The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Immortal on February 24, 2006, 08:01:35 am

Title: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Immortal on February 24, 2006, 08:01:35 am
well, um,... hi

i don't mean to solicit, i hope this isn't seen as such a thing. it's just that... i have this fantasy baseball league on yahoo!, and i just thought.. you know, if anyone wants to join, they can.

here's the info, if you're interested:

go to http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com
join a private league
league ID: 77021
password: baseball
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: lprkn on February 24, 2006, 04:01:44 pm
Fantasy Baseball: D&D for baseball fans.

I'm just sayin'.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Emmoh on February 24, 2006, 04:05:40 pm
We're posting on an internet message board designed for a web comic. Let's not delude ourselves here.

Immortal, what kind of draft?
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Immortal on February 24, 2006, 05:15:12 pm
live draft at noon on the first saturday in march


and as for it being D&D for baseball fans... it SO is. i'll admit that. but that doesn't stop it from being slightly cool
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: lprkn on February 24, 2006, 06:01:47 pm
Not ridiculing the fantasy baseball, just callin' 'em like I sees 'em.

Perhaps in a different world, (in which I would know something about baseball) I too, would be a part of the fantasy.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Emmoh on February 24, 2006, 06:15:32 pm
At least fantasy baseball is based in reality.

In true dork form, I've played SIM baseball, which is an online baseball game where you're at the whim of a random number generator. I might as well had been rolling the twelve sided die.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: V-Adore on February 25, 2006, 04:02:44 am
Hey, baseball fans need D&D too. It's unfair that we D&D geeks should greedily hoard the world's supply for ourselves.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: miles on February 26, 2006, 05:05:09 pm
I've never even considered this, even though I used to collect baseball cards and still have we dreams about watching a game in Shea Stadium (for which I am trying to buy tickets like right now.  It's hella slow).

But it could be fun...although I tend to have lots of things that waste my spare time already.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 12:51:44 am
Hey, baseball fans need D&D too. It's unfair that we D&D geeks should greedily hoard the world's supply for ourselves.

I remember a game where you played football, but with a team made up of ogres and trolls and stuff. I think D&D geeks and Sports Geeks have already intermingled in horrible ways.

The ball looked like a big eyeball, it might have been alive.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Ben-San on February 28, 2006, 01:58:39 am
I remember a game where you played football, but with a team made up of ogres and trolls and stuff. I think D&D geeks and Sports Geeks have already intermingled in horrible ways.

The ball looked like a big eyeball, it might have been alive.

Blood Bowl. There was a big tournament at the last sf convention I went to.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Emmoh on February 28, 2006, 09:17:09 am
That sounds like Mutant League Football?
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2006, 07:00:08 pm
The MFL, or: What the XFL wanted to be so bad that it hurt. - A harrowing tale in three parts by Vincent McMahon, Esq.

Everything comes back to wrestling. Everything.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 01, 2006, 06:23:16 pm
I joined, swelling the league to 4 teams.  What's the minimum on the number of teams we need to make this happen?
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 01, 2006, 09:26:53 pm
Blood Bowl. There was a big tournament at the last sf convention I went to.

No, I remember a computer game like this too. Real long time ago, though.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Ben-San on March 01, 2006, 10:21:19 pm
No, I remember a computer game like this too. Real long time ago, though.

Ah, okay. Well, Blood Bowl's been around for a while (I remember ads for it in the late 80s) and fits the description pretty much exactly, so the confusion is understandable.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 01, 2006, 10:33:32 pm
Blood Bowl. There was a big tournament at the last sf convention I went to.

So that's what it takes to get you out of the house.

~Paul
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Immortal on March 02, 2006, 12:17:08 am
I joined, swelling the league to 4 teams.  What's the minimum on the number of teams we need to make this happen?

theoretically it can be done with any number of even teams, but the best number would be 8 or 10. if you have any friends who would like to join, spread the word. if there aren't enough people, i may have to push the draft date back a week or so
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Ben-San on March 02, 2006, 02:42:42 am
So that's what it takes to get you out of the house.

Yep. Science-fiction conventions and the Internet are my primary sources of social interaction. Feel free to underline how pathetic that is, because I have never been aware of it and certainly don't find myself unable to sleep late at night as I berate myself over my complete social crippling and myriad other failures.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 02, 2006, 02:54:14 am
Yep. Science-fiction conventions and the Internet are my primary sources of social interaction. Feel free to underline how pathetic that is, because I have never been aware of it and certainly don't find myself unable to sleep late at night as I berate myself over my complete social crippling and myriad other failures.

You'll get none of that from these quarters.  I was just happy to know that you aren't a complete agoraphobic.

~Paul
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Ben-San on March 02, 2006, 03:48:52 am
You'll get none of that from these quarters.  I was just happy to know that you aren't a complete agoraphobic.

Sorry, I get defensive easily. Yeah, I enjoy cons - I tend to spend all dang weekend in the games room. I love board games, card games, RPGs, &c. but don't usually have anyone to play with. This January I bought a copy of Betrayal At House On The Hill at Arisia despite knowing that I won't have a group for it until this summer.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: V-Adore on March 02, 2006, 04:59:30 am
Sorry, I get defensive easily. Yeah, I enjoy cons - I tend to spend all dang weekend in the games room. I love board games, card games, RPGs, &c. but don't usually have anyone to play with. This January I bought a copy of Betrayal At House On The Hill at Arisia despite knowing that I won't have a group for it until this summer.

Man, we'd better play the HELL out of Betrayal at WhateverWe'reCallingItCon. This I decree!

also, hella Captain Scarlet. I have to show you guys the episode with the sniper rifle.
Title: Re: fantasy baseball?
Post by: Emmoh on March 02, 2006, 09:42:39 am
I tried to join, but my accounts already filled, apparently. I have other Yahoo accounts I could put it on, but I don't want to be a shitty owner (and don't want to admit to myself that I need more than one Yahoo account for fantasy baseball.) If needed, I'll bend though...