The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Drygioni on February 18, 2006, 01:50:04 pm

Title: Jobs!
Post by: Drygioni on February 18, 2006, 01:50:04 pm
At the risk of no-one actually caring enough to reply:

Almost everyone in this forum seems to be of working age, and there must be something you do all day other than sit in front of a computer screen. Unless you work in an office, in which case you are in front of a PC all day anyway, reading webcomics and refreshing things like TOUAMB almost constantly (speaking from personal experience).

Asking out of my own warped curiosity, what do folks here do for a living? Don't be shy.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: misterqueue on February 18, 2006, 02:03:42 pm
I manually masturbate animals for artificial insemenation.




Not really.  I'm a techie.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2006, 03:13:08 pm
DickSlap - what do you do?

I am a theatre artist - at any one time I could be directing something, have written/be writting  something, be acting in something, or managing the production of something.  I also work at the largest children's theatre in Canada, where I design and administrate workshop programs for schools and other groups.

Beyond the theatre thing, I have had so many jobs in the past, that I probably can't list them all here, but highlights/lowlights include:  Underage porn video store employee, Krispy Kreme call centre agent, Wal-Mart Housewares associate, journalist, person who put food in blender then served it at an old folks home, Dunkaroos! Sample giver-outer, Arts and Entertainment Editor of university paper, Assistant manager of art gallery of sculptures of naked pre-teen girls, and comic book store staff person.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Drygioni on February 18, 2006, 03:23:03 pm
DickSlap - what do you do?

I am really regretting choosing this username.

I am a backup paperboy.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2006, 04:03:55 pm
So does the regular paper boy dick slap you?

(also, don't worry about your name, everyone here calls me Smells, so you're in good company!)
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Drygioni on February 18, 2006, 04:25:52 pm
It's a pleasure to meet you, Smells.

The regular paperboy does dick slap me, but not as part of the job. I just like younger boys.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 05:15:21 pm
Damn I didn't know I was going to have to post my resume.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: side_show on February 18, 2006, 05:26:19 pm
Um, okay DickSlap...

Here's your chance to not sound like a predatory pedophile:
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Drygioni on February 18, 2006, 05:33:50 pm
I think it's already too late for that.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2006, 07:05:55 pm
I'm an undercover FBI agent. please come with me, dickslap.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 07:24:12 pm
Slappy, if you wanna win a TOUAMBIE this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2451.0.html) really isn't the best category to be in.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 07:30:42 pm
I'm self/un-employed.  I run a couple of web servers, host other sites, do web design for clients, make web sites on which to sell advertising, write freelance articles, and recently have begun producing and selling t-shirts (http://wordfront.com/wares/).

I'm busy.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 18, 2006, 07:33:26 pm
I'm self/un-employed.  I run a couple of web servers, host other sites, do web design for clients, make web sites on which to sell advertising, write freelance articles, and recently have begun producing and selling t-shirts (http://wordfront.com/wares/).

I'm busy.

I didn't know you sold t-shirts.  Do you have a website?

~Paul
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 18, 2006, 07:34:25 pm
Heh.  Tiny can to Paul.

Oh, and I'm a fluffer.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 07:38:57 pm
I didn't know you sold t-shirts.  Do you have a website?

Just opened up the store this week, Paul.

Web site is:

http://wordfront.com/wares/

Check it out!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 08:58:07 pm
Oh, and I'm a fluffer.

OK, I'll bite.  WTF?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 18, 2006, 08:59:29 pm
Trust me, you don't want to bite.

But, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluffer) is relatively work-safe.

Wiki.  Is there anything it can't do?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 09:01:28 pm
Ha, wasn't it clever of me not to Google that instead of asking? 
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 18, 2006, 09:06:17 pm
Here's a tip.  If you have a question like that, and don't want to ask the board, add the word wiki to the term you are searching for.  If there's a Wikipedia entry dealing with it, it'll probably turn it up.  However, it may also turn up other wiki sites, which may not be so work-safe.

This has saved me from having to ask questions that make me feel culturally illiterate, and also from potentially offensive sites (not that I avoid them necessarily anyway, but, it could come in handy).
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: jough on February 18, 2006, 09:37:33 pm
Or you could just go to Wikipedia and type in your search term there. :/
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 18, 2006, 09:40:52 pm
Yeah but a google search bar is at the top of every browser window.  It's just so convenient.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 18, 2006, 11:15:20 pm
So back to jobs:

I'm a dad, which is my most important job but also I spend 8 hours a day working for the largest helath insurer in Hawaii on projects related to delivering drug benefits to members.

I'm a public health professional by trade and training. I'm hoping to get back into a more public health program related job. Or back into a government job, whichever comes first.

Living in Hawaii makes it harder, though.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 18, 2006, 11:36:00 pm
Well Integrity Engineer.

I actually got a new job, everyone! Well, it's the same job, but working for a different company, and, strangely, making twice as much money. Giant multinationals just don't care. I'm still in the farthest reaches of the Arctic.

Plus I bought a house.

click here (http://www.rmls.com/RC2/UI/search_mlsnumber.asp) and type in 6001389.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2006, 11:57:12 pm
Are you doing half as much work for twice as much money so you have more time to come and play with us?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 19, 2006, 12:29:36 am
Well, three posts in two days - I guess that's more playing than before, anyway.



Since when the hell am I Ray? I'm Nightlife Mingus, goddamn it.

Also, as an addendum, that link up there won't work even a little. So pretty much typical for my stuff, then.

So:

Front (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/house1.jpg)
Living room (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/house2.jpg)
Dining room (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/house3.jpg)
Kitchen from nook (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/house5.jpg)
Kitchen and nook. (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/house4.jpg)
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2006, 06:27:14 am
Or you could just go to Wikipedia and type in your search term there. :/

Wikipedia's internal search is often down. I know there have been many times I went there and it told me to use Google with "site:en.wikipedia.com" instead. If you use Firefox there's always the Wikipedia & Google (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=wikipedia%26google&submitform=Search) search plugin.

And if you're almost positive that the term is dirty then Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com) might be of more help.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 19, 2006, 02:08:21 pm
Oh, nice house.  And it looks like a lovely place to sit and spend more time on the Internet.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Tangle on February 19, 2006, 03:26:35 pm
Technical Writer. Or "glorified typist", as some people would say, but I don't ride with those people.

Boring but also stressful work. Oh well, it pays the bills, and as long as I still haven't figured out what I would really like to do for a living...
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: slink on February 19, 2006, 08:53:11 pm
I was a web developer, but thanks to these guys I quit and am now pan handling outside of the Safeway by the motorway.
Jerks.

Actually, I'm freelance now, so as to focus far more on being a musician, as not being one sucks. That doesn't mean that when sat in front of the computer all day either of those are what I'm doing.

[size=-4]Hey all by the way. I'm semi around at the moment, just as I'm running around doing a hundred things, like catching up with and working with my drummer who is only int he country for another couple of months.[/size]
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2006, 09:00:12 pm
I get paid to look at boobs all day.




Seriously.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Drygioni on February 19, 2006, 09:03:56 pm
I get paid to look at boobs all day.




Seriously.

Do you write the captions for the Spice Channel?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: theinevitable on February 19, 2006, 09:20:08 pm
wait wait wait
i do not understand this "fluffing"...
if the large number of naked ladies is not sufficient, what does the "fluffer" do?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 19, 2006, 09:25:06 pm
Do you write the captions for the Spice Channel?

Heh, he wishes.

At the moment, I get paid to pick up poop, distribute items that are transmuted into more poop, and answer stupid questions, including "Is that poisonous?" and "Where is the bathroom?" 
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: misterqueue on February 19, 2006, 10:11:26 pm
wait wait wait
i do not understand this "fluffing"...
if the large number of naked ladies is not sufficient, what does the "fluffer" do?

The fluffer blows... the fluffer blows.

Seriously, getting it up around naked ladies is easy, but try getting it up around naked ladies, cameras and a bunch of dudes trying to decide what angle at which to shoot your dinkus.  It's a bit more difficult in that situation.

Speaking of which, hey womby, where's the bathroom, and is that poisonous?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2006, 03:29:08 am
I do computer consulting-type crap.  I just got ITIL Foundation certified!  Whoo hoo!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 03:42:18 am
I work in project controls for a construction company, building a power plant.

Huntington Utah.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: sjlimmer on February 20, 2006, 03:46:56 am
Postdoctoral researcher (I think that's the official title), but I'm in the market for a new job.  If anyone has a contact at a national lab, let me know.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: acoxcae on February 20, 2006, 04:00:11 am
Postdoctoral researcher (I think that's the official title), but I'm in the market for a new job.  If anyone has a contact at a national lab, let me know.

What's your focus?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: lprkn on February 20, 2006, 09:27:08 am
I don't have a real job yet, I'm still in college (Political Science). I do work part time at a copy shop, and I'm on fire crew (wildfire) in the summer.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 12:40:01 pm
I do computer consulting-type crap.  I just got ITIL Foundation certified!  Whoo hoo!

Ugh... my company made us do this whole huge ITIL thing last year.  Now we have Incident Management and Problem Management and everything else was pretty much thrown out the window.  WAY TO WASTE WHAT COULD'VE BEEN A RAISE $InternationalFinancialCompany, WAY TO GO!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: sunnystar on February 20, 2006, 12:45:50 pm
Jobs? Who has those? Wouldn't you rather be in school for ridiculously long periods of time? Like me?

Yep...student...Purdue...and now for 3 more years...I do not know how I feel about this turn of events...
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 01:18:36 pm
Speaking of which, hey womby, where's the bathroom, and is that poisonous?

Left down the hill.  No, or I wouldn't be standing in the public hallway holding it in my bare hands!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2006, 02:19:30 pm
I don't have a real job yet, I'm still in college (Political Science). I do work part time at a copy shop, and I'm on fire crew (wildfire) in the summer.

Oh dear.  Drop that Poli Sci major while you can, get a useful degree in Computer Science or something.  Wish I had done that, but noooooooo.

Q--fortunately we were doing half the ITIL shit already, so it really hasn't been that big a deal.  Something nice to drop on my resume, anyway.  Next I have to get PMP (which for the uninitiated is not what you're thinking it is).  Yay.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Golfhaus on February 20, 2006, 02:21:32 pm
Technical Writer. Or "glorified typist", as some people would say, but I don't ride with those people.

Boring but also stressful work. Oh well, it pays the bills, and as long as I still haven't figured out what I would really like to do for a living...

Uh-oh... that's what I'm finishing up college to be.

For the last six years (!) I've worked for an airline in ground operations. Basically, I do everything at an airport that doesn't involve actually going into the air. It is also a stressful job at times, but it's got its perks. $40 flights to Greenland  (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1733.0.html)being one of them.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 02:22:40 pm
Next I have to get PMP (which for the uninitiated is not what you're thinking it is).

Yes it is.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: acoxcae on February 20, 2006, 02:26:10 pm
Oh dear.  Drop that Poli Sci major while you can, get a useful degree in Computer Science or something.  Wish I had done that, but noooooooo.

Motion seconded.  My brother graduated with a PolySci degree a few years ago, spend a few years unemployed, and finally had to enter law school because he just couldn't get a job - and he's capable, intelligent, and all those other things that people want in an employee.

Now me, I don't even actually *have* my computer science degree yet, and people are falling all over themselves to give me a job, despite the fact that I lack the basic brainpower necessary to remember to breath while at the same time trying to turn left while walking.

Granted, my brother graduated in a terrible economic climate, and I will be in a slightly better one, but I still maintain that PolySci won't get you anywhere - unless you plan on grad school.

Of course, you may have "connections" or "something like that," so perhaps you will find a job.  I wish you all the best, whatever happens.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Hobot on February 20, 2006, 03:47:13 pm
I'm a student at Smith College; though I haven't declared yet, I will be a double Biology/Psychology major.  During Winter Break and in the summer I work at Ben Franklin (craft store chain).

Wombat -- Is the bathroom poisonous?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:11:47 pm
A political science degree may be bad, but nothing's as worthless as a Philosophy degree.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 04:16:38 pm
Wombat -- Is the bathroom poisonous?

Thankfully that is a question I haven't gotten yet. I have to say that my "not gaping at stupidity" skills have become highly developed, which will undoubtedly serve me well no matter what I end up doing if and when I grow up.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:17:55 pm
It's an important skill in retail, if you ever end up there.  Speaking of, my last shift ever in retail will be tomorrow night.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: sjlimmer on February 20, 2006, 04:27:35 pm
Congrats.  I know I did a little dance after my last shift in retail hell.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:28:33 pm
I will do a little dance.   Also, a couple of us are going out for drinks.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 04:31:31 pm
Speaking of, my last shift ever in retail will be tomorrow night.

Never say never.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2006, 04:37:08 pm
A political science degree may be bad, but nothing's as worthless as a Philosophy degree.

I have a philosophy minor to go with my poli sci major.  w00t!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: CortJstr on February 20, 2006, 04:42:28 pm
Carlos, I'm surprised you had problems with a poly sci since you live near DC. My SO and most of her friends are poly scis and they seemed to work out OK. Of course 2 went to law school after and 2 more snagged jobs in Makulski's office...
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: jough on February 20, 2006, 04:51:36 pm
A political science degree may be bad, but nothing's as worthless as a Philosophy degree.

Tell me about it.  Oh wait, there is one thing more worthless: also having an English Literature degree.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: AugustWest on February 20, 2006, 05:21:29 pm
I had about 2/3's of a philosophy degree done when I transferred.  Ended up with a degree in Journalism and a philosophy minor.

Then I went to law school.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to market my law practice.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 05:47:03 pm
I can top a philsophy minor:  I may end up with en ethics minor.  It doesn't exist right now, but it may soon!

Really, though, I need to figure shit out.  I don't want to go to law school.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2006, 07:05:20 pm
man...
I'm going to college next year. washington U in st louis.
um, right now, unemployed/ in highschool.

probably going to major in psychology. I might do the med-school thing and be a psychiatrist, but... isn't med school really hard?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: AugustWest on February 20, 2006, 08:24:09 pm
do you know what dorm you'll be living in yet?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: V-Adore on February 20, 2006, 09:50:38 pm
I have a friend who's a Philo/Poli Sci major and hates her coursework desperately. Why she's still in the departments, I dunno...

I have now visited two graduate schools and will visit one more in two weeks' time, so I'm pretty sure now I'm gonna be a neuroscientist when I grow up. What that means, I have no idea. (By the way, anyone have words to say about either Ithaca, NY or Irvine, CA?)
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 10:13:37 pm
Irvine, if only on the basis of climate, but points for the anteater, too.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 20, 2006, 10:34:28 pm
I do marketing, promotions and production for a radio station.  It's a fun job and I can explain my high Internet usage time, if anyone should ask, by saying that I'm doing "research" into our demographic's interests and pastimes.

It is not a difficult job.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Limmo on February 20, 2006, 10:37:53 pm
I'm the sales manager for a company that sells pharmaceutical balances and pill counters.  Sexy.

Irvine, CA is in Orange County, a burgeoning but somewhat conservative area south of where I live.  Asherdan can give you better info on the subject than I can.

Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2006, 10:46:39 pm
I enjoyed Ithaca pretty well... but this was in the summer.
my aunt and uncle both went to grad school at cornell, and loved it a ton.

if you do go there, please go to the restaurant "Taste of Thai', and order the pad thai. I dream about it.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 21, 2006, 12:28:35 am
I'm a college student at the University of Cincinnati. Trying to major in Industrial Design. Should be fun. During the summer I work at a mansion/garden estate. I do General Maintenance and Bar Backing (bartender's bitch). The hours suck HARD (read: i worked from 8:00am until 1:00am then return to work at 9:00am the bext day on two separate occasions.) but the people are nice, I'm outside most of the time and I get to drive over powered golf carts all day so I love that job. Plus, it is never static.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 21, 2006, 12:30:46 am
Uh-oh... that's what I'm finishing up college to be.

For the last six years (!) I've worked for an airline in ground operations. Basically, I do everything at an airport that doesn't involve actually going into the air. It is also a stressful job at times, but it's got its perks. $40 flights to Greenland  (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1733.0.html)being one of them.

On that note, can you hook us up with tickets?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Hobot on February 21, 2006, 01:43:50 am
V-Adore, I have a friend at Cornell.  The T-shirts don't lie: Ithaca is Cold.  We both know what Massachusetts is like; Ithaca is colder and bleaker, not to mention isolated.  Students -- at least undergrads -- drink inconceivably large amounts of alcohol because there is nothing, nothing, to do.  If you decide to go there, avoid the cliffs; cordless bungee-jumping is not the answer.

On the plus side, it's an Ivy, so it's got name recognition, and it's a legitimately excellent school.  I'm pretty sure they're down with the Sciences, too.



My school can top both a Philosophy major and an Ethics minor: we offer minors in both Landscape Studies and Logic.  Considering we have less than 3000 undergraduate students, those are both rather specialised (i.e., useless) fields of study.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2006, 02:15:30 am
not to mention isolated. 

Oh, I'd forgotten about this.  Ithaca is very, very, very far from everywhere.  Irvine is within shouting distance of LA which despite what some people might say, is definitely Somewhere, if Orange County isn't Somewhere enough for you. I confess that I have an irrational fascination with Southern California and a deep hatred of snow.  Some of my best friends have gone to school and/or taught at Cornell and liked it. But I'd worry about doing something as isolating in the first place as grad school in a place like Ithaca.

OK, feeling guilty for talking just about the climate.... Are we talking Cognitive Science at Irvine?  I've at least heard of some of them.  That could mean they are very famous.  Or it could just mean they abutted my field more than the people at Cornell...  I know someone in linguistics at Cornell who might know something, if you want me to ask.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: robot_god on February 21, 2006, 02:56:49 am
I'm a student in six year pharmacy doctorate program.  So in three years and a few months, I am supposed to be a pharmacist.

I was originally planning to do some kind of two year fellowship after graduating, to get into drug research and development, but my desire to do that has been washed away by my insatiable need to move out of my parent's home.  So out of school, I guess I will work behind a counter somewhere, I suppose...

In the meantime, I work as a deli-clerk in the deli owned by said parents.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: V-Adore on February 21, 2006, 03:12:08 am
Oh, I'd forgotten about this.  Ithaca is very, very, very far from everywhere.  Irvine is within shouting distance of LA which despite what some people might say, is definitely Somewhere, if Orange County isn't Somewhere enough for you. I confess that I have an irrational fascination with Southern California and a deep hatred of snow.  Some of my best friends have gone to school and/or taught at Cornell and liked it. But I'd worry about doing something as isolating in the first place as grad school in a place like Ithaca.

See, the thing is that right now I go to school in the ass-end of Massachusetts, and I grew up in Alaska. "Sparsely-populated," "isolated," and "cold" are not frightening adjectives to me. The grad students at Cornell did seem overall a little depressed, especially compared to the Irvine students ("let's go out drinking at a weird basement club, and I'll complain at length about my advisor" vs. "prospectives are coming?! We can go over to m apartment! I made Jello shots!!"), but I may have a better temperament for it.

Also, the OC is extremely somewhere. We went to the Irvine Spectrum Mall on Saturday, and holy crap, I was transfixed with wonderment. The mall was larger than my current hometown. It had a Ferris wheel. My God!

Quote
OK, feeling guilty for talking just about the climate.... Are we talking Cognitive Science at Irvine?  I've at least heard of some of them.  That could mean they are very famous.  Or it could just mean they abutted my field more than the people at Cornell...  I know someone in linguistics at Cornell who might know something, if you want me to ask.

I interviewed with a couple of Cognitive Sciences people; I'm not sure if that's entirely my bag, but one of them was doing some fascinating Asian-language research that I'm intrigued by. The program I'm actually applying for is their Interdepartmental Neuroscience program, which covers about five departments, including CogSci.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 21, 2006, 04:08:54 am
Huh, I got a Tech Writing degree. Used it for a little while when I was working for Sam's Club in the liquor store, and I put out a little newsletter for the employees on the side. Other than that, it's always helped me as sort of an adjunct to whatever I'm actually doing for a living because no one in the work force can actually use the written word to convey information effectively.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2006, 04:36:09 am
augustwest-- was that to me, or v-adore?
I do not know. I get a questionnaire to decide that sometime in... I think april.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 21, 2006, 07:46:46 am
I graduated Poli Sci and Spanish and had a great job with the US Centers for Disease Control for almost 14 years before I quit to avoid a transfer to LA.

Now I work (I hope, temporarily) for a large Health Insurance provider with the Pharmacy Benefits.

What I really want to do is manage public health/non profit organization community programs. Like, what I used to do.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Doc on February 21, 2006, 07:55:52 am
I'm doing my honours year at uni where I seem to have managed to gone from drug design and development into semi-straight chemistry. At the moment I'm doing stuff with metabolism and NMR.
The rest of the time I pump gas. As of the last week anyway.

Limmo: Don't be down on your business, any chemist (not as in pharmacist, but them too I guess) will tell you high quality balances are hell of important.

Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Tangle on February 21, 2006, 08:52:35 am
Huh, I got a Tech Writing degree. Used it for a little while when I was working for Sam's Club in the liquor store, and I put out a little newsletter for the employees on the side. Other than that, it's always helped me as sort of an adjunct to whatever I'm actually doing for a living because no one in the work force can actually use the written word to convey information effectively.
What I enjoy the most is the empty vacant look that people get in their eyes when they ask me what I do for a living and I reply "I'm a Technical Writer". Then they ponder for a while whether they should ask me what it is I actually do, decide not to bother, and start talking about the weather or such like.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Golfhaus on February 21, 2006, 12:13:22 pm
Huh, I got a Tech Writing degree. Used it for a little while when I was working for Sam's Club in the liquor store, and I put out a little newsletter for the employees on the side. Other than that, it's always helped me as sort of an adjunct to whatever I'm actually doing for a living because no one in the work force can actually use the written word to convey information effectively.

I figured that's what would I end up doing with it, too - my plan for the moment is to get the degree and get a job with my airline's customer service training department. I have noticed that no one there seems to be able to form complete sentences either. Apparently there are people there who still HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY WHEN THEY WRITE E-MAILS SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH CAPITALIZATION. I mean, seriously, I thought the Internet killed off those people in 1997.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2006, 01:02:46 pm
Education:  Is that why people write in all caps?  I always thought there was no better reason than that they'd once hit caps lock by accident and couldn't figure out how to turn it off.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: AugustWest on February 21, 2006, 05:21:58 pm
augustwest-- was that to me, or v-adore?
I do not know. I get a questionnaire to decide that sometime in... I think april.

That was to you.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Thee on February 21, 2006, 11:35:59 pm
I'm an assistant to the theatre manager on campus right now.  Above minimum wage is all I have to say about that.

I'm a business major, with a possible economics degree if I continue going this way, but I keep on looking out the window during class
and daydream about becoming an art & design major


I also have half of a psychology degree.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: sunnystar on February 22, 2006, 12:37:10 am
and daydream about becoming an art & design major

It is the way to go. I love my major/minor. Interior Design and Art History, in that order. LOVE!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: miles on February 22, 2006, 05:27:52 am
Apparently there are people there who still HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY WHEN THEY WRITE E-MAILS SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER WITH CAPITALIZATION. I mean, seriously, I thought the Internet killed off those people in 1997.

Sometimes I'll chat with friends who work at places where they have to use all caps when they type stuff in certain fields.  It used to piss me off because I thought they were always YELLING at me.

But really, if you want to be that lazy, why not just not capitalize at all?  It's easier to read, anyway, and less abrasive.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: CortJstr on February 22, 2006, 02:23:49 pm
This makes me wonder why a small-caps font hasn't wormed its way into the standard distribution of Arial, Helvetica, and TNR.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2006, 03:18:01 am
I had to deal with someone yesterday who wrote me a note in which the initial letter of every word was capitalized. How do you suppose that brain is wired?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Tangle on February 23, 2006, 07:17:57 am
I had to deal with someone yesterday who wrote me a note in which the initial letter of every word was capitalized. How do you suppose that brain is wired?

Maybe that person imagines everything they write as song titles.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: acoxcae on February 23, 2006, 01:43:35 pm
Track 1: Dear Sir
Track 2: I Can't Believe
Track 3: You'd Sell This Crap
Track 4: To An Unsuspecting Gentleman
Track 5: Such As Myself
Track 6: I'll Kill You
Track 7: And Your Family
Track 8: While They're Sleeping
Track 9: Unless You Give Me Store Credit
Track 10: Cordially
Track 11: Me

The breakout new album by Writing In Tongues
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Tangle on February 23, 2006, 09:08:51 pm
That made me laugh, which led to coughing followed by calling the Earl which is why I'm not at the job this thread was about.

I think that might cause some kind of... Paradox in the Internet/Real World Continuum... if we're not careful.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 23, 2006, 11:49:26 pm
Hello all

I'm a managing editor for a couple o' medical journals (and I do a fair amount of freelance, primarily for neurology articles and books). It's a good job that is very challenging intellectually, though not so much creatively. I've just started trying to build a fiction resume (as in, editing fiction, not writing it), because I think it won't be long before I really start stagnating with the medical stuff.

And recently at work a fellow editor was fired when they discovered she was searching for jobs from her desk, and as a result they have cracked down in a Big Brother sort of way on Internet use for personal means. So as it has been for the last couple weeks, my presence on TOUAMB will be greatly reduced until things lighten up again, which I suspect they will eventually. But it could be a while. Anyway, I greatly miss killing at least an hour per day with y'all but if all goes well I will be back frequently pretty soon.

xoxo
Biz
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: V-Adore on February 24, 2006, 01:49:47 am
Best of luck, Biz. What a weird policy.

On the subject of people who just can't type in English: the magazine I edit is currently published by a man m co-editor and I call "the chimp." Not only does he almost always type in all caps, in that HAY GUYS THERE'S THIS LIGHT ON M KEYBOARD I CAN'T GET TO TURN OFF way, he also drops words, usually incredibly inappropriately. The best example was the e-mail from him that began: "WE YOUR PAYMENT..." Okay, so do you have our payment or need our payment? This is an important verb, dude!
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2006, 02:48:26 am
I'm a managing editor for a couple o' medical journals (and I do a fair amount of freelance, primarily for neurology articles and books).

JACR (jake-er)?
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 24, 2006, 03:02:19 am
he also drops words, usually incredibly inappropriately

I once had an article that read, honestly, "Failure to can lead to severe seizures." Failure to what, failure to WHAT???

JACR (jake-er)?

I don't think I've ever edited anything that went into JACR, no. Though I've done work for other journals from the company that publishes JACR (Elsevier), like Clinical Neuroscience Research, and Epilepsy and Behavior. Sometimes interesting, sometimes not.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: V-Adore on February 24, 2006, 02:24:40 pm
I once had an article that read, honestly, "Failure to can lead to severe seizures." Failure to what, failure to WHAT???

Oh my GOD. That's classic. It also reminds me of what might be my favorite Spamusement ever. (http://spamusement.com/index.php/comics/view/49)
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: colmore on February 25, 2006, 12:40:52 am
Living on a bank loan while I work on getting my internet start-up off the ground.

No, really!  As long as you aren't expecting 1997 style 10 million dollars to build an office and purchase a small army's worth of nerf "fun workplace" gear, the Internet is an established enough business environment that if you come to them with good numbers and a realistic business plan (here's how we will have a positive cashflow in 6 months... here are several examples of businesses who have succeeded on a similar income model etc.) you can get a regular style business loan and not an "oh and we'll be taking 60% of your stock" venture capital investment.
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 25, 2006, 12:43:06 am
Living on a bank loan while I work on getting my internet start-up off the ground.


No pressure, there, though. At least your overhead could be pretty darn low, especially if you are sleeping on a sofa in your parent's house (not that I'm accusing you of that, I'm just saying is all)
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Gimpson on February 28, 2006, 03:49:31 pm
I'm a programmer for a bank.  My day consists mainly of being amazed that I am still paid to write Perl, of all things.  Though at my current job I get to mix in other outdated technologies like Pro*C and Oracle Forms.  Luckily, it sounds like I'm going to get some freelance work in something that may be marketable to potential future employers. 
Title: Re: Jobs!
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2006, 10:32:51 pm
Living on a bank loan while I work on getting my internet start-up off the ground.

Watch out! A 900 million dollar loss (http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/28/technology/google/index.htm) can really take the wind out of your sails.