The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2006, 12:05:16 am

Title: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2006, 12:05:16 am
I read This (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/figure_skating/news?slug=ap-fig-mensfinal&prov=ap&type=lgns) article hoping beyond hope that dude was nicknamed plushie, but alas it wasn't to be.  That would have been so perfect.  Do you talk about the Olympics at your workplace?  Please inject plushie into the conversation tomorrow.  Let's just see how far we can take this.

~Paul
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 17, 2006, 12:20:33 am
There's Olympics going on?
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2006, 12:24:28 am
There's Olympics going on?

Yeah, but you have to say "Turino" so you look like a huge douche. Because saying Turin would, you know, make sense given the rules of English.
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: sunnystar on February 17, 2006, 12:27:31 am
There's Olympics going on?

And Apolo Ohno skating...DELICIOUS!
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: miles on February 17, 2006, 04:54:55 am
I heard that NBC is one of the only networks saying 'Turino,' and I guess they reason they give is that it sounds more exotic.  I heard this on NPR, and I guess they say 'Turin.'
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 12:59:27 pm
Turino is the actual name.  Turin is the name English speakers call it because we're just that egotistical.


It's kinda like how Japan is actually Nippon and so on and so forth.
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: miles on February 17, 2006, 01:02:13 pm
I know.  Moscow, Munich, Cologne, etc.

But you wouldn't hear NBC trying to pronounce those ones, especially the two German cities, as they are pronounced in the native languages.
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2006, 02:02:18 pm
Turino is the actual name.  Turin is the name English speakers call it because we're just that egotistical.


It's kinda like how Japan is actually Nippon and so on and so forth.

Does that mean that people who speak spanish are egotistical for say Los Estados Unidos? It's only appropriate for a US broadcaster/paper to say Turino if they also say Roma and Deutschland (sp?)

Unless you're Neal Stephenson, then you can get away with using Nippon
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 02:05:54 pm
I'm being slightly snarky with the egotistical comment there admittedly.

And yes.. Neal is the only one even if he couldn't write himself an ending out of a paper bag.
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2006, 02:10:25 pm
I'm being slightly snarky with the egotistical comment there admittedly.

And yes.. Neal is the only one even if he couldn't write himself an ending out of a paper bag.

Good point. The Diamond Age was awesome (awesome.) up until the last 50 pages or so. I hosestly cannot remember how either Cryptonomicon or Boroque Cycle ended. I can remember the ~2,500 pages leading up to it but not the actual ending.
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 02:12:09 pm
Be happy you don't remember the ending to Crypto.


The end of Snow Crash made me want to burn the book, hunt him down and make him into a blood sprinkler.
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: jough on February 17, 2006, 05:10:57 pm
I see the dude all the time, Q.  You want me to slap him in the back of the head for you next time?
Title: Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
Post by: misterqueue on February 17, 2006, 05:36:34 pm
I see the dude all the time, Q.  You want me to slap him in the back of the head for you next time?

Want you to?  Hell I'd PAY you to do that.