The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: spinn on February 08, 2006, 06:45:21 pm

Title: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 08, 2006, 06:45:21 pm
Hi, sorry to just crash in and ask for people to look at my stuff without having been in here already...but I have this humor thing I'm working on, and I'd prefer to first find some people that don't suck. I'm just sort of randomly assuming that Achewood fans are generally above internet-average on my personal humor scale.

So, I'm working on this thing where you can add captions to Japanese commercials. It's currently here (and probably will continue to be):

http://www.jackpendley.com/av1d/

Anyone can enter captions; registered users can vote. It's still not really complete so it might be rough in some places. In particular, I downloaded the scripts that handly user registration/login from somewhere and haven't bothered editing the text to bring it in with the site. I also haven't put any help text anywhere, though I'm pretty sure after a few minutes of clicking buttons n things you can figure out what's going on. There are other interfacey things I'm still working out, but any help or pointers or really funny captions would be appreciated.

It's kinda not really ready for prime time, so I'd like to request that you don't post it around anywhere. Plus, once it get out to the unwashed masses, my numbers are all gonna get skewed.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 06:49:20 pm
Wait, are you the spinn of Scribs/amusing.org fame?
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 08, 2006, 07:14:29 pm
Um. Yes! Since you used "fame" there, I'll take it. Yes.

Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2006, 07:24:30 pm
The Spinn of the DFC?
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 08, 2006, 07:53:41 pm
I'm that person too. I am surprised and happy that someone would even remember.

And apparently I'm also leaking Dr Pepper like a guy with a whole big bucket of Dr Pepper with a hole in it.

Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2006, 07:56:27 pm
I could never forget the DFC.  I still miss it sometimes.  snif
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 07:59:03 pm
OMG!  The DFC was so good.  *pours a 40 for my lost webpage homies*

Welcome Welcome, I will look at your humor thing later; from the homeplace.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 08:32:43 pm
OK, I'll bite. DFC?
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: side_show on February 08, 2006, 08:42:21 pm
Hi Spinn...

I know you must be enjoying the drooling fan boys, but I did actually try out/ sign up for the site.  As you can see from my captions for what I will call "Noodle pu$$y," (185 on the second page o' clips) I made a typo.  I think it would be great to allow your users to edit their captions.  It is otherwise a wonderful idea, and I will enjoy it much-ly.

Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 08:42:35 pm
Dysfunctional Family Circus... it was truly a work of genius.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2006, 08:43:46 pm
OK, I'll bite. DFC?

The Dysfunctional Family Circus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysfunctional_Family_Circus).
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 08:54:26 pm
Ooohhh dear I could see obsessively watching every single one of these. 
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 08, 2006, 09:26:54 pm
Well I registered but I haven't made any yet. I like the idea, seems like it could be very funny.

Side Show yours was funny. I laughed out loud. But I surprised by its dirtiness. Not in a bad way, just surprised.


(woo, 100 posts and now of them were worthwhile!)
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 09:32:11 pm
I can't get Side_show's.  No matter how many times I reload I don't get a clip numbered higher than 184.  Am I a moron?  I mean more than usual?
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 08, 2006, 10:12:56 pm
Note that they're grouped in sets. I'm setting it up such that a given set can eventually be closed after all the useful funny's been sucked out of it. So 185 is presumably in the second set. (I also just added a "most recent 5" list to make this a little easier.)

Yeah, I will be working out editing/deleting at some point. I think I have to make it delete all votes for your entry when you edit it, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. (someone gets voted down badly, makes small edit so it gets bumped back to zero. not sure if that's preferable.)


Though hey, while we're getting all chummy and all, check out Jack Pendley's portfolio while you're there.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 08, 2006, 11:49:32 pm
Hello Greg... I saw your avatar and felt like I had vertigo. Surely, I clicked the correct link on my bookmark folder...?

I had hot chocolate from my mug just the other day. I'll try to pop in the forums sometime soon. And I'll check out this new site after dinner.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 01:33:59 am
A couple were really funny but I feel like I can only watch about 6 at a time before the repetitiveness becomes overwhelming. Especially the really short jumping woman one where everybody is doing XXX in 4 Seconds.

Until I got to the Achewood comic with Jack I thought those were all legit guest shots.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 09, 2006, 02:09:38 am
Hello Greg... I saw your avatar and felt like I had vertigo. Surely, I clicked the correct link on my bookmark folder...?
Heh, yeah, I was on the front page of the forum and saw your name in a post. I did a similar double-take.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: side_show on February 09, 2006, 02:53:33 pm
In an obsessive fan-girl sort of way, I notice many of the captions on your site were composed by "Chris" and instantly thought: "'spinn' is a humour guy, who for whatever reason, choose to post to our message board.  Wait?  Does spinn know Onstad?  Are the captions by the 'Chris' on this page actually the captions of Onstad?"  I couldn't help but wonder.  Why else would you magically pop up here?
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 09, 2006, 03:35:45 pm
Oh, no. Chris is the guy who does hlcomic.com.

I came here because...well, for the reasons I said in the original post.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 03:55:39 pm
Now I'm tempted to see if there's a similar thread at brunchma. But I'm a lazy, lazy man.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: jough on February 09, 2006, 04:48:44 pm
Oh man, I love Concerned (http://www.hlcomic.com/).  I'll have to check out his captions.

Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 09, 2006, 06:16:22 pm
Oh man, I love Concerned (http://www.hlcomic.com/).  I'll have to check out his captions.

+1
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 26, 2006, 05:31:22 am
Late, but not 120 days late: Holy crap, the DFC guy! Rock!
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on February 28, 2006, 05:40:58 am
Late, but not 120 days late: Holy crap, the DFC guy! Rock!

Heh, that's kinda ironic since I just spent a couple aggravating days trying to justify the existence of my website's Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpinnWebe).

But, thanks. My ego dug that.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2006, 10:44:57 pm
Hold up - how on earth could anyone justify deleting that page? I mean, I'm not trying to boil your life down to DFC, but certainly that is seminal internet humor.

Heh, heh.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2006, 11:41:01 pm
Hold up - how on earth could anyone justify deleting that page? I mean, I'm not trying to boil your life down to DFC, but certainly that is seminal internet humor.

Heh, heh.

I think the argument is that DFC is wiki-worthy but Spinneweb itself doesn't deserve a page if the only noteworth thing about it was hosting DFC. I guess this is the problem with giving Scribs, Amusing, &c their own URL's
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on March 01, 2006, 12:56:34 am
Hold up - how on earth could anyone justify deleting that page? I mean, I'm not trying to boil your life down to DFC, but certainly that is seminal internet humor.
The only rational argument against was that SpinnWebe itself wasn't notable, but the DFC was, so SW shouldn't get its own article. But how many web sites got a sidebar in The New Yorker in 1996? Not many, that's how many.

But eh, you know. I know my site's not as popular as it used to be, so whatever. But it was mentioned on the AP wire once and by God that means I win.
Title: Re: Beta test a humor thing?
Post by: spinn on March 15, 2006, 03:43:09 am
Interested parties may note that set 4 is up (four new movies). Whoever Firelily is, he/she is dominating thus far.