Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New Forum Software  (Read 38709 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 08:39:18 pm »

I *heart* quick reply.

Okay, avatars will now automatically resize if you upload or link to another off-board site (it actually will recopy the avatar to this server and resize it.

Size is 150x150 max, which is larger than I had it set on the old board.

Other than the differences with user groups and custom ranks, and some permissions troubles (mods can't post in any forum but those they moderate?  can't figure that one out yet) the migration was amazingly good.

All threads, posts, PMs, sigs, and most other user settings (including timezone offset and other things) transferred perfectly.  I was actually really surprised how well it worked.  I expected to spend the day today moving posts and threads - now I can concentrate on fixing some glitches, getting titles set up right, and working on the board layout and style.

If you uploaded or set your avatar prior to, um, now, you may want to re-load it so it comes over with the new settings.  Keep it to 150x150px and it shouldn't resize it at all.

At least, my avatar worked properly the first time.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 08:43:50 pm »

Unfortunately, it still seems to be adding a scroll bar even though this avatar uploaded fine. Is this intended function?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 09:07:08 pm »

I can't get it to upload my avatar, I keep getting an error message.  It will link to it but it does not seem to be automatically copying it - at least I assume this from the fact that when I left-click and get Properties I still see my original URL.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 09:35:10 pm »

Unfortunately, it still seems to be adding a scroll bar even though this avatar uploaded fine. Is this intended function?

That's down to your resolution/window size. Mine doesn't do it unless I pull the window width in. Can be fixed by changing the css behaviour to not scroll assuming (hoping) it's css-ability is that good.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 09:50:49 pm »

(mods can't post in any forum but those they moderate?  can't figure that one out yet)

You appear to have fixed that one.

Also, my avatar loaded fine and works fine.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 09:54:37 pm »

I'll take a look at the stylesheet later, but hopefully it's just a matter of the whitespace preservation.  I'd rather control avatar sizes on add/upload.  After that, we don't really need to have a scroll bar if it goes over some predetermined size in the CSS.

The board will only recopy the avatar if it is larger than 125x150 (had to reduce the width to 125 so as not to screw things up on the sidebar).

The avatar size on the old board was 100x100, so still this is larger.

Anyone with a funky avatar I'll be correcting manually since there aren't many.

Also, I believe I've solved the user group/moderator problem, and all mods are now global board mods now in addition to mods of a particular forum.  That way mod power extends to all fora, but you're not *responsible* for modding anything but your own forum.

I figure I can trust any mods here to use their power only for good.  Moderating hasn't really been a problem so far.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 10:11:48 pm »


I figure I can trust any mods here to use their power only for good. 

MMWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

I am now blissfully FREE to implement my sinister TOUAMB moderating scheme!  Today the Board, Tomorrow the WORLD!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 10:31:39 pm »

Unfortunately, it still seems to be adding a scroll bar even though this avatar uploaded fine. Is this intended function?

Yeah, the "overflow: hidden" was fuck*ng hard-coded into the php rather than being accessible via the stylesheet.

I have to say that so far I'm not impressed with the FUBARed template system for this thing.  Ugh.  The code is a mess.

It is fairly well commented, though.

I'll have to do a lot of sorting through this stuff over the next few days.  Thankfully most of what I want to change is affected by global templates, rather than having to change 40 different ones (okay, there are only 31 template files, but still).

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 10:40:21 pm »

This is gonna take a while.  I like having many many features.  Even if they only get used infrequently.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 02:19:52 am »

Some things will take some time getting used to, I think, but so far I really like it.  I'll probably never push most of those buttons, but, for example, I like how it tells us in which thread the most recent post was made.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 02:28:17 am »

A couple of things I've noticed so far:

How does it indicate topics with new posts in the individual forum? Am I just too dumb to notice this?

Also, it seems like it's marking all posts in a forum as read just by looking at the main forum menu, not actually by clicking/reading. Has anyone else had this problem?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 03:43:46 am »

V-

At the level of the board, I think new topics/posts in a forum are indicated by the big blue icons to the left. They grey out when there are no new topics or posts.

At the level of the forum, there is a new tag and also if there is a post within a certain time frame there seems to be a bolded "today" or "yesterday" along with the date/time stamp. I used this to indicate what I should read and just clicked 'mark all read' today since everything is new.

I don't know if this is even your question or not.

Here's a question from me, though: is the 'total time logged on' going to measure how much time I've spent on the board forever? That seems a little odd unless it wants you to mock yourself for how much of your life you waste here.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 03:44:50 am »

There's a little blue bubble with the word "new" next to the topic name if there's new posts. If you visit a forum with multiple new topics then leave the icon on the main page changes, but if you go into the forum the little new bubbles are still there for the topics that you missed.

I don't seem to have any actual mod powers other than a Sticky button in each thread. Is this just me?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 03:48:22 am »

Yeah, me either. Global Moderator seems to be a title without any special abilities.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 07:56:12 am »

Okay, okay, I'll see what the hell is up with the moderator group.

Dang, this thing has more of a learning curve than I'd hoped.

Also, a couple people have PMed me saying they can't post.  I'm not sure why that is, since they don't have anything special about their accounts.  But I'll have to look into that too.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up