Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Penny Arcade  (Read 3268 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Penny Arcade
« on: April 13, 2006, 05:35:09 am »

Okay, after many mentions of Penny Arcade I went deep into their archives, all the way back to 1998, and have started reading.

Lots of laughs - I can remember when a Pentium III with hardware 3D acceleration was basically a tiny god.

But it was this strip that really got me hooked:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/09/08

Man, the memories, the laughs.  And I only have about a thousand strips left to read.  This site it basically like treasure.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:07:14 am »

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:10:41 am »

Admittedly, I don't look at PA as much as I used to, esp. over the past year. But I assure you, it has nothing to do with the approximately 54675685 awful PA rip-offs, wannabes and such that have been made ever since PA become really popular, or the plague of awful videogame humor webcomics in general.

That said a look at that early strip is a real reminder of how much Gabe's style has developed over the years.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 03:59:52 pm »

Seriously...

You can see his recent influence with John K. in the last strip.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:23:39 pm »

V that Slippy strip brought back a lot of good laughs, thanks for that one.

This one is probably my favorite out of the bunch. It has nothing to do with gaming, computers or technology at all, but it's funny.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 01:46:45 am »

PA is pretty rad. I even went to their 2004 PAX, which was jawesome. The spinoffs, ripoffs, and lame fanboys are tough to deal with, but I still love Gabe and Tycho. My favorite strip was the one about the angry EB employee taking Gabe's #####. Dammit, I can't seem to root through their archives to find the strip's date.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 01:49:14 am »

PA is pretty rad. I even went to their 2004 PAX, which was jawesome. The spinoffs, ripoffs, and lame fanboys are tough to deal with, but I still love Gabe and Tycho. My favorite strip was the one about the angry EB employee taking Gabe's ******. Dammit, I can't seem to root through their archives to find the strip's date.

Here you are.


Also Hi HI.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 01:50:56 am »

Wooo! Hi Linnea. How's Elbonia treating you?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 01:55:52 am »

Hey you guys! Heh, I should have remembered that it was the KOTOR thing that had Gabe in the bad man's clutches. Anyway, things are good. The only bad thing about living up here is that I have inexplicably gained back all the weight I'd lost before I moved up here. So much for sticking on the Hacker's Diet. :P C'est la vie, I guess. Now that it's light outside until 10PM, I don't have much of an excuse for not going hiking or hitting the gym.

What have you guys been up to? I have been away far too long! I'm catching up on the forums right now.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 02:06:13 am »

Alright - another returner! I'm jealous of your long days. I know you've earned them now that long dark winter is over and all.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 02:15:00 am »

The long days are kind of a double edged sword. I'm on the board for our domestic violence shelter. Surprisingly, abuse goes up during the summer months. It seems that the extra daylight makes people manic. And the saddest fact of all is that Alaska has one of the highest rates of domestic violence in the country.

Anyway, morbidity aside, I can't wait for the sunshine to get going. The hills here are brown and dead looking at this time of year, but by June it will look like Ireland (except that we have almost no trees). It's gorgeous here year round, but especially in the summertime.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 05:02:53 am »

Somebody nicep4nts!

It is good to see you back here, my dear.  I figured starting a Penny Arcade thread would summon you. ;)

<3

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 01:21:45 am »

Somebody nicep4nts!

It is good to see you back here, my dear.  I figured starting a Penny Arcade thread would summon you. ;)

<3

Heh! You know me too well. Much looooove to the Jough! I sing a song of affection for Jough. <1 <2 <3 <4 <5 <6!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Penny Arcade
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 03:57:17 am »

:D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up