The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: evan on February 15, 2006, 09:13:49 am

Title: February 15, 2006 - The Latino Health Crisis
Post by: evan on February 15, 2006, 09:13:49 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02152006

It is now clear to me that Ray will not be taken out in the first ten minutes as I had originally predicted. I think we're in this for the long haul.

The title was a tough call, but there is no emoticon for the guy's face in the last panel.


ADMIN EDIT: Changed thread title due to punishment.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: cellardoor on February 15, 2006, 09:34:26 am
WHAT'D YOU SAY ABOUT MY WIFE, ASSHOLE SHIT MOTHER-FUCKER?!

Perfect Ron voiced by John Goodman.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Emmoh on February 15, 2006, 09:50:10 am
Latino Health Crisis.

"Leander" rubbing his hands together...all "yesss...yesss"

Frequent offerings of a PastaPro Express Home Pasta System, subsequent sexual reaction.

Ray's modest look in the ninth panel.

Perfect Ron's seizure of rage.

So many wonderful things about this strip.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 15, 2006, 09:53:57 am
WHAT'D YOU SAY ABOUT MY WIFE, ASSHOLE SHIT MOTHER-FUCKER?!

Perfect Ron voiced by John Goodman.

I was thinking more along the lines of John Larroquette, or really anyone on Night Court.

Also, perfect Ron Sipes' mouth in the final panel looks like the silhouette of a decaying tooth.  At this point I'm regretting not having written a poem in which I rhyme "Larroquette" with "silhouette" but I'm anticipating another chance in the future.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: LCB on February 15, 2006, 11:32:59 am
The Latino Health Crisis.

The Latino Health Crisis.

THE LATINO HEALTH CRISIS.

THE LATINO HEALTH CRISIS.


Oh, this was so worth the buildup.

Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2006, 11:50:24 am
Usually hate the marquee thing, but  it's nice that if we can't get the right thread title as the thread title, at least we can have it floating across the screen in green letters.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Doc on February 15, 2006, 11:52:40 am
LCB gets a can for finally finding a decent usage for the marquee.

Leander also is the perfect name for that guy, a nice under-rated serial killer kind of name.

I'm still willing to believe that Ray will get taken out in the next strip and everything will go to hell but I'm hoping more and more that this will not be the case.

EDIT:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Hero was a priestess of Aphrodite who dwelled in a tower in Sestos, at the edge of the Hellespont. Leander, a young man from Abydos, on the other side of the strait, fell in love with her and would swim every night across the Hellespont to be with her. Hero would light a lamp every night at the top of her tower, to guide his way.

Succumbing to Leander's soft words, and to his argument that Aphrodite, as goddess of love, would scorn the worship of a virgin, Hero allowed him to make love to her. This routine lasted through the warm summer. But one stormy winter night, the waves tossed Leander in the sea and the breezes blew out Hero's light, and Leander lost his way, and was drowned. Hero threw herself from a tower in grief and died as well.

Just for general information.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: theinevitable on February 15, 2006, 12:22:25 pm
so, telling someone that their wife "spreads her legs and thinks of england" is great.

I want to do this, is what I'm saying.

Who do I know that has a wife? Teachers and my parents. damn.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 01:07:32 pm
Let this be a lesson to you all.  Do the right thing.  Call someone "ASSHOLE SHIT MOTHERFUCKER" today!


The more you know...
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: jcreed on February 15, 2006, 01:10:20 pm
I can totally see Perfect Ron being Big-Lebowski-era John Goodman.

Beef in panel 5 seems to subtly convey that it's really him in charge. I can't quite explain it.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: acoxcae on February 15, 2006, 02:03:39 pm
I'd just like to say, since I've been basically abstaining from comment on this arc since I denounced ChatSacks a few weeks ago, that THIS IS AWESOME.

I mean, basically like treasure doesn't even begin to cover it.  And after Ray takes down Sipes tomorrow, it's ON.

I still just can't see either Ray or Beef winning, though.  It'd be far too out of character for Beef to win anything, unless he's hacked it (and then he'll be just sassy as the dickens for weeks), and I don't see Ray as a fighter still.  Of course, I'm nearly positive I'll be proven wrong, but I'll wait and see.

I wish most dearly for a time machine, with which I might see the next few strips.

I can't believe that's the only thing I want a time machine for.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2006, 02:04:24 pm
Latino Health Crisis. Debuting soon in Ring of Honor to team with Homicide against American Dragon and The Samoan Submission Machine.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2006, 02:17:04 pm
Goddamn, just when I think it can't get any better...

Leander and The Latino Health Crisis are absolutely perfect names. (One could speculate endlessly about how he got the name "The Latino Health Crisis"; is he an issues-based fighter, working for better health care in the Underground barrio? Or has he punched out so many Latinos that he's become a one-cat epidemic of pain?) Also, I suspect that Leander is his real name, and that the middle name is "Wayne" or a variation.

Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 15, 2006, 02:20:06 pm
Holy shit.  I am so buying a Great Outdoor Fight t-shirt when they're available.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Beatrice on February 15, 2006, 03:09:03 pm
i am so glad Onstad doesn't have some sort of public-radio fund-raising membership drive, because now would be the perfect time to do it, as i would give him all my money to see what happens next.



Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: acoxcae on February 15, 2006, 03:11:30 pm
i am so glad Onstad doesn't have some sort of public-radio fund-raising membership drive, because now would be the perfect time to do it, as i would give him all my money to see what happens next.

SHHHHH!!!!! Don't give him ideas!  Don't you remember serializer?
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Dr. Sodomy on February 15, 2006, 03:46:45 pm
Leander also is the perfect name for that guy, a nice under-rated serial killer kind of name.

Creepy motorcycle helmet dude with No-No's eyes is named Leander? I'm even more creeped out than I was. This dude may be the one to eat part of someone's face.
Title: education time
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 15, 2006, 04:06:27 pm
Greatest line:

"She spreads her legs and thinks of England"

For the simple face that I love education, I'm going to try to shed light on this phrase.

Originally in England, in the Victorian era, sex and sexual pleasure were unknown concepts to young women because they were raised under a blanket of innocence. The queen at the time gave the word to her daughter on her wedding night to "lie on her back and think of England" as if to say sex is natural and patriotic because it keeps the population up. I think the slightly dirtier version "spread your legs and think of England" came about during either World War One or World War Two. Lots of Englishmen were dying and babies needed to me made to prevent extinction.

So for all you guys out there; next time you're with a woman and she's a little hesitant to give up the goods, just lean in close and tell her to lie on her back and think of the queen. That will loosen her right up, I guarantee. Don't thank me now, thank me in the morning stud.

And to all you ladies out there; stop being so selgiraffe, you don't think your country is worth nine months of discomfort? Well then maybe you're a terrorist.
Title: Re: education time
Post by: MattFish on February 15, 2006, 04:47:49 pm
Don't thank me now, thank me in the morning stud.

So let me at your morning stud so I can thank you in it.

THE LATINO HEALTH CRISIS. Jeeeesus. Leander is definitely a perfect name, too. So next strip we get to see a man's back seize up until he cries for a medic? I'm up for that. And more ridiculous cussouts like ASSHOLE SHIT MOTHERFUCKER. I mean, what, is somebody fuck*ng their mother's shit? from an asshole?
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: hoborg on February 15, 2006, 04:58:39 pm
Thanks for explaining that, Mr. Frenzy. I am kind of a dumb guy, I did not get the joke at all.

Clearly Ron is too angry and stressed out to be able to fight well, but does Ray know enough about fighting to be able to exploit this? This arc is great because each strip leaves me worried about what's going to happen in the next...
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: AugustWest on February 15, 2006, 05:42:20 pm
The whole Beef calling Ray "Son of Rodney" thing is sort of odd for me, mainly because my Dad's name is Rodney.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: acoxcae on February 15, 2006, 05:45:33 pm
The whole Beef calling Ray "Son of Rodney" thing is sort of odd for me, mainly because my Dad's name is Rodney.

Then you must be the chosen one.  ALL HAIL!
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Hobot on February 15, 2006, 05:50:34 pm
The whole Beef calling Ray "Son of Rodney" thing is sort of odd for me, mainly because my Dad's name is Rodney.

It reminds me of Son of Sam (which might not be such a bad thing, considering the nature of the Fight).
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Emergent_C on February 15, 2006, 05:55:58 pm
One could speculate endlessly about how he got the name "The Latino Health Crisis"

I kind of assumed from looking at him that the dude is simply crawling with STDs. Well, that, and like, high cholesterol.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 06:04:25 pm
Son of Rodney is a talking point.  A way of not only referring to Ray, but cementing his godlike status in the followers mind in a fairly subtle way.  (Subtle if you're not used to being around Beef and Ray regularly).

I just keep waiting for Ray to break the spell somehow, it's gonna be great.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2006, 06:09:09 pm
Son of Rodney is a talking point.  A way of not only referring to Ray, but cementing his godlike status in the followers mind in a fairly subtle way.  (Subtle if you're not used to being around Beef and Ray regularly).

I just keep waiting for Ray to break the spell somehow, it's gonna be great.

He'll eat half a piece of paper! Completely by accident!
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 06:14:41 pm
He'll eat half a piece of paper! Completely by accident!

I hear Einstein did stuff like that all the time.
Title: Re: education time
Post by: Roger on February 15, 2006, 06:33:32 pm
OK, so Perfect Ron is all paralyzed with anger. Now who's gonna sneak behind him and deliver the fatal blow to his nerve center? Probably Leander, if he's anything like his mythological counterpart, all suave and seductive (thanks for the education, Doc).

So for all you guys out there; next time you're with a woman and she's a little hesitant to give up the goods, just lean in close and tell her to lie on her back and think of the queen. That will loosen her right up, I guarantee. Don't thank me now, thank me in the morning stud.

But do it quick, before the queen dies and Prince Charles becomes the King.

And more ridiculous cussouts like ASSHOLE SHIT MOTHERFUCKER. I mean, what, is somebody fuck*ng their mother's shit? from an asshole?

Or an asshole the fucks the shit's mother.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Danimaux on February 15, 2006, 06:38:43 pm

Hero was a priestess of Aphrodite who dwelled in a tower in Sestos, at the edge of the Hellespont. Leander, a young man from Abydos, on the other side of the strait, fell in love with her and would swim every night across the Hellespont to be with her. Hero would light a lamp every night at the top of her tower, to guide his way.


A-ha!

"Men are of two kinds.  When contained..."

Clearly Leander wants to be with a hero.

Hmm.  Has anyone noticed a number of allusions to Ancient Greece in the --- just kidding.  I can't find any allusions to Ancient Greece in the name Latino Health Crisis.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: misterqueue on February 15, 2006, 06:43:22 pm
A-ha!

"Men are of two kinds.  When contained..."

Clearly Leander wants to be with a hero.

Hmm.  Has anyone noticed a number of allusions to Ancient Greece in the --- just kidding.  I can't find any allusions to Ancient Greece in the name Latino Health Crisis.

Well Rome did import the Greek deities and rename them using Latin.  I'm not entirely sure where the health crisis lies in there though.  Possibly an issue with Hermes/Mercury? 

It's fun to make shit up!  Yay!

PS Danimaux as a moniker amuses me.  good show.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - The Latino Health Crisis
Post by: sensate on February 15, 2006, 06:46:27 pm
Man, Ray must be dumber than I'd given him credit for. He's stoking the rage of an Asswhuppin' Machine, and he's cool as can be. I know he's supposed to look that way for the troops, but not even a stray bead of sweat or a misshapen eyebrow. Unless the plan is for Beef to fade back and hit the nerve center with a peashooter or something.

The Latino Health Crisis. Maybe he is the health crisis who is a Latino?
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Roger on February 15, 2006, 07:06:09 pm
Well Rome did import the Greek deities and rename them using Latin.  I'm not entirely sure where the health crisis lies in there though.  Possibly an issue with Hermes/Mercury? 


Or maybe with Asclepius/Esculapius, the God of Healing. If he had an arch-nemesis it would probably be called Latino Health Crisis. But it was ol' Zeus himself who killed him with a thunderbolt, probably because he didn't like Asclepius walking around curing diseases, bringing the dead back to life, all that subversive stuff.

But we don't have to go all the way back to small classical times: It's happening right on your doorstep. (http://www.isber.ucsb.edu/pipermail/naccs-tejas/2004-June/000431.html)
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Formica on February 15, 2006, 07:13:16 pm
I kind of assumed from looking at him that the dude is simply crawling with STDs. Well, that, and like, high cholesterol.

Hepatitis

Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: V-Adore on February 15, 2006, 09:38:48 pm
Hmm.  Has anyone noticed a number of allusions to Ancient Greece in the --- just kidding.  I can't find any allusions to Ancient Greece in the name Latino Health Crisis.

But what are your feelings on Nate Small?
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - That's all I'm sayin', dude! Calm down!
Post by: Danimaux on February 16, 2006, 04:35:02 am
But what are your feelings on Nate Small?

Obviously, a subversive retelling of Paradise Lost.  Jeez.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - The Latino Health Crisis
Post by: filas on February 16, 2006, 05:17:12 am
so Leander is Beef's cousin maybe?  i mean he's got a black flag tattoo that would go well with beef's old DK shirt.
Leander doesn't look totally maniacal or bloodthirsty to me, he looks like he's at the fight b/c of the crowd he hangs out with, but not especially happy to be there if it was up to him.  lea looks uncomfortable, plus he's got depression.
Title: Re: February 15, 2006 - The Latino Health Crisis
Post by: pmcd9 on February 16, 2006, 05:22:24 am
The Latino Health Crisis. Maybe he is the health crisis who is a Latino?

Bingo.

~Paul