order, but then I remembered how everyone was delighted by Bozack's bestowing of tiny cans of Dr Pepper, so I figured that would be perfect.

Doesn't it make the Karma feature way more fun?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2005, 06:00:39 pm
Hmm. I appear to no longer be LAZARUS.

But I'm totally digging how smart the "new post" feature is on this board.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2005, 06:08:46 pm
I wish that when I look at the main page with all of the fora listed that it didn't go gray until I had looked at all the different topics that had been posted in.  That's a subtraction from the previous board software.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 19, 2005, 06:14:45 pm
But Paul - now you have a new tag on every thread inside the fora! That's way better than the old board.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2005, 06:21:21 pm
Doesn't it make the Karma feature way more fun?

I guess it does if people love you...
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2005, 06:26:56 pm
But Paul - now you have a new tag on every thread inside the fora! That's way better than the old board.
Yes I agree.  However, say for instance I'll click on the wildcard fora and there are 5 threads with new posts.  Only 2 of them are of great interest to me so I read them.  Then I move to another fora and so on.  Once that's done I want to go back to the main page and see which fora still have unread threads.  Like a reminder, oh I missed 3 in the Wildcard section.

PS- Spell check, Yay!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 07:35:14 pm
I guess it does if people love you...

I took away a can of Dr Pepper for that comment, Mr. West.

See how it works?  Isnt' it fun?

Oh, also, Ninja Edit is called "courtesy edit" here and I can set the wait time in minutes.  In other words, the time they give you between when you post your message and the time that editing it will result in a "Last edited..." message.

I set it to 180 seconds, which is three minutes.  That sound right?  The default was 60 seconds.

Also, I'm LOVING that nothing gets marked as read without my actually loading it (I guess the board can never tell if you actually READ something, but this is as good as it'll get).

I agree with Paul that it should not mark the main page as having a forum "read" if there are ANY posts in it you haven't either read or explicitly marked as read.  I will be collecting things like this to send as a feature request (or bug fix request) to the makers of SMF.

Also, I've had too much fun with the news box.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 08:04:50 pm
Ah, excellent. As long as the "forum marked entirely as read while there are still new posts in it" thing is fixed, I'll be perfectly happy.

Of course, now I'm paranoid about having so few little cans of Dr. Pepper. Where did I go wrong?! How unloved am I? Oh, woe is the internet!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 08:05:59 pm
It's because you don't have an avatar.  I tend to identify people more with their avatars than I do their user names.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 08:12:43 pm
It's because you don't have an avatar.  I tend to identify people more with their avatars than I do their user names.
Yes, I realize this. I am trying to figure out where my saved googly eye is so I can re-upload it. No luck so far, alas...
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 08:24:58 pm
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/avatars/1901933278421e1033be6f3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D585&h=80&w=69&sz=2&tbnid=hBvZu3R-5WrPtM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=60&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DV-Adore%2Bachewood%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 09:16:33 pm
(long ol' image URL)
Thank you, Jough; you're a gentleman and a scholar.

More importantly, you get a little can of Dr. Pepper.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: slink on December 19, 2005, 10:13:44 pm
You know. I really don't like Dr. Pepper. So, like, I'm going to try and notch up the unlikableness.
Fuckers.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 10:15:44 pm
You know. I really don't like Dr. Pepper. So, like, I'm going to try and notch up the unlikableness.
Fuckers.

Well... it's funny, and it's both a board reference and a blogs reference, so I'm in favor of it. Do you have a better recommendation for a name for Karma?

Anyway, upon actively posting some more, I find most of my worries evaporating. Now that I know how new stuff is marked (read: "now that I'm not dumb anymore"), this is really a nice board. It's heavily feature-laden without it seeming at all weird.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 10:23:32 pm
Yeah, I think I'm getting more comfortable with it.  I still don't like the fonts and some of the colours (like the quotes box) but these things are all fixable as soon as I have more time to look over the many CSS files to style this bitch.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 19, 2005, 10:25:06 pm
I'm really doing OK now that I've realized the 'previous/next' links at the bottom right hand don't go to pages of the same thread I'm reading.  There was a little wandering around lost and weeping there for a while but now I'm fine, really, thanks.

I love the little cans of Dr. Pepper and the news box.  Jough is a comic genius.  Eek, I am obviously drunk on the holiday sprit or something.  Split on red and green.

I still don't like the typeface, er, font, though.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2005, 10:25:24 pm
Well... it's funny, and it's both a board reference and a blogs reference, so I'm in favor of it. Do you have a better recommendation for a name for Karma?

I believe arkabee points (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1832.msg37556.html#msg37556) has been suggested.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 19, 2005, 10:27:22 pm
One more thing I'd love to fix would be links to previous posts in older threads/posts.

In other words, links from the old board URLs to the newly transformed ones, but I don't know how technically to do such a thing, so I probably won't.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 10:31:51 pm
A different color scheme would be nice. I don't mind the blueness, but the purple quote boxes are a little obnoxious.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 19, 2005, 10:33:36 pm
Hey, now some people have stuff under their pictures where the 'location' was on the old board.  Why not everyone?  Do we have to do something?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 19, 2005, 10:42:46 pm
Hey, now some people have stuff under their pictures where the 'location' was on the old board.  Why not everyone?  Do we have to do something?

There should be a "Text" box under the avatar section when you edit your profile. You can pretty much type anything there, but AFAIK you have to type it for yourself.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Lister on December 19, 2005, 10:44:24 pm
I'm liking it even more as I get used to it.  I'm nearly always a "new features = better" guy, though, so it's pretty much easy to distract me with new shiny buttons.

Also, if anyone is icon-less, you can have a look at my collection of weirdness (http://www.intemporality.com/images/avatars/) for one.  Some are too big to be good icons, but yeah.  Since I'm too lazy to set up a board of my own, I might as well let someone use 'em.

Hey, now some people have stuff under their pictures where the 'location' was on the old board.  Why not everyone?  Do we have to do something?

It's a little editable field in your profile.  I didn't notice it the first time either.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2005, 11:16:15 pm
OK, that scroll box for long links is freaking awesome. I hate it when one person's long link/wide image ruins an entire page in the thread.

Also, not to whine or anything but now that I'm LAZARUS again I'm no longer a mod.

Are these updates useful to you or am I posting stuff that you're already aware of and are working on?

I've been trying to think of something clever to append to my image since yesterday. But I thought it only appeared as alt-text. This way is much niftier.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2005, 11:23:40 pm
I believe arkabee points (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1832.msg37556.html#msg37556) has been suggested.

Hey, where is ark anyway?  Has he posted since the move?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 19, 2005, 11:32:33 pm
I now have mod powers in my designated fora which is nice. But my rank shows up twice, and I don't know which one i need to edit.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 20, 2005, 01:14:09 am
There should be a "Text" box under the avatar section when you edit your profile.


Aaaaahhhhhhhh.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 20, 2005, 03:11:52 am
I now have mod powers in my designated fora which is nice. But my rank shows up twice, and I don't know which one i need to edit.

The rank based on post count shows up automatically. You don't need to type it into your custom rank title area in your profile.

Now I'm wondering, though - can everyone change their custom ranks themselves?

I may at some point in the wee small hours just remove everyone's permissions to EVERYTHING and start anew.  This is ridiculous.

Maybe V-Adore can make sense of it.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 20, 2005, 03:53:28 am
I seem to have lost the ability to give myself a custom rank/title.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 20, 2005, 07:00:29 am
As it should be.  No one but the admins should be able to set custom rank/titles.

Jesus said something about this once, but my bible is all the way across the room.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 20, 2005, 07:35:00 am
You know. I really don't like Dr. Pepper. So, like, I'm going to try and notch up the unlikableness.
Fuckers.

Since you said this, I've been awarding you negative Dr. Peppers in order to increase your happiness.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 20, 2005, 06:49:19 pm
As it should be.  No one but the admins should be able to set custom rank/titles.

Jesus said something about this once, but my bible is all the way across the room.

Go over to the couch, wake Jesus up and tell him to get my access to the mod forum back already.

Thanks.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 20, 2005, 07:21:40 pm
There's still a moderator's forum?  I don't see it either.

Off your ass, Jesus.  You expect these posts to type themselves?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 20, 2005, 07:21:50 pm
Can you still not get there?

Can any mods see the mod-only forum?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 20, 2005, 08:39:32 pm
Thanks Jesus!

For everything! 

Oh, and Happy Birthday, too!

Oh, and not to be a Bitchy-Bitch Bitch Bitch about it, but can I have my Sanryobuki Artificial Liver AND Mod Squad appelations at the same time?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Bozack on December 20, 2005, 08:53:04 pm
I feel bad that I didn't send another private message, and then I figured that I should say this out in the open-
THANK YOU JOUGH!
Thanks for the new spiffy board, and thanks for all of the troubleshooting work you put in. Truly, your cans of Dr. Pepper shall increase A THOUSAND- FOLD!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 20, 2005, 09:11:05 pm
I dunno if Jough will ever catch up to Wombat in terms of Dr Pepper ownership.

Although he does get one for properly leaving the period out of "Tiny cans of Dr Pepper"
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 20, 2005, 09:17:47 pm
I was not aware of the lack of period in Dr Pepper until I read your post on this board.

Since we're all about EDUCATION here.

However, now that I think about it, wasn't Bozack giving out "little" rather than "tiny" cans of Dr Pepper?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 20, 2005, 09:31:52 pm
(http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/tinydrpepper.JPG)
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on December 20, 2005, 09:48:00 pm
Oh gosh aren't they adorable!?!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 21, 2005, 02:11:45 am
I believe they are technically "little" cans of Dr Pepper but are significantly more adorable as "tiny" cans of Dr Pepper. In any event, they already appear to have revolutionized the TOUAMB "lifestyle," as it were.

I can't decide which is more pretentious: putting "lifestyle" in quotes or referring to a message board as having a lifestyle.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 21, 2005, 02:22:12 am
I believe they are technically "little" cans of Dr Pepper but are significantly more adorable as "tiny" cans of Dr Pepper. In any event, they already appear to have revolutionized the TOUAMB "lifestyle," as it were.

I can't decide which is more pretentious: putting "lifestyle" in quotes or referring to a message board as having a lifestyle.

I think the former is more pretentious.  The latter is just sad.  sigh.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 21, 2005, 04:49:45 am
Really?  It should take you to the PayPal site.

Anyway, much obliged.  You can always use PayPal (without the link even) to send some funds to donations@plagiarist.com

I'm just saying.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Choop on December 21, 2005, 05:10:56 am
Is the event calendar link in that one news box item meant to link to the calendar button? Because it does.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on December 21, 2005, 06:09:54 am
I was going to actually put the button in the news item as an example, but the image didn't work in there, so I just made it a URL.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: arkabee on February 01, 2006, 09:23:57 pm
what do the dr peppers do,
if i accrue 100 of them do i get more buttons to press whilst making a post?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2006, 09:41:15 pm
If you get 100 dr pepper cans it means you are awesome.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on February 01, 2006, 10:19:31 pm
I have always believed that when you get 100 cans, everything in your life will fall into place.  Members of the opposite sex will throw themselves at your feet as you walk down the street, but you will have to decline politely because you already have the perfect, adoring, rich, totally hot mate.  You will have a job that makes you want to leap out of bed in the morning and pays you wealth beyond your wildest dreams.  In your spare time you will write a book that everyone wants to read and you will compose a song that actually makes people happy when it does that thing where it gets stuck in their head.  Everywhere you go, the sun will shine and the birds will sing and gentle warm breezes will caress your stunningly attractive countenance, and you will never have a bad hair day.

Oh, wait a minute....
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 01, 2006, 10:24:56 pm
That was disturbingly masturbatory. I think we should avoid the topic of the cans for awhile.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on February 01, 2006, 10:50:56 pm
Seriously, I think half the new posts are mentioning giving or demeriting cans.

Just let the cans take care of themselves, people, and the good lord will provide.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Lister on February 02, 2006, 03:00:19 am
Seriously, I think half the new posts are mentioning giving or demeriting cans.

Just let the cans take care of themselves, people, and the good lord will provide.

A tiny, completely unironic can for you, sir!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 03, 2006, 02:43:56 am
masturbatory

I got an e-mail yesterday from "Masturbate V. Keck."
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on February 03, 2006, 02:48:05 am
I got an e-mail yesterday from "Masturbate V. Keck."

If you can masturbate with this (http://www.keckobservatory.org/), then hats off to ya'.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2006, 02:57:33 am
If you can masturbate with this (http://www.keckobservatory.org/), then hats off to ya'.

I'd hit that
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 10:03:39 pm
Make the avatar changes non retroactive.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 14, 2006, 05:38:52 pm
The top of the screen is missing a bunch of stuff lately.  I have the TOUAMB graphic, and the Home - Help - Search - Profile - Calendar - Logout buttons.  However, the other stuff from the header ("View unread replied to your posts," "View new posts since your last visit," the box with the item about Vic Tayback or Abe Vigoda or something, etc.) ain't there.  Is it just me?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: acoxcae on April 14, 2006, 05:44:22 pm
Yup, it's just you.  Did you make a custom CSS or something like that? (Have you tried shift-reload or ctrl-reload, depending on your browser?)
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2006, 05:49:47 pm
The top of the screen is missing a bunch of stuff lately.  I have the TOUAMB graphic, and the Home - Help - Search - Profile - Calendar - Logout buttons.  However, the other stuff from the header ("View unread replied to your posts," "View new posts since your last visit," the box with the item about Vic Tayback or Abe Vigoda or something, etc.) ain't there.  Is it just me?

I've got all of that.  I'm starting to use the "View new posts since your last visit" feature.  Like I found your post in that way.  So it's just you.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 14, 2006, 05:55:51 pm
Reloading in any fashion doesn't help.  I am running boring ol' IE 6.0.

Interestingly, when I view the source, that stuff is there.  Must be missing a closing tag somewhere.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 14, 2006, 05:57:00 pm
Oh snap!  I'm stupid. 

To the left of the Home button, there's a little arrow button.  That makes all the crap I've been talking about go away.  Click it again, it comes back.  I must have inadvertantly clicked it at some point.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Mite on April 14, 2006, 06:24:01 pm
At first I thought you'd hit that button, but for me that doesn't make everything up there disappear, just the "show unread posts", news box and stats part. Everything goes away when you click it?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: acoxcae on April 14, 2006, 06:27:53 pm
Wow, they should make that button more noticeable - hooray for hidden advanced functionality!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 09:20:54 pm
It doesn't make the page load any faster, as it just hides it with javascript after downloading everything, but yeah, it reduces clutter.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 26, 2006, 10:05:55 pm
I popped into the who's online and where page and paused at this line:

User Handle We'd All Recognize  02:19:46 PM Unknown Action

Now I know that has a simple explanation but I like the idea of perpetrating Unknown Actions. The only thing funnier would have been to see Unspeakable Action.

It's actually (from what I've noticed) when someone is giving or taking away a tiny can.  There are a few other times I've seen it pop up.  My favorite message is when someone does something administrator-y.. it says "Nothing or nothing you can see!"
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Drygioni on April 26, 2006, 10:15:03 pm
The one thing I've noticed is that there is almost always someone checking out your profile, Q. They are always a Guest.

That is wrong. People don't stalk* Q, Q stalks you!

*Alright, it's basically baby stalking but hey, it rhymes.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 26, 2006, 10:47:18 pm
Ash, it's not healthy.  Take it from me.


Judy, the number of guests that look at my profile scares the living bejeezus out of me... and lately I haven't even been posting all that much either... before I thought it was that.  CONFOUNDING!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Hobot on April 26, 2006, 10:49:03 pm
All going Ahab obsessive on it and stuff.

It stole your leg, and you want revenge.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 26, 2006, 10:52:34 pm
See?  GODDAMMIT THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!

They are totally the tell-tale heart.

All me having tea with detectives.
All sweaty palms.
All hearing thud thud thud every time a guest views my profile.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Drygioni on April 26, 2006, 11:01:33 pm
They can smell fear, Q. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/Werewatchingyou.jpg) They're homing in for the kill.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on April 26, 2006, 11:21:37 pm
Yarr, bless ye Cort laddie...

So I can come out of hiding now? I've been using my Mod Powers just so you could see this message. I hope nobody ever wanted to go back and read the original Giraffe Placenta thread.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 26, 2006, 11:35:57 pm
They can smell fear, Q. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/Werewatchingyou.jpg) They're homing in for the kill.

GODDAMMIT!

I need to get me the good parts of celebrity now... like... booty.. and drugs?

Booty drugs?

hell I don't know.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2006, 12:20:39 am
I don't know if you've considered this Q, but maybe it's the same person checking your profile.  Always the same person checking your profile on a daily basis.  All they do is come to TOUAMB and check your profile.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 27, 2006, 12:28:37 am
Despite the strange obsession that would imply I suspect one person doing it would not show up several times as their status would update (via IP address) every time they did something.

Besides, I find it much more creepy that there's a herd of unknown acolytes out there all devoted to watching my profile like fuck*ng hawks.

I just know when I get back home there's going to be a little present from them on the door step.

All wrapped up in bows
All leaking viscous red fluid
All crayon drawn heart on the top
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2006, 12:35:56 am
Just one person.  Watching.  Always Watching.  And waiting.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 27, 2006, 12:54:23 am
(http://www.misterqueue.com/talked.gif)
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 27, 2006, 12:56:00 am
Despite the strange obsession that would imply I suspect one person doing it would not show up several times as their status would update (via IP address) every time they did something.

Besides, I find it much more creepy that there's a herd of unknown acolytes out there all devoted to watching my profile like fuck*ng hawks.

I just know when I get back home there's going to be a little present from them on the door step.

All wrapped up in bows
All leaking viscous red fluid
All crayon drawn heart on the top

Do you realize the POWER this could bring?  Your Q armies could sweep across the land in a massive Jihad, purifying the land and bringing the kingdom to last a trillion years.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 27, 2006, 12:58:49 am
Been there, done that.  Some schmuck suddenly asks why Julio got the purple lapels and he didn't, then comes in the in fighting and I have to kill another minion to make an example of them.

I think I'll do the world domination thing the old fashioned way... WITH FRICKIN' LASERS





Edit: Fixed that per AD's wishes.  Good job, that.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 27, 2006, 01:00:59 am
Properly, that's "Frickin' Lasers".
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on April 27, 2006, 01:33:14 am
Q, it's because you've wasted more of your life on here than anyone else.  People click through to your profile primarily from the stats page.  So the only solution is to... spend less time here.

Someone had to say it.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 27, 2006, 01:34:09 am
Yeah well.. we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

I was unaware that's how they got there.  Why are they going to the stats page?

This brings up more questions than it answers.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2006, 01:53:38 am
hm.

The thing is... how long would he have to stay away?

the only solution is for me to start reading all the archives, and replace him.

YOU KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME, Q!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2006, 01:55:19 am
Yeah well.. we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

I was unaware that's how they got there.  Why are they going to the stats page?

This brings up more questions than it answers.

I check the stats page to see which topics are most popular and where I stand in terms of post-count. But that's just me.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 27, 2006, 01:56:20 am
See that makes sense.  (in a weirdly obsessive-compulsive self-interested sort of way)  These are people without logins even. 
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2006, 04:59:30 am
..in a weirdly obsessive-compulsive self-interested sort of way

You mean, like the way you are every live-long-day?

(and the central reason that we love you?)
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on April 27, 2006, 01:15:07 pm
You mean, like the way you are every live-long-day?

(and the central reason that we love you?)

Daaamn.. bust on Cort a little bit and smells comes out swinging.


I AM SORRY CORT I WAS ONLY TOYING WITH YOU, PLEASE CALL OFF THE SMELLS DOGS!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: arkabee on April 28, 2006, 04:04:30 pm
has anyone developed some sort of interpretive, middle man software that allows a usenet client to access and use web-boards?

god damn would that be cool.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2006, 04:06:40 pm
Sounds like a job for, uh, you.

Also, Hey Ark!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Drygioni on May 15, 2006, 06:52:01 pm
Not sure if this is technically a technical question, but is it just a glitch that users who haven't posted in ages or have supposedly 'left' occasionally get a very very recent 'last active on' thingy? Andalucia (for example) last posted ages ago but was apparently last online a scant three days ago. Maybe she is on the forums I can't see, or is a hidden member.

Just curious on how the whole thing works. I am still new to messageboards.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on May 15, 2006, 06:57:02 pm
Actually I saw her online a few days ago and was surprised.  She did not post but just browsed the mainpage according to the "Who's Online" link.

HTH
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on May 15, 2006, 08:08:38 pm
Yeah, getting rid of the riff-raff does nothing to the still extant members.

It looks like 'lucia was here just a few days ago.

Hi andalucia!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2006, 04:51:17 pm
Hey, a new header! It's all ... linky and shit.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on June 09, 2006, 05:15:20 pm
Yeah, I'm trying to resist the urge to make little image buttons for each of those things.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 05:49:10 pm
Yeah, I'm trying to resist the urge to make little image buttons for each of those things.


Oh yes yes!  Image buttons! Image buttons!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on June 09, 2006, 08:37:48 pm
Images are better than text to you, wombbie?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 09:10:07 pm
Pictures with text in them!  Isn't that our favorite thing?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: mrdna1 on June 22, 2006, 11:39:35 pm
Is there any way I can change my username with minimal effort besides starting a new account?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Drygioni on June 22, 2006, 11:50:08 pm
Is there any way I can change my username with minimal effort besides starting a new account?

For obvious reasons I too would like to know this.

I think a $20 or so donation to the tip jar will enable Jough to afford that fancy new program that changes yer name for ya.

Nudge, nudge.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 23, 2006, 12:16:06 am
That is bullshit.  I, for one, am not going to let you get away with your sweet exchange rate jazz.

20 pounds.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on June 23, 2006, 12:42:22 am
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the answer is "slide a few in the tip jar and see what jough can do." Show some love to our forum host, eh?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: mrdna1 on June 23, 2006, 01:02:21 am
For obvious reasons I too would like to know this.

I think a $20 or so donation to the tip jar will enable Jough to afford that fancy new program that changes yer name for ya.

Nudge, nudge.

Dude, be proud of a B+S username. At least you didn't pick something vague and silly because you didn't expect to post here.

edit: looks like I'll have to dig out my Paypal info ...
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on June 23, 2006, 02:18:21 am
What are going to change it to?  Mrdna2?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on June 23, 2006, 02:21:16 am
Bozack had his name changed for a small fee.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: misterqueue on June 23, 2006, 02:22:35 am
Clearly there can be only one... Mister.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Hobot on June 23, 2006, 02:47:58 am
What are going to change it to?  Mrdna2?

Nothing with hobos or r-o-b-o-t-s, please.  There are quite enough of us as it is.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on June 23, 2006, 03:55:47 am
Some names are off-limits, like anything with "onstad" or "obot" now. 

Otherwise... as the folks said above.  Buy me something pretty and I'll do what I can for you. ;)
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on June 23, 2006, 05:18:40 am
you'll still be Judy to me.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on June 23, 2006, 06:10:57 am
OK, I would just like to point this out.
I was reading old threads because I aspire to be a better poster. And I fell upon this gem.

Quote from: arkabeeee
i wish the internet had a standarized points distribution system such that points could be awarded (or in recent "other threadedness" dee dacht ahd) for posts / to posters that make me smile and or otherwise make my day, life, world i live in a much better place.

given there is none (and if someone is saying "paypal" well, "la la la i can't hear you"), Mr. Carlos "The Mayor" Delvaca, i am awarding you 10 "arkabee points".

don't squander them needlessly.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on June 23, 2006, 11:40:24 am
And then ark promptly complained about the tiny cans upon his return.

THERE IS NO PLEASING YOU PEOPLE
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 23, 2006, 05:02:29 pm
I still have 7 or 8 arkabee points in my desk drawer, right here.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2006, 05:36:43 pm
i still don't know what all the fuck*ng buttons do.

and, jough, i wasn't complaining about the dr. pepper cans so much as breathing.

it's not my fault that every time i breath, a bitch escapes my lips.
and hey, an angel gets its wings, too.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on September 28, 2006, 06:05:16 pm
I prefer arkabee points to tiny cans of Dr Pepper, but I don't know if you're here enough these days to warrant being the sole meter of points.

Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2006, 07:31:57 pm
Wow, Ark and JL and on the same day no less.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Drygioni on September 28, 2006, 07:50:22 pm
Wow, Ark and JL and on the same day no less.

This happened similarly recently-ish, with Slink and Bozack of all people. (But Bozack's kind of vanished once more)
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: linnea on July 30, 2007, 05:38:02 am
I have a question that has been borne of sheer, unadulterated laziness. After all, is that not the true mother of invention?

I don't know how you party people do it, but I always visit http://touamb.com/index.php?action=unread to see what's new. Then I go through and right-click each "last post" icon to open each thread in a new Firefox tab. Is there some way to make this easier?

I realize that this makes me sound like the laziest fug in the world. But I was just hoping that there was some way to make it easier. Like if something has an RSS Feed, that you can bookmark it in Firefox and then "open all in tabs". Is there such a thing for this board, my favorite place on the internets?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on July 30, 2007, 05:49:10 am
if that existed...

wow. what a day.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on July 31, 2007, 01:59:00 am
Let me see what I can do for you on that tip, because that would probably mean that I'd read more threads too...
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: linnea on July 31, 2007, 03:36:43 am
Let me see what I can do for you on that tip, because that would probably mean that I'd read more threads too...

*mwah*
Thank you, dahlink.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Nabubrush on July 31, 2007, 05:03:35 pm
Can you make everyone's avatar randomly rotate through naked pictures of beautiful people?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jay-ell on July 31, 2007, 09:14:18 pm
Can you make everyone's avatar randomly rotate through naked pictures of beautiful people?

Wouldn't everyone else get tired at looking at you and me, though, Nabu? 
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Nabubrush on July 31, 2007, 09:28:44 pm
Wouldn't everyone else get tired at looking at you and me, though, Nabu? 

Good call, JL. You're always thinking of the little people; that's why I love you.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2007, 08:57:04 pm
OK, whoever unbroke this sucker, thanks.

I think only Jough can do that. It has been down occasionally lately. Are we being attacked?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on September 27, 2007, 03:19:10 am
Cort, yeah, DDOS attacks from Southeast Asia.

We're working on it.  I was supposed to get two new mirrored database servers (one in Seattle, one in Princeton) which would help mitigate the issue, but yeah, we must've pissed someone off.

Bear with me - I'm getting the main server replaced as well in October.

The real fuck of it is that when it does crash some database tables get corrupted, like they are from bad seed and the whole forum chokes because the session table has bad data.  Just wipe it!  Who cares?  Not me!
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on September 27, 2007, 03:24:30 am
Quote
DDOS attacks from Southeast Asia.

dude...
uncut asian jerkboy. I knew he'd be back.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: jough on September 27, 2007, 03:26:02 am
Oh yeah, and while I have a monitoring thing set up to send me an SMS when the forum goes down so I can re-throttle the table rebuilds, the SMS system is itself not entirely reliable, so feel free to shoot me an email to my gmail (jough.dempsey@).
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: smick on September 27, 2007, 04:37:06 am
dude...
uncut asian jerkboy. I knew he'd be back.

OH No!  Direct Distribution of Southeast asian cockstaves!

The internet tubes are just clogged to the top with all that cock
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on September 27, 2007, 04:42:18 am
It could be worse: we could be suffering a Direct Distribution of SUGAH RAIN attack.

DDoSR attacks have been known to destroy boards so completely that the sysadmins are never seen again -- or are found in their rooms, white-haired, babbling about "great boarding is not a crime."
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on September 27, 2007, 04:46:05 am
oh man. Sugah Rain. that was back when I was just lurking every so often.
In retrospect, back then I often didn't look at the names of the posters, and I was under the impression that Touamb was huge like other message boards I'd been on.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: AugustWest on September 27, 2007, 04:54:12 am
and I was under the impression that Touamb was huge like other message boards I'd been on.

Yeah.  Aren't you glad that you have seminars bigger than this place?
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: Golfhaus on September 28, 2007, 03:59:06 pm
oh man. Sugah Rain. that was back when I was just lurking every so often.

Dammit... every time someone brings him up now, my first thought is one of viral self-made music videos on YouTube.

SUGAH RAIN
AH GOT SOUL BUT YOU DUHNT FEEL MAH PAIN
SUGAH RAIN
AIN'T NUH CRAHM TO TAHP LIKE AHM INSANE
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2007, 04:37:03 pm
um, I don't. My classes this semester are all pretty big-ish, or medium-ish. Except my film class, which is 14, and my psych... which is 2 people. and 2 professors.

but, yes. I am glad that this is a small place.
Title: Re: New Forum Software
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2007, 07:07:14 pm
SUGAH RAIN
AH GOT SOUL BUT YOU DUHNT FEEL MAH PAIN
SUGAH RAIN
AIN'T NUH CRAHM TO TAHP LIKE AHM INSANE

Someone on the board with YouTube video recording/posting capacity needs to make this immediately. I command it.