The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Tangle on February 20, 2006, 09:50:53 am

Title: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: Tangle on February 20, 2006, 09:50:53 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02202006

The annoying hippy was just asking for it if you ask me.

all "NIMMM NAMMM NOMMMMM OHM MNA HAAAPI OHM HNO"

That Leander dude is creeping me out even more now.

EDIT: Apparently, at night everyone stops fighting and just chills. It seems there might be several factions now.
Title: I...AM...RUUUUDE!
Post by: trouserbat on February 20, 2006, 11:58:22 am
So by the end of the first day, Ray Son of Rodney has only knocked out two people? I'm not sure that bodes well, especially since tomorrow will probably be turkey and brandy for him. (Side dishes or no.)

Does anybody recognize any silhouettes in the last frame?
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: Doc on February 20, 2006, 12:34:27 pm
note pony tail hanging out of crane.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 12:37:06 pm
"I heard he doesn't like music" has to be one of the more amusing statements utilized while building a myth 'round someone.


Anyway, I was hope for more Butterfly/Lightbulb action out of S+M but you know, whatever.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: sunnystar on February 20, 2006, 12:41:27 pm
I am particularly fond of the second frame where Ray and Beef are whispering and the last whisper is especially exciting all bigger, bolder and "...WHISPER!"...plus the little "HEH!". Loves it! I also love that his big quote here is "I...AM...RUUUDE!" It's so proper and wonderful. WONDERFUL! God, I want to have the love child of this arc....
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: jough on February 20, 2006, 02:53:34 pm
Man, what a letdown.  He just jumps on the dude?

HOW DO YOU CREATE A MYTHOS BY JUMPING ON A DUDE?
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: acoxcae on February 20, 2006, 02:55:32 pm
Yeah, I really don't see the point here.  Anyone can just walk by and step on a dude's head while he's honing his chakras.  It certainly wouldn't be a defeat of mythological proportions or anything.

But if that's how they roll, then I'll let them...until tomorrow.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: V-Adore on February 20, 2006, 03:19:52 pm
I think the epic-ness comes from "I... AM... RUUUDE!", myself. I mean, honestly, who'd mess with that guy? The dude is rude. RUUUDE.

I spent about ten minutes this morning just walking around and saying "I... AM... RUUUDE!" to myself. It's a glorious catchphrase; I might get it on a T-shirt, were such things to exist (hint hint, O T-shirt-monger.)
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 03:29:09 pm
I'm thinking it's because he went so over the top.  Dude was realigning his chaka khans.  Ray could have walked up and pissed on his head it would have been that easy.  But no, he went the extra mile and crushed his chest with an elbow delivered from on high. ON HIGH!

~Paul
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: Hobot on February 20, 2006, 03:30:20 pm
Apparently, at night everyone stops fighting and just chills.

Perhaps it is like the Christmas Truce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce).

Is "OHM MNA HAAAAPI OHM HNO" a bastardisation of "Om Mani Padme Hum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Mani_Padme_Hum)"?
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: Drygioni on February 20, 2006, 04:19:32 pm
Those chants from S+M sound a lot like Buddhist ones we are currently trying to memorise at school. Then again, everything with OMMM in it is going to seem kind of similar.

I reckon Ray's method of bringing pain was sound. He's telling S+M in no unpleasant terms that the Great Outdoor Fight is a place for elbows and fists. And utilisation of gravity. Though I'm a bit surprised no-one else took out S+M beforehand. Either he's well hard when he's not realigning his chakras or he's the GOF equivalent of one of those goth kids at school not even the rugby team will dare beat up.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: CortJstr on February 20, 2006, 04:27:36 pm
Man, what a letdown.  He just jumps on the dude?

HOW DO YOU CREATE A MYTHOS BY JUMPING ON A DUDE?

It worked for the Macho Man. Oh yeah! But agreed, the elbow drop was pretty lame. I expected at least a 450 splash there. Damn you X Division for spoiling me!
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 04:35:11 pm
Man, and I thought all you wrestling fan boys would pop a boner over that little maneuver.

~Paul
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: jough on February 20, 2006, 04:59:21 pm
I spent about ten minutes this morning just walking around and saying "I... AM... RUUUDE!" to myself. It's a glorious catchphrase; I might get it on a T-shirt, were such things to exist (hint hint, O T-shirt-monger.)

Yeah, yeah, everybody says they want a t-shirt with Education "I... AM... RUUUDE!" on it, but then make one and hardly anyone buys one.

:P
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: Herr Currywurst on February 20, 2006, 05:04:37 pm
It worked for the Macho Man. Oh yeah! But agreed, the elbow drop was pretty lame. I expected at least a 450 splash there. Damn you X Division for spoiling me!

Exactly.  These guys in the GOF are the sort who spent a substantial portion of their paycheck getting an elaborate tattoo when Eddie Guerrero kicked it Keith Moon style.  Ray is invoking a sacred tradition with the Elbow Drop.  The aforementioned Randy Savage.  Dusty Rhodes.  Mick Foley.  Ravishing Rick Rude.

Onstad has the culture of this fight down cold.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: FutureDeadPerson on February 20, 2006, 05:06:28 pm
You mean Ravishing Rick RUUUDE?
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 05:58:04 pm
Yeah, yeah, everybody says they want a t-shirt with Education "I... AM... RUUUDE!" on it, but then make one and hardly anyone buys one.

:P

If I had a nickel for everytime I said I'd buy a shirt with something on it, saw the shirt, and didn't buy it, I'd have like 38 cents.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2006, 06:57:57 pm
mannn.
do you think he means "rude" as in "ska"? Because ska is exciting to me, at my age. It just made me laugh to hear someone at a show yesterday calling things "rude" other than titties.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: Roger on February 20, 2006, 07:04:29 pm
I was a bit let down at first, but then it only makes sense: why would Ray waste some icky move, or even break a sweat, over a guy who's basically rolling on the floor?
I wish we had seen some of S+M's fighting moves though, if he had any.
But the cut from Ray's landing directly to the crane shot is great. That's rhythm, people. Onstad's all about the book he's gonna put together once this arc is done.

Perhaps it is like the Christmas Truce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce).

Didn't something like that also happen in 1944 during the battle of the Ardennes? Maybe it's something about the Belgian winter that brings out the best in people, right before they resume killing one another.

mannn.
do you think he means "rude" as in "ska"? Because ska is exciting to me, at my age. It just made me laugh to hear someone at a show yesterday calling things "rude" other than titties.

It's great that you mentioned it, because now I realize that pork pie hats (if that's what Ray's wearing) were also part of the Rude Boy subculture born in Jamaica in the early '60s. Where "rude" meant "cool" or "hip". So, if you think that Ray's jumping on a guy while shouting "I... AM... COOOOOOOOL!" it gets even funnier.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: LCB on February 20, 2006, 07:24:05 pm
The point was to demonstrate that Ray has, to quote Beef "a cruel sense of humor". That is what builds a rep. Any idjit can step on the hippie, the overkill in doing an elbow drop was part of the joke at Sound And Motion's expense. The rep is that Son of Rodney is a fighter with a brutally quirky style.

Plus, I gots to dig Sound's ponytail dangling from the shovel. Man.

Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: colmore on February 20, 2006, 09:15:50 pm
Hate to say it, but the last couple'a strips have been a small pinch of a letdown.

I was expecting a little more ultraviolence, given the buildup.  You know, something like you'd see in a movie with bad dubbing and a lot of Hong Kong actors kicking the crap out of each other and bad color balance and young Quentin Tarantino all young and sitting cross-legged too close to the TV and saying "ooooooh."

This isn't to say that many of the details, such as "rude" and the crane, and "doesn't like music." etc. haven't been great, but big-picture wise, where's the insane action we've been lead to expect?
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: robot_god on February 20, 2006, 09:26:34 pm
This strip contains a make-out scene in the second panel, confirming that Ray wants to get it on with Beef like a million times a day.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: V-Adore on February 20, 2006, 09:43:49 pm
This strip contains a make-out scene in the second panel, confirming that Ray wants to get it on with Beef like a million times a day.

To paraphrase Kibo -- dude, your kink is NOT OKAY.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 10:27:04 pm
This strip contains a make-out scene in the second panel, confirming that Ray wants to get it on with Beef like a million times a day.

Dammit, now that's ALL I can see when I look at the strip again.  It takes a special talent to completely and permanently warp an image, a can for you sir.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: littlefox on February 20, 2006, 10:56:36 pm
Yeah, yeah, everybody says they want a t-shirt with Education "I... AM... RUUUDE!" on it, but then make one and hardly anyone buys one.

My policy for any piece of clothing is that if it is over 10 dollars and will not keep me warm during a New England winter, it is not for me. Sorry, man. Maybe if it were like a very fine fleece jacket with "Education" on the back.
But I am a woman so you never know. I might just go on some sort of buying rampage.

I, too, am disappointed about Ray only beating up two dudes and having a huge following over it. I expected FAR more owning.

Does it seem to anybody else like it would be impossible to sleep at the GOF? So by the end of the third day, all the dudes have gone insane from sleep deprivation. Maybe Son of Rodney's guys could like, stand guard while he gets a power-nap.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 20, 2006, 11:52:10 pm
Look at Leander resume his familiar creepy hand-rubbing pose as soon as Ray dismounts, all enamored with Son of Rodney's execution.  For Leander, this is like some sort of fantasy camp where you pay $3000 to spend a weekend hitting softballs lobbed by 1970s Yankees, eventually coming across a passed out Reggie Jackson and turning him onto his stomach so that he doesn't choke on his own puke.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: Doc on February 21, 2006, 03:38:34 am
See I thought Leander was clapping, he is just so full of joy at watching the Son of Rodney do his thing.
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocaine
Post by: Tangle on February 21, 2006, 08:41:08 am
I definitely saw it as a hands-clasped-together thing. And in his mind he's going "yes...excellent."
Title: Re: February 20th, 2006 - Some have said he was weaned on chicken milk and cocai
Post by: miles on February 22, 2006, 05:31:09 am
Look at Leander resume his familiar creepy hand-rubbing pose as soon as Ray dismounts, all enamored with Son of Rodney's execution.  For Leander, this is like some sort of fantasy camp where you pay $3000 to spend a weekend hitting softballs lobbed by 1970s Yankees, eventually coming across a passed out Reggie Jackson and turning him onto his stomach so that he doesn't choke on his own puke.

I sent a baseball card to Reggie Jackson to autograph, in a SASE, mind you, and he never sent it back.  Asshole.