Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"  (Read 7329 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »

Any idea why the $50 Prison Pen Pal box is so large? I'm pretty sure the inmate himself is not inside.

I think there is some perspective going on there. The "camera" or the viewers (us(we)) are supposed to be really close to the boxes looking over them at Ray and Bear. See the Prison Pen Pal box in panel four is the same little box as in panel five. Note the placement of the stickers. Nifty huh?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 08:28:43 pm »

Egad -- you're right! It would appear I'm something of a dullard.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 08:35:57 pm »

Yeah, instead of posting here, he could have made today's strip funny. 

I doubt it's Onstad, though.  I'd like to think that his wit isn't so dull.


I wouldn't bet on that, look at today's strip for example.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 08:53:20 pm »

Egad -- you're right! It would appear I'm something of a dullard.


Nah, I wouldn't say that. I have to admit I saw the large Prison Pen Pal box and thought "Is there a person inside there...a criminal person?" And then I thought "what if this guy knows Nice Pete or something" and then the whole Hollywood Hair thing that I explained earlier (that I'm guessing most ignored) happened. Yeah I'm trying to say missing that isn't a big thing, I try to find stuff and when I don't I make things up and hope they come true.

(Wow, after reading that I totally switched gears in the middle there)
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 09:11:11 pm »

Wow, I spend all day tending to rats and this happens. You people are wacky, I say, wacky.

That said, this thread and the resulting hubbub re: Achewood Guy is significantly funnier than the strip. I really should just start distributing Dr Pepper madly and wildly. And yes, side_show: you are allowed to be harsh to newbies, especially ones that rival good ol' Sugah Rain and district and that dude with the terrible webcomic* for Worst Noob Ever status.

Everyone else: no, you were not as bad as that guy when you were a noob.

I hope I wasn't either.[/i]

* I realized after I typed that how inspecific it was, and only now I remember his username: FancieBaby. Or maybe it was FancyBabie. I know one of his Y's was all discombobulated, but dadgummit, I can't remember which. Damn newbs! Get off my lawn!
Logged

otter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2006, 09:44:12 pm »

Amusing points on the strip: the fact that the pen pal letter comes in a box; also, the usage of an exclamation mark to connote "summer."

I'm sort of reminded of the vanity album strip, with the kitschy product close-ups and all.
Logged
um

Undertoad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 34
  • Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe ande Ale Taverne Inne Keepere
    • View Profile
    • the Cellar
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2006, 10:03:31 pm »

This strip has to be the beginning of a story arc, and the wackiness is to ensue later.
Logged
-=My usual hangout: The Cellar
-=My daily image blog: Image of the Day

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2006, 10:09:16 pm »

This strip has to be the beginning of a story arc, and the wackiness is to ensue later.

Oh please I hope not. I was expecting the dream strips to become a story arc...
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 09:42:29 pm »

A nice detail: note how the "Dear Ray" salutation is askew relative to the body of the letter.  This makes me think that this particular prisoner sends a lot of these, mass-producing the letter somehow and then filling in the "Dear [Name]" later. Whatever his complex scam is, it's bound to work on somebody.

this is my first post america
Logged

yu-huang

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • xy7htk
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 10:13:33 pm »

I'll have to hit you in the head... with a tiny can of Dr Pepper.
Logged
the ominous finger-pointing of street aggression

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2006, 03:04:42 am »

I'll have to hit you in the head... with a tiny can of Dr Pepper.
Wow!  I thank you.  You, and whoever gave me them other two cans.
Logged

Undertoad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 34
  • Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe ande Ale Taverne Inne Keepere
    • View Profile
    • the Cellar
Re: Jan 6, 05 - "What In The Hell?"
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 03:21:31 pm »

This strip has to be the beginning of a story arc, and the wackiness is to ensue later.
I was wrong.  Huh!
Logged
-=My usual hangout: The Cellar
-=My daily image blog: Image of the Day
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up