The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on March 24, 2006, 08:32:18 am

Title: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: oball on March 24, 2006, 08:32:18 am
Aww HELL yeah! (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03242006)

Nice.  That last panel is brilliant.

I also like the unshaven, bags-under-his-eyes, armpit stained Téodor.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 24, 2006, 08:46:53 am
Oh man.  Oh Man.  Oh Man.  Man!
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: jough on March 24, 2006, 08:48:35 am
So now they're just on a blood-thirsty rampage?

Anyway, a fitting end to the fight.  I liked Teodor's stubble - obviously he's been up and following the action for three whole days.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: evan on March 24, 2006, 08:51:45 am
(http://www.i-got-problems.com/lyle.png)
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: MattFish on March 24, 2006, 08:52:23 am
what a way to end it. Quotable quotes include "WOOT" and "Good!"
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 24, 2006, 08:53:37 am
I'm actually kinda dissapointed because there was no standoff v. rodney.  I would've liked to have seen that go down.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: MattFish on March 24, 2006, 08:55:59 am
I'm actually kinda dissapointed because there was no standoff v. rodney.  I would've liked to have seen that go down.

However this goes, what happened to Dad will have to be touched upon somehow, and if he's alive, there will be a confrontation. Too many loose ends otherwise.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: bonaparte on March 24, 2006, 09:59:54 am
As soon as a saw the first panel, I could not help but think of Meat Loaf's "I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)."  That part where the piano is just fast and furious, maybe play it straight through the strip in the background as the guys celebrate and Ray and Beef just drive off and tears swell up in everyone's eyes.  It just goes so perfectly.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Apemantus on March 24, 2006, 10:05:04 am
It ain't over until the fat lady pens a calligraphically pleasing FIN in the South East of the most bottom righthand panel.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: dejavroom on March 24, 2006, 11:31:23 am
It ain't over. It so ain't over.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: weareas1 on March 24, 2006, 12:38:00 pm
<<  It ain't over. It so ain't over.  >>

No, not by any stretch.  At least not until they stop off at Vlad's Subway for a couple of Cold Cut Trios.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: misterqueue on March 24, 2006, 12:48:48 pm
A few gems:

- Vlad's Expression
- Lyle  (Then again I love anything to do with Lyle)
- The Latino Health Crisis' silently raised arm.  (I picture him saying "Vaya Con Dios Mi Amigos!")
- Leanders One Footed Foppish-Hop (Which I think is actually a drink somewhere.. it has coconut infused rum in it)
- Ray's quicklike change into the motorcycle helmet.

The only thing I don't understand is Philippe's "Good!"  It seems a little out of place.  I assume Teodor read the blog aloud?  Maybe Philippe is just happy that Ray and Mr Roasted Beef are okay.  (In my mind Lyle turns around and belts him "Shaddap you!")
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Doc on March 24, 2006, 01:22:28 pm
I basically hope this is it for the Fight. A chase down by Rodney or whoever else would seem too contrived at this point. If we do see Rodney again I'd expect it to be a more  'next time gadget.... NEEEXT TIIIIIIIME' context.

Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: acoxcae on March 24, 2006, 01:38:57 pm
Before I comment on this strip, I'd just like to say:  Good work Onstad.  During this 5-business-day week, you've produced 5 strips, one per day, and published them at a consistent time.  This is excellent.  I worry, however, that you might be setting an unreasonable precedent.  Maybe you should slow down a little, before we come to expect this of you always.

That said, good strip - although I never picked Leander to say "woot."  As has been pointed out, I wager there's at least one more day (a homecoming, most likely, I don't see Rodney getting involved), since we haven't seen the -fin-.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Jeepers on March 24, 2006, 02:30:07 pm
It's been a month and a half since Beef and Ray pulled up to the gates of the Fight.

Hopefully next week will be a day or two of denouement, and then O can get back to bringing me the same laughs that got me addicted to this damn comic in the first place.

Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: wombat on March 24, 2006, 02:46:14 pm
It's been a month and a half since Beef and Ray pulled up to the gates of the Fight.

In fact I was just looking for something in the archives and noted that this story arc began on January 11 with Todd's cell phone nutsack idea.   So it's been the better part of three months.  Of this whole year.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Emergent_C on March 24, 2006, 02:49:59 pm
Unlike everyone else, Barry looks completely uninjured. I could see him carefully avoiding the fray and surreptitiously hitching a ride on the crane bucket when the last of his mates was picked up.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2006, 03:03:34 pm
Damn T looks haggard.  I'll be he's hit refresh like 20,000 times in 3 days.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: colmore on March 24, 2006, 03:04:25 pm
Kinda like the end of Return of the Jedi.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 24, 2006, 03:13:32 pm
I'm actually kinda dissapointed because there was no standoff v. rodney.  I would've liked to have seen that go down.

Who says Rodney won't be there to meet them upon their return?
Or harass them on the road?
OR IS HANGING OFF THE BACK OF THE MOTORCYCLE?
Besides, fuck old people, even if they were cool once they're irrelevant NOW. (Hi Wombat!)

The best line was Phillipe's "Good!"
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 24, 2006, 03:16:11 pm
Before I comment on this strip, I'd just like to say:  Good work Onstad.  During this 5-business-day week, you've produced 5 strips, one per day, and published them at a consistent time.  This is excellent.  I worry, however, that you might be setting an unreasonable precedent.  Maybe you should slow down a little, before we come to expect this of you always.

Probably, Chris Onstad wasn't working 5 days a week was due to a confluence of several factors:
- lack of a truly inspiring storyline
- lack of an overarching storyline in general
- having to come up with the story on the fly
- having a very young baby

The first three are an artist's dread. It means taking Tuesday off to play with silly putty and come up with ideas.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 24, 2006, 04:20:11 pm
Although this is a great strip and an excellent climax to the Fight, I have to say...

..there is a truly upsetting amount of cat bonch on display in panel three.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Emergent_C on March 24, 2006, 04:37:41 pm
..there is a truly upsetting amount of cat bonch on display in panel three.

Eh, most of that ain't nothin but stuffin.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: robot_god on March 24, 2006, 06:36:49 pm
Although this is a great strip and an excellent climax to the Fight, I have to say...

..there is a truly upsetting amount of cat bonch on display in panel three.


Is you prude, boy!?
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 24, 2006, 06:56:10 pm
Although this is a great strip and an excellent climax to the Fight, I have to say...

..there is a truly upsetting amount of cat bonch on display in panel three.


You've not had his life.

Chris Onstad, bravely forging new and exciting ways of getting dudes to look at cat bonch on the internet.  God Bless You Sir.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: V-Adore on March 24, 2006, 07:05:11 pm
The facial expressions, people. The facial expressions.

The vertical alignment of the reaction panels -- first, SoRod's posse cheering the victors on, then the Achewood posse in response to Gasps and Giggles -- is delightful. And I can't even pick a favorite moment here -- "WOOT!" and "Good!" are about tied, although Vlad's expression is also extremely priceless.

Delightful.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Hobot on March 24, 2006, 07:33:20 pm
"...count your daughters!" is at the top of my list of favourite moments.

The only thing I don't understand is Philippe's "Good!"  It seems a little out of place.  I assume Teodor read the blog aloud?  Maybe Philippe is just happy that Ray and Mr Roasted Beef are okay.  (In my mind Lyle turns around and belts him "Shaddap you!")

You just don't like Philippe.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: MSC on March 24, 2006, 07:37:36 pm
The facial expressions, people. The facial expressions.

The vertical alignment of the reaction panels -- first, SoRod's posse cheering the victors on, then the Achewood posse in response to Gasps and Giggles -- is delightful. And I can't even pick a favorite moment here -- "WOOT!" and "Good!" are about tied, although Vlad's expression is also extremely priceless.

Delightful.

Yes, this whole arc has been some new art terrain for Mr. Onstad.  Very well done.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Ben-San on March 24, 2006, 07:45:36 pm
So now they're just on a blood-thirsty rampage?

No, I'm pretty sure that's just Barry's interpretation of events. With the fight behind them, the only rampage Ray's going on is the focused massacre of a squadron of beers and three and a half pounds of sauerkraut.

Also, The Latino Health Crisis' pose + expression wins it for me.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Drygioni on March 24, 2006, 07:50:10 pm
While there was no obvious punchline, visual gag or so forth, it made me chuckle. And that is what Achewood is all about.

I wasn't expecting a strip today due to the strenuous (at least by his standards) schedule Onstad has been running here, but like a tiny angel it appeared anyhow. Thanks Mr Onstad!

However, Leander's woot seemed completely.. wrong somehow. I guess I'll never accept the fact he can, indeed, speak.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: misterqueue on March 24, 2006, 08:05:26 pm
You just don't like Philippe.

You're not allowed to use INSIDE information when analyzing my posts.  Curse you Hoboticus.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: wombat on March 24, 2006, 08:11:55 pm
You... you don't like Philippe?
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 24, 2006, 08:12:18 pm
You're not allowed to use INSIDE information when analyzing my posts.  Curse you Hoboticus.

get a room
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: misterqueue on March 24, 2006, 08:13:24 pm
get a room

We already have one... or are you saying we need another IRC channel?  I'm not sure what you mean here Bobby.

Anyway no womby, not as such do I enjoy the Philippe.*

*Unless he's getting punched by Lyle or told horrible things by LieBot.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: weareas1 on March 24, 2006, 09:05:11 pm
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Monday's strip open with a series of pictures of Ray removing his shades, blinking his eyes, then rubbing them, then reaching over to the nightstand, picking up his cell phone and dialing --  beep beep boop bip beep boop bip...  pause... "Beef?  Ray.  Dude, I totally just had the wierdest dream."

Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 24, 2006, 09:10:07 pm
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Monday's strip open with a series of pictures of Ray removing his shades, blinking his eyes, then rubbing them, then reaching over to the nightstand, picking up his cell phone and dialing --  beep beep boop bip beep boop bip...  pause... "Beef?  Ray.  Dude, I totally just had the wierdest dream."



Or he walks out of the shower.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: sensate on March 24, 2006, 09:13:54 pm
I wonder how Molly's going to react to this. Does she get all hot for her cool customer bad-ass boyfriend, or will she think he was stupid for risking his life for pride?

I can see Tina making a beeline back to Ray, though.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Hobot on March 24, 2006, 09:50:47 pm
I wonder how Molly's going to react to this. Does she get all hot for her cool customer bad-ass boyfriend, or will she think he was stupid for risking his life for pride?

I can see Tina making a beeline back to Ray, though.

Nah, Molly's too classy (read: too much of a bitch) to be impressed with any studly displays of asskickery on the part of Beef.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Nate_Small on March 24, 2006, 10:12:51 pm
Ray might have defeated the GOF...but diabetes still lurks in the shadows...
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Drygioni on March 24, 2006, 10:16:04 pm
Ray might have defeated the GOF...but diabetes still lurks in the shadows...

No way Ray's getting diabetes after THAT workout.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Nate_Small on March 24, 2006, 10:26:52 pm
Have you ever had Christian Brothers? That shit is just a step above Night Train in the "sugary alcoholic beverages" dept.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2006, 10:33:12 pm
Nah, Molly's too classy (read: too much of a bitch) to be impressed with any studly displays of asskickery on the part of Beef.

It ain't matter what Molly thinks, Beef is an international superstar now, he's gonna be getting so much pussy he'll forget that bitch's name.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 24, 2006, 10:38:12 pm
I realized that I've been missing something important.  Why is there stubble on T's head?  That's weird.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: robot_god on March 24, 2006, 10:41:04 pm
I realized that I've been missing something important.  Why is there stubble on T's head?  That's weird.

A bear grows hair all over his head.  A stuffed bear grows hair all over his head.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: FlipConstantine on March 24, 2006, 10:51:34 pm
yeah but does he shave his head?  Or am I just misinterpreting messiness as a lack of dedication to head shaving.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: V-Adore on March 24, 2006, 10:55:51 pm
I interpreted that as the wacky frizziness that stuffed animals will develop if played with too athletically, which would fit with Teodor's non-grooming patterns. Teodor doesn't normally have "hair" drawn in the same way that Beef doesn't -- it's there, but it's not interesting unless there's a different hairstyle going on or such.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2006, 12:21:51 am
He hasn't been brushing his hair and it is sticking up. It's tousled.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: jcreed on March 25, 2006, 08:55:26 pm
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Monday's strip open with a series of pictures of Ray removing his shades, blinking his eyes, then rubbing them, then reaching over to the nightstand, picking up his cell phone and dialing --  beep beep boop bip beep boop bip...  pause... "Beef?  Ray.  Dude, I totally just had the wierdest dream."

But then there's the hat on the pillow next to him to prove that it really happened.

ohhhh shiiiit
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2006, 05:19:25 pm
Is LHC doing that thing where you tap your chest with your fist?

~Paul
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: CortJstr on March 26, 2006, 11:16:46 pm
Nah, Molly's too classy (read: too much of a bitch) to be impressed with any studly displays of asskickery on the part of Beef.

Molly would be hugely pissed at Beef for leaving town without telling her. The actually danger aspects wouldn't enter into the conversation until he'd been thoroughly chewed out for this.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Doc on March 27, 2006, 08:03:52 am
Nah, she'd chew him out for about 3 seconds before the 1940s tough man side of Beef, brought out by the Fight, makes him just stare at cut in with 'The Hell you say' and then they make out against a sunset. Totally Nate Smallin' it.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 27, 2006, 03:14:28 pm
Double length strip tomorrow... but seriously, when was the last time we saw a single-length cartoon?

Will Onstad ever be able to get away with a four-panel job again? Smart money's on "no."
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: Ben-San on March 27, 2006, 05:34:37 pm
Nah, she'd chew him out for about 3 seconds before the 1940s tough man side of Beef, brought out by the Fight, makes him just stare at cut in with 'The Hell you say' and then they make out against a sunset. Totally Nate Smallin' it.

This does raise the point that Molly might be the only lady who ever liked to read Nate Small (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03192003) and thus may respect the manly combat of the Great Outdoor Fight.
Title: Re: March 24th 2006 - They WILL NOT be sated!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 28, 2006, 04:51:52 am
Not to be Billy Literal or anything here but... I have to think that Molly's probably rather hip on the issue of risking one's life, being an illegal immigrant from heaven herself, having met and been wooed by Beef during his many times dead.

Once you're sure there's some kind of afterlife, anyway, even if its going to hell or a burnt-out kinda-crappy heaven, it takes a little zest out of the whole "don't risk your life for an IDEA, Beef, I NEED you HERE!" If he died and she missed him so much, she could just trick Phillipe into killing her, in his innocence.

"Now, we're going to play the hold-down-the-pillow game..."

"I love games!"

Etc.