The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_god on February 06, 2006, 09:14:46 am

Title: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: robot_god on February 06, 2006, 09:14:46 am
ON THE ROAD TO THE GREAT OUTDOOR FIGHT (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02062006)

Man, I just got to preface, I was smoking whiskey all day drinking drugs all night and I checked the achewood and it was old comic;

but, few minutes later, I hit refresh and it was newwwwww comic.

This strip - I won't go back and look - but it made me laugh very sincerely.

Then, at the last two panels, wide-eyed, I whispered, "HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT," loudly, to myself.

I don't know if this interests you, but thank you for letting me share it.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: ananke on February 06, 2006, 09:17:07 am
And to think this series started with cell-phone oat totes. Truly epic.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: nuero on February 06, 2006, 09:24:52 am
Ray army vs. Beef army?

I approve of this arc. Finally.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: antioch on February 06, 2006, 09:29:06 am
 Deffinitely grand stuff. I second the Beef vs. Ray idea thing. Men are of two kinds.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: melack on February 06, 2006, 09:32:19 am
My favorite part of the strip is how Ray is about to enter into a fight with 2,999 other men, but his concern appears to be side dishes. Beauty.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 06, 2006, 11:07:08 am
The correct line is "Brain Tape Since Young Times".

I feel like Philippe's applesauce and pork chops, all going "Noooooooo!"

Damn Beef, Damn.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: sam_spade on February 06, 2006, 12:43:33 pm
Dig the cycle, dig the terrain, dig Ray's questions. Hella double-plus awesome. A++++++, Will Read Again.

Oh and, stay tuned to find out whether Beef, when "contained" (?!), wants to be a hero or wants to be with a hero.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Roger on February 06, 2006, 12:54:09 pm
Nah, I don't think Beef's gonna build an army of his own to fight against Ray's. Even if we wanted to, I don't think he packs enough charisma to convince hundreds of cats to die for him. He's smart enough to realize that the best move is to side with Ray, become his first lieutenant – being Rodney Leonard Stubbs' son's best friend is no small thing.
But then, being Beef, in the end he'll probably sacrifice himself for Ray, all jumping in front of a perfectly spiralling bottle, all dying for the n-th time.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2006, 01:19:59 pm
Dogg it is brain tape since young times.

This one's just glorious.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: theinevitable on February 06, 2006, 01:24:17 pm
"Ray... I'm sorry ray, but I have to kill you."

The laugh that I made at this strip was the laugh that Roast Beef made when they recreated Cheers for him. My eyes got big, and I was a little too much excited.

I am looking forward to this.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Golfhaus on February 06, 2006, 01:26:52 pm
6 FEBRUARY 2006

DEAR MR ONSTAD STOP THIS TELEGRAM IS TO CONVEY TO YOU THE IDEA THAT I AM CURRENTLY ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT STOP YOUR COMPELLING STORY OF TWO FRIENDS BOUND BY FATE TO FIGHT EACH OTHER LEAVES THE NATION ANTICIPATING EVERY NEXT MOVE STOP PLEASE MR ONSTAD FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DO NOT SKIP ANY DAYS WITH LAME STRIP RETURNS WEDNESDAY MESSAGES STOP DOING SO WILL CAUSE MEN TO WEEP AND BABIES TO DIE STOP SINCERELY YOUR FRIEND THADDEUS Q. SCHENKELMANN VON OELLERBETTERN STOP
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 02:18:15 pm
Dude, the helmets and goggles. The helmets and goggles!

But wasn't Stubbs whole deal that eschewed this system of fighting and did the whole fight solo? Ray can't ignore his father's legacy.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 06, 2006, 02:38:13 pm
oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

This is NOT going to end well.  I think we can look forward to Beef getting killed again.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 06, 2006, 02:44:11 pm
Yeah usually when Onstad has a strip the primary goal of which is to advance the plot, I nod my head and appreciate that he is a comic-man who values story and character; however, I don't feel as emotionally satisfied as when the comic is just straight-up funny. But this one is extremely awesome. Onstad appears to be on a roll here similar to that of Melville in certain passages of the final chapters of Moby Dick. Passages that just make you say, "Ohhh shiiiiit," because the author has clearly tapped briefly but grandly into mental circuitry that anyone who has ever had even a single creative impulse should recognize as hell of rare.

And the line about side dishes is really funny. Man now I am so excited for this week and the strips it is going to bring.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 06, 2006, 02:46:03 pm
Nice carlosdelvaca and I just rocked the "oh shit" at the exact same time. That is what this strip does.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2006, 02:58:38 pm
Oh, man. This is totally lined up to be the best arc ever, and the fact that it started with ChatSacks makes it all the better. Oh my gosh.

I'm curious to see if anyone actually gets killed, given that Heaven memorably burned down. What's left in the afterlife for these dudes? I guess there's still Hell, but been-there-done-that. That said, maybe Ray in the afterlife will meet Cartilage Head, and they can have a beer and laugh about it all?
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Emergent_C on February 06, 2006, 03:18:23 pm
It's so typically Ray that he believes kicking "rich amounts of ass with a remarkable style" simply "shouldn't be a problem." Dogg is so stone cold confident that I predict he'll become a bestselling inspirational author/speaker after the GOF.

Has he ever experienced a moment of self-doubt, in the history of the strip?
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 03:37:45 pm
Has he ever experienced a moment of self-doubt, in the history of the strip?

I can't search right now, but I believe this has happened while he was drunk/high, but I'm not totally sure.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2006, 03:43:06 pm
When I read "Beef, are you in the fight?" I gasped.  This plot twist took me by surprise and caused a visceral reaction.  Best story arc ever?  Possibly.

~Paul
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: mkilly on February 06, 2006, 03:49:42 pm
Heh heh heh, those last three panels had me in stitches. VERITABLE STITCHES.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: evan on February 06, 2006, 04:06:56 pm
Oh man I am loving this storyline more and more each day.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: littlefox on February 06, 2006, 04:14:55 pm
shiiiit!!! I didn't even know it was POSSIBLE for this storyline to get awesomer!
I can't get over how AWESOME this strip makes me feel, deep down inside.

The goggles and helmets totally make it.

Also I think that they are going to be on the same side, because Beef says "we'll figure it out then," and so on. There's a team feel here.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2006, 04:18:07 pm
Also I think that they are going to be on the same side, because Beef says "we'll figure it out then," and so on. There's a team feel here.

We'll see how it works out when push comes to shove.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: bonaparte on February 06, 2006, 04:21:40 pm
I don't know about this Beef v Ray or Beef/Ray team thing.  I've got a feeling that Beef is going to go it alone, just as he's had to do his whole life.  Dude is from Circumstances after all, and I think we'll see the true heir of Ramses Luther Smuckles is none other than a Mr. R Beef Kazenzakis.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Emergent_C on February 06, 2006, 04:37:13 pm
I think we'll see the true heir of Ramses Luther Smuckles is none other than a Mr. R Beef Kazenzakis.

What if...what if Ray's mom has another secret she's never revealed to Ray?!?!
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2006, 05:18:08 pm
What if when it comes down to just the two of them Ray does the noble thing and lays down for Beef? It would be mind boggling.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: acoxcae on February 06, 2006, 05:24:59 pm
Beef couldn't handle winning - he'd have to go bury the trophy in the backyard.  How could he BE so cocky?
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Hobot on February 06, 2006, 05:45:01 pm
Onstad appears to be on a roll here similar to that of Melville in certain passages of the final chapters of Moby Dick. Passages that just make you say, "Ohhh shiiiiit," because the author has clearly tapped briefly but grandly into mental circuitry that anyone who has ever had even a single creative impulse should recognize as hell of rare.

A tiny can to you, my good sir (sizzle?), for your excellent taste in literature.


Ray versus Beef is like Hitler versus Stalin, Romeo versus Juliet, Magic versus Science...and other innacurate comparisons!
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 06, 2006, 05:51:40 pm
But wait.  Wouldn't Beef have had to qualify (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01312006)?
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: sunnystar on February 06, 2006, 05:55:24 pm
This thread is making me dizzy with possibilities even my super imaginative brain would have never thought of! DIZZY I SAY! :gasp!:
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Bozack on February 06, 2006, 06:31:04 pm
God, it is DELICIOUS
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: jough on February 06, 2006, 06:51:06 pm
The dude who registered the domain name (http://greatoutdoorfight.com) is pussing out now:
Quote from: Logan Ingalls, a Dwarf's Bitch
In the webcomic Achewood on 25 January 2006, this website is featured. It was available at the time of publication, and in order to prevent the unseemly use of this address, I — a mere fan of the comic — registered the domain. I quickly whipped up a page that resembled that shown in the strip, but I don't have the time (or the Onstad-esque skill) to make it impressive.

— Logan Ingalls

Fuck you Logan Ingalls!
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2006, 07:04:51 pm
Which one of you pussies is Logan Ingalls?

~Paul
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: R-Machine on February 06, 2006, 07:25:56 pm
This arc has been super awesome, and I can't wait to see where it will go. However, one thing has been bothering me. Three thousand men (cats) are about to beat the crap out of each other over three days along with turkey-chomping and brandy-guzzling. Where the hell is Lyle?
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Golfhaus on February 06, 2006, 07:33:33 pm
The dude who registered the domain name (http://greatoutdoorfight.com) is pussing out now:
Fuck you Logan Ingalls!

The excuse is pretty lame - saying he didn't have the web skill to pull it off when he was already about 85% of the way there.

I bet someone got to him and told him to pull it.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 06, 2006, 08:18:25 pm
Why does everyone want Ray AND Beef AND NOW Lyle involved in this thing?  The Great Outdoor Fight is like Thunderdome to the 11th power, and there ain't no way two (or three!) men (cats!) can leave alive.

SOMEONE WILL HAVE TO DIE.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 06, 2006, 08:35:18 pm
Hey, if Roast Beef can come back I'm pretty sure Lyle could.  Knowing Lyle's style he'd probably have to simply read off of a menu rather than be parted back by AIBO's.

Then again, we've yet to see one of the stuffed animals fully perish and come back, unless you count Teodor and the bottlecap, which I don't.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: littlefox on February 06, 2006, 08:51:15 pm
Agreed, queue. A Lyle-in-the-Great-Beyond sequence could work.

But wait.  Wouldn't Beef have had to qualify (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01312006)?

I feel like Beef is REAL on top of things with the fight, so I bet he has already qualified (maybe in between finding out about the fight and getting on the bike to drive Ray? how much time has passed?).

For some reason, this story arc seems like the kind of thing that would make a really excellent movie. It would start out with the chat sacs, then after a few minutes of that, Ray's mom would be already coming to visit and would drop the bomb 'bout Ray's dad. Awesomeness ensues.
If anybody ever makes an Achewood film (though I hope no one does that - no one could do it well), they should use this arc.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2006, 09:20:38 pm
Hell, let's go for the Tetrahedron of Awesome -- Ray, Beef, Lyle, and Nice Pete. Pat would also be hilarious, all shoving salamis into people's brainpans and yelling about how YOU CAN'T RETURN SOMETHING ONCE IT'S BEEN IN YOUR BRAIN.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2006, 09:33:57 pm
I'd bet on Nice Pete.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Shii on February 06, 2006, 10:36:24 pm
Why does everyone want Ray AND Beef AND NOW Lyle involved in this thing?  The Great Outdoor Fight is like Thunderdome to the 11th power, and there ain't no way two (or three!) men (cats!) can leave alive.
Thunderdome! I knew the "guys riding through the desert on a motorbike towards their death" motif had to come from somewhere.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: lprkn on February 06, 2006, 10:39:59 pm
It ain't Thunderdome without Tina Turner.

Just sayin'.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Formica on February 06, 2006, 11:17:37 pm
Logan whomever should give greatoutdoorfight.com to Onstad, and he should turn it into a wiki like the PA guys did with ELoTH. Let the fans flesh out the history of the Great Outdoor Fight based on what the Strip relates by the end of this story arc.

The Great Outdoor Fight is like the anti-Burning Man. The Great Outdoor Fight could BE at Burning Man.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Emmoh on February 06, 2006, 11:41:57 pm
How awesome was this strip?

So awesome that there has been 3 pages of convo on it in here and not ONE mention of the fact that Beef and Ray are zipping around in a motorcycle with a sidecar!

(That I can see, anyway, y'know, maybe I missed it...)
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: oball on February 07, 2006, 01:31:50 am
I'd bet on Nice Pete.

I don't know about that.  He may be the Dr. J of murdering people, but I don't really see him as a fighter.
Title: Re: Beef... .....are you in the fight? February 06. 2006
Post by: Simms on February 07, 2006, 03:09:23 pm
I think we'll see the true heir of Ramses Luther Smuckles is none other than a Mr. R Beef Kazenzakis.

I think the arc should end with Ramses Luther appearing and telling Beef that he was named Cassandra because he knew he'd have to "get tough or die."

Then it was revealed Ramses Luther was actually Johnny Cash.