The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_god on April 18, 2006, 07:45:10 am

Title: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: robot_god on April 18, 2006, 07:45:10 am
I would believe you never were a child. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04182006)

MAN, check out this dude.  Emeril really proves to be the Charlie Parker of Trashspotting.

And does Teodor have a job?  How does he afford all these luxuries.  Perhaps he just mooches off of Onstand, I dunno.

Also, Philippe seems to be holding his own just fine, I don't see what all the worry is about.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: jough on April 18, 2006, 07:58:18 am
I love how Lovely Rita seems to be the theme song of this particular excursion.

BROWN COUCH
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Doc on April 18, 2006, 08:22:56 am
I like the many, many small bills.
They are going to have to deal out bribes/fees to cheap people, but lots of bribes.

I'm still not sure I'm grooving on Emeril's sudden transformation into sherlock holmes: Teodore is so obviously there just to be amazed by his and Beef's powers of deduction, poor extraneous Teodore.

Additional: Teodore's childhood memories? Brilliant!
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: slumpman on April 18, 2006, 09:49:27 am
Greetings!

I would believe you never were a child. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04182006)

Also, Philippe seems to be holding his own just fine, I don't see what all the worry is about.

The hobo is giving Phillippe the option of losing a dollar or losing the dollar that his mummy gabe him. I don't know exactly what that means, but I assume it was something that he was born with and it sounds a little bit too much like hobo-slang for virginity to not be terrifying.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 11:21:25 am
oh geez.

I totally was reading that last panel wrong. It has now gone from being vaguely confusing to being terrifying.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Drygioni on April 18, 2006, 11:23:40 am
Greetings!

The hobo is giving Phillippe the option of losing a dollar or losing the dollar that his mummy gabe him. I don't know exactly what that means, but I assume it was something that he was born with and it sounds a little bit too much like hobo-slang for virginity to not be terrifying.

Why is it always with the Phillipe raping? Geez, some people.

Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Jeepers on April 18, 2006, 11:26:48 am
HAHA Funny.

I love the make believe cats.

Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: mrdna1 on April 18, 2006, 11:28:23 am
Wow, that's the last way I would've ever thought trashspotting to be linked up to this latest storyline.

I love how Philippe isn't scared at all and instead yelling at the creepy guy about the couch.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: trouserbat on April 18, 2006, 12:00:08 pm
BROWN COUCH

It's over there, by the dead guy with the felafel.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 01:01:39 pm
We will need flashlights and many many small bills.

I love it that the trashspotting powers can be used for good.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: MattFish on April 18, 2006, 01:23:36 pm
Thread title sorely lacks!

BROWN COUCH makes me happy. Philippe sure has a set on him.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Hobot on April 18, 2006, 01:26:34 pm
Téodor awkwardly stumbling after the baby duck leaves me all conflicted with sadness and joy.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2006, 01:56:46 pm
Why did Spongebath come along at all if he just has to wait in the car?
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 02:37:43 pm
Wow, that's the last way I would've ever thought trashspotting to be linked up to this latest storyline.

That's why Onstad writes the comic and we are just the peanut gallery.

I forgot to say I love it that Teodor orders pretentious special pork and beans in the mail from Oklahoma.  In the past I have sometimes complained about Teodor's character development, but now I think I see why he disturbs me. Perhaps it is because sometimes he holds an alive stuffed animal mirror up to ME.

Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: cellardoor on April 18, 2006, 02:59:56 pm
Aw! Love the lil' Teodor.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 03:22:20 pm
dang. BROWN COUCH! BROWN COUCH!

also, a person mentioned a falafel. What is the deal with these? I, until recently, thought a falafel was some kind of fried-dough thing. I swear I have seen these. I have seen these, and they were called something like "falafel". But apparently, in addition to being used to scrub people in the shower, they are some kind of salad-food or something?
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 03:29:06 pm
They're fried balls of garbanzo bean goodness. Also, they're about the only thing that kept any meat on my pansy vegan college boyfriend's frame.

I really loved the organic pork & beans. Reminds me of all the folks I know who buy only premade, ungodly expensive groceries form Whole Foods. One of my friends has started calling the place Whole Paycheck.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: smick on April 18, 2006, 03:39:03 pm
"Whole Paycheck"

I heard a fellow call Starbucks "Fourbucks".   That seems to have stuck in my head.

"BROWN COUCH BROWN COUCH BROWN COUCH"

I love when the little otter gets like this.   The stuffed otter appears to be in the mood to sit upon his couch and drink a tall glass of King Piss (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10192005).
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 18, 2006, 04:11:02 pm
Greetings!

The hobo is giving Phillippe the option of losing a dollar or losing the dollar that his mummy gabe him. I don't know exactly what that means, but I assume it was something that he was born with and it sounds a little bit too much like hobo-slang for virginity to not be terrifying.

It means Phillippe is five and the only place five year olds get money is from their parents

what the HELL people
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Formica on April 18, 2006, 04:27:43 pm
It means Phillippe is five and the only place five year olds get money is from their parents

what the HELL people

Yeah, I got it more as "junkie trying to jog the mind of a five year old about money" than "euphemism for anal rape". Then again, anal rape is where you find it.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 04:30:20 pm
in addition to being used to scrub people in the shower, they are some kind of salad-food or something?

I think you may be confusing falafel (http://www.falafelgame.com/eng/falafelhome.html) with loofa (http://www.luffa.info/).
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: acoxcae on April 18, 2006, 04:32:00 pm
I think you may be confusing falafel (http://www.falafelgame.com/eng/falafelhome.html) with loofa (http://www.luffa.info/).

A mistake easily made, but with dire consequences.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: slumpman on April 18, 2006, 04:37:10 pm
Yeah, I got it more as "junkie trying to jog the mind of a five year old about money" than "euphemism for anal rape".

Well i hope you're right, I like the lil' guy.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: vagittarius on April 18, 2006, 04:47:33 pm
Well i hope you're right, I like the lil' guy.
I agree, this is complete innocent bum talk and nothing more. A cartoonist who recently had a child would be unable to write the other thing.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2006, 04:48:44 pm
Yeah, not to be redundant or anything but, next time someone's not listening to me, I am DEFINITELY going to yell:

"BROWN COUCH! BROWN COUCH! PAY ATTENTION!"

It'd also make a decent underpinning for one of those techno-dance songs they play in head shops that are trying to "cross over" from selling to hippies and get into the lucrative raver market, that no one could actually dance to, that even ravers would not dance to, but is sort of a compromise between raver-techno and the fact that the samples are ironically funny to someone really really high.

Sort of neither giraffe nor fowl but close enough for the old guy with the beard and the bib jeans who isn't making his profit margin on Nag Champa and Darth Vader bongs, attempting to expand into the glow sticks and flavoured pacifier market, to put his daughter through college. She's going through a goth phase but she's going to end up an accountant and... it's going to break his heart.

It's going to break... giraffebeam McGuillicuddy or whatever his hippie name is's heart but he's gonna do it.

He'll stock the shelves with glitter shirts and "herbal ecstasy" if it means getting his daughter Starchild through college.

At least until he collapses into a pile of bitter tears upon finding out that, at college, she makes her friends call her "Karen".

Only then will he know that all the times he compromised his dreams for her were worth exactly doodley-squat.

And as he eats a gun in the aisle between the Black Light Posters and the Bead Curtains, the last thing he hears is:

"BROWN COUCH, BROWN COUCH, BUH-BUH-BROWN COUCH... BROOOOOOOOWN, BUH-BUH-BROOOOOOOWN, BROOOWN, BROWNBROWNBROWNBROWNBRU- PAY ATTENTION!"
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: AugustWest on April 18, 2006, 05:12:45 pm
Did you mean to post that here (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/)?
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 18, 2006, 05:37:32 pm
Teodor isn't a tack-on. He's along because he feels responsible for Philippe, having forgotten to tuck him in that night.

Spongebath is aliong because he carries a roll of ones. For the strippers, you know.

Wombat, you should write a mystery novel about a trashspotting sleuth with a pug.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: Formica on April 18, 2006, 05:57:41 pm
And as he eats a gun in the aisle between the Black Light Posters and the Bead Curtains, the last thing he hears is:

"BROWN COUCH, BROWN COUCH, BUH-BUH-BROWN COUCH... BROOOOOOOOWN, BUH-BUH-BROOOOOOOWN, BROOOWN, BROWNBROWNBROWNBROWNBRU- PAY ATTENTION!"

You win at the internets
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 06:01:47 pm
Wombat, you should write a mystery novel about a trashspotting sleuth with a pug.

Apparently I am way ahead of you. At least a week ago, well before this comic appeared, I wrote a scene where the sleuth takes an important clue out of the recycling, under cover of walking her Boston terrier.

This is kind of terrifying now that I realize it.  Is Onstad beaming stuff to the chip in my brain or what?  Oh well, I guess there are worse people to be under the mind-control of.  At least he's making a living at it - maybe it'll rub off.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2006, 07:37:37 pm
I find it astounding how much Li'l Teodor looks identical in size to Regular Teodor, minus the legs. Also the fact that he was wearing the same boot/pant style as a wee tot is sort of worrying. (Unless that's just the way his legs are, in which case aiiiiiiigh)

I don't find anyone superfluous here. Emeril is the brains; Teodor is the heart; Spongebath is the inevitable faithful companion; and Beef is the wheels. Fear the Galaxie's mighty power.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 07:46:50 pm
dang. I totally did confuse a falafel and a loofah. I hope nobody got an audio recording of me doing that, which will constantly be played on The Daily Show...
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: slumpman on April 18, 2006, 08:38:31 pm
I find it astounding how much Li'l Teodor looks identical in size to Regular Teodor, minus the legs. Also the fact that he was wearing the same boot/pant style as a wee tot is sort of worrying. (Unless that's just the way his legs are, in which case aiiiiiiigh)

I always assumed that, as alive stuffed animals, Teodor and the others were "born" the exact same size they are now. Only their intelligences have grown. Is there evidence to support this? I recall a child Lyle all the same size and playing with a gorilla, though i think that was a guest strip and so maybe not canonical
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: swinehund on April 18, 2006, 08:50:36 pm
I always assumed that, as alive stuffed animals, Teodor and the others were "born" the exact same size they are now. Only their intelligences have grown. Is there evidence to support this? I recall a child Lyle all the same size and playing with a gorilla, though i think that was a guest strip and so maybe not canonical

Wherein Philippe thinks he might be a little taller (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292002).

I also take this strip as evidence that he is five, and not retarded. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2711.0.html)
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: lprkn on April 18, 2006, 08:56:46 pm
Stuffed animals don't grow, they just get more and more used as time passes.

I think that Lyle has been used a lot.

Perhaps by a "Darlene?"
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: LCB on April 18, 2006, 10:26:46 pm
We know Teodor was something of a 'foodie' (ugh, I hate that term) but 6 dollars cans of pork and beans? A $300 ladle when one you could pick up at the dollar store would do the job just as well? I've known these sorts of people.

And yes, that derelict is simply asking if the otter has a dollar of his own or maybe perhaps one his mother gave him. Again, I've known homeless beggars to get all strangely specific when asking for money. "like, hey mister you gots some change for coffee mister, mebbe a dollar or one-a them dollar coins mebbe"
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2006, 10:28:21 pm
I always assumed that, as alive stuffed animals, Teodor and the others were "born" the exact same size they are now. Only their intelligences have grown. Is there evidence to support this? I recall a child Lyle all the same size and playing with a gorilla, though i think that was a guest strip and so maybe not canonical

Well there was the board's birthday (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003) although that was more of a "screw you" to us than canon. So how about Téodor's father (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10292003)?
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2006, 11:29:21 pm
We know Teodor was something of a 'foodie' (ugh, I hate that term) but 6 dollars cans of pork and beans? A $300 ladle when one you could pick up at the dollar store would do the job just as well? I've known these sorts of people.

I just assumed that everytime a character has something extravagant, its the ill-gotten gain of gambling with Ray, spent quickly that they might not give the money back to him out of pity first.

As an aside, when the homeless fella was rambling, I didn't get anything sexual out of the rambling, I just... you know, I don't know how the homeless gentlemen are up north in the San Fran area but around here, the homeless often say the same idea two or three slightly different ways in the same sentence. I mean, either they're homeless because they're mentally imbalanced or they've gone mentally imbalanced from BEING homeless, yeah? Just sounded like crazy homeless talk.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: slumpman on April 18, 2006, 11:48:54 pm
Apologies for bringing forced otter... shenanigans to the table. I heard the similar phrase "shake what your momma gave you" inside my head and got carried away! I've changed my mind now, but it wouldn't be the first time an achewood plot has culminated in  sexual indecency towards minors  (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07082004)


Well there was the board's birthday (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003) although that was more of a "screw you" to us than canon. So how about Téodor's father (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10292003)?

I'm not sure what to think of Teodor's family snap. Is it a real photo that he is remembering, or is it one of those imaginary panels that Onstad is fond of using to accompany punchline non-sequitors. But he does mention the fact that he was born, so that's good enough for me.
Title: Re: April 18, 2006 - That cost me three hundred bucks!
Post by: lprkn on April 18, 2006, 11:58:56 pm
Would a homeless person be able to use the MoviePhone Defense (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07092004)?