The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2006, 11:46:59 pm
-
Cheney "accidentally" shoots friend (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060212/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident).
~Paul
-
Accidentally or not, most people who shoot people get arrested, or at least investigated, no?
I would love to find out they'd had a couple brews beforehand. Dick Cheney's presence is really the main reason most of us haven't called for impeachment yet.
-
A similar incident happened in my family years ago, resulting in the death of a friend of a very close relative of mine, at the hands of my relative. He wasn't arrested or investigated or anything. He, of course, is still haunted by it to this day. He's also one of the finest people I know.
That said, Cheney's such a crap dude.
-
Whittington "came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself," Armstrong said.
So really it was his own fault, that's what they're getting at right? Stupid careless hunter not making a bunch of noise while they were approaching easily frightened birds.
"The vice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by god, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."
Isn't this a bit too flippant? I don't think 'By Jove, he got peppered pretty good' is what I'd want to hear after someone shot me in the face.
I mean sure the guy sounds ok, but damn couldn't they have got someone who sounds a bit less of a hick to let everyone know what's going on?
Edit: While I'm ranting couldn't they have picked a better picture (http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060212/capt.13e316d126974192a699bf8b1bb19ab7.cheney_hunting_accident_ny112.jpg?x=180&y=241&sig=A0223U7tfSlxOP6luYhGGA--)?
I'm kind of half convinced that Cheney is actually a morally pure force for good in the world but just has a bad rap because he suffers from an ancient curse that makes it impossible for him to look non-evil on film.
-
me:Cheney always has that sneer on his face... I can't stand it. He looks like he's up to something. It's terrifying.
a kid in my US Gov. Class: That's why I love him so much!
this is a kid who unironically sings the "America (Fuck Yeah)" song from Team America. Like.... I'm not sure if he realizes that it's a joke.
best part of that: he's a really smart kid. he's the type who says "the gays are ruining america!", and then has memorized all these statistics and details that make it sound reasonable.
but really... Cheney: He exercises his 2nd amendment rights so that you won't have to! (or want to)
-
I think Cheney was playing The Most Dangerous Game. (http://www.classicreader.com/read.php/sid.6/bookid.1317/)
~Paul
-
Isn't this a bit too flippant? I don't think 'By Jove, he got peppered pretty good' is what I'd want to hear after someone shot me in the face.
I hate to come to the defense of anyone even associated with Cheney, but it's actually not that flippant. Getting "peppered" is what it's called, not just by hicks, when hit at a distance by shotgun pellets. Because 28-gauge shotguns are not meant for shooting targets from any sort of distance, it's really not that serious to get hit by them from afar. Further, the ammo they were using is called birdshot, which are very small pellets.
For those of us non-hunters (me included), when we hear "shotgun" we immediately picture The Terminator, either on foot or on a motorcycle, blowing giant holes in trucks, liquid metal *****s, or the kneecaps of police officers. However, while Cheney is, we all suspect, at least 75% *****, the weapon and ammo he was using is not very powerful and not very useful for destroying assassin *****s or conservative lawyers. Obviously you don't want to get hit in the eye, groin, or any sort of orifice, but otherwise it's no big deal. Note that the article has to mention explicitly that his skin was pierced, because very often it won't be. Some people -- in this case, yes, hicks only -- even play a game, with lots of different names but sometimes called "Pepper," where they stand very far apart and shoot each other.
Still: the vice-president just shot a dude. That is pretty funny.
-
Thanks, Biz. What I was gonna say exactly. Also, When birds flush they fly - my guess is the bird Cheney was tracking didn't go up but in the direction of the unfortunate guy who got shot - so, imagine, you're eyes are fixed on this bush with birds in it, they flush, and you start tracking a bird that is gonna go in a random direction. The bird goes not up but left. so you are tracking left with a long gun and pull the trigger - the shot comes out in a spreading cloud and some hit the unfortunate guy who didn't tell you he walked up into your field of fire.
I imagine they pulled most of the shot out out of his clothes and the first layer of skin unless he was close enough to get burnt by the muzzle flash or have some hearing damage from the report.
Lucky they were just shooting at tiny little birds.
-
Y'all are making the fact that he shot a dude less funny by explaining how shooting birds actually works!
Although, it is a learning experience and I enjoyed hearing about it as I don't know much about shooting a gun or its specifics.
education.
-
The best part was the retarded questions coming out of the white house press corps. Remember, these people are supposed to be representing you, the American people:
- Will Vice President Cheney be submitting his resignation, or has he submitted his resignation?
- Would this be considered more serious had the other man been killed?
And people wonder why the media isn't taken seriously anymore.
-
Yeah.. it might be taken more seriously if this Presidency actually didn't hand pick the Press Corps it chooses to answer/allow in.
-
The best part was the retarded questions coming out of the white house press corps. Remember, these people are supposed to be representing you, the American people:
Hey, wait! I never voted for this! Currently, I'm represented by Jim Matheson (who is "working for Utah's Second District." Thanks, Jim!), among others.
- Will Vice President Cheney be submitting his resignation, or has he submitted his resignation?
- Would this be considered more serious had the other man been killed?
Are you serious? I mean, these questions weren't really asked, were they? Shit, I know the answers.
- No. Are you fuck*ng stupid or something? He gets away with much worse shit than this, almost daily.
- Yes, your fuck*ng moron. In that case someone would have died, which is clearly more serious than a minor injury.
And the White House pays someone a really good salary to field questions like these.
Also, thanks Dawg, for using that list feature. I never knew it existed.
-
me:Cheney always has that sneer on his face... I can't stand it. He looks like he's up to something. It's terrifying.
a kid in my US Gov. Class: That's why I love him so much!
this is a kid who unironically sings the "America (Fuck Yeah)" song from Team America. Like.... I'm not sure if he realizes that it's a joke.
best part of that: he's a really smart kid. he's the type who says "the gays are ruining america!", and then has memorized all these statistics and details that make it sound reasonable.
but really... Cheney: He exercises his 2nd amendment rights so that you won't have to! (or want to)
I had a kid exactly like that in my AP US Government class last year. Now he's at Princeton.
He suggested to my teacher we fix the illegal immigration problem by taking a class field trip to the Mexico border - with shotguns.
-
Thanks to Biz and AD for the explaining. I did understand it wasn't that serious but didn't realise 'peppering' was actually a word, as opposed to a nice way to avoid saying 'he shot a guy'.
-
Thanks to Biz and AD for the explaining. I did understand it wasn't that serious but didn't realise 'peppering' was actually a word, as opposed to a nice way to avoid saying 'he shot a guy'.
"Paprika-ing," on the other hand, means to mow someone the fuck down.
-
"Paprika-ing," on the other hand, means to mow someone the fuck down.
Hey Hobot, this is why you got nominated. Being a hot lesbian in and of itself isn't enough anymore. You gotta bring the funny too.
~Paul
-
The dude was wearing bright orange and Cheney shot his ass in the face anyway.
That's fuck*ng hardcore, even for a Republican, man.
-
On the other hand, when is lawyer season in Texas? Is the bag limit by poundage or by the each?
-
Being a hot lesbian in and of itself isn't enough anymore.
That's us, always raising the bar.
-
Gotta reach for that rainbow.
-
Gotta reach for that rainbow.
I prefer to taste the rainbow.
Yeah.. I said it. I went there.
-
shot his ass in the face
??? ACK! Anatomical idiom overload!!!
-
shot his ass in the face anyway.
??? ACK! Anatomical idiom overload!!!
Well he was a lawyer and a republican.
~Paul
-
I prefer to taste the rainbow.
Yeah.. I said it. I went there.
I have a tiny, handmade sticker on my door that says, "Smith College: Taste the Rainbow."
-
WOOO! GO Rainbow Warriors!!
You know what I'm talking about AD.
-
June Jones made them get rid of the Rainbow part for the football team, so it's just Warriors officially although colloquially they refer to them as the 'Bows.
Personally I think this small island makes far too much of their football team. I mean, winning home games here against teams like Michigan State isn't that big a deal when the other team has to travel 12 hours to get here by plane.
The real deal is the women's volleyball. The Rainbow Wahine can definitely play.
-
I have a tiny, handmade sticker on my door that says, "Smith College: Taste the Rainbow."
I would like to say that I believe that this was the first time in the history of the Internet that I wanted to make a post using a smilie, in fact, consisting just of a smilie. But the board let me down by not providing the appropriate Chagrined Moaning expression that I needed.
(Secondary note on board software: does not recognize 'smilie' as being identical to the version of that word ending in -ey.)
-
Edit: While I'm ranting couldn't they have picked a better picture (http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060212/capt.13e316d126974192a699bf8b1bb19ab7.cheney_hunting_accident_ny112.jpg?x=180&y=241&sig=A0223U7tfSlxOP6luYhGGA--)?
No. No, they couldn't. Because Cheney looks like that in every picture ever taken of him.
All the spin around this annoys me (big surprise there, right?). It was the victim's fault, it wasn't that bad, blah blah blah. The only official word from Cheney's office is that he paid for his hunting license. Jesus, just say "I accidentally shot a guy, I feel terrible, I hope he gets better." Is that so hard? What was all that about honor and dignity and personal responsibility?
-
The TV news states that this makes Dick Cheney the first sitting vice president to shoot another man since Aaron Burr.
I like it when factoids such as that one are generated.
-
All the spin around this annoys me (big surprise there, right?). It was the victim's fault, it wasn't that bad, blah blah blah. The only official word from Cheney's office is that he paid for his hunting license. Jesus, just say "I accidentally shot a guy, I feel terrible, I hope he gets better." Is that so hard? What was all that about honor and dignity and personal responsibility?
Yeah, what's amusing about the whole situation is that no one really seems sure whether to treat it as a scandal. So the news corps sort of awkwardly ask questions that are either oddly intense or oddly irrelevant, and the Cheney reps hesitantly defend him with the same sort of look on their faces that you see celebrities get when they're not sure if they're being Punk'd.
American media has such a rigid structuring logic that when something just sort of weird happens, like Cheney shooting some dude, or Bush choking on a pretzel, the whole system turns on itself and nobody's sure when to be ironic and when to accuse someone of conspiracy.
-
Did I miss something or has no one mentioned that the guy Cheney shot had a heart attack because of a pellet that was lodged in his heart?! How's that for news on the situation?
I can see the headlines now....can you imagine if he died?! What would they say?!
-
They had asked for body armor prior to the trip, but Rumsfeld said no.
Edit: Take a gander at this. Since I work in security, I printed it out and taped it up on the wall around various other bulletins.
(http://pointlesswasteoftime.com/archive/06021401.jpg)
-
Jeepers can you make a full version and post it on here for others to print off? There are lots of fliers posting in my dorm and this would make a funny addition.
-
Jeepers can you make a full version and post it on here for others to print off? There are lots of fliers posting in my dorm and this would make a funny addition.
Seconded.
-
Wait, he's black?
-
(http://wordfront.com/images/shirts/cheney.gif)
Rejected shirt idea.
-
"peppering".
"birdshot".
I would like to find someone who was "peppered" by "birdshot", and ask them if they refer to what happened to themselves
as "peppering" or "being shot".
--
The Vice President of The United States of America shot a 78(?) year old man in the Face and Chest. The 78(?) year old man approached the Vice President of The United States of America from behind. The Vice President of The United States of America turned 180 degrees and shot the man.
The Vice President of The United States of America, who has had considerable heart problems (and is on heart medication) to the point of having a contigent of medical professionals around at all times, had "beer and BBQ" earlier in the day prior to shooting a 78(?) year old man in the face and chest.
If you ignore that The Vice President of The United States of America was involved,
I don't know of a SINGLE hunter who would say that the mistake that was made
was made by the SHOOTER.
How, though, do you ignore that The Vice President of The United States of America was involved?
AlohaDawg,
I'm honestly confused by your reaction to the press corps' questions.
If I was the second most important person in regards to guaranteeing your family's safety at a National Level,
and I shot an elderly man in the face due to irresponsible behavior,
are you telling me that you would not question my remaining in a position of authority in regards
to your familiy's safety?
If I had accidentally shot a man, a man i knew and was aquainted with, and i knew that it was my fault,
becuase I made a mistake,
as long as that man's life remained in question, as long as he lay in the balance between life and death AT MY HANDS,
I wouldn't be able to do my piddling job, let alone look after the Best Interests of some 250+ MILLION people.
OBVIOUSLY, i am far different than The Vice President of The United States of America.
-
OBVIOUSLY, i am far different than The Vice President of The United States of America.
As am I. Obviously.
Since neither of us are in neither position, though, it's tough to speculate on what he should do or what's best.
I do think the question asking "whether it would have been more serious had the man died" is stupid on its face regardless of who is involved in the incident.
-
Thanks to Arkabee for nicely enunciating what was giving me a bad feeling about this. It's not that Cheney shot a guy, it was almost certainly an accident (as much as I like to concoct bizzare scenarios and reasons why it might not have been) and I doubt any real evidence of fault will attach itself to Cheney, but the feeling that there will be attempt to just kind of sweep this under the carpet and ignore it is a touch worrying. The guy is in an ICU and if Cheney is still at least 50% human (the rest being 20 percent blind patriotism and 30 percent *****) he probably won't be in a great state to actually do his job. When I'm not at uni I work at a petrol station and if I shot a guy I'd take a few days off. My job is not as important as the vice president of america's.
Actually too much of this post is fuelled by paranoia since those in quesiton haven't actually said too much on the matter yet (probably another reason for the wide range of reactions).
Oh the press are still total bozos though.
-
As am I. Obviously.
Since neither of us are in neither position, though, it's tough to speculate on what he should do or what's best.
I do think the question asking "whether it would have been more serious had the man died" is stupid on its face regardless of who is involved in the incident.
Why is it a stupid question? because you already know the answer?
i find it sad that i DON'T know the answer. more importantly, i find it sad that i don't know how the Executive Branch of my country interprets the word "serious" in that question.
also,
did the reporter ask that stupid question before or after Press Secretary Scott McClellan starting making jokes (what i would interpret to be "un-serious") about the situation wherein the Vice President shot a 78(?) yearl old man?
because if the reporter asked AFTERWARDS, it certainly doesn't seem like a stupid question to me.
And 'Dawg,
if i'm being an ass to you, call me on it. i'm not trying to be an ass to you. i respect you. i'm asking because i want to understand, because i do respect you and i do not understand your position on this. i'm just getting hotter and hotter, though, the more i look into it. i guess i'm pretty angry, and i am trying very hard to NOT let my anger at something over _there_ come out at you, becase you have nothing to do with what i'm angry at.
but, like, monkey brane and lizard brane don't get along all the time.
--
shit, i'm just getting more and more steamed. i gotta go to bed.
but, before, i just gotta vent:
consensual, sexual relations are WORSE than shooting an elderly man in the face and chest with a shotgun.
-
Ark: I think AD's statement about the question being stupid is because it is hard (for me at least) to imagine a situation where the answer could be anything but 'yes' and so it is a question that doesn't really need to be asked.
That said I've only heard that question by itself, out of context, so there may be a reason it was asked I am unaware of.
EDIT: I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing so just to be clear the question I am referring to is "would it have been more serious if he died."
-
Arkabee, yes, Whittington (the man peppered by birdshot) is 78. If you need confirmation, ask. If you mean to use an interrobang (?!), by all means, use an interrobang.
Dawg, Arkabee is implying a very serious and fairly important question.
All, here's his question, more plainly and verbosely: Should you find yourself in the same situation (position, power, pacemaker, and party), would you be behaving in the same manner, or would you have made a different choice? Say, by reporting to the public immediately what happened, via the nearest channel (local TV, perhaps)? Say, by recognizing how much more drastically beer can affect you after four heart attacks and three heart surgeries, and declining to imbibe before handling a firearm? Say, by choosing to hunt quail in the wild instead of those raised in pens with clipped wings (as hunting should be as much about the friendship and bonding among hunting as about the kill, considering the comparative state of fresh meat availability in this country)?
Would you then consider the possibilities that perhaps you hunted for the wrong reason(s), made a bad beverage choice, failed to alert those you serve, and would you then in following consider the fact that you are a heartbeat away from the most important, influential, and powerful job in the world, and might you find that in consideration of the behavior you may or may not but appear to have exhibited, you may not in fact be fit to serve the three hundred million citizens of this country in such a capacity?
Remove the power, and pacemaker. Change the party and job to, say, Green County Commissioner, or Reform State House Representative, or Democrat Minority Leader. What now?
Please, please, take note that I'm neither insulting the man nor respecting the conspiracy theories surrounding the event. How do you answer, Acheheads?
The followup question I now pose: How would the current administration probably direct or insist a Libertarian County Commissioner, Democrat State House Representative, or Republican Secretary of the Interior to behave following the same incident?
-
Choop, without knowing the full story I think (assuming I was in his condition, including being into the whole hunting thing and such) that I would have probably acted in a similar way. I would want to make sure the dude was being properly taken care of before I went and told the press 'Hey I shot a guy!' and I don't think the fact that he was kicking back with some buddies (though it may have been in an irresponsible way, I don't know) is necessarily an indication that he is unfit for office. However I probably would, depending on how the situation developed, take some time off as I said above. This is pretty much how I would react were I a local representative, or were I me or were I a hobo (though I would probably not bother with the press release in these last two cases).
My gut reaction with your follow up question is that they'd be all over that guy like white on rice, but then I am a cynical little bullshit of a man and I think its important to remember that 'what they should do' really shouldn't have an affect on 'what we should do' though i don't really think that's what you are saying.
I'd like some input on my thinking on this next part, not being in your country and all.
When i first heard this, without knowing all the details, my original thought was more or less, 'So Cheney killed a guy, he'll probably get off without even an investigation, I guess that's how the world works.' I think part of the weird reactions we are getting come about because other people thought this way and what they want re-assurance of now is that it wouldn't have happened like that.
I think what people want to know isn't 'Would it have been more serious if you killed the guy.' as much as 'It would have been more serious if you'd killed the guy, right? right?'.
But then maybe thats all just in my head.
-
Personally I'm finding it hard to get terribly worked up about this. It was an accident. They didn't tell the public until they were caught. That's SOP for this administration. Cheney and his cronies are crap dudes. This is not news. However, this is among the least crappy of the crappy things he's done.
Wouldn't it be ironic if Cheney took a fall for an accident after all the sinister and downright evil stuff he has intentionally done?
-
I don't know where its from but I'm reminded of a quote about people not being able to wrap their heads around the big evils so they'll just go with it but they get hell of judgemental about the little ones. Which explains current affairs shows (not sure if they are called in over there or what).
-
Oh, man, I accidentally shoot people all the damn time. It ain't no thing.
Cheney shoots *one* guy and everybody's up his ass about it. That shit just ain't right.
-
Doc, thanks for catching that I wasn't asking any "should" questions. Second, Doc, "current affairs" shows have been called "news shows" (even though they're full of pundits and opinion) for about as long as the Fox News channel has been on the air. Aug, I wouldn't be worked up if I didn't think it was a pattern-of-behavior type thing.
It's my opinion that this administration has gotten away with much worse crimes than hunting accidents (which are rarely crimes, unless iirc hunting licenses are in question or alchohol is involved), and yes, it would be hilariously ironic if the consipracy theorists were vindicated by the veep going down for this.
I have to say, first and foremost obviously the priority is getting appropriate care for the victim. Secondly, and only because of the nature of the shooter's position, would be to inform the public, and personally at that, that such an event had happend (the 2nd VP in the history of the US to shoot a person, and the first since Aaron Burr?!). Third, to inform the President, due to the fact that he's his only boss, that a week or two might be needed to both aid in the victim's recovery from the injury and recover from the shock of the incident, as well as put on notice that until that time has elapsed, the Speaker of the House should be considered #2 in the line of succession. Fourth, and finally, a terrible night's rest.
I completely agree with Auggie's statement re: "SOP for this administration." You missed a very important part of that SOP though, which is to contest that the accused behavior isn't illegitimate in the first place (ref. tapping, torture, rendition, etc.).
At least in the 70's when we caught the Prez breaking the law we had the balls and power to do something about it. What the hell has happened to this country? We don't even protest when we believe election fraud has occurred, for $Deity's sake! That does it, I guess. Im'a hafta quit my job and become an activist.
-
The title of this thread reminds me of a scene from Michael Moore's short lived TV show, "The Awful Truth."
If memory serves me correctly the original line, during the witch hunt scene was, "Orrin Hatch killed a man just to watch him die!"
My friends and I would quote that from time to time because of the absurdity of it all, never thinking that it might actually play out. All of the sudden, I'm forced into questioning Bush's "choking on the pretzel" of 3 or 4 years ago . . .
-
John Stewart: "it's pretty exciting that the press corps. finally has something it can really sink it's teeth into."
Fake reporter: "I know. this whole story just doesn't add up... I mean, if he was shot, why are there about 40 pellets? I believe that 39 additional shooters were involved.
I think this scandal may go all the way to... *looks around* the vice-president of the United States."
Also:
*woman asks another annoying question, and the clip cuts her off partway through*
"thankfully, president Cheney ended that line of questioning by shooting that woman in the face, neck, and upper torso"
-
I completely agree with Auggie's statement re: "SOP for this administration."
this is what's killing me,
it's not that it's SOP for the Executive Branch,
it's SOP for EVERYfuck*ngTHING.
maybe it's just birthday bullshit,
but it's like year after year the public accepts more and more shit
as "normal".
"oh ya, honey,
the Vice President shooting a man is
The New Normal,
we don't even need to talk about Illegal Accounting Practices in Corporations that Provide Utility Power to Gigantic Population Centrers,
that's just _so_ last year".
what. the. fuck.???
each year,
the bar get's lowered,
and i shake my head.
repeat,
ad nauseum.
there's no dignity left in the world.
none.
-
Arkabee, how can we help you out of your depression?
~Paul
-
Arkabee, how can we help you out of your depression?
~Paul
NO! I like this version of arkabee! I am like a Japanese fangirl for this ark release. Ranty Ark 4EVER OMGLOL!!!
-
NO! I like this version of arkabee! I am like a Japanese fangirl for this ark release. Ranty Ark 4EVER OMGLOL!!!
Despite Wombat's protest to the contrary, Arkabee is a real person with real feelings. I'm sure were powerless to help, but we should care. You've lost your first can from me Mr. Q...
~Paul
-
Paul Paul Paul,
I'm disappointed you would think I would not care. Is Ark depressed? I don't know. Is he angry at the current state of things. yes.
So I suppose if he's depressed then yes, I agree; I just don't think he is, it is up to him to tell us.
However, have a can anyway, because I am at least happy you provided a reason for your swift and terrible can justice my friend. I bear no ill wills to anyone, it is a happy ranty day.
-
Just to make sure it's clear, you are ALL my imaginary friends, not just Ark. But, well, see my current sig.
-
Why is it a stupid question? because you already know the answer?
i find it sad that i DON'T know the answer. more importantly, i find it sad that i don't know how the Executive Branch of my country interprets the word "serious" in that question.
Ark, I know that you must believe that there is a difference between a man injured accidentally and a man killed.
Also serious is kind of a relative term - serious in terms of Mr Whittington? Serious in terms of impact on wheat imports from Canada? Is this a moral question or a political one? I think the question could be phrased in a way that makes it more answerable, although I think McClellan maybe would have done better just to straight-facedly answer all the questions in the usual, general, vague manner that press secretaries have always answered them.
Because the Vice-President was not doing things related to work at the time, and because what happened was an accident, I don't think there was any coverup. The local news was given this story nearly immediately; the incident occurred on private property; there is no implication of national policy, foreign, domestic, or otherwise being affected in any way here and, therefore, no real reason in my opinion to convene the White House Press Corps.
This is why I don't see this story as much of anything but a report on something that happened that was unfortunate, but given that these men were engaged in a sport involving firearms, and that literally hundreds of people are injured every year doing it, it's not that big a deal (assuming Mr Whittington makes a full recovery, which it seems he will).
Not as big a deal (to my mind) as, say, prosecutable sexual harassment of an intern, lying under oath, or drunk driving and leaving a young woman in the wrecked car to drown while you get your lawyer, PR person, and breath mints all in order. This was a hunting accident with very light weapons, which is a good thing for Mr. Whittington - but still a tragic circumstance which shouldn't happen.
Ark, I take no umbrage with your anger. Your anger is at the administration and it's policies - and the press is falling over itself foolishly trying to make political hay out of this but really, there's nothing there and many people are making fools of themselves trying. It's a trap, though.
Anger is a bad place to be when a situation is a long way out of your control. Channel that into something you can do something about - otherwise it will leave you with bitterness and ulcers.
-
If you're Hispanic, and you accidentally shoot someone in a hunting accident in Texas, you get charged with manslaughter. (http://firedoglake.blogspot.com/2006_02_12_firedoglake_archive.html#113995697605718161)
-
i'm not depressed.
i have not been depressed in quite some time.
if i was younger,
my depression days would have coincided with thje Emo-Lution of pop music,
and with my penchant for dressing poorly,
i would have been a pop icon,
mumbling sad "songs" about girls i never spoke to.
now,
now that i am older, and angrier,
now the days of grunge are gone.
alas.
---
-DELETED-
-
If you're Hispanic, and you accidentally shoot someone in a hunting accident in Texas, you get charged with manslaughter. (http://firedoglake.blogspot.com/2006_02_12_firedoglake_archive.html#113995697605718161)
In most jurisdictions, if a person is killed under other than natural circumstances a case has to be opened. The prosecutor can decide how far to pursue charges and if his decision is predicated on the national origin or heritage of the individual on whom the case is focused, that's obviously wrong.
-
I'm being a bit flip with the racial reference there, but my point is that there's a big disparity between "They mistakenly shot a human being...It's reckless. It's inexcusable," as the sheriff in that story is quoted as saying, and the "It's not really that big a deal, I get shot with pellets all the time, it's the victim's fault for standing behind him" that seems to be coming from some quarters in this case.
-
I have to admit, if VP Cheney actually did wheel around 180 degrees and discharge the weapon (which I've heard one person say) that is pretty much as stupid as asking whether it would have been more serious if Mr Whittington died.
This story is fueled by a lack of facts combined with the nature of a large number of people to automatically disbelieve the administration. We'll know more when Mr Whittington hits the talkshow circuit and/or writes his book.
Edit:
Sheriff's Report (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0216061cheney1.html)
Maybe it's 50/50 walking up behind a hunting party and not announcing yourself and spinning around and shooting behind you without clearing the area first. I'd say both guys made unfortunate errors here.
-
I think there are too many views of this story going around for anyone to make an honest opinion about this situation. But who's talking honest? It's the government.
-
The guy is an 80 year old republican laywer, even if he did die you think anyone who was there is going to say Cheney was negligent? I'm not talking conspiracy, just that no one who would actually be able to give evidence would want to put their buddy the VP in the shit over an accident.
-
I don't know, if my "buddy"'s people went around telling everyone it was my own fault that he SHOT ME IN THE fuck*ng FACE, I don't care if he's the King of England, I'd be pretty pissed off.
-
back of the front page in the Charlotte (north carolina) observer:
"Cheney could face charges if victim dies".
hooorah for investigative journalism.