Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Valentine's. Or not.  (Read 10561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 03:32:55 pm »

Yup, you should read Waiter Rant on the subject, you will probably never want to go out on a holiday again.  We only did because forgot it was about to be Valentine's Day, when we finished all the food in the house on Monday.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 03:44:48 pm »

I used to be a waiter - fortunately, it wasn't at any place that's a big Valentine's Day draw.  I'm happy waiterrant guy's night turned out good - everything seemed to be fine where we were.

As for going on on Valentine's, well, I had to.  There's just something not that romantic about going out the Friday after and calling it Valentine's dinner, you've got to be out there with the other people, mixing it up.  Fortunately, the place were at wasn't completely nuts, although they did trot out the $60 chef's choice 4-course extravaganza, which I passed on in favor of the normal fare.  I figure, it's pretty much the only time of the year that I'm going to have to fight for a table, so why not?

Plus the ladies like it.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 04:31:50 pm »

Holidays depress me, Valentine's Day doubly so. I'm not good at buying gifts, and this year the money's tight. So we're going out to eat later this week (romanticism be damned, Cox!), and last night Sara made chicken marinated in wine and we watched two Iron Chefs. My gift to her was not getting on the computer all night - well, except for once when she was taking the dogs out and I checked to see if there were any curling clubs nearby.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 04:48:51 pm »

I'm probably going to sound like the stick-in-the-mud guy, or the condescending guy here but this is the truth.

I didn't go out on Valentines day. I didn't buy my girlfriend anything special. We didn't have romantic dinner. For one thing she is 200 miles north north-east of me but mainly because we both don't like the idea that one should express his/her love more on one day than all the rest. Instead, I make up my own little special days. I just randomly buy her little gifts and it turns out to be more fun and is definitely more of a surprise than a Valentine's Day gift. I mean that's expected. This is a total surprise.

I didn't do anything on Valentine's Day but I can tell you about my weekend before Valentine's Day. Friday we went to an art showing where one of her prints was on display. Saturday we went shopping, saw a movie, eat at THE BEST pizza joint in Akron, went bowling at 12:00 midnight and then called it a night. I should probably add that Saturday's events were spent with not only my girlfriend but also my best-friend. So it was not a real date of any kind. Sunday we played guitar hero and then got all teary because I had to go back to Cincinnati.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 05:06:44 pm »

My gift to her was not getting on the computer all night

Oh, I am so going to ask for this next year.

So were there any curling clubs?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 05:28:23 pm »

Saturday we went shopping, saw a movie, eat at THE BEST pizza joint in Akron,

Oh, hell no....It's been, like, 20 years since I ate pizza in Akron. So where is the best pizza joint now? (I'm assuming you are talking about Akron, Ohio.)

I was born in Akron.




Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 05:31:55 pm »

My SO's birthday is the 11th so we usually do some kind of combined birthday/Valentine's dinner on whichever weekend is closest. This year we were supposed to go to Indique before the snow screwed everything up and made her fly out a day early.

We're now talking about going to Lightfoot in Leesburg again after she gets back.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 06:09:00 pm »

Hobo Frenzy wins a can for being a nice romantic guy all year round and not just on designated holidays! Hooray to you! The ladies dig things like that. I should know. I am a lady after all. :) Also, I'm gonna second all the Akron curious people...I have family in that area, what's the best pizza joint? And, for my own curiousity, what movie did you see and how was it? :)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 07:33:55 pm »

Oh, I am so going to ask for this next year.

So were there any curling clubs?

No. Which made me sad. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for weird sports (when the summer Olympics roll around, I'm all about the fencing, the archery, and esp. the team handball), and curling is just weird enough in this area to captivate me. Unlike most of the other sports, though, curling is different in that I know people who have gone curling the way I, say, go bowling on occasion.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 08:43:28 pm »

Golfhaus, if you find any place, let me know. I watched this sport the other morning and it intrigued me also. It reminds me of bocce ball or lawn bowling if you may. Which is also a bizarre-ish sport I like a lot.


Yes, I misspelled "bocce"...and I edited for fear of being ridiculed...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:51:02 pm by sunnystar »
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2006, 09:55:18 pm »

Curling is a great sport; my father curled when I was a kid, and I spent big swathes of my childhood in the weird, smoky Fairbanks Curling Club, watching my father and his teammates and competitors push huge rocks around. Really, no sport involving huge rocks can go all that far wrong (barring terrible accidents, of course).
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2006, 10:20:51 pm »

Oh, hell no....It's been, like, 20 years since I ate pizza in Akron. So where is the best pizza joint now? (I'm assuming you are talking about Akron, Ohio.)

I was born in Akron.

Dude you better know I'm talking about Luigi's Pizza. That is, without a doubt, the best pizza in Akron.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:11 pm »

20 years is a long time, fella. Where is Luigi's? There was this joint right near Akron U we used to go to but I can't remember what it was called.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:33 pm »

My dad is really into curling, especially in the olympics.  He's never curled himself, though.

I'd love to try it. There's actually a league in Philly, but they want like $400 a year and I just want to try it once.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Happy Valentine's. Or not.
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2006, 10:38:00 pm »

20 years is a long time, fella. Where is Luigi's? There was this joint right near Akron U we used to go to but I can't remember what it was called.

Here's a nice map showing Luigi's Resurant in relation to the University of Akron.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=105+N+Main+St,+Akron,+OH&ll=41.082327,-81.512761&spn=0.025717,0.053773
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up