The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on January 17, 2006, 05:50:50 am

Title: Guinness Float
Post by: miles on January 17, 2006, 05:50:50 am
Choop encouraged this in Achechat, and I promised to show the results.  Sorry it took so long.

The Ingredients:

A bottle of Guinness and Breyers Natural Vanilla All Natural Ice Cream (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat.jpg).

The Tools:

Next time I will use a better scoop, but it worked (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat2.jpg).

The Method:

Add three or so scoops of ice cream to bowl (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat3.jpg).

Prepare the Guinness, and pour about half a bottle on the ice cream (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat4.jpg).

The Results:

A bit soupy (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat5.jpg)--

--but-- (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat6.jpg)

Delicious (http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/milesmoon/GuinnessFloat7.jpg).
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2006, 07:43:23 am
A float in a bowl sounds a little odd, but the flavor should be the same as in a glass or mug. Interesting.

If you could put the ice cream in the mug and then hard freeze them before pouring the Guinness over, maybe that would cut down on the soupiness....
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: slink on January 17, 2006, 01:23:28 pm
With Guinness?

As a kid I used to have them with lemonade, and while I can almost imagine it working with Guinness, it does sound a bit odd.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: acoxcae on January 17, 2006, 01:46:47 pm
As a kid I used to have them with lemonade, and while I can almost imagine it working with Guinness, it does sound a bit odd.

No, I believe the term you're looking for is "delicious."

On a separate but related topic - I was buying vanilla ice cream yesterday to top some fudge brownies I'll be serving at dinner tonight.  I was looking for the best and most creamy possible vanilla ice cream, preferably one with actual vanilla bean visible.  When I finally found one (Breyer's, I think it's the one miles used), my girlfriend was like "Gross, it's got SPECKS in it!"  I spent 10 minutes trying to convince her that the specks were where deliciousness lived, to no avail.

Now I have Edy's double vanilla and will just have to live without.  Damn anti-vanilla lobby.

On the other hand, now that I may have some leftover, it's pretty important I buy some Guinness and give this a whirl.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 17, 2006, 06:20:18 pm

On a separate but related topic - I was buying vanilla ice cream yesterday to top some fudge brownies I'll be serving at dinner tonight.  I was looking for the best and most creamy possible vanilla ice cream, preferably one with actual vanilla bean visible.  When I finally found one (Breyer's, I think it's the one miles used), my girlfriend was like "Gross, it's got SPECKS in it!"  I spent 10 minutes trying to convince her that the specks were where deliciousness lived, to no avail.


What does she do with mint chocolate chip? Eat around the cippity goodness that is chocolate? Sigh...her loss though.

As for the Guinness float, looks good, seems good so it must be great right? I'm going to try it next time I get some Guinness but I don't think I'm going to try and get a bottle just to do this (underage makes it sometimes difficult). I think it would be better in a chilled mug, kinda like a root beer float. That's just me though.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: miles on January 17, 2006, 11:46:20 pm
What does she do with mint chocolate chip? Eat around the cippity goodness that is chocolate? Sigh...her loss though.

As for the Guinness float, looks good, seems good so it must be great right? I'm going to try it next time I get some Guinness but I don't think I'm going to try and get a bottle just to do this (underage makes it sometimes difficult). I think it would be better in a chilled mug, kinda like a root beer float. That's just me though.

I think I will try it in a chilled mug, too.  I'll have to get a new one.  It will just feel wrong using my A&W mug for this.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: pmcd9 on January 18, 2006, 03:22:21 am
I was looking for the best and most creamy possible vanilla ice cream, preferably one with actual vanilla bean visible.  When I finally found one (Breyer's, I think it's the one miles used), my girlfriend was like "Gross, it's got SPECKS in it!"  I spent 10 minutes trying to convince her that the specks were where deliciousness lived, to no avail.

You need to break up with her.

~Paul
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: wombat on January 18, 2006, 03:30:00 am
You need to break up with her.

~Paul

I wasn't going to say this, but if Paul thinks it's OK... I second it.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: acoxcae on January 18, 2006, 01:41:13 pm
Well, I'm back to report that the ice cream, despite not having specks, was delicious - although it might've been the warm brownie under it that did the trick.  Also, I'm considering posting the recipe for the roasted pork chop entree somewhere, since no fewer than 2 people declared it "the best pork chop of my life."

I don't think I'll break up with her over her non-appreciation of vanilla, but I'm certainly doing my best to reform her - she's come a long way into the world of deliciousness, there's just a few things I need to work out...
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: misterqueue on January 18, 2006, 01:44:59 pm
Nonsense!  Break up with her!  it is the only sensible thing to do!  After all, the Internet said so.

The Internet!
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: acoxcae on January 19, 2006, 12:40:21 am
I think I found the missing ingredient that separates this from the likes of ambrosia or manna - Guinness Ice Cream (http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/01/18/guinness_ice_cream/?p1=MEWell_Pos1).

If I ever get my ass in gear (and get an ice cream maker), I am ALL ABOUT THIS.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: miles on January 19, 2006, 12:53:59 am
I think I found the missing ingredient that separates this from the likes of ambrosia or manna - Guinness Ice Cream (http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/01/18/guinness_ice_cream/?p1=MEWell_Pos1).

If I ever get my ass in gear (and get an ice cream maker), I am ALL ABOUT THIS.

WOOOO!  I just need to find an ice cream maker now.

Quote from: acoxcae
she's come a long way into the world of deliciousness

hee hee hee
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: Biz Markizzle on January 24, 2006, 07:15:41 pm
Yeah rather than breaking up with your girlfriend you may want to just get an ice cream maker and then you can work together to build an ice cream you both enjoy. It is a bonding experience to make ice cream with another person. I have one and it did not cost me much and it is magical. Home-made chocolate ice cream with peanut butter cups...home-made French vanilla with a warm brownie and caramel...home-made mango sorbet with, um, a spoon and a bowl. These are simple and easy-to-make delights that I cannot live without now that I have lived with them.

That Guinness ice cream looked pretty interesting, I have never made an ice cream with molasses before. You would definitely have to refridgerate it for way more than 2 hours though or you will get soup.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2006, 08:14:25 pm
There is a place in my neighborhood that makes Guiness ice cream. I think they are Jamaican, is Guiness a big thing there?  Anyway, if you are ever passing through the DC area I will tell you where they are.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2006, 08:27:48 pm
When I was in Puerto Rico, I had Nutella ice cream.  Which was fuck*ng FANTASTIC.  Should you ever encounter this elsewhere, partciulary in the DC area, please call me 911.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: miles on January 25, 2006, 12:41:40 am
You.  Both of you.  I am salivating.  Nutella is delicious!  And next time I'm in DC I'm having Guiness Ice Cream!

Have you tried it, Wombat?
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: wombat on January 25, 2006, 12:59:13 am
I have not tried the Guiness ice cream because I always have to get the mango flavor.  Speaking of floats: mango ice cream in ginger beer.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: miles on January 25, 2006, 01:17:09 am
That also sounds really good.  I'll have to try this.  Soon.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: robot_god on January 25, 2006, 06:16:24 am
I dislike Guinness, but perhaps I will try this with Newcastle Brown Ale.

Yes... yes, I will definitely try this.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: AugustWest on January 25, 2006, 06:20:57 am
I dislike Guinness,

Philistine.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: pmcd9 on January 25, 2006, 11:51:06 am
We've got two threads actively talking about beverages and ice cream.  Oh I get it, everyone is on a new years diet and craving sweet fatty foods.

~Paul
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: sunnystar on February 01, 2006, 10:18:33 pm
I am sorry to say, Paul, that I looked it up! Oops...

But, Alex is right, I have come a long way into the world of deliciousness, I just haven't branched out into retrying vanilla bean ice cream and shrimp. :ducks to avoid the rotten veggies being thrown my direction:

Alas, due to the fact that the Achewood message board almost lost me my relationship, and the near awkwardness of being talked about before I made myself known, maybe it's time to just complete the deliciousness journey...
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 01, 2006, 10:23:12 pm
I am sorry to say, Paul, that I looked it up! Oops...

But, Alex is right, I have come a long way into the world of deliciousness, I just haven't branched out into retrying vanilla bean ice cream and shrimp.

Eat these separately. Please.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2006, 10:49:13 pm
Actually eat them both with bacon. It will help settle an arguement we were having last night
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: acoxcae on February 01, 2006, 10:51:27 pm
Actually eat them both with bacon. It will help settle an arguement we were having last night

Now that's the kind of "Iron Chef" adventurousness I like to see.  After all, everything's delicious with bacon, right?

Right?
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: Golfhaus on February 01, 2006, 10:56:22 pm
Was this the place where I learned the theory that every food item can be enhanced deliciously by adding either garlic or chocolate chips to it?

Should bacon complete the trinity?
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2006, 11:07:53 pm
I heard it as cheese or chocolate but I can see garlic as a strong contender.

And let's not forget that everything tastes better on a Ritz
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2006, 11:37:11 pm
This discussion was remedial to begin with, but now it's just getting silly.

Not that I wish for it to end mind you.

~Paul
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: V-Adore on February 02, 2006, 12:28:12 am
A friend of mine once claimed that every food could be improved by the addition of rainbow sprinkles ("jimmies," if that's how you play it). I still want to prove her wrong (or right), but I can't figure out how to make a steak glaze out of rainbow sprinkles...
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: idiomsavant on February 02, 2006, 02:33:08 am
Resolved: Cheese is the best part of anything that has cheese in it. (http://www.vgg.com/proveuswrong/wrong04.html)
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2006, 05:24:28 am
rainbow sprinkles ("jimmies," if that's how you play it)

Any food that has a street name is a food you should probably avoid due to it's adictive qualities.

~Paul
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2006, 05:32:38 pm
My rule is that any food can be improved by adding either chocolate or bacon.

I have taken to singing Beethoven's 9th Symphony to my daughter as "Ode to Bacon."  "I love bacon, you love bacon, we love bacon yes we do..."  Try it, it makes a beautiful piece even beautifuler.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: sunnystar on February 02, 2006, 08:29:37 pm
My rule is that any food can be improved by adding either chocolate or bacon.

I have taken to singing Beethoven's 9th Symphony to my daughter as "Ode to Bacon."  "I love bacon, you love bacon, we love bacon yes we do..."  Try it, it makes a beautiful piece even beautifuler.

To this I had no other coherent thought but "Mmmm....chocolate....:drool:".
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2006, 06:15:08 am
I have taken to singing Beethoven's 9th Symphony to my daughter as "Ode to Bacon."  "I love bacon, you love bacon, we love bacon yes we do..."  Try it, it makes a beautiful piece even beautifuler.

Way to be ADORABLE.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: linnea on April 15, 2006, 01:54:08 am
WOOOO!  I just need to find an ice cream maker now.

hee hee hee

Oh HELLS yes.
That's one thing that I miss about being 4,000 miles from Denver. Back home there was a great ice cream shop called LIKS that had....Guinness Ice Cream with a Caramel Ribbon running throughout it. Sweet baby JESUS.

It was quite literally an orgasm in ice creamy format. Seriously. I did not think it could get any better than that, but the Guinness Float sounds pretty goddamned close. Here on the rock, Guinness costs $25 a SIX PACK (!) but I think I might break out my piggy bank to have a Guinness Float. Awesome!
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: acoxcae on April 15, 2006, 01:55:38 am
Well, since you resurrected the thread, it should be known that Ben and Jerry's newest flavor is cream-stout flavored ice cream with a swirl of chocolate ice cream.

As soon as I can get my hands on some, I'll let you know what it does for a Guinness float.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: linnea on April 15, 2006, 02:00:21 am
Damn. Well, I would be all up on that, but I live in a place that only has 3 kinds of dental floss at the grocery store. My little island has about 4 thousand people on it, so there's only so much Ben and Jerry's that they can sell (we have Cherry Garcia and a few other mainstays). I'll see if I can plead with one of the shopkeepers to get some of the new Ben and Jerry's flava. That sounds delicious.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: miles on April 15, 2006, 03:09:46 am
Oh HELLS yes.
That's one thing that I miss about being 4,000 miles from Denver. Back home there was a great ice cream shop called LIKS that had....Guinness Ice Cream with a Caramel Ribbon running throughout it. Sweet baby JESUS.

Where is this place?  I may be headed that way sometime soon.
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: jough on April 15, 2006, 04:06:19 am
It was quite literally an orgasm in ice creamy format. Seriously.

Literally?  Ice cream made you cum?

Awesome.  AWESOME!
Title: Re: Guinness Float
Post by: wombat on April 15, 2006, 12:44:33 pm
Oh right, that would sure make guys' lives easier.  Dream on.