The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 08:03:41 pm

Title: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 08:03:41 pm
February 8, 2006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02082006)

Lots of plot detail.  It'll take me a minute to sort it out.

Still Lovin' it...

~Paul
Title: Re: The Other Guy... He's good People
Post by: mrchee on February 08, 2006, 08:05:00 pm
THE_ARMPIT_SWEAT
Title: Re: The Other Guy... He's good People
Post by: Emmoh on February 08, 2006, 08:05:39 pm
While I think the remainder of the arc would have been a lot of fun with Envelope doing color, I love the manner that the plastic surgery gag was worked back in...
Title: Re: The Other Guy... He's good People
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 08:06:31 pm
I was just waiting for someone else to start it, didn't want to blow my load all over the place.  Thank you paul!  A can for you.


Okay, so what I'm most intrigued by is the items on the board.  Is a Wringer something to do with onion rings?  And a Turkey what?   A TURKEY WHAT DAMN YOU?!

Stad also likes the SKRITCH a lot, I have seen that sound effect several times here.

Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Guy... He's good People
Post by: Dr. Sodomy on February 08, 2006, 08:07:02 pm
He ate part of his face.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: bonaparte on February 08, 2006, 08:10:18 pm
it is what it says, queue.  an entire dang old turkey.  for the brandy-soaked feast on the second day.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: trouserbat on February 08, 2006, 08:15:13 pm
So, Ray "ate part of [Envelope's] face."
"The other dude? ...nice guy. He's good people."

Interesting strategy, Mr. Roast Beef.

Anybody else guilty of refreshing way too often in suspense, by the way?
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Emergent_C on February 08, 2006, 08:27:42 pm
Interesting strategy, Mr. Roast Beef.

Yeah, I'm not sure why he's so intent on building advance word of mouth for The Man With Blood On His Hands Part II: This Time It's Personal when he's laying his own ass on the line too.

But there's no getting around the fact you'd have to be the baddest dude in the tri-state area to ride in a fuck*ng sidecar to the Great Outdoor Fight.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 08, 2006, 08:29:18 pm
OH yes! I love this story more and more each day! I love the way Beef is operating. He's a smooth kind of guy and he knows how to play the pieces. Very slick indeed Mr. Beef.  So at this point it's obvious that Beef is taking control from the passenger seat. I'm guessing he's going to pump up Ray as he becomes the right hand man. I'm a little worried about Ray though. There is a high probability of him fuck*ng it up.

The clerk is also amazing. Pit stains (thanks mrchee), a mullet/skullet, aviators, he's perfect! And his expressions, he is damn worried about Ray. Gotta love it. Anyone else notice his arms are really short?
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: sensate on February 08, 2006, 08:31:03 pm
I love how the whole arc seems to be trapped in the 70's. Mustaches, hairdos, Aviators, sidecars, sideburns, I even think I saw that menuboard every single place when I was a kid.

Also digging on how snack guy mindlessly repeats Beef's phrase with the mnemonic aid of a two-buck tip.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 08:32:00 pm
*Straight from Cola to Whiskey.

*The expression of dawning realization

*Beef making "keep the change, you're good people" sound like a threat

*pitstains

Name four good parts of today's strip.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 08, 2006, 08:34:15 pm
Yeah, I'm not sure why he's so intent on building advance word of mouth for The Man With Blood On His Hands Part II: This Time It's Personal when he's laying his own ass on the line too.

Well, his reasons for building Ray's reputation are pretty clear. He knows it will help Ray win the fight if people see him as a leader going in, and based on a combination of friendship and respect for the fight and Ray's lineage he has decided to help Ray win. What's less clear is why he's building a rep for himself as a nice guy ("good people"); how is that going to help the two of them in the fight? Perhaps someone on this board is really good at strategy (people will not even play chess with you anymore; you have never lost at Battleship) and can tell us what's what.

I like this strip!
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Emmoh on February 08, 2006, 08:34:59 pm
Honorable mention has to go to the Ray using the phrase "hot dog chef" referring to the concession stand clerk...
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 08:35:13 pm
Man, when Onstad says he's going to post a strip at noon, you damn well better be there at noon.  What? we got like 50 people logged in right now...

~Paul

Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 08, 2006, 08:36:41 pm
Well, his reasons for building Ray's reputation are pretty clear. He knows it will help Ray win the fight if people see him as a leader going in, and based on a combination of friendship and respect for the fight and Ray's lineage he has decided to help Ray win. What's less clear is why he's building a rep for himself as a nice guy ("good people"); how is that going to help the two of them in the fight? Perhaps someone on this board is really good at strategy (people will not even play chess with you anymore; you have never lost at Battleship) and can tell us what's what.

I like this strip!

Good cop bad cop.

The intent: Beef the Baptist, he is the gateway to get others to follow Ray.
The outcome:  People will ally with Ray out of fear, but once Ray is in a position to assume supremacy, people will go for Beef as an alternative.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 08, 2006, 08:45:15 pm
I don't think the idea of "he's good people" means that Beef is a great guy, you call him when you want to move your furniture around. It means he isn't a crap dude. I have a feeling that there are already alliances being made and Hot Dog Chef is telling the boys that Beef is alright, maybe "one of them".
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 08, 2006, 08:46:23 pm
Don't forget the great meta-text: "This strip relies heavily on the Gossipy Hot Dog Chef archetype"

And I think the turkey item is a "turkey leg".
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 08, 2006, 08:46:52 pm
Good cop bad cop.
The intent: Beef the Baptist, he is the gateway to get others to follow Ray.
The outcome:  People will ally with Ray out of fear, but once Ray is in a position to assume supremacy, people will go for Beef as an alternative.

Makes sense. So you think Beef's plan will backfire? It's hard to see this ending well for Ray, but Beef does really seem to know what he's doing. Also, Bobby, please try and end every post with the phrase "SYNTAX ERROR" -- sometimes that rheumatron post makes me laugh out of the blue when I'm doing such as driving home from work or brushing my teeth.

Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 08:50:35 pm
And I think the turkey item is a "turkey leg".

I dunno, I kinda hope it's the entire turkey like bonaparte said.  Like a leg is for Cape Wearin' Types, these guys eat the whole damn turkey.


And then maybe a nap?  Too much turkey and all that.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2006, 08:51:26 pm
I think I prefer not knowing what all the menu items are. Seriously, a "Tri-Tip?" Best to leave it a mystery.

Great strip, great setup. This storyline just keeps getting better and better... I'm waiting to see what comes of this Gossipy Hot Dog Chef interlude. Also, loving the weird, sketchy style on the building; it looks great and adds some real atmosphere.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 08, 2006, 08:51:54 pm
I don't think the idea of "he's good people" means that Beef is a great guy, you call him when you want to move your furniture around. It means he isn't a crap dude. I have a feeling that there are already alliances being made and Hot Dog Chef is telling the boys that Beef is alright, maybe "one of them".

I think it means he is a good guy. Ray is the dude who eats faces; Beef is the dude who leaves a generous tip despite bad service. Thankfully, I think the chance of us coming to blows over this disagreement is about .3%.

Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 08, 2006, 08:55:48 pm
Is it just my browser or is the chef's recollection of Rodney Stubbs considerably grainier/more stylized than the newspaper shot?  Then again, in 1973 everyone was probably fighting on acid.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 08:56:33 pm
I don't think the idea of "he's good people" means that Beef is a great guy, you call him when you want to move your furniture around. It means he isn't a crap dude. I have a feeling that there are already alliances being made and Hot Dog Chef is telling the boys that Beef is alright, maybe "one of them".

I think he's saying Beef is somebody you don't want to fuck with. He's good people so treat him nice. Unless you want bits of your head to know exactly what the digestive process feels like.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 08, 2006, 08:57:57 pm
Makes sense. So you think Beef's plan will backfire? It's hard to see this ending well for Ray, but Beef does really seem to know what he's doing. Also, Bobby, please try and end every post with the phrase "SYNTAX ERROR" -- sometimes that rheumatron post makes me laugh out of the blue when I'm doing such as driving home from work or brushing my teeth.



I have changed my sig JUST FOR YOU.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 08, 2006, 09:01:28 pm
I think it means he is a good guy. Ray is the dude who eats faces; Beef is the dude who leaves a generous tip despite bad service. Thankfully, I think the chance of us coming to blows over this disagreement is about .3%.

I tell you what. You blow me and we call it a day.

Also what did The Dude do to lose cans already? He only has, what, four posts? Man this is a harsh world.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 08, 2006, 09:07:31 pm
I think I might lose more cans because apparently now the picture is no longer grainy, and I was the one having the acid flashback.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: connorbd on February 08, 2006, 09:11:58 pm
I'm surprised nobody is reading this as a backstab-in-progress by Beef. Seems to me what you have here is a case of pumping Ray up to make him a huge target while insuring that he has his own alliances to fall back on when the fight gets rolling.

BTW, a tritip is a West Coast beef roast made from the same cut usually used for making sirloin tips everywhere else in the US. Out here on the East Coast you can get them at Trader Joes... and that's about it really. Very nice cut for marinating and grill roasting.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 09:20:16 pm
I was thinking that Beef might be going the Sirens of Titan route where he makes it appear that Ray is The Man in Charge thus a target while Beef is secretly running the show.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 09:33:45 pm
BTW, a tritip is a West Coast beef roast made from the same cut usually used for making sirloin tips everywhere else in the US. Out here on the East Coast you can get them at Trader Joes... and that's about it really. Very nice cut for marinating and grill roasting.

Education.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: arkabee on February 08, 2006, 09:53:27 pm
i assumed "turkey" was wild turkey.

mmmmmhhhmmm.   turkey.

this is an amazing comic strip.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: sunnystar on February 08, 2006, 10:00:25 pm
My first two points were already mentioned, of course:
1) The creepy mullet pit-stain vendor man.
2) The random unknowns on the menu board.

But is anyone else really worried that something may be not right with the polish Beef bought? I mean, look at that vendor! :shudder:
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Lister on February 08, 2006, 10:07:19 pm
The first rule of Great Outdoor Fight is "Do not question the smelly food vendor."

The second rule of Great Outdoor Fight is "Don't mess with a guy whose last name is a first name and whose first name is a city."

The third rule of Great Outdoor Fight is "The red zone is for loading and unloading only."
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: robot_god on February 08, 2006, 10:10:27 pm
Two bucks for whiskey?  What is this place, heaven?

Oh god, I bet it's Jim Beam.  I guess I couldn't handle the Fight after all.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Mr. Gary on February 08, 2006, 10:35:43 pm
Beef could be backstabbing Ray. The fact that Beef (at least immediately) doesn't tell Ray that he actually did feed Hot Dog Chef (best job title) gossip.

He could also be setting himself up as a liaison between Ray and the outside world. What the assembling fighters have basically seen and heard so far is that Ray ate a prominent fighter's face, is the only son of Rodney Leonard Stubbs, and just ran over a dude. He's only been seen communicating with Beef, and noone else. If Beef keeps himself between the other fighters and Ray as a sort of secretary early on, that only increases the mystery.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 08, 2006, 10:39:04 pm
Beef could be backstabbing Ray. The fact that Beef (at least immediately) doesn't tell Ray that he actually did feed Hot Dog Chef (best job title) gossip.

He could also be setting himself up as a liaison between Ray and the outside world. What the assembling fighters have basically seen and heard so far is that Ray ate a prominent fighter's face, is the only son of Rodney Leonard Stubbs, and just ran over a dude. He's only been seen communicating with Beef, and noone else. If Beef keeps himself between the other fighters and Ray as a sort of secretary early on, that only increases the mystery.

Mystery that can only be intensified by mysterious night reports of Stubbs, Jr. somn-onanizing throughout the camp. As if to show the world that barbs , be they physical or the stinging comments of his peers, cannot hurt his flesh or pride.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: bonaparte on February 08, 2006, 10:48:10 pm
Also, the fact that the hot dog dude calls to "Tower One."  The idea of the Acres having (presumably) more than one Tower watching over the GOF, along with the razorwire fence, is just making this seem so much more mad, like Attica prison riot meets Lord of the Flies meets a microcosm of the first 10,000 years of human history condensed into three days.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: jough on February 08, 2006, 11:09:40 pm
The Great Outdoor Fight is Burning Man for the Burly Man.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Golfhaus on February 08, 2006, 11:24:37 pm
I'd go to Burning Man if it had ten-foot fences with barbed wire...

...and $2 whiskey.

That menu board reads like the best Fourth of July picnic ever.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: sensate on February 09, 2006, 12:24:00 am
I just realized something. Rodney Leonard Stubbs was a badass, THE badass. I'll bet he got a lot of action. And he was (?) a cat. It's hard to have only one son in a single litter, and he was probably leaving 'em all over town. Either Ray's got scores of half-sisters, or Rodney was just this side of sterile.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 12:42:06 am
I just realized something. Rodney Leonard Stubbs was a badass, THE badass. I'll bet he got a lot of action. And he was (?) a cat. It's hard to have only one son in a single litter, and he was probably leaving 'em all over town. Either Ray's got scores of half-sisters, or Rodney was just this side of sterile.

Maybe his lack of booty explains how he was such a good fighter. He had a lot of time to work out and spar.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 09, 2006, 12:52:59 am
I just realized something. Rodney Leonard Stubbs was a badass, THE badass. I'll bet he got a lot of action. And he was (?) a cat. It's hard to have only one son in a single litter, and he was probably leaving 'em all over town. Either Ray's got scores of half-sisters, or Rodney was just this side of sterile.

No way man, Ray's dad was a saint. A saint I tells ya! He was an honorable man that loved his wife. I can't see him cheating on her like that.

Quotes from Achewood regarding Ramses Luther from Ms. Smuckles:
"He would take me to the bars out in the avenues...and stand up to some of the rudest characters you ever saw." presumable standing up for his wife.
"...he was much too much of a gentleman to ever fight in front of a lady."
"...he took me to Bakersfield on his motorcycle and he won the GOF."

I think that describes him as a man of character and strong values. He dosn't seem like the type to break a woman's heart if he loved her.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: filas on February 09, 2006, 12:57:11 am
I'm surprised nobody is reading this as a backstab-in-progress by Beef. Seems to me what you have here is a case of pumping Ray up to make him a huge target while insuring that he has his own alliances to fall back on when the fight gets rolling.

i have three, well four, ideas about the arc:

1.  Beef is using Ray as a Leader, but the backstab can't happen until the very end.  what does Beef know that all others don't?  that Ray is a big fake.  that's Beef's advantage (with Ray's dependence) so he's got to ride it for it's maximum value.  

2.  as Beef said, its rumored that the Leaders don't really fight on the second day, so maybe Ray does get taken out on the first day, advancing Beef to day three when Beef takes over the army.

3.  Ray, in character, wins the fight because of perverse luck.

four:  Onstad keeps his streak alive and suprises me like always while i giggle and drool.  I LOVE this arc

i cannot wait to find out their fight names.  Cassandra Roast Beef = Canadian Ribeye Ben;  Raymond Smuckles = Romper-Stomper

##### - jim beam is excellent for the price.  
emergen c - big shots have drivers, unless they are tormented loners, so it makes sense to ride sidecar in this case

Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: LCB on February 09, 2006, 01:06:56 am
This is like something you'd see in a Direct-to-video action movie with a decent budget, a hand-to-hand melee on a grand scale with jaded, wealthy thrill-seekers putting bets on who will win. But instead of say, some kickboxing ex-Special Forces type forced to fight on behalf of one of these thrill-seekers, we've got two guys determined to be the winners, to test their mettle and emerge victorious in this vicious contest, like Van Damme in Bloodsport.


Roast Beef Kanzakis and Ray Smuckles in

FATAL COMBAT II: AN APPROPRIATE SUBTITLE WITH A WORD LIKE FURY OR BLOOD IN IT
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 01:37:34 am
Roast Beef Kanzakis and Ray Smuckles in

FATAL COMBAT II: AN APPROPRIATE SUBTITLE WITH A WORD LIKE FURY OR BLOOD IN IT

I can see this working. But they'll need some kind of special move. Does anybody remember if either of them have ever shot fireballs or anything?
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: sensate on February 09, 2006, 02:04:23 am
I just though of something else. When Beef responded "Oh necessarily" to Ray's request that he be his roadie, I at first thought he just wanted to be close to the action, to see his best friend's American Royalty in action. He looked so jazzed about the fact Ray was Stubbs' son. But now it feels a lot more like Beef at that point realized that there was no way he could talk Ray out of going. The necessity was to keep Ray from getting killed.

When this is all over, I hope Onstad puts up the 2006 Results Bulletin.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: sam_spade on February 09, 2006, 02:38:43 am
If I was in the fight, I'd have a fake hand with a two-foot spike that's also a Tazer gatling setup (continuous 10,000 volt delivery system).  I'd do great until I run out of juice.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: jcreed on February 09, 2006, 02:48:25 am
.... What's less clear is why he's building a rep for himself as a nice guy ("good people"); how is that going to help the two of them in the fight? ...

Oh, it's clear why Beef is putting on this act. Just think about it. Up until Beef, with this very arc, starting giving him a run for his money, Nice Pete was unquestionably the most edge-away-slowly freakin' crazy bad-ass character in the strip. What did it? Not the serial murdering. It was the niceness on top of it. A man who runs over Doyle Headley with a motorbike, well, you stay out of his way. A man who runs over Doyle Headley on a motorbike and makes a point of leaving you five bucks for a Polish sausage, and calls you "amigo" - what the shit do you do about that? These actions convey that a man has decided on his own rules for life: rules that he will not tell you about, and leave you to guess them... or die trying.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Shii on February 09, 2006, 03:32:49 am
I know this gossipy hot dog chef archetype well. Actually I'm thinking of the gossipy root beer stand proprietor from Borgel, but they are basically the same thing.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: LCB on February 09, 2006, 03:37:58 am
Also, the quiet and polite guy is going to make a different impression on those who know better than a some guy, full of the cheap barroom brawler braggadacio that some mistake for manliness and true machismo, who thumps his chest and draws attention to himself loudly.

You're going to keep you're eye on the quiet one. Cause maybe, he's really confident. Because he's that good and doesn't need to show off. Because he is truly capital-C Cool.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2006, 03:46:43 am
Oh man this story arc is so good it's causing speculation.  Speculation I tell you.

~Paul
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: jough on February 09, 2006, 04:36:38 am
You guys who are trying to predict the outcome are getting it all wrong.  Tomorrow there won't be a strip (because it's Thursday) and then Friday will just be Fun Facts with Philippe and then next week there will be a new thread.  I mean, wouldn't THAT be just like Onstad?
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Hobot on February 09, 2006, 05:38:42 pm
1.) Is that a shotgun the Hot Dog Chef is wielding in panel one?

2.) "You're good people" reminds me of Flannery O'Connor's short story, "Good Country People."  This heightens the creepiness level of the strip considerably.

3.)
If I was in the fight, I'd have a fake hand with a two-foot spike that's also a Tazer gatling setup (continuous 10,000 volt delivery system).  I'd do great until I run out of juice.

BOARD WITH A NAIL THROUGH IT:
(http://www.actionfig.com/simpsons/board_with_nail.jpg)

Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: AugustWest on February 09, 2006, 05:52:37 pm

2.) "You're good people" reminds me of Flannery O'Connor's short story, "Good Country People."  This heightens the creepiness level of the strip considerably.


Now I must steal your wooden leg.

It's bad when you rip your ownself off. 

Post 3333!
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Hobot on February 09, 2006, 06:01:51 pm
Now I must steal your wooden leg.

From now on I shall know you as Manley Pointer.
Title: Re: February 8, 2006- The Other Dude? He's good People
Post by: Golfhaus on February 09, 2006, 07:27:27 pm
You guys who are trying to predict the outcome are getting it all wrong.  Tomorrow there won't be a strip (because it's Thursday) and then Friday will just be Fun Facts with Philippe and then next week there will be a new thread.  I mean, wouldn't THAT be just like Onstad?

All Ray and Roast Beef sitting at the TV talking about sitcoms; all blog entry late next week saying "Beef and I tried to do a thing but it didn't work out."