The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: The Achewood Guy on January 06, 2006, 07:54:18 am
-
FIRST POST!
this one was all right
Ray's Prison Pen Pal (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01062006)
[added date+link, Cort]
-
newb ;D ;D :P
-
We value detailed criticism on this board. Please try again.
-
GREAT strip
i love ray's facial expressions, they're really good
heh is mr. bear shrinking? if you look closely in the first and second panels you can see he's gotten shorter
heh!
-
Okay The Achewood Guy, I say welcome, and since this is your first time I will make sure I use lots of lube...
When you post the first post about the strip, it is expected of you to post the perma-link to the strip, like this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01062006) if you want to be fancy, or like this if you want to be lazy: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01062006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01062006). You can find the perma link to any strip by going to the archives and scrolling to the bottom, where you'll see the newest strip. Click on it, and viola, the perma-links URL can easily be cut and pasted into your posting.
Also, you should include the full date in your subject line - right now it just says "Friday" and since most Fridays Onstad does post something, just calling it "Friday" doesn't help anyone much two weeks, months, years from now when they want to find this thread.
Also, because you've neglected to do these things, unless you correct them yourself, you've created unnecessary work for the lovely board moderators. Why unnecessary? Because if you'd taken a little time to look at all or any of the earlier threads about the strips you would see that each and every one of them follows these rules.
Also, it has been repeatedly stressed on this board that you should only post a "first post" if you actually have something to say about the strip, not just to be the first dog to piss on the hydrant, unless you indeed want to have everyone else piss all over you. And if this is all you're in it for, I'm sure you can join some R. Kelly fan club somewhere.
I know you were an excited board-virgin, and now you've cum in you shorts. It happens to lots of people. It might have felt pleasurable when it happend, but now it's all about shame. It's okay though. We welcome the witty banter here, and since you are apparently The Achewood Guy, then you must have something constructive to add to the conversation. What did you think of the strip? Do you buy things you see on TV? What are your thoughts on prison pen pals?
-
Why can't I have more than 3 digits inside of you at once, are you yeller?
-
Anyone think this one needs more Lyle!
-
I take pride in my ability to "get" the intricacies of the comic strip's humor, which is why I was able to find laser hair removal so funny.
I also appreciate the jab at prisons, and those who are in them.
Achewood should take on Garfield! Now THAT'S what I call a photo finish!
-
Holy crap.. The Achewood Guy is not only the worst moniker ever, but man you are breaking HELLA rules here. I suspect it's Onstad in disguise mocking us with his More Lyle comment and his complete and utter disregard for the fine system of checks and balances this fine board has in place.
Either that or my paranoia is acting up again...
Anyway, the comic made me go "Eh" as opposed to going "Hmmm", this is a feeling I do not like out of my Achewood. I suggest we remedy this with, I dunno, something.
-
Can people stress the inane rules of posting on the internet without sounding like they trapped their dick in the car door?
-
Can people stress the inane rules of posting on the internet without sounding like they trapped their dick in the car door?
I don't think that's possible, unfortunately (And a tiny can of Dr Pepper for you).
-
I wouldn't worry Misterqueue, a little part of me always assumes Onstad when a troll shows up here, though I'd assume (hope) the good man has better things to do with his time than bait us. Poking fun at message board rules is pretty low on the funny scale for me, I mean yeah plenty of message board rules are anal retentive and even though people may sound fussy explaining them I don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep because someone broke them ('shit man, you broke the rules, where the hell am I going to get another one of those? Damnit, go see if you can find some pottery glue') .
This strip didn't do a lot for me, the letter seemed to be something that would happen to Roast Beef more than Ray but for the alt text got a little chuckle 'Overstayment of Welcome' with capitalization and everything is just a funny term.
-
Good to see you again, Mr. Bear.
<sigh>
I don't get what the third panel is - did Ray buy a restaurant menu off of QVC? Do they even DO that? Does QVC still exist?
-
Wow, message board meta-humor. How very Andy Kaufman.
"Overstayment of Welcome" made me snerk.
-
"Overstayment of Welcome" made me snerk.
That's the phrase that clinched it for me in the end.
I don't get what the third panel is - did Ray buy a restaurant menu off of QVC? Do they even DO that? Does QVC still exist?
I think it's just a framed poster of "Italy" written in fonts to represent the four seasons. Probably it was taken off the wall of a Four Seasons.
And I'm pretty sure QVC still exists.
-
Can people stress the inane rules of posting on the internet without sounding like they trapped their dick in the car door?
Ha, ha! It was my pu$$yl lips actually.
It seemed to be the general consensus in previous instances that my insane ripping into the newbies was sort of my job, so sorry if it came across as ego. I just remember JL reminding us that we'd gotten soft on newbies and then there was encouraging from all corners to tear strips into the newbies, and well, you know, it's trial by fire.
-
People, can we not have ONE Friday without the subject of side_show's pu$$yl lips and car doors coming up?
I mean really now, at this rate I'm going to stop inviting you all out to this dinner.
-
Oh misterqueue, you made me laugh for the second time this morn' but the Karma meter wont let me give you another can right now, since I already gave you one earlier. Also, since we're talking about my body parts, I've been writting about cans so much lately that I can't help but thing of... you know... cans.
-
That's okay Miss side_show, you left a tiny can of Dr. Pepper on my heart... or on the can.
Hell I dunno, maybe they are in the same place.
By this I mean, thank you.
-
Oh, The Achewood Guy - Have my retarded internet baby.
-
Damn people, is this going to happen every time I have the day off and sleep in. I wake up and it's all genitals in doors, lube, and messy shorts. Not to mention no dates in the subject. Come on people, have some dignity.
-
This comic was "mah" to me. I'm easily entertained too. I dunno, I guess you can't win 'em all.
After reading/viewing the whole strip though a thought popped into my head. The Hollywood Laser Hair...could that have some connection to the topic regarding Bozack's back hair and the suggested laser removal? Probably not but my brain is fantastical like that and I hope so much that is what Onstad was getting at. I can hope right?
-
Damn people, is this going to happen every time I have the day off and sleep in. I wake up and it's all genitals in doors, lube, and messy shorts. Not to mention no dates in the subject. Come on people, have some dignity.
I know Cort. I wanted to fix it myself, but I don't have the powers! The powers! So instead I made my self sound like a dorky stickler, and then, well, you saw the rest.
-
If you Google "Giacomo Vendelli" you get no results at all. I know I didn't.
Did Onstad consciously struggle to come up with an italian name completely unheard of?
Yeah, I guess I spend more time looking at meh strips than at awesome ones. Just digging for little details that can increase the level of funny.
-
Hello everyone I hope you all had a happy holiday season. And congratulations to those of you who understand the Internet on the new messageboard. I do not, but it seems nice and I like how the little "M" on the marquee button is constantly scrolling.
I wonder if a more funny strip would be to see what Ray and his friend INTENTIONALLY bought from a shopping network, or at least to see Ray delighted by something stupid they bought. I always love seeing Ray delighted by stupid things. Just seeing someone buy some dumb crap and be like, "Oh man, this crap is dumb," doesn't do a lot for me. I can see that basically everytime I go home for the holidays, and I see that my mom has bought a new device, for at least $300, that peels potatoes using what appears to be an exacto knife and a dialysis machine.
I did think the penpal letter was pretty funny, though.
-
There's no need to feed the troll, people. The Achewood Guy is no longer welcome here.
As for today's strip, this one landed with a dull thud. I guess I have not written to a prison pen pal and thus do not know of the tropes of prison pen pal lettres enough to enjoy a parody of one.
-
I wouldn't worry Misterqueue, a little part of me always assumes Onstad when a troll shows up here, though I'd assume (hope) the good man has better things to do with his time than bait us.
Yeah, instead of posting here, he could have made today's strip funny.
I doubt it's Onstad, though. I'd like to think that his wit isn't so dull.
-
okeydokey, I agree with the "dull thud" group. I dunno, maybe those intermediate panels have just too little content (in such large boxes!) to offset the copious throwaway penpal letter punchline. I mean, it doesn't sound like a Mr. Cropes-like character writing to Ray, just a desperate, money seeking, Irish-National-Lottery-Winner-esque scam artist. I guess the fact that Ray paid for that is relatively funny. Heh! But hey, Mr. Bear, and Ray with a lot of worried expressions. What more could we ask?
Was I that horrible as a brand-newbie? I remember trying to first post quite a lot.
-
My friend's mom was recently "donked up" and she ordered some amusing crap from a late-night infomercial: a set of light-up flying saucer-like whirring discs that are remote-controlled and can fly like 50 feet into the air, and a set of remote-control cars that also light up. I should mention that my friend is 20.
Any idea why the $50 Prison Pen Pal box is so large? I'm pretty sure the inmate himself is not inside.
-
My friend's mom was recently "donked up" and she ordered some amusing crap from a late-night infomercial: a set of light-up flying saucer-like whirring discs that are remote-controlled and can fly like 50 feet into the air, and a set of remote-control cars that also light up. I should mention that my friend is 20.
Any idea why the $50 Prison Pen Pal box is so large? I'm pretty sure the inmate himself is not inside.
Since when is 20 too old to enjoy light-up remote control anything?
-
Any idea why the $50 Prison Pen Pal box is so large? I'm pretty sure the inmate himself is not inside.
I think there is some perspective going on there. The "camera" or the viewers (us(we)) are supposed to be really close to the boxes looking over them at Ray and Bear. See the Prison Pen Pal box in panel four is the same little box as in panel five. Note the placement of the stickers. Nifty huh?
-
Egad -- you're right! It would appear I'm something of a dullard.
-
Yeah, instead of posting here, he could have made today's strip funny.
I doubt it's Onstad, though. I'd like to think that his wit isn't so dull.
I wouldn't bet on that, look at today's strip for example.
-
Egad -- you're right! It would appear I'm something of a dullard.
Nah, I wouldn't say that. I have to admit I saw the large Prison Pen Pal box and thought "Is there a person inside there...a criminal person?" And then I thought "what if this guy knows Nice Pete or something" and then the whole Hollywood Hair thing that I explained earlier (that I'm guessing most ignored) happened. Yeah I'm trying to say missing that isn't a big thing, I try to find stuff and when I don't I make things up and hope they come true.
(Wow, after reading that I totally switched gears in the middle there)
-
Wow, I spend all day tending to rats and this happens. You people are wacky, I say, wacky.
That said, this thread and the resulting hubbub re: Achewood Guy is significantly funnier than the strip. I really should just start distributing Dr Pepper madly and wildly. And yes, side_show: you are allowed to be harsh to newbies, especially ones that rival good ol' Sugah Rain and district and that dude with the terrible webcomic* for Worst Noob Ever status.
Everyone else: no, you were not as bad as that guy when you were a noob.
I hope I wasn't either.[/i]
* I realized after I typed that how inspecific it was, and only now I remember his username: FancieBaby. Or maybe it was FancyBabie. I know one of his Y's was all discombobulated, but dadgummit, I can't remember which. Damn newbs! Get off my lawn!
-
Amusing points on the strip: the fact that the pen pal letter comes in a box; also, the usage of an exclamation mark to connote "summer."
I'm sort of reminded of the vanity album strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09292004), with the kitschy product close-ups and all.
-
This strip has to be the beginning of a story arc, and the wackiness is to ensue later.
-
This strip has to be the beginning of a story arc, and the wackiness is to ensue later.
Oh please I hope not. I was expecting the dream strips to become a story arc...
-
A nice detail: note how the "Dear Ray" salutation is askew relative to the body of the letter. This makes me think that this particular prisoner sends a lot of these, mass-producing the letter somehow and then filling in the "Dear [Name]" later. Whatever his complex scam is, it's bound to work on somebody.
this is my first post america
-
I'll have to hit you in the head... with a tiny can of Dr Pepper.
-
I'll have to hit you in the head... with a tiny can of Dr Pepper.
Wow! I thank you. You, and whoever gave me them other two cans.
-
This strip has to be the beginning of a story arc, and the wackiness is to ensue later.
I was wrong. Huh!