Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko  (Read 2987 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:05:16 am »

I read This article hoping beyond hope that dude was nicknamed plushie, but alas it wasn't to be.  That would have been so perfect.  Do you talk about the Olympics at your workplace?  Please inject plushie into the conversation tomorrow.  Let's just see how far we can take this.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:20:33 am »

There's Olympics going on?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:24:28 am »

There's Olympics going on?

Yeah, but you have to say "Turino" so you look like a huge douche. Because saying Turin would, you know, make sense given the rules of English.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:27:31 am »

There's Olympics going on?

And Apolo Ohno skating...DELICIOUS!
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 04:54:55 am »

I heard that NBC is one of the only networks saying 'Turino,' and I guess they reason they give is that it sounds more exotic.  I heard this on NPR, and I guess they say 'Turin.'
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:59:27 pm »

Turino is the actual name.  Turin is the name English speakers call it because we're just that egotistical.


It's kinda like how Japan is actually Nippon and so on and so forth.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 01:02:13 pm »

I know.  Moscow, Munich, Cologne, etc.

But you wouldn't hear NBC trying to pronounce those ones, especially the two German cities, as they are pronounced in the native languages.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 02:02:18 pm »

Turino is the actual name.  Turin is the name English speakers call it because we're just that egotistical.


It's kinda like how Japan is actually Nippon and so on and so forth.

Does that mean that people who speak spanish are egotistical for say Los Estados Unidos? It's only appropriate for a US broadcaster/paper to say Turino if they also say Roma and Deutschland (sp?)

Unless you're Neal Stephenson, then you can get away with using Nippon
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 02:05:54 pm »

I'm being slightly snarky with the egotistical comment there admittedly.

And yes.. Neal is the only one even if he couldn't write himself an ending out of a paper bag.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 02:10:25 pm »

I'm being slightly snarky with the egotistical comment there admittedly.

And yes.. Neal is the only one even if he couldn't write himself an ending out of a paper bag.

Good point. The Diamond Age was awesome (awesome.) up until the last 50 pages or so. I hosestly cannot remember how either Cryptonomicon or Boroque Cycle ended. I can remember the ~2,500 pages leading up to it but not the actual ending.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 02:12:09 pm »

Be happy you don't remember the ending to Crypto.


The end of Snow Crash made me want to burn the book, hunt him down and make him into a blood sprinkler.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:10:57 pm »

I see the dude all the time, Q.  You want me to slap him in the back of the head for you next time?

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Evgeni "Plushie" Plushenko
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:36:34 pm »

I see the dude all the time, Q.  You want me to slap him in the back of the head for you next time?

Want you to?  Hell I'd PAY you to do that.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up