The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Xngurevar on April 05, 2006, 02:37:13 pm

Title: Russian Writing
Post by: Xngurevar on April 05, 2006, 02:37:13 pm
Braces are hard to do right.  I never got good at them until I took a course on set theory.  Now I write the crispest, pointiest braces you ever did see.  Too bad the only braces I write these days are on the computer.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: lprkn on April 05, 2006, 04:13:21 pm
I've even begun getting creative with my Russian script.

I am taking Russian, please elaborate.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Drastic Action on April 05, 2006, 04:41:19 pm
Whoah!  I never realized that.  People around here always just referred to one as curly, and the others as not so.  I just figured I would deal with the mild confusion.  But that makes sense.  Good good.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 05, 2006, 04:44:59 pm
I am taking Russian, please elaborate.

More than (http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1821/dsc008499zn.jpg) you ever cared (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9018/dsc008502fr.jpg) to know (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7666/dsc008529gb.jpg).
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 05, 2006, 05:47:45 pm
Υ мзня есть бумага.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 05, 2006, 06:06:43 pm
More than (http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1821/dsc008499zn.jpg) you ever cared (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9018/dsc008502fr.jpg) to know (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7666/dsc008529gb.jpg).

what's the thing that looks like an l with a bar over it?  (second picture, 4th letter)

EVERYONE TALK RUSSIAN NOW.

очень хорошо!
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: smick on April 05, 2006, 06:30:05 pm
what's the thing that looks like an l with a bar over it?  (second picture, 4th letter)

EVERYONE TALK RUSSIAN NOW.

очень хорошо!

Oh man, is SO cool!

(That's about as much Russian as I know)
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: pmcd9 on April 05, 2006, 06:39:23 pm
More than (http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1821/dsc008499zn.jpg) you ever cared (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9018/dsc008502fr.jpg) to know (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7666/dsc008529gb.jpg).

Are these from your own dear hand Hobot?  What do they read?

~Paul
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 05, 2006, 06:51:24 pm
what's the thing that looks like an l with a bar over it?  (second picture, 4th letter)

EVERYONE TALK RUSSIAN NOW.

[Omitted due to annoying smilies]

That's how I write my "t"s, because my professor permits us to do so (and everyone I know of in my class has taken her up on this allowance).  I really should get into the habit of writing them correctly, though.

[Again, omitted]

EDIT:  Okay, so the Cyrillic works when other people type it, but not when I quote it or type it myself.  I figured this would happen.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 05, 2006, 06:56:42 pm
I took Russian for one (1) quarter in college but bailed on it after being informed that not only would I have to learn a whole new alphabet but that I'd also have to learn how to write it in cursive.

Dosvidanya, Boris.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 05, 2006, 08:08:27 pm
Are these from your own dear hand Hobot?  What do they read?

~Paul

Yes, Paul, these are a select few of the flashcards I make to facilitate studying vocabulary words.  The first is pronounced "chor'-ni ko'-fyeh," and means black coffee; the second is the declension of the adjective clean (in the Nominative case) and the forms are pronounced "chi'-sti," "chi-sty'-ah," "chi-sto'-yeh," and "chi-sti'-yeh"; and the third is also a declension of an adjective, this one meaning young, and its forms are pronounced "mah-lah-doy'," "mah-lah-dy'-ah," "mah-lah-do'-yeh," and "mah-lah-dee'-yeh."

I know there are more experienced Russian speakers than I on this board; if the pronunciations I've given are deemed inaccurate, I would defer to the opinion of said people.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: theinevitable on April 05, 2006, 08:33:35 pm
wow.
I love how I was sitting at school today, and I decided I should take a picture of one of the cool letters, and LO you have done it.

Writing in russian is hell of more impressive. i guess I'll bury those pictures of my writing in the backyard.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 05, 2006, 09:04:51 pm
I know there are more experienced Russian speakers than I on this board; if the pronunciations I've given are deemed inaccurate, I would defer to the opinion of said people.

You sure as hell don't mean me.  I took three semesters of Russian in college, and it's as good as gone.  My practical, real-world usage of Russian consists of saying "We need three chairs, right?" to a Russian dude at a meeting in Germany.  I still remember bits here and there (my post above says "I have a piece of paper"), and can still read Cyrillic, but if claimed to be a Russian speaker at this point I'd be lying.

My German, now that's good shit.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: lprkn on April 06, 2006, 01:43:05 am
Yeah, I was wondering about that, Carlos. I was like, "He has paper? Okay."

I am currently in my second semester of Russian. I like it a lot.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 06, 2006, 05:25:08 pm
More than (http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1821/dsc008499zn.jpg) you ever cared (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9018/dsc008502fr.jpg) to know (http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7666/dsc008529gb.jpg).

short cursive Ef looks like a c*ck

with some balls
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 06, 2006, 05:26:10 pm
short cursive Ef looks like a c*ck

with some balls

Thank you, Bobby.  Thanks for that.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: jough on April 06, 2006, 05:26:24 pm
Bobby, everything looks like a cock and balls to you.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: lprkn on April 06, 2006, 08:48:33 pm
The best is the Russian word for "how". It's spelled "kak" and pronounced "cock".

The second best word in Russian is "Babushka". It is mostly just fun to say.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 06, 2006, 08:57:01 pm
The best is the Russian word for "how". It's spelled "kak" and pronounced "cock".

The second best word in Russian is "Babushka". It is mostly just fun to say.

Vlad once starred in a porn movie called "Cock Dela?" about the world's friendliest nymphomaniac.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 06, 2006, 09:22:21 pm
Vlad once starred in a porn movie called "Cock Dela?" about the world's friendliest nymphomaniac.

I think you just made my day sir.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 06, 2006, 11:44:13 pm
The best is the Russian word for "how". It's spelled "kak" and pronounced "cock".

The second best word in Russian is "Babushka". It is mostly just fun to say.

The prize goes to the adjective "skootchni," which means boring.

By the way, lprkn, which textbook are you using in your class?
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 06, 2006, 11:54:59 pm
The prize goes to the adjective "skootchni," which means boring.

My favorite is бстречатся (v-stree-chat-sya) "to meet" because it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PRONOUNCE
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2006, 12:28:18 am
We are using Голоса, which means "Voices" or something. It's ok. They do have audio files on their website (http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/golosa.htm), which is cool, although I never use them.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 07, 2006, 12:38:51 am
Ah, we are using "Nachalo" ("Beginning").  It came with an audio CD that I never listen to, and there is a running storyline throughout the books (of which there are two; one for first and another for second year Russian) with a video that we occasionally watch in class.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2006, 01:20:21 am
My favorite is бстречатся (v-stree-chat-sya) "to meet" because it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PRONOUNCE

I see that it is a reflexive verb, so do you know in what sense it means to meet? I have not encountered this word before.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 07, 2006, 01:44:29 am
I see that it is a reflexive verb, so do you know in what sense it means to meet? I have not encountered this word before.

the dictionary entry says that it means "to meet each other".  So i guess it's reflexive in that sense?
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: miles on April 07, 2006, 03:01:49 am
Ah, we are using "Nachalo" ("Beginning").  It came with an audio CD that I never listen to, and there is a running storyline throughout the books (of which there are two; one for first and another for second year Russian) with a video that we occasionally watch in class.

Ah, "Nachalo."  It's one of the few textbooks I haven't sold, because, damnit, I'm gonna learn Russian one of these days.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2006, 04:29:00 am
I keep saying that about Latin.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2006, 05:02:59 am
I'm tempted to try one a total immersion program (http://sras.org/program.phtml?m=17) to help my fluency, but they are expensive.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 07, 2006, 02:36:15 pm
We are using Голоса, which means "Voices" or something. It's ok. They do have audio files on their website (http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/golosa.htm), which is cool, although I never use them.

That's the textbook I used.  My witty classmates were all "Голоса?  More like Gol-uh-SUCK!"  I think they were bitter because our prof insisted that Americans could never have patronyms, even if it's easy to add -vich to your dad's name and pretend.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 07, 2006, 02:42:39 pm
That's the textbook I used.  My witty classmates were all "Голоса? More like Gol-uh-SUCK!"  I think they were bitter because our prof insisted that Americans could never have patronyms, even if it's easy to add -vich to your dad's name and pretend.

Or "-ovna."  Mine actually works (Davidovna), but I feel sorry for the people in my class whose fathers are named Charles (Charlesovna?  Charlesovich?  That sounds terrible.), and for the guy who is named after his father, so his name and patronymic are Fernando Fernandovich.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2006, 04:12:12 pm
That's the textbook I used.  My witty classmates were all "Голоса?  More like Gol-uh-SUCK!"  I think they were bitter because our prof insisted that Americans could never have patronyms, even if it's easy to add -vich to your dad's name and pretend.

What about Johnson? Or Mc*?
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Hobot on April 07, 2006, 04:33:21 pm
What about Johnson? Or Mc*?

Patronymics are derived from one's father's first name.  Foreign surnames remain the same unless you are female, in which case an "a" is added to the end of the name.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2006, 05:36:50 pm
My favorite Russian word is "razgovarivat," which is basically "to chat idly," "to shoot the shit."

Speaking of "Kak," I like that the greeting "Kak zhivyosh?" is literally "How you livin'?"
Title: Re: sweet, Ray
Post by: Mite on April 07, 2006, 05:56:55 pm
You russian speaking folks might like Everyone Drunk but Me (http://www.bigcheesepress.com/brandt.php), a cute little journal comic about a Laura Beth, who is a grad student studying Russian. It used to run at my uni's newspaper, and it's funny, and it's very cute. She spent a year in Russia, and now teaches it somewhere in Oregon.

"The final will be essay. No multiple choice like 'How did Pushkin Die? Eaten by bear.'"

Starting Point on that site is good too, but it's ending. Rockstar Weekend is funny sometimes, but I dislike the art.
Title: Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2006, 06:03:18 pm
One of the more awesome things I ever heard a professor say was in Russian class.  The instructor was harping on us rolling our Rs, and was going around having us say "ррррры" (Cyrillic p = Roman r, for those not in the know).  She got to one girl who said "I can't do it.  I just can't."

The instructor paused, and then said "In Russia, if you cannot make this sound, we send you to special school."
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2006, 06:20:01 pm
Moved the Russian Writing from ACHEWOOD
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 07, 2006, 09:06:39 pm
спасибо товариш!

(spelling is indeed wrong, but i can't figger out how to make them keyboards make them other letters real well)
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: Hobot on April 08, 2006, 09:37:53 pm
That's how I write my "t"s, because my professor permits us to do so (and everyone I know of in my class has taken her up on this allowance).  I really should get into the habit of writing them correctly, though.


UPDATE: FlipConstantine, you will be pleased to learn that, thanks to you, I have now begun to write my "t"s the proper way (so that they look like English cursive "m"s).  You have changed my (Russian writing-related) life.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 08, 2006, 10:53:42 pm

UPDATE: FlipConstantine, you will be pleased to learn that, thanks to you, I have now begun to write my "t"s the proper way (so that they look like English cursive "m"s).  You have changed my (Russian writing-related) life.

It's the very least I could do.


Sorry I destroyed the one thing that made you unique amongst the teeming masses of russian speaking sheep.  Sorry.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: Hobot on April 09, 2006, 02:23:48 am
It's the very least I could do.


Sorry I destroyed the one thing that made you unique amongst the teeming masses of russian speaking sheep.  Sorry.

Now I'll have nothing to set me apart -- nothing!



Except these 300 POSTS.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: theinevitable on April 09, 2006, 08:00:47 pm
oh man
I really enjoyed Everyone is Drunk But me
Thank you, mite.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: wombat on April 09, 2006, 08:26:21 pm
I kind of liked that cartoon too, but it seemed like I kept randomly clicking on strips where a boyfriend had dumped her, so it was kind of depressing.  Either she had an awful lot of boyfriends dump her or I had rather odd luck of the draw.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: Mite on April 09, 2006, 09:10:30 pm
She's had two pretty bad long-distance breakups, but the rest of them are good, promise!

We all had mad crushes on Laura Beth in college. I met her once at The Plaza - best dive bar in Madison. Everyone was very drunk, including her. Good times.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: lprkn on April 11, 2006, 02:03:08 am
The internet is indeed circular. I just finished 'Everyone Drunk But Me' about two weeks ago. Got the link from this blog (http://fromrussiawithblog.blogspot.com/). I enjoyed the characterization of her Russian language professor the most of all.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: Mite on April 11, 2006, 11:21:23 am
Awesome - I'm glad she's getting hits. The other guys at the site have implied that she's far-and-away the most popular comic there, and I'm not suprised. I have one of hers on my fridge in which she fantasizes about Tony Blair. I've been carting it around since college.
Title: Re: Russian Writing
Post by: Hobot on April 11, 2006, 01:01:08 pm
Awesome - I'm glad she's getting hits. The other guys at the site have implied that she's far-and-away the most popular comic there, and I'm not suprised. I have one of hers on my fridge in which she fantasizes about Tony Blair. I've been carting it around since college.


I stayed up 'til 1:30 AM reading the comics; I may be exhausted, but I'm amused.