The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on January 18, 2006, 09:31:15 am
-
Ray sure knows how to roll out the red carpet of love (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01182006) when his moms is up in his piece.
Seriously, we already knew the man was a good host, but it is good to see him be good to his mother.
Also, someone fire up the Achewiki and get ready to make a FIRST APPEARANCE page for Rays' mom.
-
You know, sometimes Raymond Q. Smuckles pretends to be all rico suave when he's really a secret doof, but today he's one smoooove B.
I mean seriously, "I tell you what. Why don't I double check to make sure I ain't grilling any rib-eye and you stand here and test to see if this is a mimosa." Is so good, is sooo smooth. Plus, you can always trust a guy who treats his mom well.
Good job Raymond Q. Smuckles, you get a Q-award today for being an awesome imaginary talking cat.
(Edit: To take out unnecessary HTML code. I keep forgetting what board I'm on sometimes)
-
If all you chatsack haters had known that storyline was gonna lead to this you would have held your tongues. Put this one in the best of '06 file.
Also, very good first post Jough. Way to lead by example. Oh wait, you got the year wrong, fuck*ng noob.
~Paul
-
If all you chatsack haters had known that storyline was gonna lead to this you would have held your tongues. Put this one in the best of '06 file.
Yeah, dicks.
This is quite the payoff. I hope this ain't another liebot shenanigan.
And yes, he does know how to treat his mother. And even when she nags him, he doesn't skip a beat.
-
Yeah, dicks.
This is quite the payoff. I hope this ain't another liebot shenanigan.
And yes, he does know how to treat his mother. And even when she nags him, he doesn't skip a beat.
Even if this is a Lie Bot conspiracy; at least the automaton has done his homework. Ray is clearly suckered by his good mom impression if that's the case anyway.
-
Did we really need the chatsack story to get to this strip? That aborted fetus could've been happily festering up on the blogs somewhere.
-
I like how Mrs. Smuckles looks like Roast Beef with a dress, glasses and a wig. Also, it is nice to see how polite and gracious they both are to each other. It's a nice contrast to Beef and Gramma K. Or Beef and Molly. Or Philippe and Ultra Peanut.
Hm. Are there any female characters (in Achewood) other than Mrs. Smuckles who are nice?
-
Well Philippe's mom used to send him tapes and Speaker Sneakers. That seemed nice.
It took me a minute to notice that Ray had a sweater on. It seems so . . . weird.
-
Miles, I saw your avatar and for a minute thought you were Bobby Isosceles.
-
Dude, Ray's got glasses and plates. That's fancy.
-
Well Philippe's mom used to send him tapes and Speaker Sneakers. That seemed nice.
You're right; I had forgotten about her, it's been so long.
-
That cat sure can react fast from one strip to another. I was expecting him to still be whirling his leg and pulling his tie, surrounded by Intensity Specks by the time his mother arrived. But no, he even remembered to put on the v-neck that she probably gave him and he never wore.
Ray's Mom. The momentousness of this moment cannot be stressed hard enough. The whole sack treatment was totally worth it.
But he'll still have to unveil ChatSack to her somehow. Maybe if he invited Karl Lagerfeld over she'd probably be down with it.
I just hope Ray hasn't taken all the necessary precautions to keep Todd from crashing the party.
-
Todd's going to show up, and it's all going to go downhill fast. There's no other way this storyline can end, aside from "this is actually Roast Beef in drag and/or a Lie Bot prank" or "Ray's mom is surprisingly cool with the ChatSack operation."
Do you get the feeling that Onstad spent a lot of time on Ray's mom? She has that "visual that Onstad spent a damn large amount of time on and wants to make sure we know it" look. Those do tend to be in the best strips, really.
-
(Edit: To take out unnecessary HTML code. I keep forgetting what board I'm on sometimes)
You've been seeing other boards?
Did we already know that Ray's middle name was Quentin?
-
Todd's going to show up, and it's all going to go downhill fast. There's no other way this storyline can end, aside from "this is actually Roast Beef in drag and/or a Lie Bot prank" or "Ray's mom is surprisingly cool with the ChatSack operation."
I vote "Ray's mom is surprisingly cool with the ChatSack operation." She will set up an agreement with Todd and Ray whereby they regularly send large shipments of Chatsacks to her address and she resells them to her senior citizen lady friends.
The senior citizen demographic will be instrumental to Ray's business plan
-
You've been seeing other boards?
Did we already know that Ray's middle name was Quentin?
Oh I've been seeing other boards loooong before. Just feel honored I stick around here all day. Or annoyed.
Anyway, yes, it was brought up in a Ray's Place that his middle name was Quentin.
-
The senior citizen demographic will be instrumental to Ray's business plan
I'm not sure. It takes a special kind of Mom to enjoy a ballsack hanging near their mouth while they talk on the phone.
A Mom like Paris Hilton.
-
I was kind of thinking that the rib-eyes, mimosas, glasses and plates were all in aid of distracting Ray's mom (who, by the way, is one regal looking kitty) from her original goal of seeing Ray's new business venture. Besides, he has already told her that they're making cards for kids who have to get operations on Christmas, so all he has to do is produce one of those. No ChatSacks required.
-
Hmmm, one of these Christmas cards?
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142005 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142005)
He might be better off showing her the ChatSack.
-
I wonder if Ray's wearing trousers.
-
Is it just me, or does Ray's mother look quite a bit like Drew Weing's depiction of Philippe's? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03312003 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03312003))
Also: Hi, all.
-
Hi Trouserbat, welcome to the board. Thanks for not being a cock to strangers with your first post.
I think Onstad established what Philippe's mother looked like before Weing did. But I think this is what mothers look like in the Achewood Universe. They look like... somebody's mother...
-
I dunno. I have the distinct feeling that unlike Ray & Philippe's mothers that Beef's mom would not look like she should be knitting.
Which reminds me. I remember 5-6 years ago when it was trendy for college-aged girls to knit. Is that shit over yet?
-
Which reminds me. I remember 5-6 years ago when it was trendy for college-aged girls to knit. Is that shit over yet?
1) No, except that college-age boys are now involved, and
2) I personally think that, as trends go, it's pretty respectable. I am a big proponent in people knowing how to do useful things, and traditional fiber crafts are definitely useful. Besides, what's the worst this can cause? Too many bobble hats in the world?
To get back on subject, I sort of hope Onstad never shows Beef's mother "on camera." Much better to keep her as a shadowy background figure, like Gramma K.
-
Beef said something about (Molly) knitting in his blog a week or two ago. To paraphrase and extend his take on it a bit: I think that since women working jobs, such as office jobs, that were previously largely only available to men is no longer culturally a new thing in the US, there is no longer such a push to prove that they are "better at being men than men" (I think that's how Beef put it). This has had the side effect of de-stigmatizing the various crafts and skills that had previously been disregarded as just "women's stuff". This is an oversimplification, of course. There is the influence of the many other elements to women's liberation that I couldn't adequately summarize while writing this on the clock at work. ;)
Not that I'm an ace sociologist or social historian, but that's how it seems to me.
(Woohoo! Writing this just coincided with an email from my girlfriend saying she got a second job interview!)
-
To get back on subject, I sort of hope Onstad never shows Beef's mother "on camera." Much better to keep her as a shadowy background figure, like Gramma K.
All pulling the strings behind the scenes; all being the root cause for many of the goings on in the Achewood universe
-
If Beef's mom is ever shown, she should be like Dr. Claw, all just showing one hand and the back of a chair.
It would be weird if she owned a cat, though.
-
Besides, what's the worst this can cause? Too many bobble hats in the world?
You say that like it's NO BIG DEAL. What the hell is wrong with you?
Also, my carpool partner just knitted a fuck*ng mardi gras scarf that looks like the penultimate step in the manufacture of Muppet sausage.
-
You say that like it's NO BIG DEAL. What the hell is wrong with you?
Also, my carpool partner just knitted a fuck*ng mardi gras scarf that looks like the penultimate step in the manufacture of Muppet sausage.
YOU.
ARE.
RAD.
-
Also, my carpool partner just knitted a fuck*ng mardi gras scarf that looks like the penultimate step in the manufacture of Muppet sausage.
...
What an image.
A tiny can for you!
-
You say that like it's NO BIG DEAL. What the hell is wrong with you?
Also, my carpool partner just knitted a fuck*ng mardi gras scarf that looks like the penultimate step in the manufacture of Muppet sausage.
Damn that was good. If I smoked I'd need a cigarette. Tiny cans abound!
-
Also, my carpool partner just knitted a fuck*ng mardi gras scarf that looks like the penultimate step in the manufacture of Muppet sausage.
If that isn't worth a can of Dr Pepper then I say we just throw this whole fuck*ng system out the window.
-
I think you're right. Let's overhaul the karma system so we get Muppet Sausages instead of tiny cans. or both.
I am truly enjoying this story arc now.
-
Ray and Ma are eatin' steak, Beef walks in smoking a cigarette.
Bring back cigarettes in Achewood, plz.
-
Woo! I cold have a 12-pack in my tiny fridge now. Thanks, touambers.
-
Which reminds me. I remember 5-6 years ago when it was trendy for college-aged girls to knit. Is that shit over yet?
Yeah, I was recently invited to a "knitting party," and I thought it was some code term for drugs, partner swapping or other such things, so I politely declined. I later learned that it was actually a knitting party. A knitting party. I do not knit, though I'd like to learn how to make scary hats. I usually prefer to get out my Martha Stewart Nesting urges through excellent cooking. I used to secretly do cross stitch in my late teens, but I new better than to share that sad fact with the world.
Also, as to Ray's mom: I'm surprised at the amount of shaming she directs at him. He seems like such a well adjusted cat without too many issues. He's a fully actualized cartoon cat, and I don't undersand how to fit his mother's critical nature into the psychological picture of Ray that we've been presented with. My only answer is that this is a comic strip.
-
Yeah, I was recently invited to a "knitting party," and I thought it was some code term for drugs, partner swapping or other such things, so I politely declined. I later learned that it was actually a knitting party. A knitting party. I do not knit, though I'd like to learn how to make scary hats. I usually prefer to get out my Martha Stewart Nesting urges through excellent cooking. I used to secretly do cross stitch in my late teens, but I new better than to share that sad fact with the world.
Also, as to Ray's mom: I'm surprised at the amount of shaming she directs at him. He seems like such a well adjusted cat without too many issues. He's a fully actualized cartoon cat, and I don't understand how to fit his mother's critical nature into the psychological picture of Ray that we've been presented with. My only answer is that this is a comic strip.
Yes! I can use the whole quote because I'm responding to both parts!
I can tell you knitting is pretty cool if you can get good at it. You can create cheap and simple presents for people during the holidays and even though it was inexpensive everyone that gets one will love it because 1) you worked so hard for them, for them! 2) it's a free warm piece of clothing 3) they can tell all their friends that they have a hand made _____! Really some might say it's the perfect gift. Also it's a good thing to do while you would other wise be wasting your life. You can knit on the bus, in the subway, on a plane, before going to bed, on the toilet (must be mindful of the dangling string), hell you could even get away with a dozen rows in between typing in the chat room or posting on the board. The only downsides I can see are getting bad arthritis after knitting for a long time and some get bored after awhile, I mean it isn't all that fun. I started a scarf this last Christmas (like 2004) and got bored of it, now I do plan on finishing it, but I still haven't even picked it up again and that was two years ago. In conclusion, you should start knitting/learn to knit. And if knitting isn't your thing you can try crochet. I'd say crocheting is easier but that's just me.
And for the second part. I don't think there is any psychological problem with Ray and his mother's scoldings. It dosn't seem like Ray is too effected by it. His only remark after is "Sorry mom." No groveling, crying or pleading. He seems to just take it as a motherly comment. Don't most mother's try to nit pick their children sometimes? As a mother they are the care taker, and when they see their son after a long absence they want to pick up again where they left off as the care taker. That's my spin on the whole thing, but I'm probably off.
Dang that turned out to be a longish post, as far as my posts go.
-
I do not knit, though I'd like to learn how to make scary hats.
You'd totally make a Mush Mouth hat and you know it.
-
I have seen a mush mouth hat for sale at a local head shop, someone put it on, and I was a-feared.
-
I have seen a mush mouth hat for sale at a local head shop, someone put it on, and I was a-feared.
I can understand that. That much awesome concentrated into one place would be a little scary.
-
I proudly own a pseudo-Mush Mouth hat given to me by a (male) friend last year, after he started desperately trying to unload it because it was just too damn big. I took it, as I have a huge head, and the thing still goes over my entire head to about chin-level. It was the best gift ever.
-
I have been trying for two days now to come up with an adequate way to express my reaction to the news that there is a trend of college-age males taking up knitting. And I can't. I'm struck dumb.
-
Hey Wombat don't throw me in with theose trendy mother fuckers. I'm more of the snob knitters. I've known how to knit since, oh...first grade I'd say. It was manditory for us to learn how to. Damn German privet hippy schools, I love you. Can I get a tissue over here?
-
I learned how to knit the proper way -- from my Grandmother, when I was a child (in the third grade, to be precise). So I can legitimately say that I started knitting before it was cool. I'm not saying that to be snooty; it is a fact. (FACT!)
-
If you google "Mush Mouth hat" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=%22Mush+Mouth+hat%22&btnG=Search), guess what the first hit is.
-
Welcome Strange People Who Google the Phrase "Mush Mouth Hat."
-
Mush Mouth Hat
Mush Mouth Hat
Mush Mouth Hat
Mush Mouth Hat
Mush Mouth Hat
PM me if you are looking for a Mush Mouth Hat, and I will set you up with one - at a cost.
-
Please do not ruin Google for us. If you flood the page with the term and it outweighs other terms on the page it will remove us. We're already #1. What more do you want, woman?
DO NOT TAUNT GOOGLEBOT
-
I'm sorry to say that we've just been surpassed by Juice magazine.
(dammit, I had to try it.)
-
Wait, so MMH gets all the google love, but Trilby Dodson still doesn't show up?
TRILBY DODSON!!!!
-
Shouldn't it be "mushmouth hat" anyway?
I'm pretty sure it's mushmouth hat.
Or maybe mush-mouth hat. I've seen that too.
-
Spell it any way you like and the good lord will provide.
-
I'm sorry to say that we've just been surpassed by Juice magazine.
(dammit, I had to try it.)
I think that you just didn't use quotes. We're still there.