The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on April 13, 2006, 05:35:09 am

Title: Penny Arcade
Post by: jough on April 13, 2006, 05:35:09 am
Okay, after many mentions of Penny Arcade I went deep into their archives, all the way back to 1998, and have started reading.

Lots of laughs - I can remember when a Pentium III with hardware 3D acceleration was basically a tiny god.

But it was this strip that really got me hooked:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/09/08

Man, the memories, the laughs.  And I only have about a thousand strips left to read.  This site it basically like treasure.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: misterqueue on April 13, 2006, 09:07:14 am
Probably my favorite (fuck those Xbox people) (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/11/28)

Then of course Twisp and Catsby. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/04/07)  Though this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/11/24) is the one I quote more often.


Good times.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: LCB on April 13, 2006, 10:10:41 am
Admittedly, I don't look at PA as much as I used to, esp. over the past year. But I assure you, it has nothing to do with the approximately 54675685 awful PA rip-offs, wannabes and such that have been made ever since PA become really popular, or the plague of awful videogame humor webcomics in general.

That said a look at that early strip is a real reminder of how much Gabe's style has developed over the years.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: smick on April 13, 2006, 03:59:52 pm
Seriously...

You can see his recent influence with John K. in the last strip.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2006, 06:09:07 pm
This is such a cheap gag, but I'm still extremely fond of it. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/10/24)

Also, I've quoted this strip in real life. I'm not proud, but it was germane! (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/02/09)
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 13, 2006, 07:23:39 pm
V that Slippy strip brought back a lot of good laughs, thanks for that one.

This (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/06/19) one is probably my favorite out of the bunch. It has nothing to do with gaming, computers or technology at all, but it's funny.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: linnea on April 14, 2006, 01:46:45 am
PA is pretty rad. I even went to their 2004 PAX, which was jawesome. The spinoffs, ripoffs, and lame fanboys are tough to deal with, but I still love Gabe and Tycho. My favorite strip was the one about the angry EB employee taking Gabe's #####. Dammit, I can't seem to root through their archives to find the strip's date.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: misterqueue on April 14, 2006, 01:49:14 am
PA is pretty rad. I even went to their 2004 PAX, which was jawesome. The spinoffs, ripoffs, and lame fanboys are tough to deal with, but I still love Gabe and Tycho. My favorite strip was the one about the angry EB employee taking Gabe's ******. Dammit, I can't seem to root through their archives to find the strip's date.

Here you are. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/05/02)

Also Hi HI.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: CortJstr on April 14, 2006, 01:50:56 am
Wooo! Hi Linnea. How's Elbonia treating you?
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: linnea on April 14, 2006, 01:55:52 am
Hey you guys! Heh, I should have remembered that it was the KOTOR thing that had Gabe in the bad man's clutches. Anyway, things are good. The only bad thing about living up here is that I have inexplicably gained back all the weight I'd lost before I moved up here. So much for sticking on the Hacker's Diet. :P C'est la vie, I guess. Now that it's light outside until 10PM, I don't have much of an excuse for not going hiking or hitting the gym.

What have you guys been up to? I have been away far too long! I'm catching up on the forums right now.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: Mite on April 14, 2006, 02:06:13 am
Alright - another returner! I'm jealous of your long days. I know you've earned them now that long dark winter is over and all.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: linnea on April 14, 2006, 02:15:00 am
The long days are kind of a double edged sword. I'm on the board for our domestic violence shelter. Surprisingly, abuse goes up during the summer months. It seems that the extra daylight makes people manic. And the saddest fact of all is that Alaska has one of the highest rates of domestic violence in the country.

Anyway, morbidity aside, I can't wait for the sunshine to get going. The hills here are brown and dead looking at this time of year, but by June it will look like Ireland (except that we have almost no trees). It's gorgeous here year round, but especially in the summertime.
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 05:02:53 am
Somebody nicep4nts!

It is good to see you back here, my dear.  I figured starting a Penny Arcade thread would summon you. ;)

<3
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: linnea on April 15, 2006, 01:21:45 am
Somebody nicep4nts!

It is good to see you back here, my dear.  I figured starting a Penny Arcade thread would summon you. ;)

<3

Heh! You know me too well. Much looooove to the Jough! I sing a song of affection for Jough. <1 <2 <3 <4 <5 <6!
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: jough on April 15, 2006, 03:57:17 am
:D
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2006, 04:11:49 am
Heh! You know me too well. Much looooove to the Jough! I sing a song of affection for Jough. <1 <2 <3 <4 <5 <6!

Shit Jough, you gave her 1000 cans just for loving Uncle Tupelo, so I figure that should be worth about a million.

~Paul
Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: jough on April 15, 2006, 04:22:48 am
Yeah, I'd say it was too blatant an attempt to get on my good side, but coming from linnea it is just par for the course.  Much love to the Somebody nice#####.

Title: Re: Penny Arcade
Post by: miles on April 16, 2006, 11:03:22 pm
5000 posts!  Congratulations, Jough.