The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 04:53:11 pm

Title: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 04:53:11 pm
Should we have a thread about what we are doing for Valentine's Day?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 04:59:22 pm
Can you open a thread by asking if you should open a thread?  Doesn't that affect the space...  time... thingy.


Anyway, suffice to say, you do not want to know.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Hobot on February 14, 2006, 05:00:40 pm
Yes we should!

I distributed these Valentines to my closest friends:

(http://dailyrefill.blogs.com/daily/images/choo_1.jpg)

And in Lab I may be working with carcinogens and mutagens again (if I'm lucky)!
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 05:02:26 pm
Anyway, suffice to say, you do not want to know.

Oh, indeed I do.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 05:18:36 pm
My SO is on a cruise for business and won't be back until Sunday. So nothing. She wasn't here for her birthday either, which was Saturday.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 05:21:31 pm
A cruise for business?  On her birthday and Valentine's?  Um, Cort...
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2006, 05:22:12 pm
My SO is on a cruise for business and won't be back until Sunday. So nothing. She wasn't here for her birthday either, which was Saturday.

A "business cruise."  I think you guys need do talk.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 05:24:09 pm
Yeah, not to sound cynical or anything, I'm sure it's all legit.  But the sound you just heard is the sound of the ENTIRE BOARD having red flags pop up at the phrase "business cruise".

I'm just sayin' is all.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 14, 2006, 05:26:55 pm
I got three girls to take care of for Valentine's day.

So today the wife will find flowers in the car which she can take to work; there's nice-but-inexpensive jewelry from Macy's for wife and oldest child, a cute little red dress for youngest child and we all go out to dinner this evening.

Then I assume I got hips to serve.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Hobot on February 14, 2006, 05:35:22 pm

Then I assume I got hips to serve.

I'd say "You da man, 'Dawg!" and commence the leering and thumbs-upping, but really, considering you're a married man with a family, it just seems inappropriate.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2006, 05:48:52 pm
Yeah, not to sound cynical or anything, I'm sure it's all legit.  But the sound you just heard is the sound of the ENTIRE BOARD having red flags pop up at the phrase "business cruise".

I'm just sayin' is all.

Well I admit I was vague on purpose just to see the reactions. This is the 2nd time they've had the cruise but last year it was in the fall. Everybody make sure to subscribe to their mailing list (http://msmagazinecruise.com/) so you can be the first to hear about next year.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: misterqueue on February 14, 2006, 05:51:43 pm
You know... I got a catalog in the mail the other day for Olivia (http://www.olivia.com/).

Despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be invited, what do they know that I do not? 
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2006, 06:17:08 pm
Everybody make sure to subscribe to their mailing list (http://msmagazinecruise.com/) so you can be the first to hear about next year.

Oh look, we're missing the "Special Ms. Feminist Land Excursion to Mayan Ruins."

Um, WTF?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 14, 2006, 07:25:09 pm
Mrs. del Vaca gets chocolates.
Lizzie del Vaca gets Dora stickers.
Catie del Vaca gets to chew on the envelopes from everyone else's cards.  She won't notice that she doesn't get any presents herself.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: theinevitable on February 14, 2006, 09:54:23 pm
I got my girlfriend a cool vintage-ey pin. it is a flower.
also, a wierd little comb. A girl I am friends with said it was a good choice.


Um... beyond that... we'll be at play practice together, i suppose.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 14, 2006, 10:00:16 pm
My SO gets flowers and a hand-crafted leather journal from Italy.  Also I will make CUNT shortcake for her.

Word up, Valentine's Day!
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Doc on February 14, 2006, 11:55:47 pm
I am a crappy little bullshit of a man. I just started a new job and didn't get paid till today, the day *after* valentines day. My girlfriend and I managed to make a little time for lunch yesterday (which was interupted by work calling to see if I could come in that night, which wasn't so bad since she had to work anyway) but we're hoping to do something decent on the weekend. Right now I'm trying to find a flower place near her work that delivers.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Beatrice on February 14, 2006, 11:57:00 pm
i exchanged gifts with the boy last night, and after i finish this paper i'm going to my job to make us a pizza and when he gets off work we will chill and... eat... pizza.        yup!
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2006, 12:19:36 am
OK, here is what I did for Valentine's day.

There is a restaurant in the neighborhood where I have had a terrible crush on the bartender.  Being a person whose social life is mostly on the Internet, of course, I have never spoken to him or sat at the bar.  The spouse and I sit at a table - sometimes, if I am feeling brave and flirtatious, a table very near the bar - and we make sure that the waiter gets this bartender to make our drinks. 

This is the total extent of our relationship for like, two years?  The spouse occassionally threatens to somehow MAKE me sit at the bar. But it has never happened.

So this evening, we are going out for Chinese food.  I have a wicked craving for noodles. But to get there we have to walk past the bartender place.  Where we had not been in a heartbreakingly long time, like, more than two weeks.  So we peered in the window and he was there and somehow we weren't having noodles anymore.

So later on I am drunker than when I started and I think about how it's Valentine's day.  And I think about this really great Waiter Rant blog that I read and how he often tells a story where someone gives him a huge tip and it makes his day.  Because, the thing is, it's not just the money, you know?

So I tell the spouse that I think the bartender needs a very large Valentine's tip especially because we really should have given him a Christmas bonus and didn't.  And we are sitting like five feet from the bar and any normal person would just walk over and give it to him.  But I'm trying to think of how to get the waiter to do it for me instead.  And the spouse is saying, just go over there and bat your eyelashes and I say, shush, because if you egg me on it will have the opposite effect.

So then we're getting our check and I think I've gotten up the nerve.  But the bartender seems to have disappeared.  The spouse is signing the credit card slip.  So to buy time I say I have to go to the bathroom.

On the way back from the ladies room, he's back, at the cash registed counting stuff.  So like any normal person I go over and hand him a twenty and tell him happy valentine's day.  And then, the second best part, I go back to the table and say to spouse, OK I did it we can go.  And he's totally shocked, and he missed it.  And I disappear into the night with a shit-eating grin on my face, pleased all out of proportion to the actual event.

I'm telling you - where do people of normal social skills get to have this kind of excitement?


Edit: Inspired by this story to change my sig.  Dang, I am out of control. This is why I don't usually drink on a work night.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: AugustWest on February 15, 2006, 01:48:49 am
Cards for everybody!
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: miles on February 15, 2006, 02:36:33 am
Isn't that Waiter Rant blog great?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2006, 02:41:45 am
Isn't that Waiter Rant blog great?

Yes. I shoulda gave him a link: http://www.waiterrant.net/ (http://www.waiterrant.net/)
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2006, 02:55:24 am
The SO and I ended up exchanging Kingdom of Loathing loot, sadly enough. We live La Vida Dorka proudly, at least.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: theinevitable on February 15, 2006, 03:26:59 am
wow.
so, the girlfriend blatantly disliked the thing I got her. she tried to hide it after the fact, but that initial face was all I needed.

I went all roast beef. I don't feel the need to go into details.

it is now hidden in my room.

maybe I should bury it in the yard?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2006, 03:37:11 am
Oh, bummer.

I think you should post a picture of it so we can all tell you how nice it is.  But my answer to almost anything is that someone should post a picture.

Give it to the friend who said it was a good idea?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 15, 2006, 03:58:41 am
I don't really have a girlfriend so I didn't do anything.  There's the lady i've been seeing lately, but Valentines day carries a lot of baggage with it, so no.   Besides, i'm stuck in San Antonio anyway so what difference does it make.  I think i'm going to give my Mother a call.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: acoxcae on February 15, 2006, 01:50:09 pm
Well, as long as we're on the subject (the same one the thread started on, 2 pages later!), here's what I (and sunnystar) did for Valentine's day.

She gave me my gift the day before, because I was unhappy (but Futurama volume 1 cheered me right up!).  Today, I gave her the requisite flowers (I put them on the dining room table, which she walked past no fewer than 3 times before noticing - I put things there every time for that reason), and the third season of Will and Grace. 

Later, despite not having made reservations at any of the 3 nice restaurants here (and the third just opened last week!), we went out and I attempted to get us a table.  We were in luck!  I snagged a table at the restaurant where we had our first date, and all was well.  Delicious filet for me, delicious pork loin for the lady, delicious dessert for us both, and then we went home and watched Wallace and Gromit until the evening ended.  A successful V. Day, if I do say so.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 02:04:50 pm

maybe I should bury it in the yard?

Not to mock your pain, but if you do this you will be my personal hero for no less than 1 week.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: sunnystar on February 15, 2006, 02:08:00 pm
Well, acoxcae beat me to our v-day event sharing. But it was indeed a quite successful v-day.

I did give him his gift a day early...but he was pouty and no one should have to deal with that! Plus, I figured only a day early was pretty good considering I gave him part of his christmas gift (a Super Nintendo with several games) somewhere near a month and a half early! (I am bad at waiting!) I was excited about Will & Grace Season 3...although, I don't have Season 2 yet...which brings me to the part he forgot! I bought Will & Grace Season 2 AND the Will & Grace CD Soundtrack for only $26 dollars total (both items and shipping included) on Amazon. I felt pretty successful with that purchase and maybe y'all should be proud of me. :)

And, yes, he was pretty damn lucky to get in to Maize - the restaurant. Lucky for me because my food was delicious, and lucky for him because it saves him from me kicking his ass because he didn't make reservations for v-day in a town where there are far fewer nice and delicious restaurants than there are people to fill them!
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2006, 02:08:11 pm
Last week on the radio the Post's food critic was saying that Valentine's day is actually a really bad time to go to "destination" restaurants. Apparently they tend to use that day to try out new crap on the rubes.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2006, 03:32:55 pm
Yup, you should read Waiter Rant on the subject, you will probably never want to go out on a holiday again.  We only did because forgot it was about to be Valentine's Day, when we finished all the food in the house on Monday.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: acoxcae on February 15, 2006, 03:44:48 pm
I used to be a waiter - fortunately, it wasn't at any place that's a big Valentine's Day draw.  I'm happy waiterrant guy's night turned out good - everything seemed to be fine where we were.

As for going on on Valentine's, well, I had to.  There's just something not that romantic about going out the Friday after and calling it Valentine's dinner, you've got to be out there with the other people, mixing it up.  Fortunately, the place were at wasn't completely nuts, although they did trot out the $60 chef's choice 4-course extravaganza, which I passed on in favor of the normal fare.  I figure, it's pretty much the only time of the year that I'm going to have to fight for a table, so why not?

Plus the ladies like it.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Golfhaus on February 15, 2006, 04:31:50 pm
Holidays depress me, Valentine's Day doubly so. I'm not good at buying gifts, and this year the money's tight. So we're going out to eat later this week (romanticism be damned, Cox!), and last night Sara made chicken marinated in wine and we watched two Iron Chefs. My gift to her was not getting on the computer all night - well, except for once when she was taking the dogs out and I checked to see if there were any curling clubs nearby.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 04:48:51 pm
I'm probably going to sound like the stick-in-the-mud guy, or the condescending guy here but this is the truth.

I didn't go out on Valentines day. I didn't buy my girlfriend anything special. We didn't have romantic dinner. For one thing she is 200 miles north north-east of me but mainly because we both don't like the idea that one should express his/her love more on one day than all the rest. Instead, I make up my own little special days. I just randomly buy her little gifts and it turns out to be more fun and is definitely more of a surprise than a Valentine's Day gift. I mean that's expected. This is a total surprise.

I didn't do anything on Valentine's Day but I can tell you about my weekend before Valentine's Day. Friday we went to an art showing where one of her prints was on display. Saturday we went shopping, saw a movie, eat at THE BEST pizza joint in Akron, went bowling at 12:00 midnight and then called it a night. I should probably add that Saturday's events were spent with not only my girlfriend but also my best-friend. So it was not a real date of any kind. Sunday we played guitar hero and then got all teary because I had to go back to Cincinnati.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2006, 05:06:44 pm
My gift to her was not getting on the computer all night

Oh, I am so going to ask for this next year.

So were there any curling clubs?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2006, 05:28:23 pm
Saturday we went shopping, saw a movie, eat at THE BEST pizza joint in Akron,

Oh, hell no....It's been, like, 20 years since I ate pizza in Akron. So where is the best pizza joint now? (I'm assuming you are talking about Akron, Ohio.)

I was born in Akron.




Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2006, 05:31:55 pm
My SO's birthday is the 11th so we usually do some kind of combined birthday/Valentine's dinner on whichever weekend is closest. This year we were supposed to go to Indique before the snow screwed everything up and made her fly out a day early.

We're now talking about going to Lightfoot in Leesburg again after she gets back.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: sunnystar on February 15, 2006, 06:09:00 pm
Hobo Frenzy wins a can for being a nice romantic guy all year round and not just on designated holidays! Hooray to you! The ladies dig things like that. I should know. I am a lady after all. :) Also, I'm gonna second all the Akron curious people...I have family in that area, what's the best pizza joint? And, for my own curiousity, what movie did you see and how was it? :)
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Golfhaus on February 15, 2006, 07:33:55 pm
Oh, I am so going to ask for this next year.

So were there any curling clubs?

No. Which made me sad. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for weird sports (when the summer Olympics roll around, I'm all about the fencing, the archery, and esp. the team handball), and curling is just weird enough in this area to captivate me. Unlike most of the other sports, though, curling is different in that I know people who have gone curling the way I, say, go bowling on occasion.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: sunnystar on February 15, 2006, 08:43:28 pm
Golfhaus, if you find any place, let me know. I watched this sport the other morning and it intrigued me also. It reminds me of bocce ball or lawn bowling if you may. Which is also a bizarre-ish sport I like a lot.


Yes, I misspelled "bocce"...and I edited for fear of being ridiculed...
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2006, 09:55:18 pm
Curling is a great sport; my father curled when I was a kid, and I spent big swathes of my childhood in the weird, smoky Fairbanks Curling Club, watching my father and his teammates and competitors push huge rocks around. Really, no sport involving huge rocks can go all that far wrong (barring terrible accidents, of course).
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 10:20:51 pm
Oh, hell no....It's been, like, 20 years since I ate pizza in Akron. So where is the best pizza joint now? (I'm assuming you are talking about Akron, Ohio.)

I was born in Akron.

Dude you better know I'm talking about Luigi's Pizza. That is, without a doubt, the best pizza in Akron.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2006, 10:26:11 pm
20 years is a long time, fella. Where is Luigi's? There was this joint right near Akron U we used to go to but I can't remember what it was called.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: jough on February 15, 2006, 10:26:33 pm
My dad is really into curling, especially in the olympics.  He's never curled himself, though.

I'd love to try it. There's actually a league in Philly, but they want like $400 a year and I just want to try it once.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 10:38:00 pm
20 years is a long time, fella. Where is Luigi's? There was this joint right near Akron U we used to go to but I can't remember what it was called.

Here's a nice map showing Luigi's Resurant in relation to the University of Akron.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=105+N+Main+St,+Akron,+OH&ll=41.082327,-81.512761&spn=0.025717,0.053773
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2006, 11:04:08 pm
How close is it to Central-Hower? That looks like approximately the right spot, but the name doesn't sound right. How long has it been there?
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: sunnystar on February 15, 2006, 11:44:12 pm
Mmmm...pizza...this thread is making me hungry!

And I'd eat at any place (well...maybe...) named Luigi's. It's very italian sounding. Plus, I beat Super Mario Bros. a couple days ago, so I'm in that sort of mood.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 11:49:24 pm
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/SkinnyWookie/map.gif (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/SkinnyWookie/map.gif)
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:26:17 pm
I went to an olympic curling event in 2002.  It was a lot of fun.  I wanted to try it for a while, but got over it soon.  The other morning, I awoke hungover with the television on, and watched the US woman's olympic team lose to the Swiss (I think).  I wanted to play it again, if only to have a better chance of meeting the cute girl on the US team.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 07:12:57 pm
Yes. I shoulda gave him a link: http://www.waiterrant.net/ (http://www.waiterrant.net/)

So I hadn't read it for a month or two, and now I'm really hungry.  And not for food in general, but expensive food.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: Golfhaus on February 21, 2006, 02:09:42 am
I went to an olympic curling event in 2002.  It was a lot of fun.  I wanted to try it for a while, but got over it soon.  The other morning, I awoke hungover with the television on, and watched the US woman's olympic team lose to the Swiss (I think).  I wanted to play it again, if only to have a better chance of meeting the cute girl on the US team.

Yeah, that US women's team was pretty much the Hot Stuff of these XX(X?) Winter Games. Which contrasted nicely with the uber-geekiness of the men's squad. I'd throw hell of stones around to give any one of those women my hammer.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: misterqueue on February 21, 2006, 02:15:00 am
Yeah, that US women's team was pretty much the Hot Stuff of these XX(X?) Winter Games. Which contrasted nicely with the uber-geekiness of the men's squad. I'd throw hell of stones around to give any one of those women my hammer.

And here (http://curlgirls.cpotter.net/gallery/scottland/pages/IMG_1709.htm) they are with a bunch of Asian girls.  ROWR!
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 02:22:21 am
And here (http://curlgirls.cpotter.net/gallery/scottland/pages/IMG_1709.htm) they are with a bunch of Asian girls.  ROWR!

Ooh and little matching outfits.  If you'll excuse me, i'm taking this one to the holodeck.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: miles on February 21, 2006, 05:22:41 am
I know this will make me sound creepy, and I mean like Mister Q crazy stalker creepy, but the cutest one is engaged.
Title: Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
Post by: misterqueue on February 21, 2006, 10:53:29 am
It would only be creepy if you knew because you were outside in the bushes on the night she was proposed to like I wa-


I mean like someone I know was.